Jarrod Croker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by Botman »

What a stunning shock... Croker gets blamed for tries that are not his fault by people who have no idea what they're talking about, they get told they're **** clueless and complaints ensue.
Welcome to the real world where if you dont know what you're talking about, you'll be made aware of it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

EDIT when they continually go out of their way to bag one of my favourite players in the most disrespectful way they can muster over several threads

I’m not even remotely going to apologise for sticking up for Jarrod Croker EDIT
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We're asking everyone to be more respectful. Today, the personal abuse all round was out of control. So, that's the last of the discussion I'm going to have on moderation. Your posts cross the line... discuss the moderation... your post gets deleted.

I'm cranky, so please, respectfully, don't cross me on it.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Come back to this thread in Round 24 when it is Disrespect Forum Members Round in the NRL.

I thought it was a bad miss on Jimmy T on the weekend, the whole line gave him way too much space on the outside and he waltzed through. We have seemed to be a bit in awe of the Roosters in each game this year.

The positives still outweigh the negatives with Croker. He must have played in close to 10 finals matches now and I don't remember his defence ever costing us in a big way.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Come back to this thread in Round 24 when it is Disrespect Forum Members Round in the NRL.

I thought it was a bad miss on Jimmy T on the weekend, the whole line gave him way too much space on the outside and he waltzed through. We have seemed to be a bit in awe of the Roosters in each game this year.

The positives still outweigh the negatives with Croker. He must have played in close to 10 finals matches now and I don't remember his defence ever costing us in a big way.

Only his goal kicking....

Sorry it was right there, I had to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 12, 2019, 9:47 pm Come back to this thread in Round 24 when it is Disrespect Forum Members Round in the NRL.

I really think the biggest problem with that side of the defence right now is Simo being a bit green and not as instinctive defensive as Cotric
Which is no slight, i think Cotric is one of, if not the best defensive winger in the game. He reads the game so exceptionally well, and he just seems to know the right play to stop a try. I think with Cotric out there, we dont conceded that try and Teddy is tackled by Cotric.

We've seen in the last few weeks a few tries that have come from that side of the field not acting as a unit. Wighton making decisions to come in and jam, and then Simo not reading that it's a jam situation and/or not noticing that the inside men have jammed... which just means you hand the opposition a 2 man overlap.

But like last week, they screwed it up early and then got it corrected and didn't concede down there again.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:08 pm
LastRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 7:56 pm
Billy Walker wrote:It’s not like he is defending different players to any other left centre in the comp. He just comes up with more misses than other left centres. I think that remains a genuine concern. We are one of the best defensive units with one of the worst individual defenders. I think there is a clear blueprint for how to attack against us.
Billy it’s not Crokers fault as pointed out by the GH team over the past few weeks, it’s Wighton. Wighton is our worst defender and should be ranked 4th not Croker.

The stats guys just seams to be getting it wrong
Silly me! I should have known it's never Croker! :roflmao
PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:27 pm
-TW- wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:07 pm So Croker holds his man and Tedesco goes through on the inside in the gap Wighton leaves

Suppose that's his fault too? Or Whiteheads cause apparently he's Usain Bolt in a 110kg body who can cover that gap

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
If Croker holds his spot, he's got Tedesco, it wont be tedesco who breaks the line... it'd be mitch aubusson... and it'll be Tedesco who scores under the sticks when Aubo draws and passes.
And they'll blame Croker for that, and in that instance they'd be right

You wait, once Cotric gets back on that wing i bet we see less of this being an issue, because Cotric is one of the best jamming wingers in the game. Simo is being caught a bit. If that's Cotric on the wing. I bet the ball movement dies with Teddy being swallowed by Cotric... or he makes that **** falling down outragous one motion pass to his winger like he did for the Topou try and we get **** either way... :lol:
But that's what you want, you want to force teddy to make that play and sometimes great players do it

Right back at the start you mentioned defending as a unit.
These 2 posts above 100% explains how the unit broke down, and even give you an alternative, but the stat goes against Croker as the man who missed Teddy.
I tried to point out edge defenders get credited with these stats above, with only 4 forwards is 66 players.
I've written how teams attack and where the points came from.
You still believe its 100% Croker's fault.
Mate your mind is made up.
Interesting though, that there are so many that disagree.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Trolls gonna troll, Matty. Facts don't matter
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:42 am Trolls gonna troll, Matty. Facts don't matter
Amen brother
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Matt wrote:
The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:42 am Trolls gonna troll, Matty. Facts don't matter
Amen brother
If facts matter than Crokers try causes stats must hold at 17 and 4th in the league
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The worst part of that try was the fact that James Tedesco was burning Croker on his outside and not his inside. That’s not just Jarrod Croker’s fault that we were in that position, half our team were involved in that.

Croker wasn’t good enough to stop it, he probably over committed and you could argue that he didn’t have his positioning quite right. But given how good Tedesco is, again it’s not worth blasting Croker over.

