Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 10:55 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:30 am
PigRickman wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:03 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 16, 2019, 7:17 pm I guess Jack being picked at centre for NSW blows away the conspiracy theory there is some sort of bias against the Raiders keeping Croker out of Origin.

The state selectors pulled a guy out of Origin retirement ahead of him for game 1 then picks his team mate out of position for game 2.

Hmmmm do you think just maybe Croker isn’t the world beating centre many keep suggesting he is....
Who suggested he was some world beating centre?

Genuinely, who? Find me the quote.
Too lazy to go back but there was talk of shifting Latrell to right centre for Game 1 to accommodate Croker at left centre. If that doesn't label him world class then I don't know what does.
Good, that's great, there is one dude doing that and half a dozen of you idiots suggesting Croker isnt even a FG quality centre. The guy saying Croker is elite is much closer to the truth than you are :lol:
I've never said that. I said he had a bad few weeks around Rounds 9 - 11 and if it continues he should be under pressure to retain his spot. He has bounced back so happy for him to keep his spot. My only gripe with him getting the captaincy was I don't think he is quite good enough to be an automatic selection whenever fit. I have him in the middle of the pack of centres across the NRL, it's just funny to me that some won't acknowledge the slightest weakness in his game defensively.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sterling put Croker and Funicane in the same basket over the weekend, as 2 of the most unlucky non Blues in recent years. You can tick 1 more off that list. I think Croker regularly comes up in discussions, however, he is a left sided player, and that has always been the stronger side talent wise. If you believe the hype, they nearly moved Latrell to play him, but went with the stop gap in Morris instead.

To retain Jack, Fittler has shoe horned him into the centre role. I suspect Jack will play left side and Turbo (incumbent player - bar injury) right, despite the number on their backs. While it costs Croker a spot, Im happy for Jack.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 11:42 am
PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 10:55 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:30 am
PigRickman wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:03 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 16, 2019, 7:17 pm I guess Jack being picked at centre for NSW blows away the conspiracy theory there is some sort of bias against the Raiders keeping Croker out of Origin.

The state selectors pulled a guy out of Origin retirement ahead of him for game 1 then picks his team mate out of position for game 2.

Hmmmm do you think just maybe Croker isn’t the world beating centre many keep suggesting he is....
Who suggested he was some world beating centre?

Genuinely, who? Find me the quote.
Too lazy to go back but there was talk of shifting Latrell to right centre for Game 1 to accommodate Croker at left centre. If that doesn't label him world class then I don't know what does.
Good, that's great, there is one dude doing that and half a dozen of you idiots suggesting Croker isnt even a FG quality centre. The guy saying Croker is elite is much closer to the truth than you are :lol:
I've never said that. I said he had a bad few weeks around Rounds 9 - 11 and if it continues he should be under pressure to retain his spot. He has bounced back so happy for him to keep his spot. My only gripe with him getting the captaincy was I don't think he is quite good enough to be an automatic selection whenever fit. I have him in the middle of the pack of centres across the NRL, it's just funny to me that some won't acknowledge the slightest weakness in his game defensively.
People acknowledge his weaknesses. Every player has them. The difference in opinion is the vast majority of us don't believe Croker's weaknesses are justification to sack him (which was the original topic here) or drop him to NSW Cup. A roster change to remove the particular weaknesses of one player will only introduce other weaknesses from the new player.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

You could pick Croker and he'd be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

NR - people like to laud Croker’s indivudual records and what he does for the club. He has been playing 1st grade since 2009 and has been captain for most that time. He has a win record of slightly over 47%.

Over 10 years when the raiders have run out with him in the team usually as skipper we have lost more often than we have won but somehow he is a sacred cow who’s selection should never be questioned.

47% career win record - wake up people!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 1:35 pm NR - people like to laud Croker’s indivudual records and what he does for the club. He has been playing 1st grade since 2009 and has been captain for most that time. He has a win record of slightly over 47%.

Over 10 years when the raiders have run out with him in the team usually as skipper we have lost more often than we have won but somehow he is a sacred cow who’s selection should never be questioned.

doesn't Papalii have a similar record?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Papa would need to play many more seasons to catch Croker’s loss record of 128 games. Croker has a good 30 game loss lead on him. Can anyone point to a Raider who has captained or played in more losses than JC? My point is if you hang around a long time you do rack up lots of personal records but they aren’t all good and it’s wrong to selectively hold up some to justify the continued selection of a player without question.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:57 pm Papa would need to play many more seasons to catch Croker’s loss record of 128 games. Croker has a good 30 game loss lead on him. Can anyone point to a Raider who has captained or played in more losses than JC? My point is if you hang around a long time you do rack up lots of personal records but they aren’t all good and it’s wrong to selectively hold up some to justify the continued selection of a player without question.
Do you mean any current Raider's player?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:37 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 1:35 pm NR - people like to laud Croker’s indivudual records and what he does for the club. He has been playing 1st grade since 2009 and has been captain for most that time. He has a win record of slightly over 47%.

