Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers
Friday 7 June 7:55pm
Western Sydney Stadium
Gates open: 5:30pm
NSW Women's Premiership: Wests Tigers V Cabramatta 5:45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Partly cloudy. Patchy morning fog in the outer west. Slight (20 per cent) chance of a shower. Winds southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light in the morning. Chance of any rain: 30 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 4 mm. Min 12 Max 20

Round 12 2019. Canberra Raiders 12 - Canterbury Bulldogs 10. It was a grinding, ugly game and an ugly win for the Raiders. But with six regular first graders unavailable, three due to injury, three to Origin duty, the most important thing was the two competition points. The Raiders have played better this season, much better, and still lost the match. But the most critical thing over the next month or so, while the team is so disrupted, is that the Raiders keep adding to the competition points tally.

More on Round 12: As I saw it

In Round 13, the Canberra Raiders are again on the road and travel to the Western Sydney Stadium for a meeting with the Wests Tigers. Jordan Rapana returns from injury on the wing, with Michael Oldfield dropping to the extended bench. The Raiders' Origin representatives - Josh Papalii, Nick Cotric and Jack Wighton - have all been named to back up for this match. Sam Williams has retained his position in the halves, alongside Wighton, with Aidan Sezer dropping out of the top 17. With Cotric returning to the centres, Sebastian Kris also drops to the extended bench. Emre Guler comes on to the bench for the suspended Hudson Young.

Moses Mbye will return from a groin injury for the Wests Tigers, provided he gets through Origin on Wednesday night. Corey Thompson moves to the wing and David Nofoaluma drops out of the Tigers' side.

Milestone: Jordan Rapana plays his 100th game for the Raiders in this match.

Late changes: On Thursday night, the Canberra Raiders cut Royce Hunt, JJ Collins and Seb Kris from their squad of 22. Nick Cotric, who is under an injury cloud, remained in the squad, with Michael Oldfield and Aidan Sezer retained on the extended bench. Origin representatives Jack Wighton and Josh Papalii have been passed as fit to play, while a decision will be made on Nick Cotric on Friday.

For the Tigers, David Nofoaluma and Mahe Fonua will both return to the starting side in place of Robert Jennings and Paul Momirovski. Jennings was one of the two players omitted on Thursday night, while Momirovski is on the extended bench with Chris Lawrence. However, Lawrence will play, with his position still to be determined. The Tigers Origin representatives, Moses Mbye and Ryan Matterson are expected to start.

History: The Raiders have won 16 of 35 matches against the Wests Tigers, a 46 per cent win rate. Including games played against the Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers prior to the joint venture, the Raiders have won 49 of 92 contests. But that 53 per cent win rate is significantly boosted by the 75 per cent win rate against the Magpies. The Tigers have always been a bit of a bogey team for the Raiders... excepting the 1989 Grand Final.

The Raiders have won six of the past 10 matches between the clubs, and four of the last five. Canberra won 48-12 in Round 15 last year against the Tigers at Campbelltown. But the Tigers turned that result on its head, winning 22-20 at Canberra Stadium in Round 22.

This is the first match the clubs have played at Parramatta. The Raiders have won seven of 16 games against the Wests Tigers in Sydney (three of 10 at Campbelltown Stadium, three of five at Leichhardt Oval and the only match played at Stadium Australia). This is also the first "home" game the Tigers have played at the Western Sydney Stadium. They lost the other game they have played at the venue this year - the first ever at the brand new stadium - against the Parramatta Eels, 51-6.

2018 Round 22 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

2018 Round 15 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

2017 Round 3 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

Form: Raiders: WLLLW
Tigers: WLWLL

The Wests Tigers have faced the top three teams in their past five matches losing all of them - 42-12 to the Roosters, 24-22 to the Storm and 32-16, in their most recent outing, to the Rabbitohs. They have recent wins over the Panthers and Titans. The Raiders broke a three game losing streak with their narrow win over the Bulldogs last week. The Raiders only other recent win was against the Panthers.

Betting: The Wests Tigers have firmed in the betting over the course of the week and are now $1.85 favourites, with the Raiders paying $1.95. The Raiders have 1.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: It is a battle between fifth (Raiders) and 10th (Tigers) on the ladder. Canberra has a seven and five record to open the season, while the Tigers are five and six. Canberra has won four of six games played away, while the Tigers have won four of five games played at home. The Raiders have won five of six matches against bottom eight teams, while the Tigers have won one of five games against top eight opposition.

Canberra ranks sixth in the league in attack, the Tigers eighth. The Raiders have averaged 20 points (3.2 tries) this season, compared with 19 points (3.4 tries) for the Tigers. The Raiders are now ranked second in defence, with only the Storm having conceded fewer points per match. Canberra has conceded 15 points (2.5 tries) per game this year, compared with 21 points (3.4 tries) for the Tigers.

