2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
1
8%
Raiders 1-12
9
69%
Draw
0
No votes
Sharks 1-12
2
15%
Sharks 13+
1
8%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
Azza
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6639
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Azza » June 13, 2019, 10:57 pm

The Rickman wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:31 pm
Azza wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:23 pm
We’ve won three games without Hodgson, one against one of the best teams in the comp. that was simply unthinkable last season.

It’s about times our fans started to enjoy our season for what it is
I wish some people would get off their high horse. just because I'm raising a valid point that both the coach and the players in post match interviews have made doesn't mean I didn't enjoy tonight's victory. We did well to hold on - but we need to avoid lapses like that in the future if we're going to go deep into the finals. And that's exactly what I want to see this team do.
Man... I really wasn’t having a crack at you, hey
I know you weren't - it was more a general comment aimed at a few others on here.

Peter
Jason Croker
Posts: 4793
Joined: January 17, 2005, 3:26 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Peter » June 13, 2019, 10:59 pm

Interesting that Stick pretty much put a line through Rapana and Tapine playing for NZ because they are wounded and club comes first. Good move too I say.

User avatar
Ruben Daley
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1638
Joined: June 13, 2007, 4:52 pm
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Ruben Daley » June 13, 2019, 11:11 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:51 pm
Papalii has had 3 games in 8 days. Total of 50 runs for 494m. He's a machine.
Wow. The guy is an absolute beast.

User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3422
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Lui_Bon » June 13, 2019, 11:12 pm

Azza wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:17 pm
Also can I just say havili doesn't get much credit but I think he's done a bang up job in hodgson's absence
I wish that three times he doesn't pass down the short side on last tackle when there's nothing on. The first time he did it, he cunningly picked out a two on four...
Image

User avatar
Azza
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6639
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Azza » June 13, 2019, 11:13 pm

Lui_Bon wrote:
June 13, 2019, 11:12 pm
Azza wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:17 pm
Also can I just say havili doesn't get much credit but I think he's done a bang up job in hodgson's absence
I wish that three times he doesn't pass down the short side on last tackle when there's nothing on. The first time he did it, he cunningly picked out a two on four...
I'm not saying he's perfect though am I? But he's playing a critical role in that team and I thought overall he's doing a pretty decent job providing crisp dummy half service.

User avatar
Mickey_Raider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2017
Joined: March 16, 2008, 7:15 am
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Canberra

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Mickey_Raider » June 13, 2019, 11:24 pm

Nines commentary was interesting. Seemed to dwell on Sharks a lot, like the only reason the game was a contest was because Sharks made a few errors and had no ball for 25 minutes.

As if that Wasnt exactly what happened to us in the middle 30 mins?
Canberra Raiders: Est. 1982 .... 89,90,94

RAIDERS TILL I DIE!

User avatar
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1724
Joined: May 10, 2011, 10:32 am
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Lucky » June 13, 2019, 11:26 pm

Were Dugan and Croker ever friends? I get the impression that every time they play each other Croker wants to deck him...

User avatar
Azza
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6639
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Azza » June 13, 2019, 11:27 pm

Oh yes, hoping we don't lose Bateman through suspension...

User avatar
Ultima
Steve Walters
Posts: 7863
Joined: January 18, 2005, 9:46 pm
Favourite Player: Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Ultima » June 13, 2019, 11:36 pm

Lucky wrote:
June 13, 2019, 11:26 pm
Were Dugan and Croker ever friends? I get the impression that every time they play each other Croker wants to deck him...
The whole team seems to want to get a hit on him really.
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127285
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » June 13, 2019, 11:37 pm

Canberra Raiders hold off Cronulla Sharks in fiery thriller



Fingers crossed as Canberra Raiders young gun Nick Cotric's Origin hopes hang in the balance after he limped off with an ankle injury.

"I don't know anything at the moment, but I've never seen a season like it in regards to key players being injured, coach Ricky Stuart said. "My hopes are that it's not too bad. We've got a week off, we've got a bye this week, we've got the rep round. Let's hope it's a sprain and nothing too much more than that."

CANBERRA RAIDERS 22 (Aidan Sezer, Bailey Simonsson, Jarrod Croker tries; Jarrod Croker 5 goals) bt CRONULLA SHARKS 20 (Josh Dugan 2, Josh Morris, Braden Hamlin-Uele tries; Shaun Johnson 2 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Referees: Ashley Klein, Peter Gough. Crowd: 10,021.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Will Scott Morrison invest in a new Canberra Stadium?

