Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Thursday 13 June 7:50pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 5:30pm
Under 16s North Canberra Bears and Crookwell Green Devils: 5.45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Light rain at times Partly cloudy. Medium (60 per cent) chance of light rain, becoming less likely in the late morning. Winds northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending westerly 15 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the late afternoon. Chance of any rain: 50 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 3 mm. Min 10 Max 16, with an overnight low on Friday of 1.

Round 13 2019. Canberra Raiders 28 - Wests Tigers 0. The Canberra Raiders produced an outstanding performance on their first visit to the new Western Sydney Stadium. They were tested by injury and suspension, by Origin players forced to back up, 48 hours after they played last. Four regular first graders were unavailable - Josh Hodgson, Joey Leilua, Corey Horsburgh and Hudson Young. Three Origin players backed up. Josh Papalii was one of Queensland's leading forwards, yet he produced again, off the bench instead of in his usual starting role. Jack Wighton was seeking redemption after the Blues' loss, while Nick Cotric was under an injury cloud. They both delivered. The whole team delivered.

More on Round 13: As I saw it

Now in Round 14, the Canberra Raiders are back at home for a clash with the Cronulla Sharks after another short turnaround. Raiders: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named the same top 17 that defeated the Tigers. However, Josh Papalii and Dunamis Lui move back to their regular starting prop roles, with Ryan Sutton and Sia Soliola going back to the bench. Aidan Sezer has been retained at halfback, with Sam Williams on the extended bench.

For the Sharks, Origin representative Josh Morris back, after being rested last week. Josh Dugan moves from centre to wing, with Aaron Gray dropping to the reserves list. Blayke Brailey is named at hooker for brother Jayden. Shaun Johnson is listed also on the reserves list, but is expected to be a late inclusion. Former Raiders Josh Dugan, Jack Williams and Scott Sorensen are part of the Sharks' squad.

Milestones: Jarrod Croker will equal Laurie Daley’s record for most games for the club, and will be second only to Jason Croker (318 games). He is one try away from equaling Jason Croker’s try scoring record for the club (120).

Late changes: The Raiders cut Michael Oldfield and Sebastian Kris from their squad on Wednesday night, with Sam Williams and Royce Hunt remaining on the extended bench. The Sharks omitted Scott Sorensen and Billy Margoulias.

History: The Raiders have won only 33 of 74 matches against the Cronulla Sharks, for a 45 per cent win rate. Canberra has won four of the past 10 clashes between the clubs - and lost both clashes in 2018. The Raiders suffered a 24-16 loss in the nation's capital in Round 10, and then lost the return clash at Shark Park, 28-24, in Round 19. The Raiders have won 14 of 28 games played between the clubs at Canberra Stadium. However, they have not won against the Sharks at the venue since the 2012 finals match. That's a losing streak of six matches. Since 2005, Canberra has won just three of the 15 clashes between the clubs at Canberra Stadium. The Sharks will hold no fear of playing on Canberra's home turf.

2018 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2018 Round 10 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

Form: Raiders: LLLWW
Sharks: WWLWW

The Sharks won 42-22 against the Parramatta Eels at Shark Park in their last outing. They only have one recent loss, a 24-14 defeat at the hands of the Manly Sea Eagles. They have other recent wins over the Storm (20-18), Titans (26-18) and Dragons (22-9). The Raiders broke a three game losing streak with a 12-10 win over the Bulldogs in Round 12, before last Friday's win over the Tigers.

Betting: The Canberra Raiders are $1.80 favourites in this match, with the Sharks paying $2.00. The Sharks have 1.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a battle between fourth (Raiders) and sixth (Sharks) on the ladder. Both teams are on 16 competition points and are separated only by points differential. However, the Raiders have one more win than the Sharks, and a bye in hand. Canberra has an eight and five record this season, while the Sharks are seven and five. Canberra has won three of six games played at home, while the Sharks have won three of six away. Both teams have won just two of six games played against top eight opposition.

Canberra now ranks seventh in the league in attack - despite putting on 28 points in their last match - while the Sharks rank equal fifth. The Raiders have averaged 20 points (3.3 tries) this season, compared with 21 points (3.7 tries) for the Sharks.

