Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton should be called up to Great Britain squad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

English Raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton should be called up to Great Britain squad

Post by English Raider »

PigRickman wrote: June 21, 2019, 2:56 pm He sounds fantastic
I look forward to seeing him come and test himself against the best week in and week out.
Until then, sorry, nothing against him, but I’ve got Sutton ahead of him.

Sutton has proven himself in the worlds best RL competition.
I don't understand the level of arrogance displayed in this post. Sutton is doing extremely well, however Luke Thompson is an absolute machine.. he would be on par with Sam Burgess. The only reason he hasn't yet moved to the NRL is because of two reasons;

1) Playing for St.Helens was his dream growing up.
2) Money is no issue as his dad owned multi million pound haulage company.

He is only 24 and will be ripping the NRL up in the next few years. We NEED to be in for him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton should be called up to Great Britain squad

Post by Botman »

Again, good. Happy for this Luke Thompson to be a total machine. He might be the best player in the world. Until he's here playing in the NRL and proving it each week against the worlds best, i personally dont give a **** what he does in a competition that Michael Dobson is a stud in. Im sorry if that's arrogant or offensive or whatever, but it's just how i feel

i dont form opinions on any english player until they play NRL. They come here with a clean slate and i form my opinion of them as players when they get here and strut their stuff. Whitehead, Bateman and Hodgson are probably 3 of my favourite 4 players in our team. Given our track record, i'd be more than happy for the club to get in business with this Thompson guy, but i know Sutton can play against the best in the world week in and week out and hold his own. This Thompson guy hasnt shown that yet.

Again, im not asking any else to agree with me (though it seems Wayne Bennett does for whatever that counts for these days, and i myself would say it counts for not a lot! haha)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

English Raider wrote: June 24, 2019, 6:53 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 21, 2019, 2:56 pm He sounds fantastic
I look forward to seeing him come and test himself against the best week in and week out.
Until then, sorry, nothing against him, but I’ve got Sutton ahead of him.

Sutton has proven himself in the worlds best RL competition.
I don't understand the level of arrogance displayed in this post. Sutton is doing extremely well, however Luke Thompson is an absolute machine.. he would be on par with Sam Burgess. The only reason he hasn't yet moved to the NRL is because of two reasons;

1) Playing for St.Helens was his dream growing up.
2) Money is no issue as his dad owned multi million pound haulage company.

He is only 24 and will be ripping the NRL up in the next few years. We NEED to be in for him.
He's one poster with an admitted standard by which John Bateman was rubbish until the week he debuted in NRL.

I'm not sure he's ever even seen Thompson play- SL or Test.

Everyone else who has seen Thompson is quite comfortable that he is better than Sutton, although a different style of player. Maybe just take him with a grain of salt, given all the above. But it's an attitude held by a fair chunk of NRL fans until fairly recently, when forwards after forward has come here and done very well and even the odd back like Widdop.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:43 pm He's one poster with an admitted standard by which John Bateman was rubbish until the week he debuted in NRL.
:lol: I never said JB was rubbish. I said the entire way i had no opinion and would judge him when he got here and showed what he had.

Not rubbish. Not good. Not average. Not better than proven NRL footballers.
Zero opinion other than i put people who have proven it week in and week out against the best over those who havent.

No one gave a **** about the Burgi, Morley, Whitehead, Hodgson, JB, sure they had some moments on the international stage, but until they came here and showed they were as good and better, they were just good players in a bad competition.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:49 pm
BadnMean wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:43 pm He's one poster with an admitted standard by which John Bateman was rubbish until the week he debuted in NRL.
:lol: I never said JB was rubbish. I said the entire way i had no opinion and would judge him when he got here and showed what he had.

Zero opinion other than i put people who have proven it week in and week out against the best over those who havent.