He was in the stands to see his beloved Cronulla Sharks, but this was a chance for the Canberra Raiders to convince Prime Minister Scott Morrison to invest in a new stadium in the capital.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239





TEAM SONG: Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... team-song/

MATCH REPORT: Croker equals Raiders' greatest as they hang on for win: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/sha ... o-victory/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... ks-hoodoo/

Raiders hang on after Sharks’ stunning 20-point streak: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0b42568dd5

VIDEO: Match Highlights: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/mat ... -v-sharks/

VIDEO: Stuart: The club comes before representative football: Ricky Stuart says none of his players will be available for representative selection if they are under an injury cloud: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/stu ... -football/

‘Club comes first’: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart won’t release wounded representative stars: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d0b4b8ad41

Blues rookie Cotric to have scans to determine extent of ankle injury: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/blu ... le-injury/

Slow starts continue to cost Sharks dearly: Morris: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/slo ... y--morris/
Image

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2832
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by BadnMean » June 13, 2019, 11:51 pm

Ultima wrote:
June 13, 2019, 11:36 pm
Lucky wrote:
June 13, 2019, 11:26 pm
Were Dugan and Croker ever friends? I get the impression that every time they play each other Croker wants to deck him...
The whole team seems to want to get a hit on him really.
Even the Poms :lol:

User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3422
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Lui_Bon » June 14, 2019, 12:00 am

Azza wrote:
June 13, 2019, 11:13 pm
Lui_Bon wrote:
June 13, 2019, 11:12 pm
Azza wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:17 pm
Also can I just say havili doesn't get much credit but I think he's done a bang up job in hodgson's absence
I wish that three times he doesn't pass down the short side on last tackle when there's nothing on. The first time he did it, he cunningly picked out a two on four...
I'm not saying he's perfect though am I? But he's playing a critical role in that team and I thought overall he's doing a pretty decent job providing crisp dummy half service.
No, I reckon he's actually pretty fantastic. I just wish...
Image

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2832
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by BadnMean » June 14, 2019, 12:10 am

Well...

We beat the Sharks, which is good.

We knew the refs would go even uppers after the first 20 was all us and so they did. But then we go the 50/50 random lucks again. Because we've been winning lately and not crapping the bed.

Bateman and CNK got completely sucked in by the Sharks niggle and gave away exactly the kind of scraggy penalties they want. Poor discipline. Not a great game by either- but that is very rare. If Papa hits a guy with a bit of arm involved but mostly shoulder we shout "great hit"- the hit was fine, front on and arms coming in just he bounced off first. Not a million miles away from the Papalli-Buhrer.

Same for Bateman- he got a lesson tonight in needing to be smarter vs some big boys in how he tackles and where the line is. He'll learn.

Our season, for good or ill completely hangs on the form of Wighton. He is our x factor in attack and defence on 90% of game changing plays. The rest have talent or moxy or efforts or moments- Wighton is shaping things.

Sia was off the pace. The rest might do him good but in the "when all our pack is fit and available" argument... I now have him missing out. His off games are getting more frequent. His killer moments lacking. Papa, Sutton, Tapine, Hors, Lui are my top 5 middles. Young or Sia might edge back in but only if Lui and Sutton or Hors don't cut errors as Sia isn't offering as much. Guler still sin't getting as much of a go- happy to see more.

Gee we were poor getting out our own end. Sharks were offside but what did we do to counter? Robotic one out by back 5 again and again. Where were the forwards or a spread? Oldie actually offers more than Simonsson, CNK or even Rapa's current form in this regard so he could be welcome. He was going gangbusters at that. Rapa looks busted.

Teams are reading our dummy half runs and vs a scraggier team like Sharks they'll murder it all day and get away with it. Need to change that up on occasion to get yards in other ways AND make them sweat on it less.

Sezer was pretty good. Solid D. Some nice runs. Kicked ok.

Well done Toots.

