Tigers 13+
13%

Total votes: 15

Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Re: 2019 Rd 13 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by Green Taipan »

No idea who is available with injuries, SOO and possible suspensions but I do think it is time to give Sezer a run. He is faster, a better defended and is more willing to take the line on. We need to get to Benji early and hit him hard.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

OK... so, no Hodgo, no BJ, no Young, no Horse, probably no Murchie, probably no Rapa. We really need our 3 Origin stars to backup.

Im going with:
1. CNK
2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Coin toss/ paper, scissors, rock, lizard, Spock for Sammy and Sezer - its worth noting that Sezer played left side in attack on the weekend (Jacks side)
8. Papa (might not start, as per @Rickman team)
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling (unless they pick Sezer as the 2nd hooker)
15. Guler/ Hunt
16. Soliola
17. Sutton

IMO, if Rapana is back, Oldfield is the man to miss out. Ive been super impressed with Simonsson. He is the one making the extra efforts carrying the ball out of our end, taking taps from the 20, and even taking dropouts. In the last 3 weeks Simonsson has 417m from 51 carries vs Oldfield's 358m from 36. Now, 10m per carry is very good, BUT, Simonsson's workrate has been Rapana/Cotric-esque. So... who is filling those shoes better? Also, who is wearing Rapa's #5? If they were to use one of them as a utility, Simonsson is the better option though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: June 3, 2019, 2:50 pm 1. CNK
2. Simmonsen
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalli
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Sutton
17. Soliola

Amending my team now Young and Horse are confirmed out.
If Rapana comes in Simmonsen drops back to the reserves and Oldfield switches sides. Tapine to continue in the middle building fitness.
Yep, same as I picked, including preference for Oldfield over Simonsson at this stage (great carries out of our end).

I guess where I disagree with Matt is the quality of the work. Oldfield is by no means shirking any carries and when he does I notice the energy and effectiveness of the run every time. Simonnsen takes a run but it's never bending the line. Similarly in defence I thought Oldie was huge vs Dogs, noticeably good and going above and beyond. Simonnsen was a but more just ok for mine.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

We’ll still be able to field a decent team this weekend, however any more injuries or suspensions and it’s getting bleak.

Papalii -> Horsburgh
Guler -> Young
Cotric -> Kris
Rapana -> Simonsson
Wighton -> Williams
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Will to win drives Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to new heights

What makes Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad one of the best fullbacks in the NRL this season?

"I was pretty gassed after that run and there was only a few minutes left after that and I just remember saying to myself 'I don't want to get back on that bus and drive all the way home with the loss'," he said. "So, it was a relief to get the ball back for the last 30 seconds knowing we got the win. The emotions got the best of us, we were quite happy about it."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/03/wil ... w-heights/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

BadnMean wrote: June 3, 2019, 3:41 pm
2. Simmonsen
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalli
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Sutton
17. Soliola

If Rapana comes in Simmonsen drops back to the reserves and Oldfield switches sides. Tapine to continue in the middle building fitness.
Yep, same as I picked, including preference for Oldfield over Simonsson at this stage (great carries out of our end).

I guess where I disagree with Matt is the quality of the work. Oldfield is by no means shirking any carries and when he does I notice the energy and effectiveness of the run every time. Simonnsen takes a run but it's never bending the line. Similarly in defence I thought Oldie was huge vs Dogs, noticeably good and going above and beyond. Simonnsen was a but more just ok for mine.
Yeah Simonsson having trouble bending the line is what did it for me. Kids got a huge motor and doesn't shirk the tough stuff but Oldfield nearly went through a few times.
Whoever is picked won't be found wanting for effort. Good position to be in.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders John Bateman: "I might have to ring a few mates and see if they fancy a game of rugby league"

Rookie Raider Hudson Young has been slapped with a five game ban for an eye gouge in an untimely blow for Canberra's top four charge.

