All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by Conor »

Yep, in it up to our ears.

Every team that wins has had luck go their way at some point, if we’re there or there abouts we deserve whatever fortune falls our way, and we’re definitely good enough to take advantage.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

Plus we have John Bateman.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Are we premiership contenders?

Post by Dusty »

I think we are very close to being considered genuine premiership contenders

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Last edited by Dusty on June 15, 2019, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 15, 2019, 3:15 pm I think we’re in a spot to not embarrass ourselves come finals time, but we’re not contenders.

We’ll need a W against the Storm, Roosters or Souths for me to change my mind
The thing is, in 2016 when we were red hot we beat the Sharks and Storm a few weeks out from the finals, yet still fell over against both of them in the finals (two games were really should have won).

So even if we did manage to beat the Roosters/Souths/Storm in the regular season this year, it doesn't necessarily translate to being able to beat them in the finals.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think we can 100% win the comp if we keep improving over the last half of the season. If full strength (minus BJ) we can beat any of the sides. Our Achilles heal is our discipline - teams are gonna try and play like the Sharks did on Thursday against us so we get frustrated. If we keep that in check we can beat anyone.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Imagine Joey Leilua, rising from his hospital bed, ripping tubes out, palming hospital trolleys and patients alike out of the way with his big don't argues as he storms toward the ground on grand final day... Warming up in his blue gown...

It's gonna be the NRL story of the season.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It’s a 3 horse race when the squads are at full strength and we are just below them with a couple of other teams.
I’ll be interested to see when we play the Storm in Melbourne and back up and play the Roosters in Canberra the week later. That will be the telling point.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

In 2016 we had a magic run to the finals but then suffered attrition due to injuries, by the time we met the Storm in Melbourne we were shot to bits but good enough to get close. If we had made it to the GF we would probably have been embarrassed.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:I think there's too big a gap to teams like Roosters and Storm for us to be contenders. That said if you're in it you can win it. If we can remain in the top 4 come September then we at least have a shot.
Left out the Bunnies since the Panthers just knocked them off?

These teams are not invincible.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

If you finish in the top 4 you only need to win 3-4 games in a row to win it all. At our best we certainly have the defence to put ourselves in those big games and it has been much more consistent this season than previously.

I don’t feel like we are in the position where you’d be confident we would beat the big 3, just hopeful that we could.

One thing that gave me a bit of confidence was crokers try on Thursday. To win big games you need to be able to score from a perfectly executed set play, from inside the 20, against a well organised and desperate defence. We’ve been good off the cuff but not at set plays but there’s hints that it could be there.

So yes, but we’d need the bounce of the ball.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

This far out we are looking a much better chance than our 89’ premiership team was at the same stage of the season.

We need improvement and a few things to go our way but I think we’re a big chance and I’m tipping Simmonsen and either Young or Hors will be a huge part of it!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I think yes. I will always think yes.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:29 pm I think yes. I will always think yes.
That no doubt makes you’re a great fan but also makes your opinion irrelevant.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

pickles wrote: June 15, 2019, 10:22 pm If you finish in the top 4 you only need to win 3-4 games in a row to win it all. At our best we certainly have the defence to put ourselves in those big games and it has been much more consistent this season than previously.

I don’t feel like we are in the position where you’d be confident we would beat the big 3, just hopeful that we could.

One thing that gave me a bit of confidence was crokers try on Thursday. To win big games you need to be able to score from a perfectly executed set play, from inside the 20, against a well organised and desperate defence. We’ve been good off the cuff but not at set plays but there’s hints that it could be there.

Out of interest, who are the big 3?

So far this season, for mine Cronulla at full strength have been outstanding, Melbourne are well drilled and the Roosters have a very balanced squad who can be lethal in attack. The Bunnies have looked quite unconvincing at times.

Melbourne are so structured I feel that a combo of great effort in defence and a bit of off the cuff attack leaves them susceptible. The Roosters and Bunnies can regularly have their off days. It's really Cronulla that scares me. They have mongrel in defence and in attack they love to offload and they have some great weapons across the park. Graham and Johnson (on his day) are a lethal combo, while Moylan and Dugan are top quality. They are a bloody good team and I hate them for it.

I think they are all beatable though.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: June 15, 2019, 6:07 pm I disagree on caring how we go in the run to the finals. As long as we can find a top four spot those games don’t count.

Remember 2016? We beat Sharks and Melbourne going into finals marking ourselves as contenders and lost to both. I’m certainly not saying I’d prefer to lose them, but if the team does enough to get a top 4 spot they’ll be remembered for their finals results. Not whether they were considered contenders by performing strongly going into the finals. That’s not where you’re aiming to peak your performance.
I think all matches count and the lessons to be learned from either a win or a loss. The final 5 matches has us up against 'tough to beat' sides week after week. Just like semi finals. The Storm are currently the best attacking and defensive side in the comp. They are one of the sides we meet in that run to the finals. Over the past couple of years they have lost Cronk and Slater yet remain the competition bench mark. I mention this because it is a demonstration of how sides evolve and remain successful. I think the Raiders now have the defensive evolution we lacked in 2016.

