Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Origin rep bias or no, however the judiciary came to the McGuire / Young inconsistency, I don’t agree with it. I think McGuire should’ve been given time on the sidelines.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

Post by gerg »

PigRickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 10, 2019, 11:34 am I almost fully support GEs agenda here. The only thing holding me back is he would probably be the first to squeal about NSW bias if McGuire was suspended for an Origin game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Oh he would. And nsw fans who agree with his positions on this stuff routinely find themselves opposing him at origin time calling him biased. And him back to them. Amazing what happens when people end up on the opposite sides of fandom.

Now there is a really obvious self reflection moment there and one MIGHT ask themselves if the level of bias changes at origin time, or just the posters POV/fandom have changed... but I wouldn’t waste much time on that ;)
Your thoughts on the 'seemingly' light punishments dished out to Surgess and McGuire and why it has occurred?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

Post by greeneyed »

I think the high profile players and clubs get better treatment due to unrecognised bias... and then there is the deliberate choices that the NRL takes, as part of NRL policy, which benefit some clubs at the expense of others, due to commercial imperatives... but then they fail to compensate the penalised clubs.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

:lol:
Nothing to see here.
Even after Hudson's suspension McGuire still knows he will get away with it.
What a pathetic sporting organisation, there is no helping those pushing some tree hugging agenda.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: June 10, 2019, 12:23 pm
PigRickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 10, 2019, 11:34 am I almost fully support GEs agenda here. The only thing holding me back is he would probably be the first to squeal about NSW bias if McGuire was suspended for an Origin game.

Oh he would. And nsw fans who agree with his positions on this stuff routinely find themselves opposing him at origin time calling him biased. And him back to them. Amazing what happens when people end up on the opposite sides of fandom.

Now there is a really obvious self reflection moment there and one MIGHT ask themselves if the level of bias changes at origin time, or just the posters POV/fandom have changed... but I wouldn’t waste much time on that ;)
Your thoughts on the 'seemingly' light punishments dished out to Surgess and McGuire and why it has occurred?

I think the MRC and judiciary have been a total and utter **** show for as long as I can remember. And the only thing consistent about them has been the glaring inconsistency.
The whole system, from grading to contesting, to points and fines, to loading needs a total overhaul

I don’t think there is any rhyme or reason for it.
Occams Razor, the system is a joke and those administering it are incompetent boobs.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

PigRickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote:

I think the MRC and judiciary have been a total and utter **** show for as long as I can remember. And the only thing consistent about them has been the glaring inconsistency.
The whole system, from grading to contesting, to points and fines, to loading needs a total overhaul

Occams Razor, the system is a joke and those administering it are incompetent boobs.
Do you think higher profile players receive lesser punishment?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: June 10, 2019, 1:20 pm
PigRickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote:

No, not really.
I think the MRC and especially the judiciary are loathe to suspend players for big matches such as origins and final matches, so on that front those guys probably get a softer landing than they deserve, but I think our players, it involved in those match ups would get a good shake of it too, as evidenced by the judiciary letting jack walk clean on a technicality re his shoulder charge

And I don’t think that’s nrl driven, I think that’s driven by those decision makers making an very conscious decision to lift the bar for those matches
It’s why I’ve always argued that trial match, regular season, finals, SOO, and international games should be different points

You should be able to get 300 points and miss 3 regular season games, but if you have 350 or more points, that’s worth missing an origin game for. I think that’s the only way to solve the issue

I’m dumbfounded the McGuire charges and I think the vast majority of NRL fans are too. I don’t think there is anything nefarious about it though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, I'm totally OK with Hudson Young getting a few weeks off for his matter (although I think 5 weeks is a bit harsh given that his intentions were not totally clear). However, this Josh McGuire situation is absolutely outrageous. The same issue, twice in one season, and he only ends up with a couple of fines because the victim wasn't prepared to make an on-field complaint.

It really is a joke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

PigRickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 10, 2019, 1:20 pm
PigRickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: Oh he would. And nsw fans who agree with his positions on this stuff routinely find themselves opposing him at origin time calling him biased. And him back to them. Amazing what happens when people end up on the opposite sides of fandom.

