No votes
Dragons 1-12
27%
Dragons 13+
9%

Total votes: 11

Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: 2019 Rd 17 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by Ilanraiders »

The Rickman wrote: June 30, 2019, 1:31 pm Not a lot of changes needed, if we didn’t clock off just before halftime we win that game.

1. CNK
2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Cotric/Kris
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgo
10. Lui
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Sutton
17. Anybody but Horsburgh

Time to switch Bateman and Tapine into their natural positions IMO. Also, Horsburgh has just never done it for me, and I literally think we win if he wasn’t out there last night. It’s a massive reason I reckon we didn’t see him again after halftime too. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Stick drops him for next game
Horsburgh 1st game back and did look out of form, gave away 2-3 penalties in the 1st half.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ilanraiders wrote: July 3, 2019, 6:33 pm
The Rickman wrote: June 30, 2019, 1:31 pm Not a lot of changes needed, if we didn’t clock off just before halftime we win that game.

1. CNK
2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Cotric/Kris
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgo
10. Lui
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Sutton
17. Anybody but Horsburgh

Time to switch Bateman and Tapine into their natural positions IMO. Also, Horsburgh has just never done it for me, and I literally think we win if he wasn’t out there last night. It’s a massive reason I reckon we didn’t see him again after halftime too. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Stick drops him for next game
Horsburgh 1st game back and did look out of form, gave away 2-3 penalties in the 1st half.
Which would be less of an issue if he didn't give away dumb penalties on the regular.

He's already made a name for himself in that regard now and will probably continue to get pinged unless and until me makes himself a star player and gets a redemption story. Or tightens up his act. From what I understand he's a bit sloppy (pisshead) off the field and a bit sloppy on it. I'm not sure he's doing everything he can to be a good FG footy player right now. And it shows.

He might get a run until Young is back- or if stick punts him for Hunt who is doing good numbers in Mounties, it might be the signal he needs to get serious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well, like I’ve been saying all year (with the exception of one good game he had), Horsburgh has never impressed me, I just can’t see what people see in him. The game against the eels really rammed that home with a lazy, ill-disciplined performance that set-up parramatta getting back into the game. And obviously the coach wasn’t impressed either because he wasn’t seen again after halftime.

Having said all that, I genuinely do hope I’m wrong on this one
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

We won’t beat Dragons.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:59 am We won’t beat Dragons.
Please elaborate.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

greeneyed wrote: July 3, 2019, 7:37 pm
That rather tearfully makes my point that there is much more to RL than just the latest score. Magnificent work!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:Well, like I’ve been saying all year (with the exception of one good game he had), Horsburgh has never impressed me, I just can’t see what people see in him. The game against the eels really rammed that home with a lazy, ill-disciplined performance that set-up parramatta getting back into the game. And obviously the coach wasn’t impressed either because he wasn’t seen again after halftime.

Well lucky you're not the coach hey

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote: July 4, 2019, 1:37 pm
The Rickman wrote:Well, like I’ve been saying all year (with the exception of one good game he had), Horsburgh has never impressed me, I just can’t see what people see in him. The game against the eels really rammed that home with a lazy, ill-disciplined performance that set-up parramatta getting back into the game. And obviously the coach wasn’t impressed either because he wasn’t seen again after halftime.

Who's lucky?? Me or you??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 4, 2019, 1:48 pm

The entire Raiders organisation and it's broader fan base.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Leave the broader ones out of it, ****.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

BadnMean wrote: July 2, 2019, 12:41 pm Oldfield has been playing FB at Mounties when Simmonsen is up in FG, so easier just to slide him in there if an injury to CNK.

I'm 50/50 whether Hors gets a chance at redemption after his injury layoff. But to come back and look lazy... I can see your point.

Sutton straight out the back door? I don't think that will happen but he's a bit lost when not starting.

Comparing Sia to L Bateman is harsh. But I was hoping he'd find his zip again after the break to refresh but he is starting to look a but like the game is passing him by a bit too often.

Batmen and Tapine swap could tighten up the middle.
Holy crap! How could I have forgotten Sutton? Scrub my selection of Guler and replace him with Sutton. I think he would do okay as an impact player.