Cranky Old Man
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 953
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Cranky Old Man » June 14, 2019, 12:31 am

The Rickman wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:04 pm
Haha I’m not reading this thread because you’re all such a sack of sad ****, but I honestly LOVED every minute of that game

That was such a rewarding result. The team will get so much more out of that than going on to flog the sharks
Yep, Rick/Nick, I'm with you. That was a good game, semi final tough style with some good tries from both sides. The Raiders did well to guts it out for a valuable win.
At this stage their job is to make the top 4, not necessarily to harlem globetrotter the comp. When the finals come around these close dirty games experience will be invaluable.
Refs were very poor and inconsistent, and although the Raiders did get a couple of fortuitous calls the Sharks were offside all night (I was at the ground) and the refs lacked the courage to continue calling them out for it. Some of the inconsistencies were also unacceptable in first grade referees.

twistedbydesign
Peter Jackson
Posts: 255
Joined: March 5, 2007, 2:16 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by twistedbydesign » June 14, 2019, 3:26 am

BadnMean wrote:
June 14, 2019, 12:10 am
Well...

We beat the Sharks, which is good.

We knew the refs would go even uppers after the first 20 was all us and so they did. But then we go the 50/50 random lucks again. Because we've been winning lately and not crapping the bed.

Bateman and CNK got completely sucked in by the Sharks niggle and gave away exactly the kind of scraggy penalties they want. Poor discipline. Not a great game by either- but that is very rare. If Papa hits a guy with a bit of arm involved but mostly shoulder we shout "great hit"- the hit was fine, front on and arms coming in just he bounced off first. Not a million miles away from the Papalli-Buhrer.

Same for Bateman- he got a lesson tonight in needing to be smarter vs some big boys in how he tackles and where the line is. He'll learn.

Our season, for good or ill completely hangs on the form of Wighton. He is our x factor in attack and defence on 90% of game changing plays. The rest have talent or moxy or efforts or moments- Wighton is shaping things.

Sia was off the pace. The rest might do him good but in the "when all our pack is fit and available" argument... I now have him missing out. His off games are getting more frequent. His killer moments lacking. Papa, Sutton, Tapine, Hors, Lui are my top 5 middles. Young or Sia might edge back in but only if Lui and Sutton or Hors don't cut errors as Sia isn't offering as much. Guler still sin't getting as much of a go- happy to see more.

Gee we were poor getting out our own end. Sharks were offside but what did we do to counter? Robotic one out by back 5 again and again. Where were the forwards or a spread? Oldie actually offers more than Simonsson, CNK or even Rapa's current form in this regard so he could be welcome. He was going gangbusters at that. Rapa looks busted.

Teams are reading our dummy half runs and vs a scraggier team like Sharks they'll murder it all day and get away with it. Need to change that up on occasion to get yards in other ways AND make them sweat on it less.

Sezer was pretty good. Solid D. Some nice runs. Kicked ok.

Well done Toots.
Great post, mate. Agree with all of the points you raised.

Sia is a concern. The difference in line speed in the middle section of the game was immense, and Sia is usually the guy who leads this for us but seemed pretty flat tonight. I agree he needs to go up a notch, though hopefully a quiet period over the next month or so will do him some good. Same applies for Rapana, who to me still looks a bit off the pace and was thoroughly outplayed by Feki tonight.

Still, great to get the win against a quality side. To get three staight wins at this point of the year with a bunch of guys out is just awesome, if we can manage to get past Parra and get a few guys healthy over the bye weeks then we'll enter the second half of the year in great shape.

User avatar
thedevilingreen
Simon Woolford
Posts: 458
Joined: August 9, 2013, 8:38 am
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by thedevilingreen » June 14, 2019, 4:17 am

dubby wrote:
LP Raider wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
June 13, 2019, 9:42 pm
Matty Johns "that was a real quality game"

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Everything wrong with NSW football, will spend the next 59 minutes sprucking his boy Pearce on his show.
Yeah it's been a Pearce love fest

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yeah up in here QLD we love good old Mitch really brought it home for QLD every time the series has been on the line.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25847
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by PigRickman » June 14, 2019, 5:52 am

Rickmando wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:01 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
June 13, 2019, 9:55 pm
Rickmando wrote:
June 13, 2019, 9:53 pm
gergreg wrote:
June 13, 2019, 9:51 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
I didn’t want to go there but he had rushed out and was awfully out of position again. Very lucky it was a **** pass because he left a big hole again.
Greatest raiders try scorer soon. Greatest raiders point scorer. Second highest games for the club. Two games he has made 'the' big play when it really mattered, in the last few weeks. Suck it up boys.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
He absolute carped the bed on that last play. Watch it again.
You mean the one where he took the intercept to shut down the Sharks final attack and close out the win?
That’s the one. He was totally out of position, once again. He got extremely lucky the sharks took a poor option
His intent coming in in that play is to shut down the opportunity for teams to get outside him.
They saw it, tried to get outside him and because he was right where he wanted to be, he took the intercept
The only other option for the sharks was to funnel the ball back into the teeth of our defence. There is about 3-4 players in the game capable of making a pass good enough to get past Croker in that spot.

