Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 15, 2019, 3:35 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2019, 2:07 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 15, 2019, 12:29 pm
edwahu wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:39 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:08 am

He'd only be 30. It is funny to me we talk about moving Rapana on due to when he is only a year older than Croker. Got to wonder if Rapana had a point scoring record in play whether opinions around here would differ.
Is the points scoring record still realistic? Smith is +600 or so and won't retire until the end of next year. So Croker would likely have to have 4 mostly injury free years to definitely catch him.
I don't think so unless he spends a couple of years hanging out on the wing as a shadow of himself like El Masri did towards the end. It would be cool if he can get to 150 tries.
I really don’t care about individual records. If your team hasn’t won jack for far too long is there really any comfort in pointing to some individual records?? For me Cotric stays at centre, hopefully BJ comes back stronger than ever and it’s thanks for the memories Croker!
I'd def have Rapana as a priority to retain over Croker. I'd be in the vast minority around here though.

One issue with BJ and Cotric is neither appear to be a natural left centre.
I agree with you on both issues
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

Post by Cranky Old Man »

There must be a big chance BJ never makes it back.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’m seeing more than enough out of Simonsson, that I would offer Rapana what we could afford and if he declines I would be fine with parting ways.

Croker will be here for life unfortunately so Cotric will go back to the wing for 2020 onwards

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Is anyone else concerned that now that Cotric has had a taste of his preferred right centre position, he won't be happy to bide his time on the wing for another 3-4 years until Croker or BJ retire/leave?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Finchy wrote:Is anyone else concerned that now that Cotric has had a taste of his preferred right centre position, he won't be happy to bide his time on the wing for another 3-4 years until Croker or BJ retire/leave?
Yes it is a big risk to the club, but at least there is trade value there. If he requests a transfer

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Finchy wrote: June 15, 2019, 8:53 pm Is anyone else concerned that now that Cotric has had a taste of his preferred right centre position, he won't be happy to bide his time on the wing for another 3-4 years until Croker or BJ retire/leave?
He won't be biding his time that long.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

edwahu wrote: June 15, 2019, 8:59 pm
Finchy wrote: June 15, 2019, 8:53 pm Is anyone else concerned that now that Cotric has had a taste of his preferred right centre position, he won't be happy to bide his time on the wing for another 3-4 years until Croker or BJ retire/leave?
Why? Who's he replacing?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Finchy wrote: June 15, 2019, 8:59 pm
Why? Who's he replacing?
He will replace Croker or BJ after next year, probably earlier. The club isn't stupid, they won't let a then 21 year old Origin player with 100 first grade games leave in preference for two players who will be on the declinine.

If Cotric goes it will because we can't match the offers he gets.
Last edited by edwahu on June 15, 2019, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Major concern I think! One of them has to make way for him. Seb Kris is handy enough also and weren’t we chasing a pommy centre at one stage?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Cranky Old Man wrote: June 15, 2019, 7:59 pm There must be a big chance BJ never makes it back.
Have you heard anything to suggest that? The club has been quiet on him but I see some are speculating he might be back this year. You may be right - neck injuries are delicate!
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

edwahu wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:03 pm
Why? Who's he replacing?
He will replace Croker or BJ after next year, probably earlier. The club isn't stupid, they won't let a then 21 year old Origin player with 100 first grade games leave in preference for two players who will be on the declinine.

There's no chance they let Croker go after next year, unless Ricky gets sacked and the new coach wants him out. I think Ricky has said publicly so long as he's coach, Croker will be at the club. I can't see Croker leaving until retiring in his 30's TBH.

Also, unless BJ doesn't make it back onto the park due to the neck injury, I doubt he'll be gone in 12 months. Whilst I don;t see him retiring as a Raider, I still think we have a couple of years having him and Rapa.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Finchy wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:07 pm
Why? Who's he replacing?

There's no chance they let Croker go after next year, unless Ricky gets sacked and the new coach wants him out. I think Ricky has said publicly so long as he's coach, Croker will be at the club. I can't see Croker leaving until retiring in his 30's TBH.

Also, unless BJ doesn't make it back onto the park due to the neck injury, I doubt he'll be gone in 12 months. Whilst I don;t see him retiring as a Raider, I still think we have a couple of years having him and Rapa.
Let's see how it ends up playing out.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:07 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: June 15, 2019, 7:59 pm There must be a big chance BJ never makes it back.
Have you heard anything to suggest that? The club has been quiet on him but I see some are speculating he might be back this year. You may be right - neck injuries are delicate!
I strongly suspect the fact he was one tackle away from being paralyzed, and the fact he expressed concern about not being able to run around with his kids might affect any future return to the field mentally, even if he recovers physically.