It is what is it is, Croker is a par-solid player in both defence and attack. He doesn’t lack effort, he busts his **** and is a very respectable clubman.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:31 am The worst part of that try was the fact that James Tedesco was burning Croker on his outside and not his inside. That’s not just Jarrod Croker’s fault that we were in that position, half our team were involved in that.

Croker wasn’t good enough to stop it, he probably over committed and you could argue that he didn’t have his positioning quite right. But given how good Tedesco is, again it’s not worth blasting Croker over.

It is what is it is, Croker is a par-solid player in both defence and attack. He doesn’t lack effort, he busts his **** and is a very respectable clubman.
Par-solid in attack?? That'll deadset do me.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:33 am
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:31 am The worst part of that try was the fact that James Tedesco was burning Croker on his outside and not his inside. That’s not just Jarrod Croker’s fault that we were in that position, half our team were involved in that.

Do you want me to the produce the stats or do want to just admit you were done long ago?

Actually even if I provide the stats, you'll *check notes* dismiss them as fake news.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Do you want me to the produce the stats or do want to just admit you were done long ago?

Actually even if I provide the stats, you'll *check notes* dismiss them as fake news.
All I know is if you told me the sky was blue I'd go outside and check.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:11 am
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:49 am

You've used that one before... it contributed nothing then and it contributes nothing now.

I honestly reckon you're the biggest troll on this forum. There's not a single other poster I can recognise who dumps in every thread, constantly leaving behind the addition of negative value.

Do less.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:19 am
The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:11 am
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:49 am Do you want me to the produce the stats or do want to just admit you were done long ago?

You've used that one before... it contributed nothing then and it contributes nothing now.

I honestly reckon you're the biggest troll on this forum. There's not a single other poster I can recognise who dumps in every thread, constantly leaving behind the addition of negative value.

Do less.
AH well, like I said previously, if the likes of you thinks I'm the biggest troll, then I'm clearly not.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

Stats are like matches ... dangerous in the wrong hands and can tell any story you want them to. Love Jarrod Croker. Great person, great clubman, great attacking player and a good tackler. One of worst defensive centres in modern RL and anyone who thinks otherwise knows literally nothing about RL defensive structures and I still can’t believe that it hasn’t been addressed by any of the coaching staffs here in the last 10 years. Every weekend I want to kick my tv watching him make the same mistakes every single time teams shift at raiders left edge. Passive and negative is easiest way to describe it and puts pressure on everyone in the line. Storm and Roosters can literally pick whether they score their points at JC or strip numbers and get momentum at him to score on other edge because of the way he defends.
Even when Wighton made a defensive mistake on weekend he didn’t react the way every 2man player is taught to defend from u13s by jamming.
Jarrods defence is literally going to cost raiders a premiership this year. Hope I’m wrong bet ya I’m not
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

samvucago wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:41 am Stats are like matches ... dangerous in the wrong hands and can tell any story you want them to. Love Jarrod Croker. Great person, great clubman, great attacking player and a good tackler. One of worst defensive centres in modern RL and anyone who thinks otherwise knows literally nothing about RL defensive structures and I still can’t believe that it hasn’t been addressed by any of the coaching staffs here in the last 10 years. Every weekend I want to kick my tv watching him make the same mistakes every single time teams shift at raiders left edge. Passive and negative is easiest way to describe it and puts pressure on everyone in the line. Storm and Roosters can literally pick whether they score their points at JC or strip numbers and get momentum at him to score on other edge because of the way he defends.
Even when Wighton made a defensive mistake on weekend he didn’t react the way every 2man player is taught to defend from u13s by jamming.
Jarrods defence is literally going to cost raiders a premiership this year. Hope I’m wrong bet ya I’m not
.....so why did they choose not to do it for the remaining 75 minutes of the game? Surely they could have put the match to bed fairly early if that was the case.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 12:11 pm
samvucago wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:41 am Stats are like matches ... dangerous in the wrong hands and can tell any story you want them to. Love Jarrod Croker. Great person, great clubman, great attacking player and a good tackler. One of worst defensive centres in modern RL and anyone who thinks otherwise knows literally nothing about RL defensive structures and I still can’t believe that it hasn’t been addressed by any of the coaching staffs here in the last 10 years. Every weekend I want to kick my tv watching him make the same mistakes every single time teams shift at raiders left edge. Passive and negative is easiest way to describe it and puts pressure on everyone in the line. Storm and Roosters can literally pick whether they score their points at JC or strip numbers and get momentum at him to score on other edge because of the way he defends.
.....so why did they choose not to do it for the remaining 75 minutes of the game? Surely they could have put the match to bed fairly early if that was the case.
Well apparently they can literally pick and choose, so lucky for us they only literally picked to do it once!
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Geez how many aliases do you have Billy?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 12:13 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 12:11 pm
Well apparently they can literally pick and choose, so lucky for us they only literally picked to do it once!
It has to be said, Bellemy and Robinson, as well as the Storm and Roosters players in general are probably some of the least cut throat guys to ever play sport. So it makes a lot of sense that they would sportingly refuse to run up the score board and instead elect to eek out marginal victories instead of just putting 60 on us.