Both teams complete at an average of around 79 per cent and both average around nine errors per match. The Raiders are controlling possession more effectively this season, averaging a 51 per cent possession share, compared with 47 per cent for the Tigers. However, the Raiders discipline needs to improve. They rank second for most penalties conceded (behind the Panthers, at an average eight per match), while the Tigers are close to the benchmark, conceding six penalties per match.

The Raiders make more runs (171-167), running metres (1540-1423), post contact metres (444-436), kick return metres (182-141) and tackle breaks (31-29) per game than the Tigers. The Tigers make slightly more offloads (9-8), while both teams average three line breaks per game. Both teams are bottom three for line break assists (1.7 per game), but the Tigers produce more try assists (2.3-1.8 per match).

The Wests Tigers love a block play and make more decoy runs than any other team in the competition (an average 49 per match, compared with 38 for the Raiders). The Raiders love to run from dummy half, ranking first in the league for dummy half runs (15 per match) - but the Tigers are not far behind (12 per match).

The Raiders now rank first in the NRL for kicking metres - which is a huge difference from recent seasons. The average 606 metres from 22 kicks per game, compared with 526 metres from 19 kicks for the Tigers. There is little doubt that the Raiders are more aggressive in their kicking game this season... but to some extent, the kicking metres are making up for lower running metres gained.

According to Fox Sports Lab, the Raiders now rank fifth for least running metres conceded (1379 per game), the Tigers 13th (1443 per game). The Tigers have the better effective tackle rate. Both teams average around 14 ineffective tackles per game, but the Raiders miss more than the Tigers (30-21 per match). Indeed no team misses fewer tackles than the Tigers.

Our tip: The Wests Tigers will be well rested for this clash, coming off the bye, while the Raiders have a six day turnaround. That's probably the least of the challenges facing Canberra. The Raiders will have three representative players backing up just 48 hours after State of Origin (Josh Papalii, Nick Cotric and Jack Wighton), the Tigers two (Moses Mbye and Ryan Matterson). The Raiders are even more heavily affected by injury and suspension, with Josh Papalii, Joey Leilua, Corey Horsburgh and Hudson Young all on the sidelines. Four regular first grade players out, three impacted by Origin. That's going to be very difficult for the Raiders to overcome.

Then there's the Raiders record against veterans Benji Marshall and Robbie Farrah. The Raiders have never beaten the Wests Tigers with both of them in the team. Benji Marshall has only lost only one game from 19 against the Raiders, while Farrah has won 14 of 20.

It's going to be a very tough match. The Raiders clearly have the better defence, but the Tigers have put in some very good defensive efforts in some of their matches against top class opposition. There's not much between the teams in attack. But layer on the disruptions to the Raiders' line up - and it's a very difficult match to tip. I'm hoping Canberra can get the competition points, but this is one that could go either way. I'll stick with the men in green in a close one. Raiders by two.

What they're saying:

John Bateman on the Raiders' disruptions: "I might have to ring a few mates and see if they fancy a game of rugby. It's part and parcel of the game, you get injuries and stuff like that, and the boys in Origin at the moment, you can't do much about it. The lads that have been coming in, they'll do a job so that's all we need to worry about. I'll just go out there and do what I do really, everyone else will be doing the same. If everyone does their individual jobs, we'll go out there and get the two points, and that's what it's all about."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan Sutton

18. Aidan Sezer
20. Michael Oldfield

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh (Elbow) 15-17
Hudson Young (Suspended) Round 19
Josh Hodgson (Thumb) Round 18-20
Joey Leilua (Neck) Indefinite
Luke Bateman (Knee) Round 13-14
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Wests Tigers

1. Moses Mbye (C)
18. David Nofoaluma
21. Mahe Fonua
4. Esan Marsters
5. Corey Thompson
6. Benji Marshall
7. Luke Brooks
8. Ben Matulino
9. Robbie Farah
10. Alex Twal
11. Ryan Matterson
12. Chris McQueen
13. Matt Eisenhuth

14. Jacob Liddle
15. Thomas Mikaele
16. Josh Aloiai
17. Michael Chee Kam

3. Paul Momirovski
20. Chris Lawrence

Officials

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Adam Cassidy
Sideline Officials: Liam Kennedy, Nick Morel
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Beau Scott

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLTigersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 13 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads and officials: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1665764
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updates for latest squads, weather, betting: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1665764

Wests Tigers are now the favourites.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day!

Rapana FTS
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Knucklons!

Jack to bounce back off a trampoline and put his Kimmorly Origin moment behind him and put in MOM oerformance!

Caarn Raiders!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Kryptonite wrote:Game Day Knucklons!

Jack to bounce back off a trampoline and put his Kimmorly Origin moment behind him and put in MOM oerformance!

