Re: 2019 Rd 13 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by luke »

Anyone know what the crowd was singing?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

luke wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:57 pm Anyone know what the crowd was singing?
Towards the end a rousing rendition of “na na na na, na na na na, heyyyyyy goodbye” started from the he raiders corner. :lol: was awesome
Up The Milk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Seems like we may have unearthed another hidden gem in Simonster. Said it last week but seeing him develop now gives me some comfort if we end up having to lose one of Raps or BJ.

Can't fault Ricky's recruitment this year - first rate. The expansion of the soap dodger brigade is so far a resounding success.

We now need to finish this off by adding a decent halfback and having CNK work overtime on his passing to be up there at the level of the top three.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:59 pm
luke wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:57 pm Anyone know what the crowd was singing?
Towards the end a rousing rendition of “na na na na, na na na na, heyyyyyy goodbye” started from the he raiders corner. :lol: was awesome
Yeah, we were tormenting the Tigers fans who were leaving early. As you do.

Seriously, this game just reinforced my already garbage opinion of Sydney crowds. There was basically no atmosphere except for what the very very loud Raiders contingent created. The few Tigers fans that were there were occasionally good for a boo when they thought the Raiders should have been penalised and some cheering when Chris Lawrence came on and that was about it.

(No, I did not come up with a flag, I did wave my scarf around a lot though.)

We were fantastic. And then right towards the end, Croker scored that try right in front of me. You could see the elation on his face and when we roared our approval at him he roared straight back!

Genuinely exciting. Genuinely delighted. Probably more coherent thoughts to come in the morning: but I was happy for Sezer who played well and very happy for Croker who's copped some criticism in last weeks. His defensive reads were very good this week today.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Would love to see some footage of the Viking Clap at the end. Outstanding! A great night at a great venue

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brilliant Canberra Raiders turn on soccer skills to rout Wests Tigers

Not only did the NRL have the first game at the new Parramatta Stadium. They had the first soccer game there as well. It's the first time in history the Raiders have kept three opponents scoreless in a season after also holding out Parramatta and the Gold Coast.

Then the Viking clap reverberated around the Parramatta Stadium. One Raiders fans will be hoping can be replicated in Civic in the coming years.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 28 (Bailey Simonsson, Jordan Rapana, John Bateman, Jarrod Croker, Aidan Sezer tries; Croker 4 goals) defeated WESTS TIGERS 0 at Parramatta Stadium. Referees: Matt Cecchin, Adam Cassidy. Crowd: 12,585.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Build it Mr Barr and they will come to a shiny new stadium: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Stuart goes with gut to select Sezer over Sam: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/stu ... -over-sam/

Mbye is our captain and not going anywhere: Maguire: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/mby ... --maguire/

Match Report: Rampant Raiders shut out toothless Tigers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/ram ... ss-tigers/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -top-four/

Match Highlights: Wests Tigers v Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/mat ... v-raiders/

Press Conference: Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... ts-tigers/

Video: Stuart: Canberra deserves a stadium like Western Sydney Stadium: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/stu ... -bankwest/

Video: Raiders dazzle with kicking skills: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/rai ... ng-skills/
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Dusty wrote: June 8, 2019, 12:24 am Would love to see some footage of the Viking Clap at the end. Outstanding! A great night at a great venue

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I think I saw Ben Pollack rushing over with his phone out - there's a couple of clips on social media already.

Watching the replay and holy **** we're loud, I love it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Some things I noticed:

1) Maxwell in the Bunker has given up on pronouncing CNK's name. He just says "canberra regained possession" instead of saying Charles Nicole Klokstad like he did last time.
2) Lara Pitt must have a cold. Her voice was so croaky.
3) The crowd was immense... it felt like a home game with the raiders chant going and the dude with the drum beating away.

Very pleased with the result, hope to back it up next week against the peptide cheats.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Hahaha now I can hear us singing to the early-leaver Tigers fans.

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Pity we play Parra in Darwin and not Bankwest again.... lots of raiders fans must live in parramatta, or they knew we were gonna put in a supreme effort against a lackluster tigers team so nearly everyone travelled from Canberra.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Lots of travellers I think. The time would have helped; you could almost leave Canberra at 4:30pm and make it in time, which opens it up to people not having to take a day off. The temptation of a four day weekend if you did take the day off probably contributed as well. For me, I had other commitments in Sydney this weekend, so it wasn't much for me to take an extra day and go up early.

God it's great to hear that Viking Clap at an away game.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Got to say, the atmosphere down with the Raiders fans in the south east corner... it was just great. As the Tigers fans left, there was singing... Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye... and multiple Viking Claps... lots of chanting. Anyone who says you can't have a great Viking Clap with four or five thousand people... they weren't there last night. Outstanding!