The Storm gave us a touch up earlier in the year. I want to see how we are performing against the competition bench mark late in the season. I'm glad we get to play them twice in the season. It will give Sticky and the coaching team opportunity to look at how we go against them and to make plans for a possible match up if we continue with our form and make the finals series. The current side is better than the 2016 side at the same stage of the competition. I think this form will be carried through to the finals series. But those final matches of the Premiership rounds will be a real test.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The consensus so far seems to think we need a bit of luck to win it

That says it all.

I'm loving the season so far, we've been good.

But right now we have a number of injuries to key people, our attack particularly in the red zone is very clunky, our 7 is still unreliable no matter who wears the jersey, our kicking game is rocks and diamonds etc

But, while not a dynamic ball player or blessed with speed, CNK is Mr Reliable at the back and I'm confident he'll do enough, Jack is improving nicely (still has the odd brain fart), BATEMAN!, our pack looks nice and aggressive with Papa in sublime form, ...... we've defended our way into the 8.....with a somewhat clunky attack.

Which is why I think no.

When we can apply consistent pressure to the opposite team with a subtle, effective kicking game and the ability to score in the 20, and if we can get some key players back I'll be more confident

(Truth is, I don't like talking our hopes up less they be dashed and I get that awful, lonely, empty feeling if it all goes downhill. I really, really want them to be successful. I really do. It would mean so much to all of us).

My point is, we are still growing as a team.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If all teams are fit and focussed then it's a big 1 for mine. The Roosters win comfortably again. They are running second and unlike the Storm and South's haven't played near their best.

Once intensity and reffing changes in the semis I think that the Storm will lose their big advantage during the regular season.

South's are a danger but I am not convinced on Bennett's tactics working in the semis. Similar situation to the Storm.

Sharks would be the biggest danger to the Roosters for mine.

Then I'd have us after those 4, but still with a lot of upside. I could easily see us making a grand final, worse sides on paper have, but winning it is a stretch.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Would make a massive difference to our chances if a fit and firing BJ was back for the finals. Storm have had a decent run with injury, Souths and Easts not so much. Sharks are back to full strength and look a pretty well balanced side. Any of the 5 are a real chance.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:42 pm
Northern Raider wrote:I think there's too big a gap to teams like Roosters and Storm for us to be contenders. That said if you're in it you can win it. If we can remain in the top 4 come September then we at least have a shot.
Left out the Bunnies since the Panthers just knocked them off?

These teams are not invincible.
Bunnies without Reynolds are not contenders.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Absolutely we are. We've been decimated by injury at points through this season and are still sitting in the top 4. There's definitely bits of our game that can improve but with 10 odd weeks until the finals there is no reason that we can't do just that. What I like most about our chances is the areas of our game that are looking good are things that are crucial to winning a premiership. We have a team now that looks far more mature and experienced, we are composed under pressure and a solid defensive unit. As long as we can hang with the top dogs we are a good shot in the finals.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I think we are VERY close to being in that top bracket.
Storm game was a 20-30 minute period and we got back in kinda, roosters we most definitely shat the bed and still should have won, souths was our biggest test and was another one we could have jagged, we got bashed up and felt that in the cowboys loss.
the sharks game was a great indicator, they are a very good side. theres 5 genuine contenders this year.
I think the depth needed due to injuries has shown that we are right up there this year, the experience those young players are getting will be huge for us in the end of the season, they are already pushing for the spots of more experienced players.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

What’s impressed me the most was how pre-season there were people saying “This is Ricky’s squad, if we’re not top 4, it’s a failure and he should be under pressure.” I thought that was a bit of a stretch, and yet, here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I don't think we're a top 4 team
And right now there's still byes etc to take into consideration.
Let's see where we are after round 26.
If we finish top 4 we've over achieved imo. Especially considering our 7.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Agree we have to see what happens given our tough draw but I wouldn't have us lower than 5th and we beat the other team that has the best case for 4th on Thursday.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not far off if we can keep playing like this but can't see us quite hitting the mark until we sort out our no 7 woes. I thought Sezer started the game well on Thursday but just went missing and happens too often with him for my liking - we already know the ups and downs of Williams as well.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Seiffert82 wrote:
pickles wrote: June 15, 2019, 10:22 pm If you finish in the top 4 you only need to win 3-4 games in a row to win it all. At our best we certainly have the defence to put ourselves in those big games and it has been much more consistent this season than previously.

So far this season, for mine Cronulla at full strength have been outstanding, Melbourne are well drilled and the Roosters have a very balanced squad who can be lethal in attack. The Bunnies have looked quite unconvincing at times.