No, not really.
I think the MRC and especially the judiciary are loathe to suspend players for big matches such as origins and final matches, so on that front those guys probably get a softer landing than they deserve, but I think our players, it involved in those match ups would get a good shake of it too, as evidenced by the judiciary letting jack walk clean on a technicality re his shoulder charge

And I don’t think that’s nrl driven, I think that’s driven by those decision makers making an very conscious decision to lift the bar for those matches
It’s why I’ve always argued that trial match, regular season, finals, SOO, and international games should be different points

You should be able to get 300 points and miss 3 regular season games, but if you have 350 or more points, that’s worth missing an origin game for. I think that’s the only way to solve the issue

I’m dumbfounded the McGuire charges and I think the vast majority of NRL fans are too. I don’t think there is anything nefarious about it though.
All fair points and I agree with different game types having different penalty levels, but that isn't what the rules currently are. I wasn't talking specifically on the McGuire incident/s, Surgess seems teflon coated too. As with everything NRL nothing will change until there's a bit of noise in the media.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I just think they screwed those grades up
I think they screw grades up on a literal weekly basis, and inevitably some of those end up being big name players and those are the cases we remember

Let’s be real, if Hudson Young got fined for his gauge the only people who’d commit that to memory are raiders fans. No one else would care to remember it.

There is plenty of times high profile players have got banged, JWH got done two weeks for tackling Kayln Ponga a touch late and WAY too hard for our new golden boy and plenty of times when they’ve gotten off lightly
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ah to be young and naive like piggles. Of course there’s no rhyme or reason for the mistakes they make. It’s not at all impacted by being a billion dollar sport with groups of influence and agenda. Everyone just plays nice and fairly and that is Occam’s razor. Because if it’s one thing that human history has taught us it’s that everyone will always play fairly, and especially with large sums of money involved.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

P.S. as we’ve discussed before, using Jack as an example is sheer stupidity. The reason he got off was because citing Jack and not Ennis overstepped the bounds of what the media and public are willing to tolerate in terms of fair treatment. If Jack was never cited you had an argument.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What **** me off even more than the McGuire thing...which is a farce...is the platform that a ''see you in the N.T.'' like Sam Burgess has to absolutely rip into Young, while the prick continues on his merry way crossing the line with his dirty, niggling play every single week.

Young was a bit dumb in what he did - although I don't think it was a clear cut gouge - but all the other rubbish around it is a bit hard to cop.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh good! Here’s gangers to present the evidence and findings of his study into charges of the NRL MRC and Judiciary!

Eagerly anticipated

(Pssst, stay vigilant! They are out to get you. One day we’ll know the scary truth, until then ... )

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh McGuire's great escape and Canberra Raiders Hudson Young ban put eye-gouges high on the NRL agenda

The NRL is set to come under fire for the inconsistencies that have sidelined Hudson Young and again spared josh McGuire. Young’s absence is a blow for the Raiders in a game key forward Ryan Sutton believes will be won up front with the Sharks boosted by the brilliant return of Wade Graham.

"He's a great player, and we've got great players against him. That's all we've got to focus on, ourselves," Sutton said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

They just briefly showed a different angle of the Young one on NRL 360 and it looked a fair bit worse than the one that's been shown before. I still think McGuire deserves a suspension but can see why it wouldn't attract the same grading at least.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who's on the MRC/Judiciary ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I had only seen the stills of McGuire's latest but they just showed the footage on 100% footy. That is without a doubt worse than Hudson-Young's. He really dug the thumb in and shouldn't be playing another game this year. There is no place in the game for that crap.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PigRickman wrote: June 10, 2019, 11:45 am

GE definitely changes at State of Origin time as the Maroon mist is inhaled. I'll give an example, when Queensland win he puts:
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
in his posts.

When was the last time he put:
RAIDER!
RAIDER!
RAIDER!
in a post when the Raiders win

Much less
KANGAROO!
KANGAROO!
KANGAROO!
in a post when Australia win.