Caarn Raiders!
he's a guy who seems to be able to move on quickly so think he will again
Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Very very tough one tonight. Difficult to get up in a grind ... will have to score some decent points, I think.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: June 7, 2019, 8:57 am Very very tough one tonight. Difficult to get up in a grind ... will have to score some decent points, I think.
Benji factor. I'm expecting a loss.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

This is the game where unexpectedly things click for us. Load up on the raiders to win by plenty! Big win tonight coming up!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 7, 2019, 9:15 am
T_R wrote: June 7, 2019, 8:57 am Very very tough one tonight. Difficult to get up in a grind ... will have to score some decent points, I think.
Benji factor. I'm expecting a loss.
John Bateman factor. I'm expecting a win.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I reckon we'll ambush em..

Hit Bankwest Stadium, grab the points and head home.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

I'm looking to Raiders greats John Bateman and Charnze Nichol-Klokstad to steer us to victory.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

No idea what's going on in Parramatta, but from where I am in city its been raining/drizzling all day.
May be a slippery one.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just arrived. Can see the Stadium from the hotel. Only the lightest sprinkle of rain for a minute in the west.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 7, 2019, 1:19 pm No idea what's going on in Parramatta, but from where I am in city its been raining/drizzling all day.
May be a slippery one.
Good. Bateman is a mudder.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BadnMean wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote: June 7, 2019, 1:19 pm No idea what's going on in Parramatta, but from where I am in city its been raining/drizzling all day.
May be a slippery one.
His father was a mudder

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Cotric has passed his fitness test and will play, according David Riccio on Twitter.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-TW- wrote: June 7, 2019, 1:42 pm
BadnMean wrote:
May be a slippery one.
His father was a mudder

What did I just say?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: June 7, 2019, 1:42 pm
BadnMean wrote:
May be a slippery one.
His father was a mudder

His mudder was a mudder
greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 Rd 13 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers based in my hotel at Parramatta. Not sure why they need a hotel... it's just down the road! Newcastle Knights up the road in Church St by the looks... Saw, Benji Marshall, Luke Brooks and the great Chris Lawrence this afternoon. I scowled at them. Had a walk up to the stadium. Some video on The GH Instagram Stories.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote: June 7, 2019, 3:23 pm Wests Tigers based in my hotel at Parramatta. Not sure why they need a hotel... it's just down the road! Newcastle Knights up the road in Church St by the looks... Saw, Benji Marshall, Luke Brooks and the great Chris Lawrence this afternoon. I scowled at them. Had a walk up to the stadium. Some video on The GH Instagram Stories.
hopefully the hotel fire alarm doesn't go off to disturb the team the night before the game, hey GE :evil:
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bit late for that!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

next time
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Pretty impressive Raiders logo on the side of the stadium there GE. Guessing they swap it over for every visiting team?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Can literally see the stadium from my hotel room window. Google Maps made it look a lot further away. Quite cloudy, not sure it will rain, though. Much warmer than home.

And I remembered just as I stepped into my hotel room that I forgot my flag :(
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 Rd 13 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: June 7, 2019, 4:18 pm Pretty impressive Raiders logo on the side of the stadium there GE. Guessing they swap it over for every visiting team?
It's like a big video screen, but it is not, some sort of light strips which change colour and can display an image, curved around one corner of the stadium, they have the home v away team logos. Plus it flashes up a couple of other screens of other info and stuff. Could put up other pics I imagine.

The food and stand concessions are budget standard, open and simply below the exposed steelworks and seating. At least on the east. Almost the same as Robina, rather than a Lang Park.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Impressive - be interested to hear what you think of the stadium after the game - it looks good.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: June 7, 2019, 4:21 pm Can literally see the stadium from my hotel room window. Google Maps made it look a lot further away. Quite cloudy, not sure it will rain, though. Much warmer than home.

And I remembered just as I stepped into my hotel room that I forgot my flag :(
Plenty of time before kickoff to get creative skater! Hotel bedsheets, scissors, green marker pens - McGyver it!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now night is falling the roof line is flashing orange for the home team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Looks sensational. Same design in the inner north please.
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

greeneyed wrote: June 7, 2019, 4:43 pm Image

Now night is falling the roof line is flashing orange for the home team.

Thats pretty sweet.

What colour needs to be added to Orange to turn it lime green? :hmmm
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sezer in for Williams. Lui and Papalii on the bench.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

What`s this rain/drizzle stuff in Sydney?? Beautiful day in the Gong !!! :D :D
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Love the changes. Papa’s impact will be huge off the bench. Glad Sezer has gotten the nod, hopefully he puts in a good game.

Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Sid wrote: June 7, 2019, 3:26 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 7, 2019, 3:23 pm Wests Tigers based in my hotel at Parramatta. Not sure why they need a hotel... it's just down the road! Newcastle Knights up the road in Church St by the looks... Saw, Benji Marshall, Luke Brooks and the great Chris Lawrence this afternoon. I scowled at them. Had a walk up to the stadium. Some video on The GH Instagram Stories.

Wow GE if we win,i reckon that was the turning point you scowling at them :roflmao