The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2019, 2:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2019, 2:37 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 31, 2019, 2:10 pm
Drandyt wrote: July 31, 2019, 12:41 pm perhaps the NSW origin coach had an opinion about this defensive effort of Croker?

Spoiler alert -> it wasn't glowing....
The NSW origin coach also complained that the Panthers lost, and picked Cleary for Origin. I'm not sure he's entirely the best judge.
Yeah - especially after NSW lost the series.... oh hang on.
Haha, Freddy and Kevvie are two of the biggest gibberers in rugby league. I guess one of them had win the series. ;)
Well, considering Freddie didn't even want James Maloney and only injury to Mitchell Pearce ended up with him accidentally stuck with the guy who essentially won them the series, I wouldn't be hanging my hat on Freddie's selection policies.

But, for whatever reason, this is a hill that billyt seems DETERMINED to die on, so who are we to even bother arguing anymore??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

billyt?? I mean Billy Walker... haha what WAS I thinking??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:04 pm billyt?? I mean Billy Walker... haha what WAS I thinking??
Bring back tubz
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:16 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:04 pm billyt?? I mean Billy Walker... haha what WAS I thinking??
Bring back tubz
Oh... I think you'll find he's around here somewhere ;)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:17 pm
Bring back tubz
Surely not. Next thing you'll be telling me dubby still posts on here.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:19 pm
Bring back tubz
Apparently that name is not allowed to be mentioned on here. GE will delete it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: July 31, 2019, 4:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:19 pm
Bring back tubz
Apparently that name is not allowed to be mentioned on here. GE will delete it.
That's not correct.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

raiderskater wrote:
Drandyt wrote: July 31, 2019, 12:41 pm perhaps the NSW origin coach had an opinion about this defensive effort of Croker?

Spoiler alert -> it wasn't glowing....
The NSW origin coach also complained that the Panthers lost, and picked Cleary for Origin. I'm not sure he's entirely the best judge.
The same guy who was pissing and moaning about Mansour being tackled in the air then mysteriously lost his microphone when Simonson was actually tackled in the air.

I honestly don't understand his 'soft spot' for the club he ditched for more money.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

Not Croker bashing, just saying he has defensive issues. If this was a one off well hay, let's blame the inside men - definitely a factor. But it is not a one off, Croker just about always turns in close to the line - independent of what the attack does.

That being said, he makes up for it in other facets of his game - on the weekend he got a man sent to the bin with a clever line run, took a short drop out, did a strip - so a pretty even/good showing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Drandyt wrote: July 31, 2019, 5:50 pm Not Croker bashing, just saying he has defensive issues. If this was a one off well hay, let's blame the inside men - definitely a factor. But it is not a one off, Croker just about always turns in close to the line - independent of what the attack does.

That being said, he makes up for it in other facets of his game - on the weekend he got a man sent to the bin with a clever line run, took a short drop out, did a strip - so a pretty even/good showing.
Croker's defensive issues have been overstated, particularly in this thread. He used to be poor. Improved to adequate. He's now better again but it's one of his lesser attributes. As you said, makes up for it in other areas.

In regard to Fittler using it as a reason for non-selection in Origin. He went with James Roberts in a series win last year. Showed that you don't need a "contain and survive" approach to win a series. Thing is if Croker did get picked for Origin this year at least he would have tried. Unlike somebody who was picked. :)
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Drandyt wrote: July 31, 2019, 5:50 pm Not Croker bashing, just saying he has defensive issues. If this was a one off well hay, let's blame the inside men - definitely a factor. But it is not a one off, Croker just about always turns in close to the line - independent of what the attack does.

That try in the first 4 min was Hodgo’s fault. He raced so far out and left that he ran past Whitehead and in doing so effectively shortened the defensive line. They all needed to move up and slide and there wouldn’t have been an overlap.
IMO the only super poor D that is memorable to me of Toota’s was when he kept getting a bath by that nugget warriors centre whose name escapes me. Sure he may have made other bad reads/tackles etc but I don’t recall him being frequently skinned at least not for a long time.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

GE can we lock this thread? :D We love our Toots 2.0. I'll buy you a Cherry Ripe. You strike me as a Cherry Ripe man or maybe a Chikito...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A bag of Violet Crumbles?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The new violet crumbles suck

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nothing beats a frozen Violet Crumble.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can’t say I’ve frozen one...

Not bad on ice cream though
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: July 31, 2019, 10:30 pm The new violet crumbles suck

There's new ones? :woot:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Can't tackle
Can't pass
Can't kick
**** captain

Love him.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Finite wrote: July 31, 2019, 9:39 pm GE can we lock this thread? :D We love our Toots 2.0. I'll buy you a Cherry Ripe. You strike me as a Cherry Ripe man or maybe a Chikito...
Ridiculous. Locking this thread would be typical of the happy-clapping, untouchable, shooting Bambi context of any discussion about Croker on here.

The guy has had a few decent games lately. No arguments from me on that. But it’s such an obvious case of recency bias - “oh look, he’s not done the bad thing he’s known for, and he’s done a couple of good things, so let’s forget about it totally”.

It doesn’t mean that his critics (and there are more than a few) have suddenly forgotten about his obvious defensive flaw. Obvious, as in ten years of seeing the same thing. One thing that is certain, the flailing arm-air tackle will resurface again. And when it does, the discussion will resurface with it.

But at the end of the day - people on here are just venting their thoughts on a topic. The opportunity to do that shouldn’t be “locked”. The fanbois are going to point out all the things they think are important, the negos are pointing out the things they think are important. We aren’t going to agree, or convince the other side of our argument.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2019, 10:19 pm A bag of Violet Crumbles?
I’m not made of money :D
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: August 1, 2019, 9:07 am
Finite wrote: July 31, 2019, 9:39 pm GE can we lock this thread? :D We love our Toots 2.0. I'll buy you a Cherry Ripe. You strike me as a Cherry Ripe man or maybe a Chikito...
Ridiculous. Locking this thread would be typical of the happy-clapping, untouchable, shooting Bambi context of any discussion about Croker on here.

The guy has had a few decent games lately. No arguments from me on that. But it’s such an obvious case of recency bias - “oh look, he’s not done the bad thing he’s known for, and he’s done a couple of good things, so let’s forget about it totally”.

It doesn’t mean that his critics (and there are more than a few) have suddenly forgotten about his obvious defensive flaw. Obvious, as in ten years of seeing the same thing. One thing that is certain, the flailing arm-air tackle will resurface again. And when it does, the discussion will resurface with it.

But at the end of the day - people on here are just venting their thoughts on a topic. The opportunity to do that shouldn’t be “locked”. The fanbois are going to point out all the things they think are important, the negos are pointing out the things they think are important. We aren’t going to agree, or convince the other side of our argument.
A few decent games... :roflmao
For centre's he's sitting equal second for line breaks (among some amazingly hyped company- Mitchell, Fergo...) and try assists (but he can't set up his winger? Or has he actually improved that?).

And is about middle for most defensive stats. Tackle efficiency about the same as Latrell, Ramien, Morris. Line break cause- about middle of the pack. His worst would be try cause- where he is 13th on average per game. About the same % as guys like Garrick, Dugan, Ramien, Mbye, Waqa Blake. Plenty of room for improvement but same as some "top" and origin considered centres.

But he's also a key part of one of the best defensive teams in the comp and on an edge other sides have stopped attacking now because they don't get the rewards, done so with a rookie outside him + a blockbuster hitter inside him who is still adjusting to front line defensive patterns...

So we have one of the best attacking centres in the comp (somewhere in the top 5 easily), who is at least an average defensive centre. That's a good player. Objectively, that's what Joey provides too, just in a very different style, which actually gives our attack a nice balance of silky smooth + a great kick target and barging bullocks with a great offload.

Yeah I guess by now he's had a couple of hundred pretty decent games.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The fact that you're referring to his form as "a few decent games" shows EXACTLY where the biases lay, pal.

Mates of mine who aren't Raiders fans continually say to me "gee that Jarrod Croker's a good player", it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that our own fans seem to want to ignore all logic so that they can dispute that.

**** cowards the lot of ya.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I watched the game on Sunday at the pub, and there were a bunch of Penrith supporters making jokes about him.

They were calling him Vladimir, because he’s always Russian out of this line in defence.

They reckon he went to his high school formal alone because he couldn’t decide who to take.

It was all pretty ugly stuff. I did my best to cheer for him but yeah when he let that first try in I was really struggling defend him. I think they picked up on it as well because more I struggled to defend the more they started called me Jarrod. It was tough going for me. Ugly scenes!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:I watched the game on Sunday at the pub, and there were a bunch of Penrith supporters making jokes about him.

They were calling him Vladimir, because he’s always Russian out of this line in defence.

They reckon he went to his high school formal alone because he couldn’t decide who to take.

It was all pretty ugly stuff. I did my best to cheer for him but yeah when he let that first try in I was really struggling defend him. I think they picked up on it as well because more I struggled to defend the more they started called me Jarrod. It was tough going for me. Ugly scenes!
Cool story

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Jesse Ramien just became available - last time the Knights discarded a centre we did ok out of it. Just saying......
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Okay now you're taking the absolute piss

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Quality thread this one
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:38 pm Jesse Ramien just became available - last time the Knights discarded a centre we did ok out of it. Just saying......
BILLLLLLLLY! :lol: :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:40 pm Okay now you're taking the absolute piss

No seriously Knights have cut him. He’s 100% available- I’m not pulling your leg, I was excited as well!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:45 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:38 pm Jesse Ramien just became available - last time the Knights discarded a centre we did ok out of it. Just saying......
Don’t go early Piggy we haven’t signed him and other clubs will be circling!!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:47 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:45 pm
Don’t go early Piggy we haven’t signed him and other clubs will be circling!!
**** he'd be a good signing for us. Would really boost the depth behind Kris and Oldy at Mounties.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Things could be a lot worse, imagine if the Raiders had signed Jack Bird on a multi year $1m contract to play centre for your club ooof not to mention off loading your other centre to another club mid year.

lucky the team we both support didn't do that
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: August 1, 2019, 12:54 pm lucky the team we both support didn't do that
:roflmao :roflmao
Billy's going to have spend some time in his net doing some picking i think
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The Rickman wrote:

The fact that you're referring to his form as "a few decent games" shows EXACTLY where the biases lay, pal.

Mates of mine who aren't Raiders fans continually say to me "gee that Jarrod Croker's a good player", it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that our own fans seem to want to ignore all logic so that they can dispute that.

**** cowards the lot of ya.
Yeah but mates and other club watchers think we were crazy letting go of Blake Austin but as we watch every game in more detail we new his flaws and how they affected the team. Mates argument is a moot point