**** top blokes
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also the opening line was a chefs kiss
Stats are like matches ... dangerous in the wrong hands and can tell any story you want them to.
You heard him, matches are dangerous and can tell any story you want them too... you just need enough of them to write out the story in block letters! :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 12:27 pm Also the opening line was a chefs kiss
Stats are like matches ... dangerous in the wrong hands and can tell any story you want them to.
You heard him, matches are dangerous and can tell any story you want them too... you just need enough of them to write out the story in block letters! :lol:
Hahahahaha that's the **** quote of the year by Billy... errrr, or whatever his name is here.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 12:27 pm Also the opening line was a chefs kiss
He's got a point though. If you want evidence then check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33275
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Attacking averages across 2019 for those who have played 20 or 19 games and appeared in the centres.

Excluding the likes of Aubusson, Capewell, Garrick, Smith and Lowe (all natives of other positions).

Removing Total Points (obvious bias), kicks and kick metres... JC ranks right in the middle. Very fair to describe that as par-solid.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Good **** grief, I really don't understand the proclivity of certain posters around these parts to feel the need to constantly sink the boot into our captain at every opportunity, but it's really disgraceful stuff.

I understand they really are in the minority as far as Raiders' fans go, but gee whiz, they can be a vocal minority at times, can't they??

Congrats again on 250 games, Crokes. Here's to another 250 and more records tumbling to one of the true gentlemen and legends of our team!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Bad luck... critiquing and analysing players and the game is the point of a Rugby League forum. If you don't want to contribute something useful to that part of the discussion, then leave it to others instead of whinging about it and calling people ****s.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 12:46 pm Bad luck... critiquing and analysing players and the game is the point of a Rugby League forum. If you don't want to contribute something useful to that part of the discussion, then leave it to others instead of whinging about it and calling people ****s.
If people are going to constantly bag the captain of the rugby league team I support on the forum dedicated to being a fan of said rugby league team, and quite usually the criticism is well above and beyond what is deserved, then I'm going to call them out on how their opinions EDIT.

If you don't like that, perhaps lay off the constant over the top criticism of some of our best players.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Can you come up with some reasoning, examples, stats ... anything of evidence to support any position you have? Or are you just constantly running on gut feel and emotion?

I think the criticisms are at times over-the-top and unfair, in fact the most recent 2 games when Croker's defence has come into question, I've given reasoning as to why he doesn't deserve to be sent to the glue factory for them.

The last thing we want is people not sharing their ideas or thoughts because someone (i.e. you) is abusing people on here. There's a better way to go about it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Jarrod Croker

Post by The Nickman »

How about the fact this “average” centre you’re banging on about just made team of the week?

Surely... and I know this might seem a little complicated for you to comprehend, but SURELY you have to be a little bit above average to make team of the week?
Last edited by The Nickman on August 13, 2019, 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 1:05 pm Can you come up with some reasoning, examples, stats ... anything of evidence to support any position you have? Or are you just constantly running on gut feel and emotion?

I think the criticisms are at times over-the-top and unfair, in fact the most recent 2 games when Croker's defence has come into question, I've given reasoning as to why he doesn't deserve to be sent to the glue factory for them.

The last thing we want is people not sharing their ideas or thoughts because someone (i.e. you) is abusing people on here. There's a better way to go about it.
I had a look at the table and not actually sure which statistics you're using as positional benchmarks. If you want some form of independent analysis then a sample size of 33,000+ NRL fans is fairly reasonable. The poll just conducted on NRL.com has Croker rated 2nd best centre by a fairly clear margin with 20% of the vote. Mitchell (31%) 1st, Xerri (11%) 3rd, Staggs (6%) 4th. Even you can admit that has him well above "par-solid".
Last edited by Northern Raider on August 13, 2019, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 1:15 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 1:05 pm Can you come up with some reasoning, examples, stats ... anything of evidence to support any position you have? Or are you just constantly running on gut feel and emotion?

I had a look at the table and not actually sure which statistics you're using as positional benchmarks. If you want some form of independent analysis then a sample size of 33,000+ NRL fans is fairly reasonable. The poll just conducted on NRL.com has Croker rated 2nd best centre by a fairly clear margin with 20% of the vote. Mitchell (31%) 1st, Xerri (11%) 3rd, Staggs (6%) 4th. Even you can admit that has him well above "par-solid".
All of those stats, minus the ones I mentioned that I excluded.

We all know that the NRL has a shortage of World Class centres. The origin teams are a perfect example of that.

I don't think I'm underselling him at all, he's a consistent first grader and a good clubman. He'd get a starting run in most NRL teams, closer to all. I'd pick him above a lot of centres in the comp. But that's not mutually exclusive of being what I describe a par-solid footballer.

And that poll wouldn't have been promoted via Facebook, would it?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

This is getting way too heated, with too many ad hominem comments.

GE has already stated one warning.

Thread locked until further notice.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So now you’re trying to discredit the results of the poll rather than acknowledge that our captain might actually be a better player than you’re giving him credit for?

Typical
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Topic is now unlocked .

Please follow the GH guidelines, and respect your fellow posters.