The stadium is outstanding, the seating fantastic. Sadly, the entire western side is corporates and media... and we'd want to avoid that at a new Canberra Stadium. Having seats for the public which only look into the sun... it is not good. The other thing... at night, the lights are right along the roof line... and they shine directly into the eyes of the spectators. Again another thing to avoid. The finishes are a bit budget in the food and bar areas, they are open to the elements and look up to the steel girders and the underside of the seats. Think Robina Stadium, rather than a Lang Park. But one outstanding thing about it is that those areas front directly onto the stadium. You can stand eating at tables, looking straight out onto the field. I've never seen anything quite like it, and it is a really great feature. The atmospheric lighting outside, as I posted at the start of the thread, and inside... wow it is good! It is a great stadium all round.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

-PJ- wrote: June 7, 2019, 10:20 am I reckon we'll ambush em..

Hit Bankwest Stadium, grab the points and head home.
Good call PJ..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ultima wrote: June 7, 2019, 9:32 pm Jason Croker with a try according to the commentators!
I was at work during the game listening through ABC Granstand.

Johnny Gibbs kept calling..Josh Bateman !!!

His co-commentators didn't even correct him..all night this went on !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Have to agree with all the comments here about the defence and the travelling fans.

One thing that doesn’t seem to have got much of a mention is Tarpine. His first tackle set the tone for the game and he ran hard in both his stints. He’s a great asset to the team and still isn’t back to his absolute best.

If we play with that attitude and application every week we will be very hard to beat. Need to make sure it’s there every week because it went missing against the cowboys but I’m impressed with how the team has responded to that loss.

I’d also like to see us scoring off some set plays when attacking he line. There’s never been any doubt in our ability to put the magic plays on but to win the big matches we are going to need to execute sharp plays that break down high quality defence. It’s a minor gripe but also exciting to think there’s improvement in this team.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Watching on tv and one point listening on the radio, it reminds you of the RA days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

What about those pommy geezers hey?
This place is woke.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Ultima wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:35 pm This place some times.... Best game of the year and all some of you have to ad is "the Tigers were bad".

First time in our history to keep three teams to zero in a season, a it's not over and this game had some **** amazing defence!

Biggest win of the season, with at least a million plus sitting on the sidelines, origin players backing up and others not at 100%

We weren't favourites for that game and we smashed it. **** amazing effort and **** all the pricks who still highlight negatives after something like that.... (and to the pricks who only post **** when we lose and don't show up otherwise)
The irony dripping off this post is sensational. Lecturing the rest of us about being negative???

:roflmao
:roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: June 8, 2019, 12:05 am Seems like we may have unearthed another hidden gem in Simonster. Said it last week but seeing him develop now gives me some comfort if we end up having to lose one of Raps or BJ.

Can't fault Ricky's recruitment this year - first rate. The expansion of the soap dodger brigade is so far a resounding success.

We now need to finish this off by adding a decent halfback and having CNK work overtime on his passing to be up there at the level of the top three.
I think that is spot on. We are very much a top 4 side at the moment and from there who knows, things click you end up premiers. Week to week we are improving despite injuries and disruptions. The areas we need to continue to improve are:

Half back - repeat sets, last tackle options, early clean ball to Cotric.

CKN - he is a star but yes he needs that link passing game.

Set plays - last night saw a pile of entertaining, opportuninistic tries but let’s see us start systematically pulling defences apart.

Not saying we were bad or far off the pace, as it stands I think we are an even money chance against Storm, Roosters and Rabbits, but get these things right and they don’t get near us!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote: It is a great stadium all round.
It’s rectangular innit?...

On a serious note, had a great time last night. Stadium is great. The Raiders were great. The Viking Clap was great. Only complaint on the stadium was that I tried to buy some of the better seats at the gate and they told me those sections were sold out - well clearly not. Either the staff didn’t know what they were doing or they had too many allocated to Ticketek.

I think you’re being a bit harsh on the Tigers fans raiderskater, it’s hard to get atmosphere from 5k fans when your team is being dominated on the field.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

The most pleasing thing for me was that our attack still struggled. Apart from the last 5 minutes of the 1st half where Sezer capitalised on a tigers over chase and Bateman did the same, I felt our attack was one dimensional and clunky.

The 2nd half points we scored were off the back of tremendous defense that pressurised the Tigers and led directly to a number of errors that were capitalised on...not saying that's a bad thing, just the opposite...being able to score off the back of your defense, rather than having to score 30 points cause you know you're going to let in 20 is a much beeter position to be in, and is a trait that a lot of successful teams over the years have had.

To be a real threat, we'll have to be able to score from both ends of the field, but I think that will come once Hodgo's back, and he, Sezer and Jack work out a few combinations there could be some real happy days ahead
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:15 pm
gergreg wrote: June 7, 2019, 10:54 pm You setting your sights on Havili this week?

