Are we premiership contenders?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

So we are very close to 2/3 of the way through the season. I thought now with only one game over the next month it might be a good time to take proper stock of where we are and what we are as a team.

Are we genuine contenders to win the comp this year?

The common refrain about us this year is that we are a notch below the true elite. I'm not so sure about that.

Firstly, we really need to get our full team back on the park. In particular, we need Hodgson back there before we can really judge where we are at. Fingers crossed we not only start hitting top form but our injury luck turns around as well and we are fit and firing for the finals.

Secondly, I think I have seen enough from games against the likes of Souths and Cronulla to make me think that there is no reason we can't go to to toe with their ilk in September. We certainly aren't perfect at this point in time and our attack can still be very clunky. But I think that with a 5-10% improvement, which we are very capable of; and we are right there.

Thirdly, we are amassing enough points to position ourselves nicely, with very winnable games against Eels, Dragons, Tigers, Panthers and Warriors coming up.

In summary I believe that even if we are currently a notch or a half notch below the likes of Storm, Roosters and Souths, I think with our full complement back and some small improvement over the last 10 games there is no reason we can't be optimistic about being relevant in September this year.

Thoughts?
Up The Milk
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by BJ »

I agree with the experts that we are a notch below the top 3 teams. I think we will miss BJ’s X factor in the big finals.

I still give us a chance, but we will have to improve in a few areas. 1 in 12 chance of winning the title.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

nah

But stranger things have happened.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The last 5 games will tell us where we sit

But right now.. no

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I think we’re in a spot to not embarrass ourselves come finals time, but we’re not contenders.

We’ll need a W against the Storm, Roosters or Souths for me to change my mind
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Any team with our record should really be regarded as a contender.

It's an interesting question though. I'm sure most people would say we haven't reached our potential, particularly in attack. So we have been quite solid without being quite there with the best form in the comp. Injuries to key players hasn't helped.

Form suggests we are exactly where we should be. We are generally beating clubs below us and losing to the handful above us. We should really have beaten Souths, but should also have nailed Manly and the Cows.

It's only the Storm who have towelled us up, but that was after a short turnaround and they are a well drilled team. IMO only Cronulla have picked us apart for a good chunk of a game. The Roosters was a disappointing performance, but they don't scare me as much as Cronulla.

We'll be OK if our attack starts clicking. I think we become genuine contenders if Hodgo gets his combo right with the halves in our attacking 20. That's the one part of the game which is really letting us down compared to the top 3-4 teams.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Not yet. We're still developing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think we are contenders this year. We still let in some soft tries but they are less frequent. Hopefully the focus remains on further defensive improvement against the better sides.
Sure our attack 'needs work' but it is shutting down and frustrating the better sides which are the keys to success imo. I hope Sticky keeps the focus firmly on our D.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yep were premiership contenders.

We have a record that puts us a good shot at top 4. From there anything can happen for finals.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I think we’re close but not quite there yet, I really don’t think we’ve actually ‘clicked’ in any games this year. If we can we can beat anyone, but I’m not sure we can just yet with our halfback issues.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

BJ wrote: June 15, 2019, 2:53 pm I agree with the experts that we are a notch below the top 3 teams. I think we will miss BJ’s X factor in the big finals.

I still give us a chance, but we will have to improve in a few areas. 1 in 12 chance of winning the title.
I agree with this. We are good this year but missing X factor. BJ is our X factor and without him I think we struggle to consistently beat top tier teams at the business end.
Anyone heard anything on his recovery??
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sitting 3rd after 14 weeks !!!!'

Strap yourselves in Raiders fans, grab the popcorn..

Yeah sure we haven't beat the Rabbits/Storm/Rooters but finals time..different ball game !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Old School Green wrote: June 15, 2019, 4:37 pm
BJ wrote: June 15, 2019, 2:53 pm I agree with the experts that we are a notch below the top 3 teams. I think we will miss BJ’s X factor in the big finals.

I agree with this. We are good this year but missing X factor. BJ is our X factor and without him I think we struggle to consistently beat top tier teams at the business end.
Anyone heard anything on his recovery??
No.
Hope this helps.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Every injured raiders player in the last few years has come back early. It must be magic water at the AIS.

I still have this sneaking thought in the back of my head that the Raiders media team went 100% at the ‘out for the season’ line, shutting down any chance of playing this year, while secretly they are rehab-ing BJ to be ready just before finals.

It would in no way surprise me anymore if he was an ‘out of the blue’ team list Tuesday inclusion late September.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I think with a little luck we are contenders. Our injuries need to stop, if we really aren’t missing any players come the big games I think we “could” beat anyone on the day. We only need to play to potential and the other team be off just slightly due to injury or otherwise and we could do it. A well as Melbourne’s results show on the ladder I just don’t think they are going as well as the ladder suggests.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If the finals were played this weekend- no.

But the finals are 10 weeks or so away...

Depth
So far we have developed true depth across the park. Reliable depth that has been tested and won some tough games. That's needed to be a contender. We have it in spades.

