Jarrod Croker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: Sack Croker...

Post by Lui_Bon »

julian87 wrote: June 2, 2019, 8:30 pm I really think you guys are absolutely nuts.

The centers in the NRL last week were: Jennings, Hoffman, Whare, Blake, Walker, Parker, Arthars, Kelly, Hunt, Ramien, Tupou, Mitchell, Croker, Cotric, O’Neill, Opacic, Hiku, Herbert, Staggs, Shibasaki, Lowe, Gagai, Momirovski, Marsters, Montoya, Hopoate, Chambers, Seve, Aitken, Lafai, Xerri and Morris.

The only biggish names that I can think of that are out are Roberts, Leilua, Scott and Burns. I think as an all round centre Croker is definitely top 3rd on that list. And that’s not even taking kicking into consideration tbh. He’s good in attack imo, one of the best attacking kick chasers in the game versatile enough to shift to the wing mid game without worry and has proven in the past his defense can be a lot better than it is now. 11th year of first grade next season means a pretty heavy salary cap percentage discounted (can’t find this information anywhere though right now). Now if this has changed or been cut dramatically it changes things a bit, but this just isn’t even a question atm.
He also doesn't sell his winger over the sideline... this used to be called "being a hog". I call it "Not stuffing up".
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: June 2, 2019, 1:43 pm Lots of people once again throwing up the warm and fuzzies as reasons to keep Croker on.

How about actual objective footballing reasons? Instead of the Dennis Denuto “vibe”.

There should at least be a conversation as to whether, after 10 years of FG, he is the answer at left centre FROM A FOOTBALLING PERSPECTIVE. Not as a captain/goalkicker/good bloke/local junior. But as a tackle misser, try bomber, wet lettuce runner.

If we can get someone to do the job better (and cheaper) - and I’ve got absolutely no doubt we can - then why wouldn’t we at least consider moving his mediocre talents along in the interests of improving overall and winning a premiership??
I’m 100% on board with you! He needs to go!
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Man I can't wait to see who we witch hunt next.... so exciting

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’m surprised at the amount of people who continue to give him a free pass for defending like Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube Man.

Surely a local car dealership can pick up the rest of his contract and put him to good use?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The ole WWIAFTM..

They're awesome, I'd like one in my front yard...

There's one outside a local pie shop, I might go put a Raiders jersey on it !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: June 3, 2019, 6:50 am I’m surprised at the amount of people who continue to give him a free pass for defending like Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube Man.

Surely a local car dealership can pick up the rest of his contract and put him to good use?
You’re not seeing the whole picture though Rick - sure he can’t tackle and offfers little in attack, but apparently he tries really hard and we value that. Also he spends a good 45 minutes talking with fans and kissing babies post game. Look I agree we won’t ever win a premiership with him in the side but it’s Crokes mate - just enjoy his quest for personal milestones and be happy that on a good day he’s probably not worse than the sixth best other centre that once played Origin.....
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

-PJ- wrote: June 3, 2019, 6:56 am The ole WWIAFTM..

They're awesome, I'd like one in my front yard...

There's one outside a local pie shop, I might go put a Raiders jersey on it !!
For authenticity, make sure it has a number 3 on the back PJ!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

thedevilingreen wrote: June 3, 2019, 5:09 am Man I can't wait to see who we witch hunt next.... so exciting
Should hold a sweepstakes.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Northern Raider wrote:
thedevilingreen wrote: June 3, 2019, 5:09 am Man I can't wait to see who we witch hunt next.... so exciting
That's a great idea. Personally I'd like too see a sack a George Williams post get the ball rolling early

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

thedevilingreen wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
That's a great idea. Personally I'd like too see a sack a George Williams post get the ball rolling early

Sack hodgo

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 2, 2019, 11:49 pm
julian87 wrote: June 2, 2019, 8:30 pm I really think you guys are absolutely nuts.

The centers in the NRL last week were: Jennings, Hoffman, Whare, Blake, Walker, Parker, Arthars, Kelly, Hunt, Ramien, Tupou, Mitchell, Croker, Cotric, O’Neill, Opacic, Hiku, Herbert, Staggs, Shibasaki, Lowe, Gagai, Momirovski, Marsters, Montoya, Hopoate, Chambers, Seve, Aitken, Lafai, Xerri and Morris.

The only biggish names that I can think of that are out are Roberts, Leilua, Scott and Burns. I think as an all round centre Croker is definitely top 3rd on that list. And that’s not even taking kicking into consideration tbh. He’s good in attack imo, one of the best attacking kick chasers in the game versatile enough to shift to the wing mid game without worry and has proven in the past his defense can be a lot better than it is now. 11th year of first grade next season means a pretty heavy salary cap percentage discounted (can’t find this information anywhere though right now). Now if this has changed or been cut dramatically it changes things a bit, but this just isn’t even a question atm.
He also doesn't sell his winger over the sideline... this used to be called "being a hog". I call it "Not stuffing up".
I always get a laugh out of the people who claim "Croker doesn't pass!" when a) he often does, and he's set up his winger many, many times doing that, whoever it is and b) a lot of the time if he did pass, the winger would be put over the sideline. Like, give him some credit for having spatial awareness, guys.