No one gave a **** about the Burgi, Morley, Whitehead, Hodgson, JB, sure they had some moments on the international stage, but until they came here and showed they were as good and better, they were just good players in a bad competition.
Yeah fine. But people who watch SL and Test footy form their opinions differently. Y'know, by watching players play. Sometimes even against other guys who play NRL, who have beaten out NRL players to play in those matches.

Why backtrack? You stated it clearly on page 1 of this thread. Did this exchange not happen?

Mr Posh
Using that logic, Luke was the best Bateman in the whole of rugby league only six months ago.
PigRickman
Yep, that's pretty much how i view things.
If you want to argue that saying a good SL footballer who plays tests for England is not as good as Luke Bateman is NOT saying he is rubbish... then please, wriggle on.

The rest of the RL world doesn't exist? Ok, weird flex but ok. The rest of us can also feel free to talk around your weird position.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:Again, good. Happy for this Luke Thompson to be a total machine. He might be the best player in the world. Until he's here playing in the NRL and proving it each week against the worlds best, i personally dont give a **** what he does in a competition that Michael Dobson is a stud in. Im sorry if that's arrogant or offensive or whatever, but it's just how i feel

i dont form opinions on any english player until they play NRL. They come here with a clean slate and i form my opinion of them as players when they get here and strut their stuff. Whitehead, Bateman and Hodgson are probably 3 of my favourite 4 players in our team. Given our track record, i'd be more than happy for the club to get in business with this Thompson guy, but i know Sutton can play against the best in the world week in and week out and hold his own. This Thompson guy hasnt shown that yet.

Again, im not asking any else to agree with me (though it seems Wayne Bennett does for whatever that counts for these days, and i myself would say it counts for not a lot! haha)
Who’s your 4th guy, Pig?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 9:04 pm
PigRickman wrote:Again, good. Happy for this Luke Thompson to be a total machine. He might be the best player in the world. Until he's here playing in the NRL and proving it each week against the worlds best, i personally dont give a **** what he does in a competition that Michael Dobson is a stud in. Im sorry if that's arrogant or offensive or whatever, but it's just how i feel

Who’s your 4th guy, Pig?

Cotric
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: June 24, 2019, 8:27 pm

Yeah fine. But people who watch SL and Test footy form their opinions differently. Y'know, by watching players play. Sometimes even against other guys who play NRL, who have beaten out NRL players to play in those matches.

Why backtrack? You stated it clearly on page 1 of this thread. Did this exchange not happen?

Mr Posh
Using that logic, Luke was the best Bateman in the whole of rugby league only six months ago.
PigRickman
that's not me saying JB was rubbish. If you cant see that, you have some comprehension issues. I had no view on JB. Hadnt seen him play.
It's not a backtrack, it's how i form opinions, based on what i see. You're welcome to your opinions, and i've got mine. It's fine.
Im not attacking yours, just defending mine.

Also Chris Thorman and Lee Mossip played for England. Nathan Merritt played for NSW. Richard Vinasanti played for Australia. I dont care for rep footy selection doesnt validate anything to me. Again, to me. You dont have to agree, your welcome to your view. This is mine. Wrong or right.
English Raider
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by English Raider »

PigRickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 9:43 pm
BadnMean wrote: June 24, 2019, 8:27 pm

Mr Posh
PigRickman
that's not me saying JB was rubbish. If you cant see that, you have some comprehension issues. I had no view on JB. Hadnt seen him play.
It's not a backtrack, it's how i form opinions, based on what i see. You're welcome to your opinions, and i've got mine. It's fine.
Im not attacking yours, just defending mine.

Also Chris Thorman and Lee Mossip played for England. Nathan Merritt played for NSW. Richard Vinasanti played for Australia. I dont care for rep footy selection doesnt validate anything to me. Again, to me. You dont have to agree, your welcome to your view. This is mine. Wrong or right.
In my opinion that is a fairly flawed way to look at things. It's a good job somebody seemed to think certain players in Super league was up to standard else we'd have half a team missing :D

To put somebody ahead of someone else without even seeing them play is an arrogant opinion, try giving it a watch to enhance your player knowledge - you might even enjoy the odd game :roflmao
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Richard Villasanti.. :shock:

Wow..I remember that.