Character
So far we have developed some character. You need to strength of mind to over-come some iffy calls, some injuries, carry some expectations, trust a game plan, win close games, hang tough and compete in games where it seems hopeless. We're shown some, but it's a work in progress.

The critical mass between derps and passengers and thinkers and winners has shifted too.

Match winners
You need some talent and x-factor. We have enough - just maybe - even with Joey out. With Joey in - we are a whole new level of threat. Let's assume no Joey, we need a few things in our favour for this one. We need Hodgo on the park, Rapana near his best and Cotric to keep growing into an Origin level player.

Assuming that, we have more than enough strike across the park. Our three quarter line is still among the most dangerous in the comp. Our fullback has a good try scoring record and can bust a tackle. Our back rowers are all genuine attacking threats beyond just running a line - ours can genuinely pass, kick, create. If we assume Tapine is our lock then he might not have all those skills but he can palm, step and beat a tackle.

Jack will be involved in winning or losing any big finals game we play. He won't go missing or die wondering. Before this season I'd have said he's more likely to lose us one than win us one. That paradigm is shifting. He's our genuine x factor now and makes up for the creativity our other halves lack. I'd almost include Johnny B here too - he's the type to pop up a try scoring play in a big game.

Ideally looking at our team you'd like to see one tearaway destructive prop. We've got Papa, but no-one else to really be feared. Also a half who can ice a game and control the tempo for 15 minutes if you have a lead... nope. That'll be on Jack and Hodgo.

Defence
We have developed our defence to the point it can be used as a weapon and is near the top bracket. It's not yet been as good vs the very best but it's been ok. We hit hard. We hurt blokes. Teams must feel it now the week after they've played us. We scramble. We defend our errors. It's good. It's getting there. Considering all the positional disruptions... not bad at all.

Belief/culture
Winning culture? A work in progress. Not yet, but closing in. We have beaten one top team (Sharks) and been within a bees of another in Souths.

Like others have said, we'll need to see how we fare in that tough run home but I'm not ruling this year out at all as a "building season" or "will set us up for next year". Next year can all turn to shizzle real quick. When it's happening for you, squeeze every drop and make it count. Half our teams has been "that close" to a GF, we've added a winner in JB and improved our big match experience with some origin reps. We still lag other teams here so we'll need momentum and trust Ricky to get their heads right. He's been there and won and lost a few as player and as coach.

Are we?
If we continue to develop we can have a real shot here. You're kidding if you think you can guarantee coming within even cooee of that any other theoretical "next year", despite improvements on paper squads and more time to gel blah blah. Stuff that, if you can sit yourself near that top four with the injury toll we've had and the chance (fingers crossed) our new Origin guys get a 5 per cent boost from getting a decent run of games and that higher level... Then we should be a chance to win this. Not favourites, but we'll worry any team and could genuinely pull it off.

Let's see how that last five weeks go. Beat two of the better teams in that run before Warriors and we are the real deal.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

So..that's a yes ?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

When it comes to the crunch I think we’ll fall short. We’ve bought a new halfback to upgrade a key position next year and we’ll have BJ back then. I think we’ll be closer in 2020, but as for this season ... no
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Whether or not you answer in the affirmative as to whether we are genuine contenders, a dark horse, a pretender or what have you; one thing I firmly buy into is that when you have that opportunity of being in the top 4 and right amongst it come September, whatever the character of your team or that of your fellow contenders; you need to accept the reality that it may not be a part of some linear progression of the team or a stepping stone to being exponentially better next year.

If it were to be so; we would have logically made the GF at least in 2017 and won the premiership in either 2017-2018. Instead; we regressed.

There are simply too many variables and 15 other teams in their own stages of improvement, growth, stagnation or deterioration to treat each finals opportunity as anything other than a "this is our shot at it" moment. Especially when success has been as scarce as it has been for the raiders over the last 25 years.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-PJ- wrote: June 15, 2019, 5:53 pm So..that's a yes ?
No. I hope this helps.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I disagree on caring how we go in the run to the finals. As long as we can find a top four spot those games don’t count.

Remember 2016? We beat Sharks and Melbourne going into finals marking ourselves as contenders and lost to both. I’m certainly not saying I’d prefer to lose them, but if the team does enough to get a top 4 spot they’ll be remembered for their finals results. Not whether they were considered contenders by performing strongly going into the finals. That’s not where you’re aiming to peak your performance.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-PJ- wrote: June 15, 2019, 5:53 pm So..that's a yes ?
tl:dr
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: June 15, 2019, 6:07 pm I disagree on caring how we go in the run to the finals. As long as we can find a top four spot those games don’t count.

Remember 2016? We beat Sharks and Melbourne going into finals marking ourselves as contenders and lost to both. I’m certainly not saying I’d prefer to lose them, but if the team does enough to get a top 4 spot they’ll be remembered for their finals results. Not whether they were considered contenders by performing strongly going into the finals. That’s not where you’re aiming to peak your performance.
I was working on the idea that since those teams we play will all also be in for competition for those top 4 spots... that if we lose to ALL of them and don't beat SOME of them, we won't make the top 4 regardless, even if we beat the numpties.