The reason I put Bateman into lock is so that he can wander around a bit more in attack. He has a decent swerve and sidestep and I'd like to see more of it.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah Bateman stepping through the middle and just being able to follow and back up around the ball is attractive.

Sutton hasn't found his groove as an impact forward yet. It's not familiar to him.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:21 pm Yeah Bateman stepping through the middle and just being able to follow and back up around the ball is attractive.
I still think it's his natural position. Allows Tapine to go back out wide where he's about a thousand percent more effective too, really is a no-brainer for me.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bateman to lock and Tapine to 2nd rower will happen again once Tapine more up to playing 80 on the edge

I predict it'll happen when Huddo Young is back
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Sid wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:32 pm Bateman to lock and Tapine to 2nd rower will happen again once Tapine more up to playing 80 on the edge

I predict it'll happen when Huddo Young is back
I feel like this could possibly be the view of our coaching staff but I don't think it's imperative that he plays 80min on an edge. You're right though, having Young in the team would make it an easier decision to switch Tapine and Bateman around.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sia, Havilli and Sutton/Hors relieve the middles, Young can do a 25-30 minute stint for Tapine on the edge... Not sure why we have to be robotic that our edges MUST play 80.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Agreed, BnM. Havili, Soliola, Young and Sutton really provides maximum versatility and impact from a bench.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:24 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 4, 2019, 3:21 pm Yeah Bateman stepping through the middle and just being able to follow and back up around the ball is attractive.
I still think it's his natural position. Allows Tapine to go back out wide where he's about a thousand percent more effective too, really is a no-brainer for me.
I also prefer Bateman in the middle. His footwork makes him a tricky target for the big boys and creates some 2nd phase play. By contrast I aslo think Tarps is better on the edge. He can be very dangerous when he finds a mismatch on the opposition's half defending out there. Switching the 2 lets you get the most out of each.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders meet and greet at ACTEWAGL House

Come and Meet the Raiders, grab a signature and a photo, thanks to ActewAGL.

Every attending fan goes into the draw to win a Fully Signed and Framed 2019 Raiders jersey!

The event will be supporting Vinnies, so bring a donation on the day to drop in the bucket.

Live crosses from the venue thanks to Mix 106.3 Canberra

Read more: https://www.facebook.com/events/2191902987601871/
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: July 4, 2019, 4:10 pm
I also prefer Bateman in the middle. His footwork makes him a tricky target for the big boys and creates some 2nd phase play. By contrast I aslo think Tarps is better on the edge. He can be very dangerous when he finds a mismatch on the opposition's half defending out there. Switching the 2 lets you get the most out of each.
I've had a look at the both in both positions now and they are good players. Tapine has improved his aggression and discipline and alertness (fitness) in the middle defensively to become a pretty good lock. That is a credit to him but unfortunately that's about it- probably not the best use of his talents. He did a job for us in the middle there (witness the collapse v Parra when he and Papa went off) but he's capable of ripping teams up. With Leipana now a thing of the past, his physical assets will be more necessary on the edge- big, footwork, palm, decent mobility. That should help give Sezer a serious threat to use and make some room for Cotric to feed off too. His ceiling is probably higher on the edge.

Bateman can also be devastating on a edge. He is a pretty complete footballer. Great skill set and even better mindset. With him we probably do get more value in the middle, simply because he can get himself involved without waiting for the ball. He is a ball of energy and attitude so in the middle lets him use it up leading in defence, popping up around the ball, taking carries, whatever it is he'll stick his nose in it.

With our tendency to "switch off" I now think we should just get him in there, almost like an extra spine player or leader. A constant source of "go". I wouldn't give him too many plans, just pull the cord and let him rip.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: July 4, 2019, 1:48 pm

The entire Raiders organisation and it's broader fan base.
That was my meaning

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha well done, dubs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

BadnMean wrote: July 4, 2019, 10:23 am
Please elaborate.
Why ?
If I said the Raiders would win would you ask me the same question ?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: July 4, 2019, 4:02 pm Sia, Havilli and Sutton/Hors relieve the middles, Young can do a 25-30 minute stint for Tapine on the edge... Not sure why we have to be robotic that our edges MUST play 80.
I agree with this.

