Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Wigan Warriors centre Oliver Gildart

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Interesting that the Gildart rumour is still getting a run.

Gildart linked to NRL as transfer talk heats up

With clubs now free to talk with out of contract players, speculation is rife. League Weekly report that Castleford are keen on a swap deal involving Mitch Clark and Wigan’s Taulima Tautai, while St Helens winger Adam Swift is interesting Hull. Their biggest link has Wigan centre Oliver Gildart interesting Canberra.

Read more: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/pa ... -toulouse/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly settle three year deal for George Williams

Post by zim »

Has Gildart played any position other than centre? No way he's a centre in our first 17.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Played a couple of games there at club level but he played a test on the wing and was pretty good if I remember correctly.

Really though with the average salary now 2:1 in the NRLs favour someone like Gildart may come whether he is guaranteed a starting spot or not.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bring it on! He’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’d imagine Gildart has fans in the NRL but I’d say they’re just guessing it’s Canberra given our English recruitment of late.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:44 pm I’d imagine Gildart has fans in the NRL but I’d say they’re just guessing it’s Canberra given our English recruitment of late.
I think it may be based on Bateman replying to one of Gildarts Instagram posts "I can't wait to see you here next year" or similar. I would've thought that was a bit flimsy for it to still be running though.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Wigan Warriors centre Oliver Gildart

Post by Leebola »

The Wigan Warriors must be loving us right now.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Wigan Warriors centre Oliver Gildart

Post by gangrenous »

Have we made them being our feeder club formal yet?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sure why not, the more the **** merrier at this point.
You'd have to think the English National Team would be good enough to run top 4 most years in the NRL

The Raiders in Stuart's day built a winner on the back of being one of few clubs who actively recruit out of NZ and QLD, two areas of football talent that was not being mined the way it should... perhaps this England thing is Ricky's version of that.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Where's Don ?

Squash it Don..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Why though?

Rapana, Oldfield, Cotric, Simmonsen, Croker, Leilua...

Unless we are losing one we seem to be just recycling back ups who should be on near minimum wage anyway (Simmonsen, Oldfield)...
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Dont forget, wightons also a center 😜
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BadnMean wrote: May 23, 2019, 7:28 pm Why though?

Unless we are losing one we seem to be just recycling back ups who should be on near minimum wage anyway (Simmonsen, Oldfield)...
Is that directed at me ?

Ok..

It's nothing to do with the talent or non talent of Mr Gildart. It's just that we've heard these "reportedly interested in" stories forever...

Even if we are"reportedly interested" it has to be denied first.

Have you not noticed this ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I mean on paper it doesn't make a lot of sense but arguably neither did Bateman when we were first linked to him.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

What about Smith-Sheilds, Kris, Timoko and the other juniors killing it in 20’s or cup? Getting a bit out of hand with “jobs for the boys” in my opinion! Breed from within!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-PJ- wrote: May 23, 2019, 7:45 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 23, 2019, 7:28 pm Why though?

Is that directed at me ?

Ok..

It's nothing to do with the talent or non talent of Mr Gildart. It's just that we've heard these "reportedly interested in" stories forever...

Even if we are"reportedly interested" it has to be denied first.

Have you not noticed this ?
Was just a general query about why we would be interested in the guy? (if it is true at all)
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

PigRickman wrote: May 23, 2019, 6:52 pm Sure why not, the more the **** merrier at this point.
You'd have to think the English National Team would be good enough to run top 4 most years in the NRL

The Raiders in Stuart's day built a winner on the back of being one of few clubs who actively recruit out of NZ and QLD, two areas of football talent that was not being mined the way it should... perhaps this England thing is Ricky's version of that.
Ricky's whiteboard replicates that of a genius school janitors. If X = Englishmen not affected by Origin, minus n being 3 Origin games affected and B is amount of rounds minus the byes......
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Handy bench utility / backup centre winger.

Maybe started negotiating just in case Rapana takes up a deal elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Oh Wigan the poor buggers...
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Ronny P wrote: May 23, 2019, 8:33 pm What about Smith-Sheilds, Kris, Timoko and the other juniors killing it in 20’s or cup? Getting a bit out of hand with “jobs for the boys” in my opinion! Breed from within!

How did that go for us the last decade or so before the Fab Four joined us?

If you have a chance to sign a 22 year old current test player from one of the big three nations who already has 100+ first grade games under his belt, you don’t roll the dice on a junior instead.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

I've seen a bit of him play and unless Rapana is not re-signing I don't see where he'd fit into the side.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

He's a better player than Croker. Not as good as BJ when he's playing well, but much better than when he isn't.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Timbo wrote:
Ronny P wrote: May 23, 2019, 8:33 pm What about Smith-Sheilds, Kris, Timoko and the other juniors killing it in 20’s or cup? Getting a bit out of hand with “jobs for the boys” in my opinion! Breed from within!

How did that go for us the last decade or so before the Fab Four joined us?

If you have a chance to sign a 22 year old current test player from one of the big three nations who already has 100+ first grade games under his belt, you don’t roll the dice on a junior instead.
Fair enough. A temporary fix is what got us the “decade” issue prior. I guess we let the juniors go then pay way overs for them to come back when the bubble bursts. Im sure Horsborough, Guler,Young,Murchie,Wighton,Cotric etc would probably be good examples of dice rolled.
I take your point on the quality of this guy. But i do believe its him or Rapana from a contract perspective. Just my opinion.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

MrPosh wrote: May 24, 2019, 1:40 am He's a better player than Croker. Not as good as BJ when he's playing well, but much better than when he isn't.
Don’t agree with this.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Can he play both wing and centre?
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

PigRickman wrote: May 23, 2019, 6:52 pm Sure why not, the more the **** merrier at this point.

It is 100% that
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Depending on Joey's recovery, we may need a centre.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

luke wrote: May 24, 2019, 9:12 am Depending on Joey's recovery, we may need a centre.
Cotric has to go into the centres at some stage- we need a winger. And from what I've seen Oldfield still has another good year or two (very strong carries out of territory vs a very strong Souths team) and Simonnsen I'd still like to see more of. I'm still not against picking him up as a backup/potentially first choice winger + centre cover over those two but only if we are losing Rapana or Joey's neck is such that he is advised not to risk it in a game like League again (touch wood not that bad for the big fella).

In that case we'd have Oldfield/Gildart as outside backs, one starting one in reserve and Simmonsen in the mix but perhaps still playing FB at Mounties to develop as a genuine FB backup option.

SL season isn't over until late October/early November from what I remember so perhaps talking to this guy now pending results of Joey's surgery or Rapana negations...

Haven't seen enough of Gildart to know whether he has the pace and rucking out ability wanted in a winger (85kgs looks a bit light on). I'll believe he is better than Toots when I see it.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

BadnMean wrote: May 24, 2019, 10:05 am
luke wrote: May 24, 2019, 9:12 am Depending on Joey's recovery, we may need a centre.
Cotric has to go into the centres at some stage- we need a winger. And from what I've seen Oldfield still has another good year or two (very strong carries out of territory vs a very strong Souths team) and Simonnsen I'd still like to see more of. I'm still not against picking him up as a backup/potentially first choice winger + centre cover over those two but only if we are losing Rapana or Joey's neck is such that he is advised not to risk it in a game like League again (touch wood not that bad for the big fella).

In that case we'd have Oldfield/Gildart as outside backs, one starting one in reserve and Simmonsen in the mix but perhaps still playing FB at Mounties to develop as a genuine FB backup option.

SL season isn't over until late October/early November from what I remember so perhaps talking to this guy now pending results of Joey's surgery or Rapana negations...

Haven't seen enough of Gildart to know whether he has the pace and rucking out ability wanted in a winger (85kgs looks a bit light on). I'll believe he is better than Toots when I see it.
It is interesting though, I know that the money is massively skewed to the NRL from the Super League now but Gildart isn't Jordan Turner. Turner was almost thirty, had been playing as a utility and had never played test football. Gildart on the other hand is 22, is a first-pick starter in first grade and current member of the English test squad. Is he really going to come to be a backup?

The talk of this has intensified since Joey went down. I wonder if it's worse than being let on.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Timbo wrote: May 24, 2019, 10:18 am
BadnMean wrote: May 24, 2019, 10:05 am

It is interesting though, I know that the money is massively skewed to the NRL from the Super League now but Gildart isn't Jordan Turner. Turner was almost thirty, had been playing as a utility and had never played test football. Gildart on the other hand is 22, is a first-pick starter in first grade and current member of the English test squad. Is he really going to come to be a backup?

The talk of this has intensified since Joey went down. I wonder if it's worse than being let on.
I guess he would be first choice over Oldie and at centre if Cotric didn't take at centre (which I really doubt)- but Gildart doesn't seem suited as an NRL winger- he's about 8kg lighter than Toots so he'd struggle rucking out which is key element in wing play these days. Suggests Stuart sees Cotric continuing at winger...

Who knows, perhaps just a rumour or just talking while we see what happens with Joey as a worst case or as Rapana worst case like I said. Pretty hard to have a 3/4 line of Jordy (#1 winger), Joey (top3 centre easy), Toots (captain $$ + top 6 centre easily) and Cotric would be expected to receive some large offers in 2020 as origin or very close level player (plus no doubt some come early, we'll pay what you're worth) shenanigans by other clubs. Previously Cotric would have been our bargain among that lot but those days are ending.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

I also don't really want to move Cotric to centre full time. Clubs like the Storm show the value of having beast-mode wingers.

Half the posters on here wanted Cotric to centre and Rapana to fullback before the season starts. Wingers are no longer just the bloke who catches the last pass, having extremely skillful guys - and in our case, two guys who are skilled in different ways - can't be overstated in value.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If the Oliver Gildart is coming someone is leaving. There's plenty of other clubs he could head to instead of us if he didn't want to compete with our back 5 for a spot.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Total speculation
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Billy Britain anyone ? Not a pom but has the name at least...

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm a fan.

If BJ has a slow or unsuccessful recovery, and/or Rapana moves on , we need a quality replacement. Gildart is quality.

A lot of ifs there, but this is all just speculation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.