He may not be as eager to throw himself into players in attack or defence.

The fact that such injuries ended the careers of Andrew Johns and Gorden Tallis also come to mind.

I hope BJ does come back like Brent Tate did, and still have a very good career post-neck injury, but it does worry me that we'll never see the best of BJ again.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

edwahu wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:11 pm
Finchy wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:07 pm

Why? Who's he replacing?

Let's see how it ends up playing out.
Wishful thinking or inside knowledge? Which one do you think will make way for Cotric? Or is it an 'either/or' thing?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

No inside knowledge. If I was a betting man I'd say BJ as they are both right side players, plus the injury issue, plus we are winning without him.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I feel like we are almost there but not quite in terms of a premiership. Issue is I can’t see improvement in Raps, BJ or Croker. Cotric can go to new levels but the others don’t have much improvement left and may likely drop off a bit. Not suggesting we punt them all but if you aren’t quite there you need to do a few things different in order to get there.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

BJ’s Instagram suggests he’s already back in the gym, doing some work. I think he’ll be sweet.

Assuming BJ comes back...

Cotric, BJ, Croker, Simonson and Rapana to fill 4 spots - if we’re unable to fit them all and given Simonson is probably half the price of the rest, it’s Croker that misses out for mine. BJ and Cotric are better centres, Rapana and Simonson are better wingers.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

yeh raiders wrote: June 16, 2019, 11:07 am BJ’s Instagram suggests he’s already back in the gym, doing some work. I think he’ll be sweet.

Cotric, BJ, Croker, Simonson and Rapana to fill 4 spots - if we’re unable to fit them all and given Simonson is probably half the price of the rest, it’s Croker that misses out for mine. BJ and Cotric are better centres, Rapana and Simonson are better wingers.
It's all good to say Croker goes, but how? As I mentioned earlier, Ricky has publicly said so long as he's coaching, Croker will be at the club. He's also the captain.

I can't see the club getting rid of Croker to keep Simonsson due to saving money. I see Simonsson taking the Brenko Lee approach TBH.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There are a heap of players in the club's history you would've thought would never leave but they end up going.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Croker not going anywhere and rightfully so. BS is 5 or so games into what will be a pretty good FG career. He will be backup for a year or so. As this year shows, you need quality backup and that’s what he will be (if he stays) as he develops more.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Finchy wrote: June 16, 2019, 11:20 am
yeh raiders wrote: June 16, 2019, 11:07 am BJ’s Instagram suggests he’s already back in the gym, doing some work. I think he’ll be sweet.

It's all good to say Croker goes, but how? As I mentioned earlier, Ricky has publicly said so long as he's coaching, Croker will be at the club. He's also the captain.

I can't see the club getting rid of Croker to keep Simonsson due to saving money. I see Simonsson taking the Brenko Lee approach TBH.
Unlikely yes, but if we’re serious about winning a comp we need to take emotion out of the decision.

Should have no issue shopping him around, he’ll get a spot somewhere.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep people say all sorts of stuff like Cleary staying at Tigers and Bennett at Broncs - Simmonsen is too good to think he will hang about as backup for 2 years. I agree - take all emotion out of it, it’s Croker that moves on for me. If we lose Cotric or Simmonsen because of some man crush and desire to see what personal records can fall it would be very foolish!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some crazy talk happening! Letting the captain go... seriously.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:Yep people say all sorts of stuff like Cleary staying at Tigers and Bennett at Broncs - Simmonsen is too good to think he will hang about as backup for 2 years. I agree - take all emotion out of it, it’s Croker that moves on for me. If we lose Cotric or Simmonsen because of some man crush and desire to see what personal records can fall it would be very foolish!
I agree, let’s not forget it’s a business and makes logical sense to move Croker on out if the group currently being mentioned.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: June 16, 2019, 5:48 pm Some crazy talk happening! Letting the captain go... seriously.
Not having a go GE but do you think you might struggle to view the Croker debate objectively?

I totally understand what he has been for the club on and off the field. I can see from your perspective as one of the biggest Raiders fans getting about it seems sacrilege to question Croker but if you take the emotion and affection out of it is it really crazy talk?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not having a go Billy, but do you think you might struggle to understand Croker’s full value to the team?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Bemusement ensues whenever talk of letting Leilua move on starts up again.