"I might have to ring a few mates and see if they fancy a game of rugby," Bateman said. "It's part and parcel of the game, you get injuries and stuff like that, and the boys in Origin at the moment, you can't do much about it.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: June 3, 2019, 4:34 pm
2. Simmonsen
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalli
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Sutton
17. Soliola

Yeah Simonsson having trouble bending the line is what did it for me. Kids got a huge motor and doesn't shirk the tough stuff but Oldfield nearly went through a few times.
Agree boys. Neither will be an issue
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raider47 wrote: June 3, 2019, 4:03 pm We’ll still be able to field a decent team this weekend, however any more injuries or suspensions and it’s getting bleak.

Papalii -> Horsburgh
Guler -> Young
Cotric -> Kris
Rapana -> Simonsson
Wighton -> Williams
Yeah we're sweating on no more injuries or dumb suspensions (touch wood). We'll miss the Hors, he was immense in that first half vs the Dogs, he's expanding his game with some more angles and offloads nicely.

We'll need more from Sia if we are going to get over the Tigers. They are similar to us in that they just came of two fairly close games vs Melbourne and Bunnies that they lost but were close enough to feel they can still do something good thus year and now they re depart for a win. It's going to be another attitude game.

I feel like without the enthusiasm Hors and Young bring that Sia needs to step back up and lead that for us. Really rip in. He never locks effort but we'll need something special from him and Whitehead. Tapine might be just about ready to hit his straps too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders trio brace for gruelling 48 hours

Canberra's trio of State of Origin stars will have less than 48 hours to back up from rugby league's toughest arena as the Raiders look to force their way back into the top four.

"That's best for myself and the team, to prepare as if I will be playing. Then if anything happens I will be ready, and if not, then I don't need to," Sebastian Kris said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote: We'll need more from Sia if we are going to get over the Tigers. They are similar to us in that they just came of two fairly close games vs Melbourne and Bunnies that they lost but were close enough to feel they can still do something good thus year and now they re depart for a win. It's going to be another attitude game.
Well let’s be their equivalent of the Cowboys loss with them failing to get up for a lesser opponent. They can have their bounce back Bulldogs win against whoever they play the following week Image
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

its simple, if Marshall is ON, we are dead!!!
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

Can’t believe there are so many sad sacks on here who are full of doom and gloom... this is a different raiders team to those in the last few years...it can actually tackle...

If anything, it’s most likely Benji Boy will go off injured after a tackle by Elliot then Benji being the reason why the tigers might win...
starry91
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: papali

Post by starry91 »

Matt wrote: June 3, 2019, 4:41 pm
zim wrote: June 3, 2019, 4:34 pm
2. Simmonsen
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalli
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Sutton
17. Soliola

Agree boys. Neither will be an issue
Could u rotate wingers??
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Benji Marshall has lost 1 game against the Raiders.....EVER!!!!, and has been the sole reason why Raiders have lost against the all opposition teams he played for that year, SHUT HIM DOWN and Raiders WIN, also Fonua I cant stand him, hope he gets smashed
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Crusader wrote:Benji Marshall has lost 1 game against the Raiders.....EVER!!!!, and has been the sole reason why Raiders have lost against the all opposition teams he played for that year, SHUT HIM DOWN and Raiders WIN, also Fonua I cant stand him, hope he gets smashed
Oh yeah? And how did he go the last time he played John Bateman??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

The Rickman wrote:
Crusader wrote:Benji Marshall has lost 1 game against the Raiders.....EVER!!!!, and has been the sole reason why Raiders have lost against the all opposition teams he played for that year, SHUT HIM DOWN and Raiders WIN, also Fonua I cant stand him, hope he gets smashed
Oh yeah? And how did he go the last time he played John Bateman??

I like what you just did right there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Someone use their photoshop skills and get a photo of Benji in his tigers gear posing with Drake

That’ll do it

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

greeneyed wrote: June 3, 2019, 4:33 pm Will to win drives Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to new heights

What makes Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad one of the best fullbacks in the NRL this season?

"I was pretty gassed after that run and there was only a few minutes left after that and I just remember saying to myself 'I don't want to get back on that bus and drive all the way home with the loss'," he said. "So, it was a relief to get the ball back for the last 30 seconds knowing we got the win. The emotions got the best of us, we were quite happy about it."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/03/wil ... w-heights/
What a great article. Charnze has real passion for the game, loves to win, and plays his heart out. Oozing talent but really humble. Plenty of time to connect with the fans as well, from what I’ve seen. It’s a blessing to have people like that on the team! :clap:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How heartbreaking loss drives Canberra Raiders new cult hero Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

In the space of 12 rounds Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has gone from zero to cult hero.

