Current dummy half

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Current dummy half

Post by Botman »

PigRickman wrote: July 2, 2019, 10:29 pm ...the idea that we are better in attack without Hodgson is asinine and anyone peddling that **** should be sentenced to 400 hours of watching Glenn Buttriss, Travis Waddell, Alan Tongue and what ever other **** EDIT we had play the position in this turn of the centuary before Hodgson.
I like the PigRickManrub thinks.
papabear
Steve Walters

Current dummy half

Post by papabear »

I dont know if is the go in 2019, nor do I think mocking Alan Tongue entirely appropriate.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

First point... fair.
Second... i watched him play hooker, and i watched the hooker rotation for the years around that time. It's worthy of mockery
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The only advantage the team had when they played Alan Tongue at hooker was that he wasn't Glenn Buttriss.

That's it, absolutely nothing else.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Alan Tongue was just a player picked in that position doing his best as he always did.

Again its not alan tongues fault the club couldnt build a roster for ****. For a second rower playing out of position he was limited but he did what was asked.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: July 16, 2019, 11:15 am Alan Tongue was just a player picked in that position doing his best as he always did.

Again its not alan tongues fault the club couldnt build a roster for ****. For a second rower playing out of position he was limited but he did what was asked.
I don't think anybody said it was Alan Tongue's fault did they? Alan Tongue was a legend of the club, always gave 100% and deserves all the respect a Raiders fan can manage.

Saying all that, he had no business being at dummy half for an NRL team, same as Glenny B.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

**** theres some wierd arguments going on on here. This whole forum should be moved to the lime lounge.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: July 16, 2019, 11:28 am **** theres some wierd arguments going on on here. This whole forum should be moved to the lime lounge.
Yes!! Then we can bring our segments back to the main forum, where they belong!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: July 16, 2019, 11:56 am
simo wrote: July 16, 2019, 11:28 am **** theres some wierd arguments going on on here. This whole forum should be moved to the lime lounge.
Yes!! Then we can bring our segments back to the main forum, where they belong!
Segments were the cornerstone we based our last finals charge on.
Fact, we havent played one finals game since one nameless man cancelled h-bombs lock of the week and replaced it with afghsgtjfks sack sezer segment
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

How is Frank the cat anyway?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2019, 12:56 pm How is Frank the cat anyway?
reptar had to get him put down after GE cancelled his segments

Just couldn't afford his food anymore :(
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 16, 2019, 12:58 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2019, 12:56 pm How is Frank the cat anyway?
reptar had to get him put down after GE cancelled his segments

Just couldn't afford his food anymore :(
:cry:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Not true, Frank is alive and well, and enjoying watching the Raiders this year. Image
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That's an old photo!!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Rickman wrote: July 16, 2019, 11:19 am
papabear wrote: July 16, 2019, 11:15 am Alan Tongue was just a player picked in that position doing his best as he always did.

I don't think anybody said it was Alan Tongue's fault did they? Alan Tongue was a legend of the club, always gave 100% and deserves all the respect a Raiders fan can manage.

Saying all that, he had no business being at dummy half for an NRL team, same as Glenny B.
Both True, but thats what our club did.

I also think hodgson should be compared to what he is capable of. Kind of like BJ Leilua and Jack Wighton, shouldnt be compared to weakest 6 or centre ever played in green, they should be judged on their efforts and improvements.

Hodgson is an all time canberra great if he can lead us to premiership glory, thus the criticism of him isnt against an average number 9 or a poor one, it is against the number nine hodgson is capable of being to take us to a premiership or thereabouts - see our performance on the weekend for example (noting the opposition didnt put in a top performance).

The other thing with Hodgson and our dummy half play is, it isn't about skill / physicality or speed, imo it is just game plan and decision making which imo for a smart footy brain that hodgson is, should be an easy thing for the club to get right.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha I think you’ve taken this discussion a LOOONG way away from what Pigricknick was originally saying here, papa

That’s quite an achievement
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

reptar wrote: July 16, 2019, 1:26 pm Not true, Frank is alive and well, and enjoying watching the Raiders this year. Image
Blink twice if you're not OK, frank.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:That's an old photo!!
Need a photo of Frank holding today’s newspaper!
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:
The Rickman wrote:That's an old photo!!
Need a photo of Frank holding today’s newspaper!
How about I attempt to take one of him watching this weekend's game? He is a cat though, he might think I'm behaving crazily and not participate
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Can't tell if Max or Frank

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Is there a stat for one one one steals in 2019? If there isn’t, there should be given some of the useless stats that are carried. Hodgson has 4 in the last 2 games, I feel like Hodgson and Munted would be well above the rest for steals?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Sid wrote: July 21, 2019, 10:13 am Is there a stat for one one one steals in 2019? If there isn’t, there should be given some of the useless stats that are carried. Hodgson has 4 in the last 2 games, I feel like Hodgson and Munted would be well above the rest for steals?

Id put Matt Orford as the number one stealer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'm loving his steals. It's the modern hooker version of the old school hookers rake back- involves spotting a player who gets lazy in the tackle, waiting waiting waiting and picking your moment, then boom! Execute and steal momentum back. Same idea. Shades of Walters.

I'm waiting for opposition coaches to come up with a ploy to counter it... dropping/throwing the ball so it looks like a knock on? Headbutting/elbowing when he gets in there? Both seem high risk.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:Can't tell if Max or Frank

Frank made an appearance in the Game Day thread!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Is he still monster sized?
reptar wrote:

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:Is he still monster sized?
reptar wrote:

He's a big kitty, yes!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Another superb game from hodgson today.

Massive one on one steal.

I am going to move this on slightly so it is not just about the dummy half work.

Two key plays put us under way more pressure then we needed to be against the tigers and something we are going to have to improve come finals time and towards the pointy end of the season.

We played short to soliola who knocked on, not the best pass but when you spend ten minutes without the ball you need to put a bit of pressure on the other side to take a bit of the run out of them, this knock on really hurt.

5th tackle play to go down the short side to JC, I know the temptation when your dummy half you can generally effect the play more and and it is safer going down the short side, but really on the 5th we needed a repeat set or atleast an attempt at one. IMO this was weak in most of our attacking sets in the attack zone in the second half and when you only have a few of them its really noticable. We played to short to often and were very predictable, we need sezer and wighton to touch the ball on the last and atleast once each in every attacking set (1 touch prior to the last atleast, preferably more).

If those to plays are fixed imo we sit a lot less nervous through the rest of the game but in the end it gave us a chance to test our defence which sezer and JC stood up in a massive way.

Not an on the field error, but imo again hodgson would have been more effective off with a breather for us, i mean really the first ten minutes of the second half we were defending anyway, hes defending in the middle using a lot of gas which doesn't help us as a side, I still feel as if his decision making is declining as the game goes on which would be remedied by just a little bit more rest.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

You could feel that Soliola knock on coming. He was starting to blow. Literally the set before I was saying it's time to get him off. We just missed the balance between interchanging when we planned to and keeping the guy on because we're on top and he was going well. Excellent game by him otherwise.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He was huge bar that knock on, which you can forgive. Easily top 3 games for the club IMO

I'd be happy to keep starting him and manage papas minutes leading up to finals

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Great game again from hodgson.

I cant really be critical on anything he did, I can remember 5th tackle decisions being bad, he hit sezer almost everytime or put a kick in.

Our first try was the prototype of how he should play when attacking the red zone, he hit sezer twice on wide balls before going short himself, keep up this mix of going wide to sezer/wighton and short to a forward and we are so so much stronger.