Haha

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Did you see the speed of attack increase when Starling moved into dummy half? When Hodgo returns I think Ricky will think long and hard about who is back up 9. Havilli is a solid middle forward but Starling brings a dash from dummy half that will trouble tiring players around the ruck. I liked the look of Starling. I want to see more from him but he’s putting pressure on Havilli I think.
I think you're out of your mind.... to be fair.
Indeed. There's no point carrying Starling on the bench when Hodgo plays 80 minutes. Havili is perfectly suited to playing a middle forward role and if Billy feels the need to put a curse on the players again, Havili will be able to slot into dummy half.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: June 8, 2019, 8:21 am
greeneyed wrote: It is a great stadium all round.
It’s rectangular innit?...

On a serious note, had a great time last night. Stadium is great. The Raiders were great. The Viking Clap was great. Only complaint on the stadium was that I tried to buy some of the better seats at the gate and they told me those sections were sold out - well clearly not. Either the staff didn’t know what they were doing or they had too many allocated to Ticketek.

I think you’re being a bit harsh on the Tigers fans raiderskater, it’s hard to get atmosphere from 5k fans when your team is being dominated on the field.
They were sold out on Ticketek too. I can only imagine they were allocated to Tigers members who didn't turn up.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

When was the last time we held another side scoreless 3 times in one year?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

1992 wrote:When was the last time we held another side scoreless 3 times in one year?
Never.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I am not sure if anyone else at the game saw this - on that last play just before half time, I saw Bateman SCREAMING at Klokstad, absolutely giving him a serve. You can see a bit of it on the TV coverage as Sutton takes it up in the corner of the screen. I commented to my wife that I didn't know what that was about - next play, Bateman puts a kick through to Klokstad for the try. I hope Fox or Channel Nine show that in their coverage of the game over the weekend, shows how much desire the guy has - what a buy.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: June 8, 2019, 9:04 am
Lui_Bon wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 7, 2019, 10:54 pm You setting your sights on Havili this week?

Haha

Did you see the speed of attack increase when Starling moved into dummy half? When Hodgo returns I think Ricky will think long and hard about who is back up 9. Havilli is a solid middle forward but Starling brings a dash from dummy half that will trouble tiring players around the ruck. I liked the look of Starling. I want to see more from him but he’s putting pressure on Havilli I think.
Indeed. There's no point carrying Starling on the bench when Hodgo plays 80 minutes. Havili is perfectly suited to playing a middle forward role and if Billy feels the need to put a curse on the players again, Havili will be able to slot into dummy half.

Each week there is a middle forward on the bench that gets little time. Last night it was Guler. I think Starling offers something different. He’s cover for Hodgo and can offer 10-20 mins of pace out of dummy half if we run them in tandem against tiring forwards. It’s worth considering I think.
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

What an away game to go to! So glad I went. The Raiders crowd was epic. I got chils when joining in the Viking clap. Literally felt like a home game. Great stadium too. 😁
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Lui_Bon wrote:

Haha

Between having 2 80 min backrowers, an 80 min hooker and 3 props/locks capable of large minutes (papa, sutton, tapine) theres really only a need for 2 props on the bench to rotate us throufh the game. This leaves us with 2 bench positions to use for injury cover or an enthusiasm injection. At full strength youre going to have Horsburgh, lui, sia, young, havili and starling to pick 4 from.
Dont delete this GE
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

I want to add my voice to all those who have given the crowd a rap - wow, you guys were sensational! The cheering was epic, and so glad Rob (?) was there to bang the drum. I think the acoustics in that stadium might help as well- GIO is hopeless for carrying the cheering.
Watching on TV there was no doubt that the Raiders supporters were there to make some noise! Great work!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree with whoever it was saying it’s a shame the Parra game is Darwin or wherever. I’d be pumped to head back to BankWest in a few weeks...
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Ohhhhh.

My throat hurts this morning. Good thing I came prepared for this one and brought Strepsils.

Oh and I'm extra tired because I, uh, stayed up to watch the replay on Fox in my room.

This is a good feeling. Or it would be a better one if I wasn't about to spend six hours in an ice rink, but y'know...

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

simo wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:

Haha

Between having 2 80 min backrowers, an 80 min hooker and 3 props/locks capable of large minutes (papa, sutton, tapine) theres really only a need for 2 props on the bench to rotate us throufh the game. This leaves us with 2 bench positions to use for injury cover or an enthusiasm injection. At full strength youre going to have Horsburgh, lui, sia, young, havili and starling to pick 4 from.
Havili is a pretty good guy to have on the bench and is more versatile than Starling. I think Havili has good impact off the bench too. Solid defender, runs good lines, rarely gets dominated in the ruck and has a quick play the ball.

Shoving it in your face since 2017