So in that respect the execution could not have been better. I have no idea what you’re complaining about.
He came up and forced a subpar half to either go back in to the defence or throw a ball he can’t throw.

Haha honestly what the ****
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25847
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by PigRickman » June 14, 2019, 5:55 am

LP Raider wrote:
June 13, 2019, 9:54 pm
dubby wrote:
June 13, 2019, 9:52 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
I don’t have a problem with the refs tonight. Sharks were up a bit quick in the second half but it’s on us to adapt and shorten our defensive gap
No, it's up to the bloody refs to penalize them according to the rules of the game


Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Billy your wrong, the refs were garbage. So is Pig
:roflmao
Very on brand.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3017
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » June 14, 2019, 7:50 am

Pigs only wrong about Croker but he’s right about the refs 😉

TongueFTW
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 534
Joined: August 3, 2008, 10:40 am

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by TongueFTW » June 14, 2019, 8:10 am

Really good win given the circumstances. A few points:

* Havili has done incredibly well filling in for Josh, but we really need Hodgson back. Without him, we rely far too much on Wighton for our attack. I hope this game shows everyone our clunky attack in the 20 is not always due to Hodgson overplaying his hand - we are just not as smooth there as we have been in the past. Hopefully we improve.
* I am not a refs faulter, but after the Sharks got 5-0 down in the penalties, they got away with absolute murder in the ruck and with the 10m. I think it might even be a tactic when the penalty count is uneven (though it didn’t work for us against Manly!).
* CNK was quiet, I think he needs a rest, it’s been a big start to the season for him given it is his first run of continuous games in first grade. Rapana is clearly carrying an injury - we missed the metres from these two tonight. Papalii was just insane - that many metres after 3 games in 8 days, with travel between Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra. Super impressive. I thought Tapine did really well in his first stint, having him and Papa off the park at the same time made a difference tonight, with Sia a little patchy (though I am sure he will bounce back). Hopefully we get Horsburgh back for next game.

Hazza
Dean Lance
Posts: 815
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Hazza » June 14, 2019, 8:45 am

The Rickman wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:23 pm
We’ve won three games without Hodgson, one against one of the best teams in the comp. that was simply unthinkable last season.

It’s about times our fans started to enjoy our season for what it is
Yeah imagine this time last year being disappointed with playing to about 60% of our capacity and still beating a top 8/possible top 4 team, and being 3rd on the ladder with a bye up our sleeve. I guess it's a sign of how far we've come. That's where we have to get to though isn't it. Standards are rising. The storm wouldn't have been happy with the last 60 last night if that was them.

Johno
David Furner
Posts: 3553
Joined: December 12, 2013, 9:28 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Johno » June 14, 2019, 9:12 am

edwahu wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:37 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:36 pm
Cotric - "worst case scenario 6 weeks, best case 2 weeks"
So with our medical staff thats one week.
Probably training today

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43982
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » June 14, 2019, 9:24 am

Hazza wrote:
June 14, 2019, 8:45 am
The Rickman wrote:
June 13, 2019, 10:23 pm
We’ve won three games without Hodgson, one against one of the best teams in the comp. that was simply unthinkable last season.

It’s about times our fans started to enjoy our season for what it is
Yeah imagine this time last year being disappointed with playing to about 60% of our capacity and still beating a top 8/possible top 4 team, and being 3rd on the ladder with a bye up our sleeve. I guess it's a sign of how far we've come. That's where we have to get to though isn't it. Standards are rising. The storm wouldn't have been happy with the last 60 last night if that was them.
Yeah, but the Storm have off games too, and they still more often than not find a way to win those off games. That's what good teams do.

As I said, last night's game does so much more for the attitude and learning of this team than if they'd won 40-nil. Just wish some of our fans got that too.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Timbo
David Furner
Posts: 3157
Joined: January 6, 2005, 9:42 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Here

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Timbo » June 14, 2019, 9:30 am

I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43982
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » June 14, 2019, 9:32 am

Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Timbo
David Furner
Posts: 3157
Joined: January 6, 2005, 9:42 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Here

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Timbo » June 14, 2019, 9:38 am

The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
They were abysmal for the first 25. It doesn't excuse the ref's turning it around. To name just a few:

-High shots on Sezer and Sutton went unpenalized. Sezer even stayed down long enough for the video to see it.
-Gallen hitting bateman while playing the ball and being awarded a penalty for it.
-Fifita shoulder charging Simmonson, then swinging his arm at his head on the ground. Penalty Sharks when we reacted to our player being attacked.
-The Sharks spent the last ~55 minutes laying in the ruck, no penalties, however the dominant tackle rule was seemingly suspended when they were in possession.
-Cotric's "knock on" in the strip where he propels it towards his own goal line.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I know possession and penalties tend to swing back and forth but come on.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.