The Raiders are close to the benchmark for completions (79 per cent). The Sharks have a 73 per cent completion rate (14th in the league) - and make more errors per match (11-9.5) than the Raiders. Canberra is controlling possession more effectively this season, averaging a 51 per cent possession share, compared with 47 per cent for Cronulla. However, the Raiders' discipline needs to improve. They rank second for most penalties conceded (behind the Panthers, at an average eight per match), while the Sharks concede six penalties per match.

The Raiders make more running metres (1566 from 173 runs, versus 1469 from 169), post contact metres (445-379) and kick return metres (184-146) per game than the Sharks. The Sharks make more tackle breaks (32-30), line breaks (4-3) and offloads (12-8). Indeed no team makes more offloads than the Sharks, so that is something the Raiders will need to watch. The Sharks also rank first for line break assists (3.2 per game, compared with 1.6 for the Raiders and equal last in the league) and equal first for try assists (3.0 per game, compared with 1.9 for the Raiders).

The Raiders rank first for dummy half runs (16 per game), the Sharks last (six per game). The Sharks tend to run more block plays (43 decoy runs per game, compared with 38 for the Raiders). The Raiders also rank first in the NRL for kicks and kicking metres. They average 619 metres from 23 kicks per game, compared with 476 metres from 18 kicks for the Sharks.

The Raiders are ranked second in defence, with only the Storm having conceded fewer points per match. Canberra has conceded less than 14 points (2.3 tries) per game this year, compared with 19 points (3.1 tries) for the Sharks.

According to Fox Sports Lab, the Raiders rank fifth for least running metres conceded (1370 per game), but the Sharks are not far behind, in sixth (1398 per game). The teams have a similar effective tackle rate. The Raiders miss more tackles (30-25), while both teams make an average 14 ineffective tackles per game. However, the Raiders make a lot more tackles than the Sharks.

Our tip: It's another tough assignment for the Canberra Raiders this week. The Sharks have had the Raiders' measure at Canberra Stadium for six long years - by being prepared to out-grind the Green Machine and wait for Canberra's big forwards to tire. However, as the statistics show, Canberra is playing a much more controlled style of football this year, more controlled than the Sharks. And the Raiders now have a much more mobile forward pack.

Canberra is still seriously impacted by injury and suspension. The Raiders still have four regular first grade players sidelined. The Sharks should have a full strength squad, with Shaun Johnson and Aaron Woods scheduled to return from injury this week. Canberra's three Origin players will have had to play three games in eight days - while Cronulla's sole representative was rested last week. The Sharks have a very strong forward pack and some exciting youngsters, like Kyle Flanagan and Bronson Xeri, in great form. The Raiders will need to get on top in the forwards and contain the Sharks' attacking strike. But if the Raiders bring the intensity in defence they produced against the Tigers, then Canberra can out-grind Cronulla. I'm tipping the Raiders can do it. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Aidan Sezer on his return to first grade: "Going back and playing reserve grade for the first time in my career I think it was revitalising. It made me realise what the game is about and playing what you see. I think I got caught up for the last few years trying to steer the ship and coming into grade it probably wasn't my strongest attribute. My attribute was my running game and kicking off the back of that."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan Sutton

18. Sam Williams
19. Royce Hunt

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh (Elbow) 15-17
Hudson Young (Suspended) Round 19
Josh Hodgson (Thumb) Round 18-20
Joey Leilua (Neck) Indefinite
Luke Bateman (Knee) Round 14-15
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Cronulla Sharks

1. Matt Moylan
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Josh Morris
5. Josh Dugan
6. Kyle Flanagan
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Briton Nikora
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Paul Gallen

14. Wade Graham
15. Jayson Bukuya
16. Jack Williams
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

18. Aaron Gray
21. Shaun Johnson

Officials

Referees: Ashley Klein, Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Chris Sutton, Chris Butler
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersSharks

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Lucky »

how are we favourites???
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Betting agencies can be clueless

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

The "Bateman factor" better work cause our record against these cheats is abysmal...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Odds have already narrowed over the course of the day. Preview updated.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Dusty wrote: June 10, 2019, 6:33 pm Betting agencies can be clueless

They most certainly know what they are doing
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

hobbsy wrote:
Dusty wrote: June 10, 2019, 6:33 pm Betting agencies can be clueless

They most certainly know what they are doing
Hahaha they absolutely do

What a strange debate... the raiders are favourites because they deserve to be. They should absolutely beat the sharks at home

This forum continues to get weirder and weirder
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Mate we haven’t beaten the Sharks at Home since 2012? Shaun Johnson is back.

The only hope is Ennis is in our camp this time but this would of been the game to take to Wagga.

In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: June 11, 2019, 9:29 am Mate we haven’t beaten the Sharks at Home since 2012? Shaun Johnson is back.

The only hope is Ennis is in our camp this time but this would of been the game to take to Wagga.

Blah blah blah blah
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: June 11, 2019, 10:38 am Blah blah blah blah
Woah! Settle down Psycho, no need to bite his head off! Not his fault years of mediocrity have clouded his judgment!

PS I think we will win. And it will be sweet.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

important game in terms of the fight for that spot at 4th
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We've dropped games like this so often in the past. Time for us to step up.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, huge game to prove our credentials.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: June 11, 2019, 10:47 am
The Rickman wrote: June 11, 2019, 10:38 am Blah blah blah blah
Woah! Settle down Psycho, no need to bite his head off! Not his fault years of mediocrity have clouded his judgment!

PS I think we will win. And it will be sweet.
Hahahaha well played, sir
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Brew wrote: June 11, 2019, 9:29 am Mate we haven’t beaten the Sharks at Home since 2012? Shaun Johnson is back.

Farah and Marshall had an 11-0 record against the Raiders when playing alongside each other, didn't help them much last Friday.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Man I hope we beat the Sharks

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: June 11, 2019, 4:47 pm Man I hope we beat the Sharks

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don't worry dubs.

You'll get ulcers !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updated for squads, officials, weather and betting: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1667727
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day - Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Those people always seem to play well in Canberra....
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael Oldfield and Sebastian Kris cut from the Raiders squad on Wednesday night, Scott Sorensen and Billy Margoulias cut by the Sharks. Updated preview, squads, weather, betting: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1667727
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

game day, i think
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raining in Canberra.
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Game Day! Just hoping I can stay awake to watch!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Its Game Day Dadbods!

Caaaarn the Mighty Raiders, Smash the needled up wobbygons!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Haikus with gangers Rd 14: Raiders V Sharks

Game Day! Bring some Pep
Tide’s turning against the Sharks
Please bury Dugan
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

gangrenous wrote: June 13, 2019, 8:01 am Haikus with gangers Rd 14: Raiders V Sharks

Game Day! Bring some Pep
Tide’s turning against the Sharks
Please bury Dugan
:clap:
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

A critical game for the Raiders' season. They can't afford a repeat of the NQ game.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Bateman and Cotric have a huge job to do in defence on Graham and Xerri, but the good news is in attack we should cause them some issues. Sezer needs to give them good, clean, early ball. We should have some joy going through the middle to make metres with our faster pack, then look to hit that right edge.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:23 am Bateman and Cotric have a huge job to do in defence on Graham and Xerri, but the good news is in attack we should cause them some issues. Sezer needs to give them good, clean, early ball. We should have some joy going through the middle to make metres with our faster pack, then look to hit that right edge.
They do have a big job. It will be absorbing to watch if we can get them some ball- I have no doubt that the Chad Townsend so maligned and unwanted on here early this season will manage to get competent delivery where it needs to for his team, he's having a solid season.

The fact it is Bateman and Cotric defending them gives me some confidence- Bateman is a good mover who hits above his weight and Cotric is usually very solid, although by all accounts Xerri might give him some trouble if he finds space. Rapa out there should be better for the run and know when to help out. I'm not worried exactly as I would be in past seasons, but it is a fresh challenge for them.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: June 13, 2019, 6:48 am Game Day! Just hoping I can stay awake to watch!
Sheeez GG - you could probably sneak a nap in between now and kick off haha
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Dolphins like an incoming tide....
Whales like an outgoing tides....

What tides do sharks like?

PEPTIDES!!!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Sick of losing to these drug cheats in Canberra. Worried it will happen again though. Good thing we have Bateman though, I feel a lot more comfortable with him in the pack.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

St Patrick cleared the snakes from Ireland.

I hear there is not a single shark still swimming in Bateman's Bay...
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

TongueFTW wrote: Sezer needs to give them good, clean, early ball.
Sezer's challenge is finding the right balance between giving Bateman/Cotric/Rapana good early balls and using his running game.

Last thing we want is for any opposition to just target Bateman/Cotric/Rapana because they know Sezer will just pass rather than run.

Sezer has a good running game and should use it in tandem with using the men outside him. Finding the right balance would open up more attacking opportunities for us down that flank

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year