Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by VictorTheViking »

@ this thread and the posts

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Jennings has had a few great games this year no doubt. But there has also been a couple where he didn't bother turning up, literally left himself in the carpark, and subsequently re-introduced himself to the reserve grade coach.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:02 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:57 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:52 pm Dunno, ask Freddie. All I know is he lifted another level when he was picked at centre.
Take a wild guess then. Please take note of the hint I provided.

Another hint. Cotric got picked on the wing, not centre. This is despite NSW needing a right centre to replace James Roberts.
Ok. Cause the bloke’s a gun and proved he could play elite quality football out of position for the last few seasons, before going another level at centre and further proving himself one of the game’s brightest young talents.
What other level?
His best and most dominant games have been as a winger. He certainly flashed at centre and you can see he's got the tools to be a very, very good centre, but he hasnt put in a display that sniffs his best performances as a winger. Haha

This is Wighton all over again. Cotric has DOMINATED games as a winger. He hasnt done that yet as a centre.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jarrod Croker

Post by LastRaider »

gangrenous wrote:
Finchy wrote:We have the second best defence in the league, are in the top four, Croker has scored nearly half our team's total points and is our top try scorer, and has come up with some clutch plays to win a few of our matches this year (be it intercepts, goal kicks, one-on-one strips, etc). He's not as big a problem to this team and our results as some are making out.
Goodness that last sentence jars with that paragraph.

Look guys we’re killing it. He’s a huge reason why we’re killing it... but he’s not our biggest problem right now.

Seriously people. What the ****
The intercept last game was not a clutch play, it was simple luck. 5 games out of 6 last season we lost due to this reason. One player rushing up out of the line to go for a game winner, when the play was for the team to slide together in one line and make the one-on-one tackle
Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:02 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:57 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:52 pm Dunno, ask Freddie. All I know is he lifted another level when he was picked at centre.
Take a wild guess then. Please take note of the hint I provided.

Another hint. Cotric got picked on the wing, not centre. This is despite NSW needing a right centre to replace James Roberts.
Ok. Cause the bloke’s a gun and proved he could play elite quality football out of position for the last few seasons, before going another level at centre and further proving himself one of the game’s brightest young talents.
Ok, so you realise he got picked on the wing for NSW because of how well he's played wing for 2.5 seasons. Not because of 2 games at centre.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:11 pm
gangrenous wrote:
Finchy wrote:We have the second best defence in the league, are in the top four, Croker has scored nearly half our team's total points and is our top try scorer, and has come up with some clutch plays to win a few of our matches this year (be it intercepts, goal kicks, one-on-one strips, etc). He's not as big a problem to this team and our results as some are making out.

Look guys we’re killing it. He’s a huge reason why we’re killing it... but he’s not our biggest problem right now.

The intercept last game was not a clutch play, it was simple luck. 5 games out of 6 last season we lost due to this reason. One player rushing up out of the line to go for a game winner, when the play was for the team to slide together in one line and make the one-on-one tackle
No, you are totally and completely wrong about that play. There was nothing lucky about it. Croker played that as perfectly as you could ask for. I have no **** idea what you were watching but Croker put himself into a position where the Sharks options were:

1. turn the ball back inside into the teeth of our defence, and basically hope they can get another play off before time expires
2. put a kick behind and hope that CNK and Simmsonsen who had a HUGE territory advantage on the chasers dont get there first... hot tip, there is no where a kick could have been placed where we wouldnt not have been easily able to defuse it
3. Throw a speculative pass over Croker's head. You cant throw it flat, because he intercepts it, you have to go high, and by going high it allows Croker the time to turn and rally to the ball and the cover defenders to rally to the ball...

as it turns out, they went flat and croker intercept it. Sorry, but you're just wrong on this, you can play better defence then Croker put out on that play. It's exactly what he should do. It ended the game not because of luck but because he gave them no good options and forced them into a bad one.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jarrod Croker

Post by LastRaider »

PigRickman wrote:
LastRaider wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:11 pm
gangrenous wrote:

No, you are totally and completely wrong about that play. There was nothing lucky about it. Croker played that as perfectly as you could ask for. I have no **** idea what you were watching but Croker put himself into a position where the Sharks options were:

1. turn the ball back inside into the teeth of our defence, and basically hope they can get another play off before time expires
2. put a kick behind and hope that CNK and Simmsonsen who had a HUGE territory advantage on the chasers dont get there first... hot tip, there is no where a kick could have been placed where we wouldnt not have been easily able to defuse it
3. Throw a speculative pass over Croker's head. You cant throw it flat, because he intercepts it, you have to go high, and by going high it allows Croker the time to turn and rally to the ball and the cover defenders to rally to the ball...

as it turns out, they went flat and croker intercept it. Sorry, but you're just wrong on this, you can play better defence then Croker put out on that play. It's exactly what he should do. It ended the game not because of luck but because he gave them no good options and forced them into a bad one.
I completely disagree, did you watch any of the 4 point losses last year? Almost every loss was due to someone breaking out of the defensive line going for that exact play.

He got lucky, last year opp teams were just holding the ball up, waited and past behind the players back

Last edited by LastRaider on June 17, 2019, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im watching the play again right now... he doesnt even rush out of the line BTW.
Jack Wighton comes out hardest, Croker follows him in and at the time Townsend had to make a play, he is turned sideways playing both the pass and kick... this madness

Im convinced you havent seen the play at all.
This is textbook on how a centre should defend in this situation, haha.

Christ.

Wighton and Croker are hard out and aggressive and end the game because they took every good option away from the sharks and left them only with bad ones. It's that simple.
Last edited by Botman on June 17, 2019, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

That's what I thought afterwards too. If anyone rushed out of the line, it was Jack. Croker followed so as not to leave him exposed.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Some people's minds create an alternate reality of what actually occurred.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:26 pm I completely disagree, did you watch any of the 4 point losses last year? Almost every loss was due to someone breaking out of the defensive line going for that exact play.

He got lucky, last year opp teams were just holding the ball up, waited and past behind the players back

I watched every game, the close losses were almost exclusively down to Blake Austin.
There was nothing lucky about the play, go and watch it again. You're not remembering it accurately. You cant be, because what you've described is not what actually happened at all.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What is going on ?

This is ridiculous conversation.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:00 pm

The "problem" I'm referring to is his perceived defensive weaknesses.

ie: any perceived defensive lapses that are leaking points are outweighed by the fact he is scoring tries, kicking goals, taking intercepts, one-on-one strips, milking penalties, etc.

If our team has any issues right now, it isn't Jarrod Croker.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

PigRickman wrote:
LastRaider wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:26 pm I completely disagree, did you watch any of the 4 point losses last year? Almost every loss was due to someone breaking out of the defensive line going for that exact play.

I watched every game, the close losses were almost exclusively down to Blake Austin.
There was nothing lucky about the play, go and watch it again. You're not remembering it accurately. You cant be, because what you've described is not what actually happened at all.
Yeah definitely were Blake, I wasn’t referring to Croker being the problem last year in the losses. It was due to a Raiders player rushing up in defence.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

PigRickman wrote:Im watching the play again right now... he doesnt even rush out of the line BTW.
Jack Wighton comes out hardest, Croker follows him in and at the time Townsend had to make a play, he is turned sideways playing both the pass and kick... this madness

Im convinced you havent seen the play at all.
This is textbook on how a centre should defend in this situation, haha.

Christ.

Wighton and Croker are hard out and aggressive and end the game because they took every good option away from the sharks and left them only with bad ones. It's that simple.
Just watched the replay. If Townsend had of hit Molan instead we would have been in trouble.

Jack does the sprint out of the line and drags Croker with him. We still got lucky

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If he hit's Moylan we have Wighton, Croker, Simmonson and Whitehead rallying to the football, and 2 of the 3 sharks players in front of where Moylan would have received the footy, with Sia, Havilii and it looks like JB lurking on the inside as cover.
That's 7 players! haha.

What in the **** could Moylan have done to worry us?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I think we need some good old screen caps with directional arrows to prove this point. Clearly too may people are seeing different things....
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MOD NOTE: Last Raider... you are putting a huge number of return spaces at the end of your posts... could you ensure you don't please? I'm getting tired of editing them out!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 6:03 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:57 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:37 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:14 pm I can see why NSW has not selected Croker. They have generally gone for a different sort of player (big, power runners), and he has had defensive issues at times, but these are seriously overstated. His form just prior to Origin I wasn’t great this year either.

However, to suggest he’s not amongst the best centres in the game, at least not in the top third of the pack... it is ludicrous IMO. There are suggestions here that he shouldn’t even be playing first for the Raiders or he should be ‘let go’. That is simply ridiculous IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GE - just between you and me, if I was given the task of Raiders selector for the next game I would be throwing the number 3 jumper to J Croker and leaving the (c) beside his name and giving him the kicking tee. He is the best option we have available for selection at the moment and he isn’t horribly out of form.

I’ve probably been a bit antagonist on the whole issue but it just irks me that JC has somehow reached a status where his position is beyond questioning.

I do get that he has been great for the club for a long time and maybe clubs need a core of supporters blindly devoted to their players but there needs to be some level of objectivity about the whole debate.

I’ve probably said more than enough on the whole debate today but I won’t apologise for questioning the form or selection of any player where warranted and I’m not alone in asking questions about whether Croker is the long term option. It’s the reaction of being shouted down for even mentioning the thought that makes me go harder at the issue than possibly warranted.

Anyway - it’s all good fun and promise I won’t be disappointed if he does end up holding the premiership trophy aloft this year (unless it because we traded him before the cutoff - that would be awkward!)
Woah billy! Don’t back down now, you big coward

Go through the list and tell me the names.
Piggy I read the back n forth spats you have with others on here and I hate to break it to you but they are really tedious. I’m not saying you’re arguments are boring.... but ... well they are.

I’ve got a few things to do, but you keep posting and I promise if I’m having trouble sleeping tonight I’ll come back and catch up on your posts 😉
A simple
“Yeah, you were right, I kind of **** up here” would have sufficed
Piggy I promised I’d come back if I couldn’t sleep and I do seem to be suffering severe insomnia tonight- I’ve read all your very many replies and 😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's some quality banter..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:MOD NOTE: Last Raider... you are putting a huge number of return spaces at the end of your posts... could you ensure you don't please? I'm getting tired of editing them out!
Sorry GE, new phone. I’ll check it out

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

LastRaider wrote: June 17, 2019, 10:04 pm
greeneyed wrote:MOD NOTE: Last Raider... you are putting a huge number of return spaces at the end of your posts... could you ensure you don't please? I'm getting tired of editing them out!
Sorry GE, new phone. I’ll check it out

Huawei? They are spending billions to eliminate Croker criticism on the net :roflmao
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 1:35 pm NR - people like to laud Croker’s indivudual records and what he does for the club. He has been playing 1st grade since 2009 and has been captain for most that time. He has a win record of slightly over 47%.

Over 10 years when the raiders have run out with him in the team usually as skipper we have lost more often than we have won but somehow he is a sacred cow who’s selection should never be questioned.

47% career win record - wake up people!!
.... Yeah because a team win record is the measure of a great player... You're aware their are **** immortals with lower win rates than that right? Amazing players can still end up in **** teams. And anyone who doesn't think the Raiders haven't qualified as a "**** team" a few times in the last decade obviously has their head up their **** more than Billy Walker has a hard on for hating Croker...
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Also, obviously not everyone agrees with some of the "creative thinkers" here:

New snub cements Jarrod Croker's title as unluckiest player in NSW Origin history: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jarrod-cro ... ZhjerSuttw
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Are we actually arguing that Michael Jennings is still a better centre than Jarrod Croker. **** me I have no idea what games some people are watching. Jennings has been trash way more than treasure the past few seasons.

And Will Chambers...OK, very solid centre in a very well drilled team...but Croker has dead set owned that bloke just about every time they play. Chambers doesn't worry him in the slightest. When we play the Storm it's never Will Chambers we have to worry about.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

In all honesty, the NRL centre who would give Croker the most grief is BJ Leilua. Ricky Stuart sorted that problem out a while ago.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 17, 2019, 11:33 pm In all honesty, the NRL centre who would give Croker the most grief is BJ Leilua. Ricky Stuart sorted that problem out a while ago.
Master-stroke.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The thing with centres is that you can't just compare them to people that currently only play centre in FG. You're up against fullbacks, wingers, five-eighths, and a lot of those guys are also better than Croker. I think Wighton has barely played left centre at first grade level but in a blow by blow comparison between him and Croker, you cannot argue that Jack doesn't come out comfortably.

Croker is in a band of players that includes the likes of Hazem El Masri, Nathan Merritt, Luke Burt. He's a very good, highly experienced club footballer and model professional. He doesn't have that extra level or the right attributes to play Origin, hence why he doesn't get picked - which is ok. To start at 18 and play 250+ games is an extraordinary achievement itself in the scheme of professional RL, regardless of the position. Add to that his goalkicking and the way his points tally is tracking, he will go down as having a fine career with or without rep football.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

LOUD NOISES
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Seiffert82 wrote: June 17, 2019, 11:28 pm Are we actually arguing that Michael Jennings is still a better centre than Jarrod Croker. **** me I have no idea what games some people are watching. Jennings has been trash way more than treasure the past few seasons.

And Will Chambers...OK, very solid centre in a very well drilled team...but Croker has dead set owned that bloke just about every time they play. Chambers doesn't worry him in the slightest. When we play the Storm it's never Will Chambers we have to worry about.
We have won 1 of our last 8 against the Storm. I think "owned" is well and truly an exaggeration.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

^Yeah, but that's not because Chambers is owning Croker, it's because the Storm are owning everyone else. And because Referee Smith is on the field.

Don't remind me of the injustice that is walking turnstile Michael Jennings playing Origin while Croker doesn't get a run "because of his defence". If ever there was a selection that proved defence isn't a consideration, Jennings is it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

raiderskater wrote: June 18, 2019, 7:33 am ^Yeah, but that's not because Chambers is owning Croker, it's because the Storm are owning everyone else. And because Referee Smith is on the field.

Don't remind me of the injustice that is walking turnstile Michael Jennings playing Origin while Croker doesn't get a run "because of his defence". If ever there was a selection that proved defence isn't a consideration, Jennings is it.
I'd think if you "own" someone it would have some influence on the outcome of the match. If not I'd say it's more Croker has got the better of him on occasion. Raises a point that Croker would be marking Chambers if he played Origin this year after he switched sides, so his physicality in defense wouldn't be a major issue.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: June 18, 2019, 12:47 am The thing with centres is that you can't just compare them to people that currently only play centre in FG. You're up against fullbacks, wingers, five-eighths, and a lot of those guys are also better than Croker. I think Wighton has barely played left centre at first grade level but in a blow by blow comparison between him and Croker, you cannot argue that Jack doesn't come out comfortably.

Croker is in a band of players that includes the likes of Hazem El Masri, Nathan Merritt, Luke Burt. He's a very good, highly experienced club footballer and model professional. He doesn't have that extra level or the right attributes to play Origin, hence why he doesn't get picked - which is ok. To start at 18 and play 250+ games is an extraordinary achievement itself in the scheme of professional RL, regardless of the position. Add to that his goalkicking and the way his points tally is tracking, he will go down as having a fine career with or without rep football.
Correct
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: I'd think if you "own" someone it would have some influence on the outcome of the match.
That was what the American South thought too
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

If there was a wierd team picked where a centre needed to be selected from only the raiders squad, id have bj,wighton and cotric ahead of croker. Thats just from our team..
Dont delete this GE