User avatar
Whitty
David Shillington
Posts: 37
Joined: September 4, 2005, 11:41 am

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Whitty » June 14, 2019, 9:38 am

I harp about this point a lot but it irks the **** out of me every week - the kicking for touch. Last few minutes of the second half, Cronulla penalty when they need position and bang....ball gets kicked 50 metres and they are deep into our half and attacking. We get a penalty not long after, deep in our own half and under the pump, kick for touch goes out.....10 metres from where it was taken. Tap taken still deep in our own half and under pressure immediately. ****, try to kick the cover off the **** thing when it is crucial. It's like Sezer has a new pair of boots and doesn't want to get them dirty.

Cranky Old Man
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 953
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Cranky Old Man » June 14, 2019, 9:43 am

The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
Yes

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43982
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » June 14, 2019, 9:46 am

Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:38 am
The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
They were abysmal for the first 25. It doesn't excuse the ref's turning it around. To name just a few:

-High shots on Sezer and Sutton went unpenalized. Sezer even stayed down long enough for the video to see it.
-Gallen hitting bateman while playing the ball and being awarded a penalty for it.
-Fifita shoulder charging Simmonson, then swinging his arm at his head on the ground. Penalty Sharks when we reacted to our player being attacked.
-The Sharks spent the last ~55 minutes laying in the ruck, no penalties, however the dominant tackle rule was seemingly suspended when they were in possession.
-Cotric's "knock on" in the strip where he propels it towards his own goal line.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I know possession and penalties tend to swing back and forth but come on.
I'm just stopping you at the very first point. There's no WAY the Sezer "high shot" should've been overturned for a penalty. Absolutely none. That's play-on, Raiders fans would be blowing up deluxe if that were the other way around.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43982
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » June 14, 2019, 9:48 am

Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:38 am
The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
They were abysmal for the first 25. It doesn't excuse the ref's turning it around. To name just a few:

-High shots on Sezer and Sutton went unpenalized. Sezer even stayed down long enough for the video to see it.
-Gallen hitting bateman while playing the ball and being awarded a penalty for it.
-Fifita shoulder charging Simmonson, then swinging his arm at his head on the ground. Penalty Sharks when we reacted to our player being attacked.
-The Sharks spent the last ~55 minutes laying in the ruck, no penalties, however the dominant tackle rule was seemingly suspended when they were in possession.
-Cotric's "knock on" in the strip where he propels it towards his own goal line.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I know possession and penalties tend to swing back and forth but come on.
And the Fifita one, it wasn't even a shoulder charge! When I saw it first time I yelled out "shoulder charge!!" but after seeing the replay I was like "dammit, there's not even a penalty there."

The refs 100% got that one right too, come on, man.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Timbo
David Furner
Posts: 3157
Joined: January 6, 2005, 9:42 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Here

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Timbo » June 14, 2019, 10:05 am

The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:46 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:38 am
The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
They were abysmal for the first 25. It doesn't excuse the ref's turning it around. To name just a few:

-High shots on Sezer and Sutton went unpenalized. Sezer even stayed down long enough for the video to see it.
-Gallen hitting bateman while playing the ball and being awarded a penalty for it.
-Fifita shoulder charging Simmonson, then swinging his arm at his head on the ground. Penalty Sharks when we reacted to our player being attacked.
-The Sharks spent the last ~55 minutes laying in the ruck, no penalties, however the dominant tackle rule was seemingly suspended when they were in possession.
-Cotric's "knock on" in the strip where he propels it towards his own goal line.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I know possession and penalties tend to swing back and forth but come on.
I'm just stopping you at the very first point. There's no WAY the Sezer "high shot" should've been overturned for a penalty. Absolutely none. That's play-on, Raiders fans would be blowing up deluxe if that were the other way around.
It doesn’t matter if we’d have been harping! It was contact with the head in the act of tackling! Intent doesn’t matter, it’s in the **** rule book - it’s a penalty to the side on attack.

Fifita makes no attempt to engage his arms in the tackle, it is most definitely a shoulder charge. And even if I accepted it wasn’t, he still attacks the head of the player on the ground.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.

User avatar
Aero
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11560
Joined: May 19, 2006, 9:38 am
Location: Campbelltown

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Aero » June 14, 2019, 10:10 am


The Rickman wrote:
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:38 am
The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
They were abysmal for the first 25. It doesn't excuse the ref's turning it around. To name just a few:

-High shots on Sezer and Sutton went unpenalized. Sezer even stayed down long enough for the video to see it.
-Gallen hitting bateman while playing the ball and being awarded a penalty for it.
-Fifita shoulder charging Simmonson, then swinging his arm at his head on the ground. Penalty Sharks when we reacted to our player being attacked.
-The Sharks spent the last ~55 minutes laying in the ruck, no penalties, however the dominant tackle rule was seemingly suspended when they were in possession.
-Cotric's "knock on" in the strip where he propels it towards his own goal line.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I know possession and penalties tend to swing back and forth but come on.
And the Fifita one, it wasn't even a shoulder charge! When I saw it first time I yelled out "shoulder charge!!" but after seeing the replay I was like "dammit, there's not even a penalty there."

The refs 100% got that one right too, come on, man.
Agree, if anything, we were lucky Tapine didn't get called for a shoulder charge on Fifita a few moments later - I think Tapine's looked more of a shoulder charge

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Image
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43982
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by The Rickman » June 14, 2019, 10:10 am

Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 10:05 am
It doesn’t matter if we’d have been harping! It was contact with the head in the act of tackling! Intent doesn’t matter, it’s in the **** rule book - it’s a penalty to the side on attack.

Fifita makes no attempt to engage his arms in the tackle, it is most definitely a shoulder charge. And even if I accepted it wasn’t, he still attacks the head of the player on the ground.
It was a slight slap, it was incidental contact at best! No way that's a reportable offence, and the video ref needs it to go on report to overturn.

They've been very consistent with that rule this year, they got that one 100% correct.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Billy Walker
David Furner
Posts: 3017
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » June 14, 2019, 10:40 am

The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 10:10 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 10:05 am
It doesn’t matter if we’d have been harping! It was contact with the head in the act of tackling! Intent doesn’t matter, it’s in the **** rule book - it’s a penalty to the side on attack.

Fifita makes no attempt to engage his arms in the tackle, it is most definitely a shoulder charge. And even if I accepted it wasn’t, he still attacks the head of the player on the ground.
It was a slight slap, it was incidental contact at best! No way that's a reportable offence, and the video ref needs it to go on report to overturn.

They've been very consistent with that rule this year, they got that one 100% correct.
Couldn’t agree more - it was embarrassing how Sezer carried on to nothing more than a brush to his face. The Fifita ‘shoulder charge’ wasn’t a shoulder charge and the second shot on the ground was unnecessary but fair play. It was the raiders running in that caused a blow up. I’m comfortable with the Raiders flying the flag and doing that but also comfortable that it was a penalty.

The Sharks 10 meters was too skinny in the second half but you get that - it wasn’t a well reffed game but it was fine - get over it.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2832
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by BadnMean » June 14, 2019, 10:41 am

The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:46 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:38 am
The Rickman wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote:
June 14, 2019, 9:30 am
I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
They were abysmal for the first 25. It doesn't excuse the ref's turning it around. To name just a few:

-High shots on Sezer and Sutton went unpenalized. Sezer even stayed down long enough for the video to see it.
-Gallen hitting bateman while playing the ball and being awarded a penalty for it.
-Fifita shoulder charging Simmonson, then swinging his arm at his head on the ground. Penalty Sharks when we reacted to our player being attacked.
-The Sharks spent the last ~55 minutes laying in the ruck, no penalties, however the dominant tackle rule was seemingly suspended when they were in possession.
-Cotric's "knock on" in the strip where he propels it towards his own goal line.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I know possession and penalties tend to swing back and forth but come on.
I'm just stopping you at the very first point. There's no WAY the Sezer "high shot" should've been overturned for a penalty. Absolutely none. That's play-on, Raiders fans would be blowing up deluxe if that were the other way around.
Yeah they've changed that rule to only penalise if the offense is reportable so as not to encourage laying down (last I heard).


Edit: Just to clarify my comments on our backs rucking out- I was saying we will welcome Oldies work back on that because I am assuming COtric will miss a game or two.

Post Reply