Melbourne are so structured I feel that a combo of great effort in defence and a bit of off the cuff attack leaves them susceptible. The Roosters and Bunnies can regularly have their off days. It's really Cronulla that scares me. They have mongrel in defence and in attack they love to offload and they have some great weapons across the park. Graham and Johnson (on his day) are a lethal combo, while Moylan and Dugan are top quality. They are a bloody good team and I hate them for it.

The big 3 are the chooks, storm and bunnies. We’ve played all of them when they were pretty much full strength and in form and have been close but never controlled any of the games.

What’s clear is that the chooks aren’t as dangerous without Keary and the Bunnies struggle without Reynolds.

The storm are very consistent in effort and always put themselves in a position to win big games.

At full strength the chooks are the best team and a good shot of going back to back but that’s a very tough thing to do.

There are so many variables when it comes to finals that you have to put yourself in the best position possible and hope you have most of your key players fit when it matters.

We learnt in 2016 that you have to take your chances because who know what the next years hold? This year we are a shot and need to do everything we can to make the most of it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:I don't think we're a top 4 team
And right now there's still byes etc to take into consideration.
Let's see where we are after round 26.
If we finish top 4 we've over achieved imo. Especially considering our 7.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
We won't be anywhere after round 26 Dubs.Image

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

pickles wrote: June 16, 2019, 3:57 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

The big 3 are the chooks, storm and bunnies. We’ve played all of them when they were pretty much full strength and in form and have been close but never controlled any of the games.

What’s clear is that the chooks aren’t as dangerous without Keary and the Bunnies struggle without Reynolds.

The storm are very consistent in effort and always put themselves in a position to win big games.

At full strength the chooks are the best team and a good shot of going back to back but that’s a very tough thing to do.

There are so many variables when it comes to finals that you have to put yourself in the best position possible and hope you have most of your key players fit when it matters.

We learnt in 2016 that you have to take your chances because who know what the next years hold? This year we are a shot and need to do everything we can to make the most of it.
Yeah, the Roosters have a very good squad. We certainly didn't look like contenders against them as we were overawed by the occasion. For us it's about getting the best out of the entire team on a regular basis. We rely too much on Bateman and Wighton as individuals in attack, whereas the other good teams execute well and panic less.

I'm still not overly convinced by the Rabbitohs. Tough team, but can be a bit predictable. If the forwards aren't allowed to dominate the ruck and put the opposition off their game, they look ordinary.

Time will tell. It's just frustrating that we've not really hit our straps yet, due to injuries and players in new positions. I just hope we can get somewhere near our potential. If we can, we're right up there IMO. This is a good squad.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Very happy with our season thus far. We've had major improvement in defence and our attitude is a breath of fresh air compared to recent years. Players and coaches aren't serving up lame excuses for our shortfalls. We are on the right track, but I predict we will finish 6th. If you offered me 6th in the pre season I would of been happy_ish. Hopefully my prediction is rubbish and we snag top 4. Hold on to your hat folks it's going to be a wild and exciting ride
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

I don’t think we are contenders. Wighton is still developing and unless Sezer turns a corner we don’t have the halves combo to seriously contend for the Premiership. We also lack a general who can guide us around the park and make the key plays at critical moments, most of our wins have been grinding efforts or hanging on for dear life.

If we had a solid halves pairing I would say for certain we could be contenders.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: June 16, 2019, 11:06 pm I don’t think we are contenders. Wighton is still developing and unless Sezer turns a corner we don’t have the halves combo to seriously contend for the Premiership. We also lack a general who can guide us around the park and make the key plays at critical moments, most of our wins have been grinding efforts or hanging on for dear life.

If we had a solid halves pairing I would say for certain we could be contenders.
Hodgo plays the general role in our team. We just need Sezer to be the solid 2nd fiddle Chad Townsend half and let Jack do his thing. It's not that far off.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Unlike the Storm, there are a number of players in our team who don't seem to be particularly clear on their roles.

Stuart has to keep things simple for the likes of Sezer and Wighton and ensure Hodgson doesn't overplay his hand in the attacking 20. If we can sort those kinds of issues out this team has every chance of success.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

My biggest concern with attacking inside the opposition 20, is the forward pack who don't understand that they need to run angled lines instead of constantly running those ineffective straight lines, square on with defenders.

We wouldn't be complaining about Hodgson inside the opposition 20 if the structure and plan around him was better.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

We are currently in the top 4 (based on points not just f/a) and we have the bye in hand, players to return from injury and suspension and a nice break now for rep round. Couldn’t possibly have asked for much more than this. People crazy.
Biggest area we need to improve in is our effort to play the ball and get on with it. Players need to stop trying to appeal for penalties/ milk them and just get on with things as fast as they can. Urgency to speed up the ruck will result in better play and more penalties for us than asking the ref for a leg up
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes.