All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:52 am pickman... I would've gone with Pickle Rick
Reckon pickles would have been an easy name to migrate over to the Rickheads.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Rickles actually sounds pretty bloody good, doesn't it??

Such a shame Fergus is too busy to change names anymore.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:21 am Rickles actually sounds pretty bloody good, doesn't it??

Such a shame Fergus is too busy to change names anymore
T_R doesn't even post himself any more. Gets his staff to do it. Also fairly confident they outsource that too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 25, 2019, 11:22 am
The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:21 am Rickles actually sounds pretty bloody good, doesn't it??

Such a shame Fergus is too busy to change names anymore and the majority of the rest of his Admins are incompetent or TR (who is both).
T_R doesn't even post himself any more. Gets his staff to do it. Also fairly confident they outsource that too.
Massive improvement on the quality of his banter though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 25, 2019, 11:36 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 25, 2019, 11:22 am

Such a shame Fergus is too busy to change names anymore and the majority of the rest of his Admins are incompetent or TR (who is both).
Massive improvement on the quality of his banter though.
Well I didn't say it was a bad thing
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Natural consequence of a Mod hiring policy favouring only the best looking and most popular posters.

This banter brought to you by Freelancer.com. Cost effective outsourcing solutions for all posting needs!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: July 25, 2019, 12:36 pm

Natural consequence of a Mod hiring policy favouring only the best looking and most popular posters.

This banter brought to you by Freelancer.com. Cost effective outsourcing solutions for all posting needs!
Best looking AND most popular?? Well that only describes Fergus and Matt!! The rest of you only pass one of the recommended criteria!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

pickles wrote:
reptar wrote:
pickles wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:40 pm
simo wrote: July 23, 2019, 6:21 pm Tuxy is actually EDIT
Im not saying people who want croker gone are correct (i dont want him gone). Im just saying you are allowed to discuss it as an option. Saying you cant or saying its clearly the best option are both incorrect. People who hold views like these areequally as stupid from opposite ends of this spectrum
Amen Simo! We are not all going to always be in agreement on here but we shouldn’t be shouted down for throwing something up for discussion. Happy for people to put up alternative views or ignore the thread completely but I can’t see the value in posting along the lines “this thread is xxx and the people saying it are xxxx”. That adds nothing. When I put my views about Croker I’m not doing it to upset people I’m genuinely interested in hearing others opinions.
Interesting point there! None of your responses to my posts have given the slightest indication you have any interest in my opinion on the matter!
I'm here to hear you, pickman!
Thanks reptar! I really haven’t been around much since the segment fiasco of 2016/2017!
Neither have I, really. It was the great schism of our time.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote: July 25, 2019, 2:51 pm
pickles wrote:
reptar wrote:I'm here to hear you, pickman!
Thanks reptar! I really haven’t been around much since the segment fiasco of 2016/2017!
Neither have I, really. It was the great schism of our time.
The forum really never has been the same since, has it??

Such a shame, such wasted opportunity.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: July 25, 2019, 12:36 pm

Ah ha, I knew it!!! :evil:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I see JC has moved up to 6th place on the NRL try causes for 2019.... or is that a record we aren’t cheering him to get?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Billy Walker wrote: July 30, 2019, 7:49 pm I see JC has moved up to 6th place on the NRL try causes for 2019.... or is that a record we aren’t cheering him to get?
No-one with a modicum of football brain can actually blame him for the first try.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Billy Walker wrote: July 30, 2019, 7:49 pm I see JC has moved up to 6th place on the NRL try causes for 2019.... or is that a record we aren’t cheering him to get?
That’s because he’s a centre who never misses a game. Centres and wings are way over represented in this stat. They make hard decisions when inside men get it wrong. He’s 41st if you average it per game. And that’s equal with 13 others.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

raiderskater wrote:
No-one with a modicum of football brain can actually blame him for the first try.
What planet are you on seriously. If Croker had of held the line they would stopped the try.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: July 31, 2019, 6:05 am
raiderskater wrote:
What planet are you on seriously. If Croker had of held the line they would stopped the try.
No, if he holds his line on Whare, Cleary throws the short ball to Edwards who strolls through untouched between Croker and Wighton, which would be Croker's fault, because his job when Hodgson and Wighton come up, is to come up with them.

The correct defensive read for this once Hodgson comes in, was for Wighton to come in, Croker to come in and Simo to come in and force Nathan Cleary to throw a three man cut out ball and hit his winger. And by coming in Simo has the chance to play the ball in the air if he tries it.

if Simo comes in with the other 3 there is one of few options that happen here:

1. Cleary makes the high degree difficulty pass, past Simo who's running directly to Whare and in the balls trejectory, and the winger scores untouched anyways
2. Cleary passes the ball higher to clear the incoming winger, which delay's their winger getting the ball, and probably opens up enough time for our scramble to rally. Maybe they score anyways but we'd have the numbers there to stop it.
3. Cleary's pass is intercepted, or is thrown into touch, or is thrown forward to try and get the winger on the run... there is just a ton of ways that pass, which again, not many halves can make, goes wrong.

Given Hodgo was on top of him, i dont think he had time at all to kick in behind the players, but that's also an option.

But regardless, the defensive error in that set was Hodgson jamming in hard. Wighton and Croker do their job by jaming in with him. Simo misreads it and gets caught on his own. They jam in intending to make Cleary eat the ball because he knows he cant throw that pass, or throw it and risk a turn over. Simo didnt follow his inside man, which is one of the major risks of jamming, if someone doesnt know it's coming, you create the overlap for the attackers and it's a simple passing drill.

When they do the video session of that, that's exactly what they'll talk about. One in, All in. That's the basic rules of jamming on your line. You have to go with your inside men and force them to make the harder play.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pig right again and it highlights why it's so hard to defend out wide.

Just to expand on the kicking option in this particular situation Simonsson has to hope that the fullback is coming across and able to make a play. You can't be everywhere at once and you just have to follow your structure.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Actually if you watch the replay, you’ll see Croker only had eyes on Edwards. Even after the ball lands with Whare, Croker is still moving forward on Edwards and came up with thin air. It’s a clear misread.

If he was watching the ball, he may have had time to adjust and make a play at Dean Whare.

But yes Simo should’ve followed him in, he was possibly worried about the kick or thrown off by the fact that we had 5 on 5 on that edge and somehow created a try initiated by Hodgson shooting on Clearly.

It’s Hodgson’s fault to begin with, no one was able to clean up, Cleary threw a good ball and its not worth crucifying anyone over.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: July 31, 2019, 10:14 am It’s Hodgson’s fault to begin with, no one was able to clean up, Cleary threw a good ball and its not worth crucifying anyone over.
Totally agree with this.

We play aggressively on our line and for the most part they get it right... sometimes we dont and when we don't, the opposition get a chance to make a play. They did. It happens. They got it corrected and shut that **** down the rest of the game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: July 31, 2019, 10:03 am Pig right again and it highlights why it's so hard to defend out wide.
Just to expand on the kicking option in this particular situation Simonsson has to hope that the fullback is coming across and able to make a play. You can't be everywhere at once and you just have to follow your structure.
Exactly, you trust that with Hodgson in his face, the kick will find feet, or it goes too long/short.. a forced kicking error due to the pressure, if he gets it right, all you can do as a jamming defence is trust that the fullback is where he needs to be to clean it up.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

PigRickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 9:55 am
No, if he holds his line on Whare, Cleary throws the short ball to Edwards who strolls through untouched between Croker and Wighton, which would be Croker's fault, because his job when Hodgson and Wighton come up, is to come up with them.

The correct defensive read for this once Hodgson comes in, was for Wighton to come in, Croker to come in and Simo to come in and force Nathan Cleary to throw a three man cut out ball and hit his winger.
And by coming in Simo has the chance to play the ball in the air if he tries it.

1. Cleary makes the high degree difficulty pass, past Simo who's running directly to Whare and in the balls trejectory, and the winger scores untouched anyways
2. Cleary passes the ball higher to clear the incoming winger, which delay's their winger getting the ball, and probably opens up enough time for our scramble to rally. Maybe they score anyways but we'd have the numbers there to stop it.
3. Cleary's pass is intercepted, or is thrown into touch, or is thrown forward to try and get the winger on the run... there is just a ton of ways that pass, which again, not many halves can make, goes wrong.

Given Hodgo was on top of him, i dont think he had time at all to kick in behind the players, but that's also an option.

But regardless, the defensive error in that set was Hodgson jamming in hard. Wighton and Croker do their job by jaming in with him. Simo misreads it and gets caught on his own. They jam in intending to make Cleary eat the ball because he knows he cant throw that pass, or throw it and risk a turn over. Simo didnt follow his inside man, which is one of the major risks of jamming, if someone doesnt know it's coming, you create the overlap for the attackers and it's a simple passing drill.

When they do the video session of that, that's exactly what they'll talk about. One in, All in. That's the basic rules of jamming on your line. You have to go with your inside men and force them to make the harder play.
To be honest you post a whole bunch of ****, but then every once in a while you put something together of quality, like the above post.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

papabear wrote: July 31, 2019, 11:36 am

The correct defensive read for this once Hodgson comes in, was for Wighton to come in, Croker to come in and Simo to come in and force Nathan Cleary to throw a three man cut out ball and hit his winger.
And by coming in Simo has the chance to play the ball in the air if he tries it.

To be honest you post a whole bunch of ****, but then every once in a while you put something together of quality, like the above post.
I half agree with you Papabear...
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

LastRaider wrote: July 31, 2019, 6:05 am
raiderskater wrote:

The correct defensive read for this once Hodgson comes in, was for Wighton to come in, Croker to come in and Simo to come in and force Nathan Cleary to throw a three man cut out ball and hit his winger. And by coming in Simo has the chance to play the ball in the air if he tries it.

This is spot on and articulates really clearly why Croker has a reputation as a bad defender at all. For edge defenders to do their job the defensive pressure needs to come from the inside out so defenders are free to slide wider. Unless inside defenders are freed up to move wider centres often find themselves in the situation where they either jam in and tries are scored down the wing or they hold their ground and have 2 or 3 attacking players running at them.

For years we had a lazy middle defence that never pushed across and made our edges look pathetic and Croker has borne the brunt of that more than others because he has been there consistently for a long time.

It's no surprise that the best defensive centres in the game play for the teams with the best defensive structures!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote: July 31, 2019, 11:36 am To be honest you post a whole bunch of ****, but then every once in a while you put something together of quality, like the above post.
Thanks... i think
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

perhaps the NSW origin coach had an opinion about this defensive effort of Croker?

Spoiler alert -> it wasn't glowing....
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Drandyt wrote: July 31, 2019, 12:41 pm perhaps the NSW origin coach had an opinion about this defensive effort of Croker?

Yeah but that’s his fault not Crokers! You’re missing the pattern here Drandyt - it’s always someone else’s fault, JC is infallible!

Those times Konrad Hurrell made Croker look like a ineffective speed hump were actually on the raiders strength and conditioning team for not making him stronger and more capable to stop a big kid.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Croker was left marking 2 players. Had a 50/50 call to make (instantly) and got it wrong. That's on him but this situation exists for all players whenever an overlap occurs. Just part of football.

While he made the wrong call on who to take it was the decisions of others that placed him in that position. This is the stupid thing about that Try Cause stat. Tries to lay blame on an individual when it was a failing of the defensive structure by several people. In a team sport it's only occasionally can a try be "caused" by player.

On another note the Panthers had something like 55 tackles in our 20 and threw plenty at our left edge. They only let in that one try all night. That's pretty damn good defense if you ask me.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Where is konrad hurrell now?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 12:40 pm
papabear wrote: July 31, 2019, 11:36 am To be honest you post a whole bunch of ****, but then every once in a while you put something together of quality, like the above post.
Thanks... i think
I think pot just called you black!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2019, 12:52 pm
Drandyt wrote: July 31, 2019, 12:41 pm perhaps the NSW origin coach had an opinion about this defensive effort of Croker?

Yeah but that’s his fault not Crokers! You’re missing the pattern here Drandyt - it’s always someone else’s fault, JC is infallible!

Those times Konrad Hurrell made Croker look like a ineffective speed hump were actually on the raiders strength and conditioning team for not making him stronger and more capable to stop a big kid.
Well if *checks notes* Drandyt is backing you up my whole opinion changes! Drandyt has always been a fine judge of our players and their talent in his other 4 posts before this one.

And honestly, when you look at Billy's reply to Drandhgfuifg's post it makes me wonder why any of you guys even bother engaging the bloke in serious conversation about this. Obvious troll is obvious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 1:28 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2019, 12:52 pm

Well if *checks notes* Drandyt is backing you up my whole opinion changes!

Drandyt has always been a fine judge of our players and their talent in his other 4 posts before this one.
Also a reliable source of knowledge on the inner workings of the NSW Origin selection panel.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 1:27 pm
Thanks... i think
Doesn't mean P-bear is wrong
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 1:27 pm
Thanks... i think
Doesn't mean P-bear is wrong
monkey typewriter etc
Edrick The Entertainer
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The NSW origin coach also complained that the Panthers lost, and picked Cleary for Origin. I'm not sure he's entirely the best judge.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: July 31, 2019, 2:10 pm

The NSW origin coach also complained that the Panthers lost, and picked Cleary for Origin. I'm not sure he's entirely the best judge.
Yeah - especially after NSW lost the series.... oh hang on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2019, 2:37 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 31, 2019, 2:10 pm

Yeah - especially after NSW lost the series.... oh hang on.
Haha, Freddy and Kevvie are two of the biggest gibberers in rugby league. I guess one of them had win the series. ;)