46%
What an utterly ridiculous post from Billy :lol: :lol:
Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:57 pm Can anyone point to a Raider who has captained or played in more losses than JC?
Jason Croker
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy... come on now!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:57 pm Papa would need to play many more seasons to catch Croker’s loss record of 128 games. Croker has a good 30 game loss lead on him. Can anyone point to a Raider who has captained or played in more losses than JC? My point is if you hang around a long time you do rack up lots of personal records but they aren’t all good and it’s wrong to selectively hold up some to justify the continued selection of a player without question.
No, your point was to apply a team win % to an individual to try and prove he’s a “loser” and it blew up in your face spectacularly because you didn’t take the time the carefully consider the insane Bull before you posted
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:02 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:37 pm

46%
What an utterly ridiculous post from Billy :lol: :lol:
Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:57 pm Can anyone point to a Raider who has captained or played in more losses than JC?
Jason Croker
Piggy - I take it you can’t name a Raiders captain who has over seen more losses than Jarrod Croker.

Despite a career win record of close to 57% you are correct that Jason Croker played in 132 losses for the club. I’m tipping Jarrod will become the most losingest Raiders player in history by years end.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

FTR, Croker's win record as captain is 54%. Prior to that his win record was 42%. Definite upward trend. :)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:10 pm
No, your point was to apply a team win % to an individual to try and prove he’s a “loser” and it blew up in your face spectacularly because you didn’t take the time the carefully consider the insane Bull before you posted
At a team level Papa has him covered mate - just because Crokes hasn’t played for state or country doesn’t mean we should discount Papa’s record for Qld, Aus and Samoa. Papa’s got a higher win % than Crokes. (Not by much I admit) but he has him covered.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:26 pm FTR, Croker's win record as captain is 54%. Prior to that his win record was 42%. Definite upward trend. :)
And Hodgo....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:29 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:26 pm FTR, Croker's win record as captain is 54%. Prior to that his win record was 42%. Definite upward trend. :)
And Hodgo....
Hodgo has a 51.5% win record over the same period.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Jarrod Croker

Post by Sid »

And the Blues have a 37% winning record in that time period.. they could do with a player that has a 47% win record
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:28 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:10 pm
At a team level Papa has him covered mate - just because Crokes hasn’t played for state or country doesn’t mean we should discount Papa’s record for Qld, Aus and Samoa. Papa’s got a higher win % than Crokes. (Not by much I admit) but he has him covered.
I think throwing Australia and QLD's win percentage into the mix is more to do with players like Smith, Cronk, Thurston, Slater, Inglis and others, than any sort of brilliance on Papa's part.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:45 pm And the Blues have a 37% winning record in that time period.. they could do with a player that has a 47% win record
:roflmao
Another ball for poor billy boy to pick from his net
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:30 am I have him in the middle of the pack of centres across the NRL...
Granted this list is from a few weeks ago, provided by Julian...

The centers in the NRL last week were: Jennings, Hoffman, Whare, Blake, Walker, Parker, Arthars, Kelly, Hunt, Ramien, Tupou, Mitchell, Croker, Cotric, O’Neill, Opacic, Hiku, Herbert, Staggs, Shibasaki, Lowe, Gagai, Momirovski, Marsters, Montoya, Hopoate, Chambers, Seve, Aitken, Lafai, Xerri and Morris.

That's 32 centres... Middle of the road... find me the 16 better than him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:54 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:30 am I have him in the middle of the pack of centres across the NRL...

The centers in the NRL last week were: Jennings, Hoffman, Whare, Blake, Walker, Parker, Arthars, Kelly, Hunt, Ramien, Tupou, Mitchell, Croker, Cotric, O’Neill, Opacic, Hiku, Herbert, Staggs, Shibasaki, Lowe, Gagai, Momirovski, Marsters, Montoya, Hopoate, Chambers, Seve, Aitken, Lafai, Xerri and Morris.

Trick question. Are you talking QLD Gagai or Souffs Gagai?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:54 pm

Wow, that's a pretty ordinary list overall. Other than Latrell and Chambers, Croker has the wood on most of that bunch. Top 5 at least. Xerri and Cotric are obviously on the up, but here and now Croker has the runs on the board.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Piggy is pulling out the least worst argument again - it doesn’t matter if our centre struggles so long as we can point to others he is better than...

I guess I have my views on Croker others have theirs... if only there was someone independent who knows rugby league who could settle the argument like say.... Brad Fitler and his team of selectors... 😂😂😂😂
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 4:40 pm Piggy is pulling out the least worst argument again - it doesn’t matter if our centre struggles so long as we can point to others he is better than...

I guess I have my views on Croker others have theirs... if only there was someone independent who knows rugby league who could settle the argument like say.... Brad Fitler and his team of selectors... 😂😂😂😂
Do you actually have a point? I'm really not sure what your argument is so cannot run it by Freddy for confirmation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahaha just caught up on this discussion, Billy just picking ball after ball out of his net here
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 4:40 pm Piggy is pulling out the least worst argument again - it doesn’t matter if our centre struggles so long as we can point to others he is better than...

You mean Fitler and his team of selectors who plucked Big Bad Dan Saifiti?