We’re going well as a team atm. But really we’re struggling big time in attack and people are thinking of moving on the second best centre in the game and our most creative attacking weapon? Really?

We’re missing Leilua heavily, Moreso than we miss Rapana when he’s out too imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

julian87 wrote:Bemusement ensues whenever talk of letting Leilua move on starts up again.

We’re going well as a team atm. But really we’re struggling big time in attack and people are thinking of moving on the second best centre in the game and our most creative attacking weapon? Really?

Julian87 stocks have been rising in this forum for quite a while now
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: June 16, 2019, 6:21 pm Not having a go Billy, but do you think you might struggle to understand Croker’s full value to the team?
Maybe - clubs definitely do need guys like Sia and Croker that bring leadership, unity and whatever else but they have to be the best in position or it’s time for someone else to step up into the leadership role.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: June 16, 2019, 6:58 pm Bemusement ensues whenever talk of letting Leilua move on starts up again.

Sure, but we have three centres off contract end of next year who are all going to be looking at big money. Something has to and will give.

The fact there are two right side players and one has picked up a pretty awful injury has to be a factor in how it plays out.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

edwahu wrote: June 16, 2019, 7:37 pm
julian87 wrote: June 16, 2019, 6:58 pm Bemusement ensues whenever talk of letting Leilua move on starts up again.

Sure, but we have three centres off contract end of next year who are all going to be looking at big money. Something has to and will give.

The fact there are two right side players and one has picked up a pretty awful injury has to be a factor in how it plays out.
Yeah of course. But if we want to win a premiership this year or next then Leilua is important for that if he comes back from a pretty ordinary injury. Cotric was quoted not long ago saying he enjoyed the wing, he played origin there and could well be back there game 3 fitness and Herp Derp Fergo pending.

I’ve just about been Simonsson’s biggest fan pretty early too you wouldn’t want to lose him at this point. But if push comes to shove, Leilua comes back late this year then BS misses out and Cotric returns to left wing without anyone batting an eyelid imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

edwahu wrote: June 16, 2019, 12:38 pm There are a heap of players in the club's history you would've thought would never leave but they end up going.
Schif and Wiki come to mind. But Schif was a Queenslander, and I remember a special they did on him years ago and recall his missus saying she didn't like the cold. I always assumed he would leave Canberra to go back to QLD, but not as early as he did.

Wiki also being a Kiwi, it didn't surprise me as much considering he went back to his homeland, and the Warriors cheated the cap to pay for him.

With Croker being a local boy, I assume his missus is a local girl, his family is local, I can't see him taking off to QLD or NZ, or being paid big bucks to go to a Sydney team. I'd even question whether he would finish his career in England.

Whilst nothing can ever be ruled out, I don't see him leaving any time soon (and nor do I think he should).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

We can ABSOLUTELY win the comp next year with CNK-Cotric-Croker-Joey-Rapana as our back five, and hot tip: that’s still our best back 5

This discussion is absolutely nuts. You people are insane
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 1:54 pm We can ABSOLUTELY win the comp next year with CNK-Cotric-Croker-Joey-Rapana as our back five, and hot tip: that’s still our best back 5

Of course its our BEST back 5, though potentially in the future you swap JC-NC. The question is can we afford to KEEP that back 5, or would some of that money be more effectively spent in another position.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: June 18, 2019, 2:25 pm
The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 1:54 pm We can ABSOLUTELY win the comp next year with CNK-Cotric-Croker-Joey-Rapana as our back five, and hot tip: that’s still our best back 5

Of course its our BEST back 5, though potentially in the future you swap JC-NC. The question is can we afford to KEEP that back 5, or would some of that money be more effectively spent in another position.
That's the key. You need one or ideally two value/rookie players in the back 5. We got great value of Cotric when he was a rookie, but by next contract we'll need to factor in having enough room to keep a genuine Origin star.

At the moment CNK and Simmonnson are that value.

I can't see CNK getting huge offers at the moment as he has a little question mark over his ball playing and speed (not sure there- he's had a crook looking leg so might have a bit more somewhere) so he should stay as a relative value player but it's going to be hard to fit the rest in unless they are willing to stay for reasonable offers, not overs and possibly turn down other clubs who come in.

Otherwise we'll never get that quality halfback or other top-line prop who would make us the full package.