Add Shannon Boyd !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

English Raider wrote: June 25, 2019, 12:05 am To put somebody ahead of someone else without even seeing them play is an arrogant opinion, try giving it a watch to enhance your player knowledge - you might even enjoy the odd game :roflmao
I've tried watching ESL. I cant do it. The game is just not very good quality. It's not enjoyable for me.
jamesp1987
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by jamesp1987 »

I've been a browser on this forum for a fairly long time and I've been following the Raiders (from England) since Hodgson first made the trip over and now I watch every game even if that means getting up at 4am on a Sunday morning. I've created an account mainly to argue on behalf of the ESL, I watch a lot of both the NRL and ESL and whilst I would not try to argue that there is a huge gap in quality (I think that you drop any of the NRL teams into the ESL and they would walk it barring maybe the Bulldogs and the Titans). But to suggest a player isn't proven until he's had a go in the NRL is a very strong statement, players like Kevin Sinfield, Sean O'Loughlin, Chris Hill etc. have loads of caps against Australia and New Zealand (probably more than Ryan Sutton has NRL appearances). There is probably a core of about 20-30 English players who could go over to the NRL and give a very good account of themselves, previously Ryan Sutton wouldn't have been in this list but fair play he has surpassed all expectations so far.

Someone like Liam Watts, Scott Taylor, Alex Walmsley or Luke Thompson would come over and make way more in impact than Sutton has. Prop is the one position where I think England has the edge over Australia or New Zealand. Fully accept that people have their own opinions and I'm not saying that anyone is wrong but as someone who watches A LOT of games on both sides of the world I can tell you that there are players in the ESL who could make it in the NRL but for whatever reason never make the move, to suggest that because they didn't test themselves diminishes their careers or makes them an inferior player is quite the statement to make.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

jamesp1987 wrote: June 26, 2019, 7:19 pm I've been a browser on this forum for a fairly long time and I've been following the Raiders (from England) since Hodgson first made the trip over and now I watch every game even if that means getting up at 4am on a Sunday morning. I've created an account mainly to argue on behalf of the ESL, I watch a lot of both the NRL and ESL and whilst I would not try to argue that there is a huge gap in quality (I think that you drop any of the NRL teams into the ESL and they would walk it barring maybe the Bulldogs and the Titans). But to suggest a player isn't proven until he's had a go in the NRL is a very strong statement, players like Kevin Sinfield, Sean O'Loughlin, Chris Hill etc. have loads of caps against Australia and New Zealand (probably more than Ryan Sutton has NRL appearances). There is probably a core of about 20-30 English players who could go over to the NRL and give a very good account of themselves, previously Ryan Sutton wouldn't have been in this list but fair play he has surpassed all expectations so far.

Someone like Liam Watts, Scott Taylor, Alex Walmsley or Luke Thompson would come over and make way more in impact than Sutton has. Prop is the one position where I think England has the edge over Australia or New Zealand. Fully accept that people have their own opinions and I'm not saying that anyone is wrong but as someone who watches A LOT of games on both sides of the world I can tell you that there are players in the ESL who could make it in the NRL but for whatever reason never make the move, to suggest that because they didn't test themselves diminishes their careers or makes them an inferior player is quite the statement to make.
:welcome: Good first post! Good to see so many English fans posting on The GH these days too!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Great to see our English friends posting. Certainly adds a new perspective.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I'd love it if the Raiders could become Englands #1 supported NRL team.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