Yeah, cool cool.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 4:53 pm

Yeah, cool cool.
Correct - I think we are on the same page now... even average players like Saifiti can crack the team, it’s the really below average players that don’t win a prize.

When the NSW selectors fill his position with one of his teammates playing out of position it almost suggests that perhaps he just ain’t that good.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:

I guess I have my views on Croker others have theirs... if only there was someone independent who knows rugby league who could settle the argument like say.... Brad Fitler and his team of selectors... ImageImageImageImage

Yeah, cool cool.
The same selectors who just dropped Latrell **** Mitchell, the “next Greg Inglis”?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can see why NSW has not selected Croker. They have generally gone for a different sort of player (big, power runners), and he has had defensive issues at times, but these are seriously overstated. His form just prior to Origin I wasn’t great this year either.

However, to suggest he’s not amongst the best centres in the game, at least not in the top third of the pack... it is ludicrous IMO. There are suggestions here that he shouldn’t even be playing first for the Raiders or he should be ‘let go’. That is simply ridiculous IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 4:59 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 4:53 pm

Yeah, cool cool.
Correct - I think we are on the same page now... even average players like Saifiti can crack the team, it’s the really below average players that don’t win a prize.

When the NSW selectors fill his position with one of his teammates playing out of position it almost suggests that perhaps he just ain’t that good.
Alright, Billy
The list provided above, you go through those 32 names and post the ones you think are better the Croker
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

The thing about Origin teams is that you'll see a whole bunch of players being picked out of position simply because they are the best overall talents and the selectors/coaches will just fit them in however they have to. They talk about it all the time. Most of these really top class guys are versatile and can play across a number of positions with relative ease. Both sides do it. So the fact Croker isn't being picked in favour of someone playing out of their regular position doesn't mean he isn't one of the better regular centres in the NRL, he simply may not match it with the very top echelon in terms of raw talent. But there is few who do which is why Origin is what it is.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:14 pm I can see why NSW has not selected Croker. They have generally gone for a different sort of player (big, power runners), and he has had defensive issues at times, but these are seriously overstated. His form just prior to Origin I wasn’t great this year either.

However, to suggest he’s not amongst the best centres in the game, at least not in the top third of the pack... it is ludicrous IMO. There are suggestions here that he shouldn’t even be playing first for the Raiders or he should be ‘let go’. That is simply ridiculous IMO.

GE - just between you and me, if I was given the task of Raiders selector for the next game I would be throwing the number 3 jumper to J Croker and leaving the (c) beside his name and giving him the kicking tee. He is the best option we have available for selection at the moment and he isn’t horribly out of form.

I’ve probably been a bit antagonist on the whole issue but it just irks me that JC has somehow reached a status where his position is beyond questioning.

I do get that he has been great for the club for a long time and maybe clubs need a core of supporters blindly devoted to their players but there needs to be some level of objectivity about the whole debate.

I’ve probably said more than enough on the whole debate today but I won’t apologise for questioning the form or selection of any player where warranted and I’m not alone in asking questions about whether Croker is the long term option. It’s the reaction of being shouted down for even mentioning the thought that makes me go harder at the issue than possibly warranted.

Anyway - it’s all good fun and promise I won’t be disappointed if he does end up holding the premiership trophy aloft this year (unless it because we traded him before the cutoff - that would be awkward!)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Billy... come on now!
Let the man dig a bigger hole GE!

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:37 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:14 pm I can see why NSW has not selected Croker. They have generally gone for a different sort of player (big, power runners), and he has had defensive issues at times, but these are seriously overstated. His form just prior to Origin I wasn’t great this year either.

GE - just between you and me, if I was given the task of Raiders selector for the next game I would be throwing the number 3 jumper to J Croker and leaving the (c) beside his name and giving him the kicking tee. He is the best option we have available for selection at the moment and he isn’t horribly out of form.

I’ve probably been a bit antagonist on the whole issue but it just irks me that JC has somehow reached a status where his position is beyond questioning.

I do get that he has been great for the club for a long time and maybe clubs need a core of supporters blindly devoted to their players but there needs to be some level of objectivity about the whole debate.

I’ve probably said more than enough on the whole debate today but I won’t apologise for questioning the form or selection of any player where warranted and I’m not alone in asking questions about whether Croker is the long term option. It’s the reaction of being shouted down for even mentioning the thought that makes me go harder at the issue than possibly warranted.

Anyway - it’s all good fun and promise I won’t be disappointed if he does end up holding the premiership trophy aloft this year (unless it because we traded him before the cutoff - that would be awkward!)
Woah billy! Don’t back down now, you big coward

Go through the list and tell me the names.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

How on earth does anyone come to the conclusion that potentially moving on the 3rd best centre at this club is “ridiculous”?

We can’t keep everyone and we’re obviously battling to keep Jordan Rapana who is an elite level winger.

If it’s between the 2 of them for cap space .... who are we going to miss ? I’ll give you the drum, it’s Jordan Rapana every day of the week.

We haven’t won a premiership in 25 years and we need every advantage we can get.