“I’m loving it eh? I’m just loving everything about Canberra,” Nicoll-Klokstad says. “I had a brother — Tyson — who passed away in 2010. He had a disability — muscular dystrophy — so that’s where that involvement stemmed from.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 31eeec7399
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gotta love CNK.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Young fan given birthday gift from Canberra Raiders hero Jordan Rapana

Canberra star Jordan Rapana has once again justified his tag as one of rugby league’s good guys after giving up his time for a young fan’s birthday.

Rapana, who had no affiliation with the family, arrived on cue sporting a pair of footy boots and one of his personal playing jerseys.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 31eeec7399
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I agree Benji will tear us a new one as usual.

It might be a ‘different team’ but some things never get old.

Then the Sharks always winning in Canberra the following week...

In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm hearing superstar Chris Lawrence will play as well..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: June 4, 2019, 11:40 am I agree Benji will tear us a new one as usual.

It might be a ‘different team’ but some things never get old.

Then the Sharks always winning in Canberra the following week...

God you're **** miserable, aren't you?? We're a genuine chance of winning BOTH those games, misery guts.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

if Rapana Returns which looks likely, who goes?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Crusader wrote: June 4, 2019, 11:47 am if Rapana Returns which looks likely, who goes?
For me Simonsson goes to the bench. They wanted to try this weeks ago in the game Rapana originally got injured.

The plan was for Simonsson to come on as a roving lock-type role against tired forwards, and I'm pretty excited to see how that plays out.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

If Simonsson starts from the bench, I guess that would also mean we either need bigger minutes from Starling so that Havilii can play some non-hooker middle minutes too, or Starling to drop out with Havilii to play 80 if he is up to it.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

-PJ- wrote: June 4, 2019, 11:43 am I'm hearing superstar Chris Lawrence will play as well..
wow, he always scores against us. Im sorry if people are getting sick and tired of hearing Marshalls name, but them just the facts bruv, he has been killing the Raiders since 04. Has only lost to Canberra once in 2012, 30-16, he is THANOS!!!! another Oman Raiders have is they have never won with black socks, 2 weeks ago against cowboys, last year against sharks, never won in our 2010 away strip.

in saying all this, Raiders are a new team, i cant remember the last time we have had a passionate fullback, or a player thats not the biggest but tackles the hardest and runs even harder in Bateman and Elliot. we are down on troops but they will be pumped for this game given its at a new stadium too and gonna be a cold one.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think we'll beat the Tigs..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If we play a back as the number 14 you can’t pick 2 hookers.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and John Bateman speak after the Green Machine's win over the Canterbury Bulldogs

The Canberra Raiders have been hit by another blow - with young forward Hudson Young rubbed out for five matches for eye gouging. The incident souring a gritty 12-10 win over the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, that came with a host of players on the sidelines, WIN News Canberra reports.

Video: http://ow.ly/iqnn50uvSwp

VIDEO: Sam Williams: We need to stay in touch: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -in-touch/

NRL.com Wests Tigers v Raiders: Round 13 preview: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/04/wes ... 3-preview/

98-year-old Myrtle meets Raider 98: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... raider-98/

Five Things: Raiders v Tigers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -v-tigers/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:If we play a back as the number 14 you can’t pick 2 hookers.
I didn’t say 14, I said 17. The same as what they attempted to do last time Rapana got injured. It’s a real shame too, as it was an intriguing idea.

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: June 4, 2019, 12:41 pm
julian87 wrote:If we play a back as the number 14 you can’t pick 2 hookers.
I didn’t say 14, I said 17. The same as what they attempted to do last time Rapana got injured. It’s a real shame too, as it was an intriguing idea.

We had an 80 min hooker last time though. With havs at 9 i think it thins us out in the prop rotation this week with papa backing up and younghorse out. I think an extra middle for this game is the correct play
Dont delete this GE