But I'm no mathemegician.
Last edited by BadnMean on June 15, 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Heart says no, not yet. Need CNK to improve his ability with the ball in hand and a new halfback in order to be genuine contenders, IMO.

Fortunately, that isn't a pipe dream and if we can carry on defending the way we are as a unit then a premiership isn't out of reach next year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: June 15, 2019, 6:18 pm Heart says no, not yet. Need CNK to improve his ball playing and a new halfback in order to be genuine contenders, IMO.

Fortunately, that isn't a pipe dream and if we can carry on defending the way we are as a unit then a premiership isn't out of reach next year.
2 genuine ball playing back rowers was the reason I could just about overcome CNK's sticky fingers on backline moves at present.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I am just glad I took top 4 insurance this year. I am certainly expecting to be travelling to a few finals games.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think people saying we can’t win because CNK this, or halfback that are being overly critical of what it takes to win a premiership.

You just need to be better than the other team on the day. Sometimes not even that. You don’t have to be perfect. Yes better players, more experienced players increase your likelihood. But saying a team can’t win is a big call.

Also agree with above that thinking you’ll be back and better next year in the NRL is a terrible mindset and approach.

I think most people believed we were contenders in 2016 when we had the same halfback, and our fullback had a number of defensive deficiencies that CNK does not. People are always talking about how defence wins grand finals, so that’s arguably more important. CNK also supports better imo.
Swiller
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papali

Post by Swiller »

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's a really good question and a tough one to answer... my answer is yes.

Yes we are a contender in so much that we're a top 4 team, with a very stout defence, and we keep games close enough generally speaking that on any given day, if we perform to our best, we can cause an upset and knock off the storm/roosters/souths whoever they throw at us.

But i do think they're all a little notch above us in terms of the their consistency and quality of play across the board. I think we're lacking a little in structured creativeness to consistently beat the top sides, but on our day we'll beat their ****. CNK as (at this very early stage of his career) and the lack of creativity out of the halves is what i think will ultimately be our downfall this year.

We'll go in as underdogs in any game past the semi's and maybe even in the semi's, and i think that'll be largely fair. But this team keeps things close enough that if we're good on the day, we can do it... can we have two days where we beat say the storm in the prelims and then back up and get the roosters in the big one? I dont know, i feel like we might need some luck on that front, maybe a key injury, or the footy gods shining down on us with a good bounce of the ball...

We're a darkhorse contender. But that's still a contender. I just the NBA finals and the Raptors (who got an outrageous game 7 4 bounce bank shot after the buzzer to even get past round 2!) won the whole thing by beating the all star warriors team that lost literally half it's line up to major injuries through the series... and no one in Toronto gives a single ****. Sometimes being good enough to be there gives you the opportunity to take advantage of good fortune. I think we're good enough that we're some good fortune away from a fairytale
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 15, 2019, 6:06 pm Whether or not you answer in the affirmative as to whether we are genuine contenders, a dark horse, a pretender or what have you; one thing I firmly buy into is that when you have that opportunity of being in the top 4 and right amongst it come September, whatever the character of your team or that of your fellow contenders; you need to accept the reality that it may not be a part of some linear progression of the team or a stepping stone to being exponentially better next year.

If it were to be so; we would have logically made the GF at least in 2017 and won the premiership in either 2017-2018. Instead; we regressed.

There are simply too many variables and 15 other teams in their own stages of improvement, growth, stagnation or deterioration to treat each finals opportunity as anything other than a "this is our shot at it" moment. Especially when success has been as scarce as it has been for the raiders over the last 25 years.
yep, this is true across all sports.
Fans expect progress to be linear, and i myself am guilty of it you, you just expect teams to take incremental steps towards a championship, but it almost NEVER works out that way. You have to take your shot when it comes because there is absolutely no telling what tomorrow brings.

You can do it all the right way and build the way you want and then some crushing injury or some emergence of a transcendent talent, or a bounce of the ball here and there just cruelly closes your window. We cant just assume we're a team on the up and a top 4 birth this year will be bettered next year with more development. If we're in the top 4 this year, we got a shot. It might not be a great shot and we might not be a favourite, but any team in the top 4 has an Andy Ruiz Jr's level punchers chance. Our margin for error might be considerably smaller than others, but i firmly believe we can beat anyone on our day.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

No, but there wouldn't have to be many things go our way for that to become a yes.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

No to this year, but I’m getting excited about next year 2020. I’m just looking for a strong finish now at the end of the year to build momentum for next year when we have Williams on board. I’m hoping we can pick up another front rower (TPJ would be nice) too then I’ll be very happy

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think you’re dreaming of recruiting upwards if we continue to round out a decent season. In 2017 the core got upgrades to hold them together and we lost our depth.

The Raiders do not have infinite salary cap. A strong season will not see us progress by recruiting a big name next year. It would have to be an adept CNK/Bateman signing.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

T_R wrote: June 15, 2019, 7:13 pm No, but there wouldn't have to be many things go our way for that to become a yes.
I agree
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I think there's too big a gap to teams like Roosters and Storm for us to be contenders. That said if you're in it you can win it. If we can remain in the top 4 come September then we at least have a shot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.