Yes, he hasn't been defending all that well this year - but in recent years this has been the anomaly, not the norm. His defence is still miles better now than it was five years ago, and he's no worse than many other centres.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

That first try was the worst defensive read I have seen from us this year.

I thought that would be gone with austin.

To me that sort of defending comes from a bloke who is second guessing his own ability and lacking trust in those around him. Honestly that was so so disappointing.

That said, he did make the strip that said up the penalty to win the match.

I am just hoping croker turns it around because we need a fit and firing croker now desperately.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Croker a strong runner of the ball? I think I’ve heard it all.

It’s an obvious tactic for him to take minimal hittups because of a complete lack of effectiveness.

A lot depends on how BJ recovers. Assuming all goes well....

If we are fair dinkum about winning a comp, we’re not overlooking the fact that Cotric is destined to become an elite Centre and to hold him back for the sake of Jarrod Croker is just nonsense.

Croker could become a reasonable winger. Needs a bit more size, but he’s always looked decent in the air. He reads the game more than well enough. On The odd occasion where he has filled in on the wing, he has looked good.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: June 3, 2019, 10:06 am Croker a strong runner of the ball? I think I’ve heard it all.

It’s an obvious tactic for him to take minimal hittups because of a complete lack of effectiveness.

A lot depends on how BJ recovers. Assuming all goes well....

If we are fair dinkum about winning a comp, we’re not overlooking the fact that Cotric is destined to become an elite Centre and to hold him back for the sake of Jarrod Croker is just nonsense.

Croker could become a reasonable winger. Needs a bit more size, but he’s always looked decent in the air. He reads the game more than well enough. On The odd occasion where he has filled in on the wing, he has looked good.
Absolutely agree - although we aren’t short a quality winger or two at the moment. I suspect we have too much of our salary cap tied up in centres and wingers. Sort that out, get a quality half like Burgess, move Croker on and clear space in the trophy cabinet I say!
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Yeah the Sharks won a comp with Ricky Leutele in the centres but we can't win 1 with Crokes in the centres. This is hilarious.
Last edited by Hazza on June 3, 2019, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Hazza wrote: June 3, 2019, 10:39 am Yeah the Sharks won a comp with Ricky Leutele in the centres but we can't we 1 with Crokes in the centres. This is hilarious.
I dont think leutele was on near the anount croker is.
Croker plays centre until bj returns. Then we have a rational discussion on the best way to move forward for the team in regards to where we want our money tied up.
Dont delete this GE
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

simo wrote: June 3, 2019, 10:43 am
Hazza wrote: June 3, 2019, 10:39 am Yeah the Sharks won a comp with Ricky Leutele in the centres but we can't we 1 with Crokes in the centres. This is hilarious.
Croker plays centre until bj returns. Then we have a rational discussion on the best way to move forward for the team in regards to where we want our money tied up.
That's fair enough. Insinuating he's the 1 preventing us winning a comp is laughable though. We aren't winning anything until we have an adequate halfback.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Hazza wrote: June 3, 2019, 10:51 am
That's fair enough. Insinuating he's the 1 preventing us winning a comp is laughable though. We aren't winning anything until we have an adequate halfback.
If money tied up in him prevents us from being able to get an upgrade im the halves then maybe he is stopping us.
I think we will have 2 better options at centre next year. I think that despite croker having a game that could suit wing, the gap in quality in that position between he, simonson or oldfield would not justify his pay packet and therefore should be addressed
Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Salary cap decisions this club makes always tend to bite me in the ass. But for some reason I doubt Croker is on some **** outrageously huge contract dollar wise.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: June 3, 2019, 11:00 am
If money tied up in him prevents us from being able to get an upgrade im the halves then maybe he is stopping us.
I think we will have 2 better options at centre next year. I think that despite croker having a game that could suit wing, the gap in quality in that position between he, simonson or oldfield would not justify his pay packet and therefore should be addressed
Do you really believe it's Croker's cap burden preventing us from recruiting a quality half?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

julian87 wrote: June 3, 2019, 11:11 am Salary cap decisions this club makes always tend to bite me in the ass. But for some reason I doubt Croker is on some **** outrageously huge contract dollar wise.
His contract needs to be put into current perspective though. Hes now potentially our 3rd best centre. We have a clearly superior player at right wing.
Our options at left wing would be croker, simonson and oldfield. I could be swayed either way on who to run with there but im probably leaning towards simonson. Thats even before you start putting contract dollars next to their names.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2019, 11:21 am
simo wrote: June 3, 2019, 11:00 am
Do you really believe it's Croker's cap burden preventing us from recruiting a quality half?
No, i think their are very few quality halves out there, but id rather have salary cap spare ready to go then have it tied up in what could be our 3rd string center/ chance at wing spot
Dont delete this GE
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Hazza wrote:
Sorry please move this comment to the "sack" which ever halfback played this week thread please.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hazza wrote: June 3, 2019, 10:39 am Yeah the Sharks won a comp with Ricky Leutele in the centres but we can't win 1 with Crokes in the centres. This is hilarious.
I love how the Croker fans always justify his selection in the team by searching high low to try to find someone worse than him!