jamesp1987 wrote:I've been a browser on this forum for a fairly long time and I've been following the Raiders (from England) since Hodgson first made the trip over and now I watch every game even if that means getting up at 4am on a Sunday morning. I've created an account mainly to argue on behalf of the ESL, I watch a lot of both the NRL and ESL and whilst I would not try to argue that there is a huge gap in quality (I think that you drop any of the NRL teams into the ESL and they would walk it barring maybe the Bulldogs and the Titans). But to suggest a player isn't proven until he's had a go in the NRL is a very strong statement, players like Kevin Sinfield, Sean O'Loughlin, Chris Hill etc. have loads of caps against Australia and New Zealand (probably more than Ryan Sutton has NRL appearances). There is probably a core of about 20-30 English players who could go over to the NRL and give a very good account of themselves, previously Ryan Sutton wouldn't have been in this list but fair play he has surpassed all expectations so far.

Welcome to the forum, Mr Thompson!
jamesp1987
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by jamesp1987 »

dubby wrote: June 26, 2019, 7:42 pm Great to see our English friends posting. Certainly adds a new perspective.

Thanks for the welcome! If you see the Raiders linked with any ESL players put a message up and I'll try to give a bit of a scouting report as to what we could potentially expect.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

jamesp1987 wrote:
dubby wrote: June 26, 2019, 7:42 pm Great to see our English friends posting. Certainly adds a new perspective.

Thanks for the welcome! If you see the Raiders linked with any ESL players put a message up and I'll try to give a bit of a scouting report as to what we could potentially expect.
I can't find the article now, but the Daily Telegraph said we were looking at a St Helen's player, but the transfer fee was too high.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My content brings all the poms to the yard! :lol:

Welcome, James. Stick around and continue to contribute!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: June 26, 2019, 7:53 pm
jamesp1987 wrote:I've been a browser on this forum for a fairly long time and I've been following the Raiders (from England) since Hodgson first made the trip over and now I watch every game even if that means getting up at 4am on a Sunday morning. I've created an account mainly to argue on behalf of the ESL, I watch a lot of both the NRL and ESL and whilst I would not try to argue that there is a huge gap in quality (I think that you drop any of the NRL teams into the ESL and they would walk it barring maybe the Bulldogs and the Titans). But to suggest a player isn't proven until he's had a go in the NRL is a very strong statement, players like Kevin Sinfield, Sean O'Loughlin, Chris Hill etc. have loads of caps against Australia and New Zealand (probably more than Ryan Sutton has NRL appearances). There is probably a core of about 20-30 English players who could go over to the NRL and give a very good account of themselves, previously Ryan Sutton wouldn't have been in this list but fair play he has surpassed all expectations so far.

I had that one pegged as Mrs Walmsley. But it still a gem every time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
The Rickman wrote: June 26, 2019, 7:53 pm

I had that one pegged as Mrs Walmsley. But it still a gem every time.
Hahaha I almost went with Mrs Watts too, but as always, just took the lowest hanging fruit
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Hahaha it’s amazing how many times someone’s first post is either defending or talking up a player to allow this to happen.

Welcome to the forum jamesp1987
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

87's a very good vintage
All absolute **** legends in that year

James will be a banger poster, for sure and certain
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

SOSF

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matty Johns Podcast with Sam Burgess.
Our boys get a brief talk up at the end - not Sutto though.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/the-matty- ... ode=388826
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: June 27, 2019, 10:13 am Matty Johns Podcast with Sam Burgess.
Our boys get a brief talk up at the end - not Sutto though.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/the-matty- ... ode=388826
That Pod has quickly become a must listen...
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

from memory Sam did insinuate that the English players in NRL would have a bit of an advantage having played against the Australians, Kiwi's, Tongan etc. players week to week

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Our club really needs to offer an international type membership next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Sid wrote: June 27, 2019, 2:55 pm from memory Sam did insinuate that the English players in NRL would have a bit of an advantage having played against the Australians, Kiwi's, Tongan etc. players week to week
Yeah, he tried to frame it around no longer being intimidated by NRL players - which is also true - but you could tell he agreed with Bennett and PigRickman.

What the **** was going on with his accent, though? Made me want to go and damage things.