It is clear that Origin football is different for GE. The normally urbane GE does his Billy Moore impersonation in print.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL back match review committee after Josh McGuire fine and five match ban for Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young

NRL head of elite football Graham Annesley has backed the match review committee's treatment of facials and eye-gouges amidst a green wave of frustration.

"There is a difference between a facial, for want of a better term ... and poking around in the eyes of an opponent, and what we would traditionally call eye-gouging," Annesley said. "There is a significant difference. The match review committee have to rely on the evidence.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Video: Graham Annesley weekly football briefing – Round 13: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/11/gra ... -round-13/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

What a load of fudgenuggets !!!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Like I said, there is worse footage of Young than has been widely shown and if you can catch a replay of NRL360 from last night you can see it. There is a difference between the two based on that footage and what we have seen of McGuire's.

McGuire still deserved a grade one though as he did make contact with Walker's eyes and according to the NRL criteria that's a dangerous contact charge.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: June 11, 2019, 5:12 pm Like I said, there is worse footage of Young than has been widely shown. There is a difference between the two based on the footage we have seen.

McGuire still deserved a grade one though as he did make contact with Walker's eyes and according to the NRL criteria that's a dangerous contact charge.
No ones saying Hudson doesnt deserve punishment..

But how many more guys does McGuire have to eye gouge before he's suspended.

This isn't about Hudson anymore, it's about letting a serial offender continue to get away with it..
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Like I said, there is worse footage of Young than has been widely shown and if you can catch a replay of NRL360 from last night you can see it. There is a difference between the two based on that footage and what we have seen of McGuire's.

Clearly McGuire is just conducting some preliminary optical examinations for the Fred Hollows foundation.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

One thing is certain.

If Spud Carroll was a judiciary member no one would be getting suspended.

It would be a $1 fine for every punch thrown and $2 for a headbutt.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

-PJ- wrote: June 11, 2019, 5:16 pm
edwahu wrote: June 11, 2019, 5:12 pm Like I said, there is worse footage of Young than has been widely shown. There is a difference between the two based on the footage we have seen.

No ones saying Hudson doesnt deserve punishment..

But how many more guys does McGuire have to eye gouge before he's suspended.

This isn't about Hudson anymore, it's about letting a serial offender continue to get away with it..
That’s the thing, no one is disagreeing with what Hudson young got it’s the consistency with the grading and the fact that this **** has done it twice is what is boiling everyone piss over this 😡🤬
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sure, but the fact is that the Young one was much worse based on the evidence, so to ask for same grading is to ask for inconsistency.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are people asking for the same grading? There’s a fair gap between 0 weeks and 5 weeks.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: June 11, 2019, 6:07 pm Are people asking for the same grading? There’s a fair gap between 0 weeks and 5 weeks.
That's what I was responding to in the post above.

I think McGuire deserved a grade 1 Dangerous conduct charge, but to argue it's the same ball park as Young is wrong based on the evidence at hand. The other angle of Young shows him very clearly digging his thumb into Tolmans eyes.

I will see if I can upload the footage somehow, I think it would change some minds as it did mine.
Last edited by edwahu on June 11, 2019, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

We are all just lost IQ points listening to the waffle delivered to explain the difference and the rationale.

Seriously NRL kick the politicians and lawyers out of this process and stop arguing degrees of grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

On that token if it takes 5 minutes to explain it, your doing it wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Why are people so obsessed with this idea that Raiders fans think Young shouldn't have been suspended? Of course we do! We're just pissed at the inconsistency of the NRL (once again) in not suspending McGuire! One does not preclude the other!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Here's the other angle of Young

https://streamable.com/7uc92
Are you able to also upload the most recent one from McGuire? I honestly think it's comparable.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

raiderskater wrote: June 11, 2019, 7:19 pm Why are people so obsessed with this idea that Raiders fans think Young shouldn't have been suspended? Of course we do! We're just pissed at the inconsistency of the NRL (once again) in not suspending McGuire! One does not preclude the other!
I haven't said that at all though.