But I often wonder why Tapine can’t play eighty minutes. At his age and experience, and with his physique, it should be reasonable to expect him to (other than when he’s only just back from injury). Particularly as he isn’t a guy who has a huge workload most games.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

InFernos_Raiders wrote:
Please elaborate.
Why ?
Explain this post
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: July 5, 2019, 3:25 am
Please elaborate.
Why ?
It's a discussion forum. I was wondering if you would expand on your statement to give us the reasons you don't think we will beat the Dragons. In doing so I might learn something about the Raiders, or the Dragons, or the game of rugby league, or simply be given some pleasure as I enjoy discussing the game. It's why I come here.

I might have asked you the same question if you'd just said the will win. But I'm not sure. Now you are acting as if I just kicked your cat.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: July 5, 2019, 2:20 pm
InFernos_Raiders wrote: July 5, 2019, 3:25 am
Please elaborate.
Why ?
It's a discussion forum. I was wondering if you would expand on your statement to give us the reasons you don't think we will beat the Dragons. In doing so I might learn something about the Raiders, or the Dragons, or the game of rugby league, or simply be given some pleasure as I enjoy discussing the game. It's why I come here.

I might have asked you the same question if you'd just said the will win. But I'm not sure. Now you are acting as if I just kicked your cat.
Please elaborate about his cat.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

His cat’s breath smells like cat food
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

I just hope he is a responsible cat owner. Anyway, we won't beat the dragons because the poms are on the piss over in Bali. And the fact that because we have players coming back from injury, the team has gone back to 2017 thinking someone else will do that little 1% play and cover for them. I hope Ricky has blasted the absolute crap out of them this last week. 3 shutouts and they have put the cue in the rack. I love the raiders and always will. But as you all know, I'm a harsh critic also

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL should use their head to avoid players getting hit in it

I'm confused. Is the head sacred? Or not? There's calls to make the NRL playmakers the equivalent of Hindu's sacred cows, but what about the head?

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
greeneyed
Don Furner

ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget ABC Radio Canberra Grandstand with Brett McKay Saturday after 11am Saturday. You can listen live: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/live/

You can SMS the program with Raiders comments and questions on 0467 922 666.

Or you can call on 1300 681 666 (at the cost of a local call).

Or send him a tweet @BMcSport on twitter.

This morning, they will have a "Raiders season review" for the bye weekend... Brett and some local journalists, David Polkinghorne and Caitlyn Chalmers, will talk about the season. And they would like you to send in questions for the panel.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I’m torn on where Bateman and Tapine should play. Let me explain...
1. I feel Bateman is the much better/safer option defending on the edge....
2. I feel Tapine is much more threatening in attack on the edge...

Can Rick set the side up so that Tarps defends at 13 and attacks at 11? With Bateman doing the opposite?? I’m not sure Tapine would have the engine, however it would work if Young was available on the bench as edge cover.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Simmonson
3. Croker
4. Cotric (Oldfield/Kris)
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Horsburgh
17. Lui

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dusty wrote:I’m torn on where Bateman and Tapine should play. Let me explain...
1. I feel Bateman is the much better/safer option defending on the edge....
2. I feel Tapine is much more threatening in attack on the edge...

Can Rick set the side up so that Tarps defends at 13 and attacks at 11? With Bateman doing the opposite?? I’m not sure Tapine would have the engine, however it would work if Young was available on the bench as edge cover.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Simmonson
3. Croker
4. Cotric (Oldfield/Kris)
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Horsburgh
17. Lui

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I don’t think there’s any real issue with Tapine defending on the edge. If that’s your main reason for not swapping them both back into their more natural positions then it’s a flawed assumption IMO
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, on the Bateman v Tapine thing... Bateman is great on the edge, there’s no doubting that, but I really think he’d be better again in the middle where he’ll get more ball and will just thrive mucking it up with the other middle players, while Tapine is absolutely better suited to the edge than the middle, there’s no doubt in my mind about that.

It really is a no-brainer for me