Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: June 18, 2019, 3:11 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 18, 2019, 2:25 pm
The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 1:54 pm We can ABSOLUTELY win the comp next year with CNK-Cotric-Croker-Joey-Rapana as our back five, and hot tip: that’s still our best back 5

This discussion is absolutely nuts. You people are insane
Of course its our BEST back 5, though potentially in the future you swap JC-NC. The question is can we afford to KEEP that back 5, or would some of that money be more effectively spent in another position.
That's the key. You need one or ideally two value/rookie players in the back 5. We got great value of Cotric when he was a rookie, but by next contract we'll need to factor in having enough room to keep a genuine Origin star.

At the moment CNK and Simmonnson are that value.

I can't see CNK getting huge offers at the moment as he has a little question mark over his ball playing and speed (not sure there- he's had a crook looking leg so might have a bit more somewhere) so he should stay as a relative value player but it's going to be hard to fit the rest in unless they are willing to stay for reasonable offers, not overs and possibly turn down other clubs who come in.

Otherwise we'll never get that quality halfback or other top-line prop who would make us the full package.
Do you though? I really like how we’ve got a rolling list of value/rookie forwards coming in doing a great job. Those types are easier to produce, easier to keep hungry and have less effect on a game than dangerous outside backs.

I understand your point about getting a top line halfback (don’t necessarily agree forking out for a prop though) but I think we’ll be waiting a long time before we recruit a bone fide star halfback.

I’m happy with the George Williams plan. We’re not that far off a premiership team.

Also, while I agree with the idea of this all being a business, Ricky has shown he’s prepared to make the hard calls on club legends a la Campo, but Croker is performing at a very high level and there would be potentially huge cultural impact on sending him packing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 19, 2019, 11:45 am
BadnMean wrote: June 18, 2019, 3:11 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 18, 2019, 2:25 pm
The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 1:54 pm We can ABSOLUTELY win the comp next year with CNK-Cotric-Croker-Joey-Rapana as our back five, and hot tip: that’s still our best back 5

This discussion is absolutely nuts. You people are insane
Of course its our BEST back 5, though potentially in the future you swap JC-NC. The question is can we afford to KEEP that back 5, or would some of that money be more effectively spent in another position.
That's the key. You need one or ideally two value/rookie players in the back 5. We got great value of Cotric when he was a rookie, but by next contract we'll need to factor in having enough room to keep a genuine Origin star.

At the moment CNK and Simmonnson are that value.

I can't see CNK getting huge offers at the moment as he has a little question mark over his ball playing and speed (not sure there- he's had a crook looking leg so might have a bit more somewhere) so he should stay as a relative value player but it's going to be hard to fit the rest in unless they are willing to stay for reasonable offers, not overs and possibly turn down other clubs who come in.

Otherwise we'll never get that quality halfback or other top-line prop who would make us the full package.
Do you though? I really like how we’ve got a rolling list of value/rookie forwards coming in doing a great job. Those types are easier to produce, easier to keep hungry and have less effect on a game than dangerous outside backs.

I understand your point about getting a top line halfback (don’t necessarily agree forking out for a prop though) but I think we’ll be waiting a long time before we recruit a bone fide star halfback.

I’m happy with the George Williams plan. We’re not that far off a premiership team.

Also, while I agree with the idea of this all being a business, Ricky has shown he’s prepared to make the hard calls on club legends a la Campo, but Croker is performing at a very high level and there would be potentially huge cultural impact on sending him packing.
I think we do need that value in the back 5. Before Cotric it was Rapana who was the value breakout.

I'm not posting in the Croker thread nor advocating moving him on- I was speaking in relation to what kind of offer we make to Rapana. If someone comes in over the top offering him 600k plus I don't think we can or should match it. If he's on around 4/500k that's plenty for a winger who is starting to cop a few injuries and approaching the back end of a great career. Look how quick Mansour- a similar blockbusting, physical and once dynamic winger has deteriorated.

Sutton is solid. Sia is going to be gone soon. Papa is our only reliable meter eater. Hors and Young- 1 might make it, probably Hors from what I've seen. Lui is playing above himself and his ceiling is a solid 6-7. Yeah I'd like another scary prop.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Do we let Rapana go to keep Simonsson long term?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

we have Simonsson signed up for next year already at least
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Sid wrote: June 26, 2019, 11:09 am we have Simonsson signed up for next year already at least
Yeah but what does that mean if we sign Rapana for a few more years? Contracts mean nothing if a player isn't getting a crack at 1st grade... Raps is my favourite player but it's something to ponder anyway. A few weeks ago I'd never have considered it but the form from Simo has been unbelievable... He has tremendous upside and also would come a lot cheaper
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Raiders666 wrote: June 26, 2019, 11:24 am
Sid wrote: June 26, 2019, 11:09 am we have Simonsson signed up for next year already at least
Yeah but what does that mean if we sign Rapana for a few more years? Contracts mean nothing if a player isn't getting a crack at 1st grade... Raps is my favourite player but it's something to ponder anyway. A few weeks ago I'd never have considered it but the form from Simo has been unbelievable... He has tremendous upside and also would come a lot cheaper
Thank you. Very kind
Dont delete this GE
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Haha
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders666 wrote: June 26, 2019, 11:24 am
On face value I agree with this, but without sight of the full picture including dynamics within the team, training attitudes, life outside footy and what $$ they are respectively seeking its hard to know what the right call is. To me though the upside on Simo seems huge.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I would be cautious about this one. Rapana has looked a touch sluggish and slightly over his previous weight since he has come back.

Not saying we need to ditch him or lowball him, but I would just be careful about making sure we don’t pay overs for a 30 year old winger, despite how good he has been.

When you have outside backs like simonsen and CNK outplaying him and on minimum wage and in need of an eventual upgrade, it’s even more food for thought.
Up The Milk