We drop the bar so low - we don’t want a good centre just a nice guy that can sometimes defend better than James Roberts or maybe isn’t as poor as Ricky Leutele.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: June 3, 2019, 11:40 am
Hazza wrote: June 3, 2019, 10:39 am Yeah the Sharks won a comp with Ricky Leutele in the centres but we can't win 1 with Crokes in the centres. This is hilarious.
I love how the Croker fans always justify his selection in the team by searching high low to try to find someone worse than him!

We drop the bar so low - we don’t want a good centre just a nice guy that can sometimes defend better than James Roberts or maybe isn’t as poor as Ricky Leutele.
Ricky Leutele is not the most dynamic player to ever play, but he was part of the reason why the Sharks won that premiership. He did his job to a first grade standard, and in line with what they were paying him. I certainly don’t recall him regularly flying out of the line to gift easy tries to the opposition.

Why wouldn’t you be trying to save as much money as possible on the least impactful position, to spend elsewhere on match-winners in the spine or forwards?
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Where did I state I'm a Croker fan?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: June 3, 2019, 11:56 am

Ricky Leutele is not the most dynamic player to ever play, but he was part of the reason why the Sharks won that premiership. He did his job to a first grade standard, and in line with what they were paying him. I certainly don’t recall him regularly flying out of the line to gift easy tries to the opposition.

Why wouldn’t you be trying to save as much money as possible on the least impactful position, to spend elsewhere on match-winners in the spine or forwards?
Because it’s Crokes and we all love Crokes! He tries really hard and it isn’t his fault the other kids are bigger and better.

The clock is ticking on him - we will have two good centres paid a proper market value soon enough Rick!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Croker is easily one of the better centres in the competition. Other players even think so, as per the NRL.com player poll. Sure Mitchell was way out in front, but Croker polled second. His form has been well down for two weeks, and his defence has been exposed a couple of times. He's the second all time try scorer for the club, at just 28, and the leading point scorer. I find the whole thread bizarre really. I know it is a small minority of fans pushing a view... but really! Form is transitory, class permanent, and he is a classy player, with lots of good years and games in front of him.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:Croker is easily one of the better centres in the competition. Other players even think so, as per the NRL.com player poll. Sure Mitchell was way out in front, but Croker polled second. His form has been well down for two weeks, and his defence has been exposed a couple of times. He's the second all time try scorer for the club, at just 28, and the leading point scorer. I find the whole thread bizarre really. I know it is a small minority of fans pushing a view... but really! Form is transitory, class permanent, and he is a classy player, with lots of good years and games in front of him.
You really do have green eye’s Greeneyed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Croker is easily one of the better centres in the competition. Other players even think so, as per the NRL.com player poll. Sure Mitchell was way out in front, but Croker polled second. His form has been well down for two weeks, and his defence has been exposed a couple of times. He's the second all time try scorer for the club, at just 28, and the leading point scorer. I find the whole thread bizarre really. I know it is a small minority of fans pushing a view... but really! Form is transitory, class permanent, and he is a classy player, with lots of good years and games in front of him.
Spot on, mate. Well said

This thread really is a stupid thread, populated by stupid cowards
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: June 3, 2019, 1:14 pm
You really do have green eye’s Greeneyed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
He is pointing out is that the rest of rugby league community rates Croker very highly. I don't see how that demonstrates any club bias. Quite the opposite really. Its mainly a select group of Raiders fans believe Croker is a liability.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That post just absolutely eviscerated this thread. RIP

Marrrone.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I know he didnt look good defensively on the weekend - I wonder how much was down to having Tarpine and Sezer pair up with him rather than the usual subjects he has been playing with this year?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Anyone honestly want to look at that list Julian provided and still tell me Croker would end up in the ESL if we turfed him?
Absolute jokers. Croker is better then 80% of that list haha
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: June 3, 2019, 1:31 pm Anyone honestly want to look at that list Julian provided and still tell me Croker would end up in the ESL if we turfed him?
Absolute jokers. Croker is better then 80% of that list haha
Nah, he let a try in on the weekend, m8

And missed a goal from the sideline. He's absolute ****.