Canberra Raiders rewarded with representative honours

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin II

Post by -PJ- »

I think the sun has fried Sterlos brain...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Peter Sterling says the future of Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton is in the centres

Peter Sterling says Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton could well make a permanent move to the centres in the future.

“I actually think that Jack Wighton’s best position is centre and that’s eventually where he will slot in down the track at the Canberra Raiders I would imagine unless he goes elsewhere. But I think ultimately that is going to be his best spot.

Read more and audio: https://www.sportsradio.com.au/sterlos- ... tf0iPQAm4U
Editors note: Sterling said after the interview he hasn't watched a Raiders game since 2012

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Yeh, nah, Sterlo.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Maybe wait till we see how he goes at centre first.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's actually developing insanely well as a 5/8th and the club has Croker, Beej, Cotric and Kris...

Yeah i dont think centre is in his future as a Raider
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

I thought his best position was centre as well until this year when I realised he could play 5/8
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:20 pm Maybe wait till we see how he goes at centre first.
He could play the best game at centre ever and id still want him playing 5/8 for us
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: June 21, 2019, 6:50 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:20 pm Maybe wait till we see how he goes at centre first.
He could play the best game at centre ever and id still want him playing 5/8 for us
That's a given.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:23 pm He's actually developing insanely well as a 5/8th and the club has Croker, Beej, Cotric and Kris...

Yeah i dont think centre is in his future as a Raider
So basically he's going to leave the Raiders so he can realise his full potential as a centre. I heard he's homesick for Brisbane.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

There's not a five-eighth in the comp I'd buy to move Wighton to the centres! Even if we somehow magically landed Cameron Munster tomorrow I'd play Munster at fullback and Wighton at five-eighth.

That's how good he's going.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Origin battle 'all personal' for Canberra Raiders back Jack Wighton

Jack Wighton won't feel the need to wage a war of words with fiery Queensland centre Will Chambers despite insisting his State of Origin battle will be "personal" on Sunday night.

"I know I just have to do my job. I’ll just do what I do on the night. The whole game is personal. It’s not just the one person you’re playing, it’s between the states as everyone knows. This is all personal."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Whew, I'm glad I read that story. For a second I thought Gasnier had been brought in to teach mobile phone etiquette.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders back Jack Wighton jumps back on the Origin bike

Playing centre is like riding a bike and Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton is confident he can jump straight back on after a five-year absence.

"The week's been good. Just jumping back on the bike really, feeling comfortable and just excited to get back out there," Wighton said. "[It's been] something like [five years]. I train there every now and then though.

How Jack Wighton reached out to Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker for tips on mastering centre

As Jack Wighton prepared for his left-centre cameo on Sunday night in Origin II, he quickly reached out to his Canberra captain for a few pointers on mastering the position.

"We're good mates, we've played so much footy together. He's such a great guy. I know how much it means to him. I was so proud of him the first time he was selected. I'm not a coach but I had a feeling he'd be in the starting side somewhere [for Perth].

Read more: https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wighto ... RqeT7RmZuA
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

RedRaider wrote: June 22, 2019, 12:22 pm Whew, I'm glad I read that story. For a second I thought Gasnier had been brought in to teach mobile phone etiquette.
Lol
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin II

Post by Sid »

Wighton has a tough job ahead of him tonight defending in between Maloney and Addo-Carr. Particularly in a position that’ll have a lot of eyes on it given the non picking of Mitchell. I feel like he is just holding Mitchell’s spot for now for Wighton to slot somewhere else in the 17 be it game 3 or next year
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Sid wrote: June 23, 2019, 5:19 pm Wighton has a tough job ahead of him tonight defending in between Maloney and Addo-Carr. Particularly in a position that’ll have a lot of eyes on it given the non picking of Mitchell. I feel like he is just holding Mitchell’s spot for now for Wighton to slot somewhere else in the 17 be it game 3 or next year
Yeah, he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing here. He'll be effectively doing the work of three players.

Hope neither he nor Papa injure themselves.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m still bemused by the reaction to Saifiti’s selection on here. I can’t pinpoint why a group of Canberra fans picked him out as a pretty ordinary player. No one ever labeled him as top tier and it took 4 prop injuries (on top of blokes jumping ship) for him to get a look in for NSW.

I’ve been impressed by him from the start. Came into a team of down and outers at 19/20 and stood up to the big boys from the get go. I haven’t followed him extremely closely over his 3/4 seasons at the top but that initial step up leaves a pretty lasting impression. In fact I’m surprised his brother has been on the outer so much behind some over rated players like Gavet.

He wasn’t anything out of the ordinary last night and he definitely hasn’t proven he’s some world class player but he did his job. I think he’ll do it again in game 3. I hope Sims drops out for Klemmer not Saifiti.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

i accepted long ago, that you and i will agree on about 95% of things in RL, the front row isnt one of them.

But Siafiti was a non entity, his team absolutely dominated all over the park and his numbers were OK, and his eye test was, as i said, a non entity
He is exactly as you said, an ordinary player. He had about 30 metres in 20 minutes in the first half, and then picked up yardage by the buckets as a down hill skier.
He did do better than i expect so i gotta eat a lot of crow on that, but that was a debacle from QLD from start to finish. They wont go down that easily next time out.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Questioning Safiti's elevation was hardly unique to Canberra fans on here.

He was decent enough, even good, but he is still one of the least meritorious Origin selections in recent memory.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m not jumping behind him as a massive fan. I’m not even really disagreeing with those 2 posts. And it’s a bit of a weird one for me to pick out because I generally subscribe to stats representing props fairly well (but for those who skip the early set hit ups) and Saifiti is no monster on paper. He’s young and undoubtedly tough.

I’m not sure I agree with him not being there on merit either. An avenue of luck opened up but you can only compete with your peers in this regard. He was selected because Klemmer, Haas, McLean, Lodge and Woods were injured. And because Fifita and co switched allegiance. I don’t think any other available prop had more of a case tbh. Especially considering Finucane and Tariq Sims player there out of position over any others.

A more deserved selection than several players picked because of who they played for over the last 15 years.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think when you look at 8 runs for 100m vs nsw's premier prop in Vaughan who had 13 runs for 119m Saifiti held his own

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Looking at the Queensland forwards, if Horsburgh puts in a good few months to end the season and start next season, he is in for a big chance to be selected as a bench forward for the first game next year. Their bench was horrendous. Can someone explain the "Glasby is such a good Origin defender" narrative? Is it a meme? I remember his debut game for Queensland he was caught out on two tries. Wallace is so far from being an Origin player, I wouldn't even take him in the Raiders starting 17.

Glad to be wrong about the NSW selections, though it shows the Game 1 selections were dubious to say the least (Walker, in particular). I was at the game and kept an eye on Jack - I am not sure what the stats are, but I swear he ran more than any other player other than Tommy T. Every single time the ball was back for kick return, Wighton would make an effort to provide an option for a pass. He got to his front almost every time he hit the ball up, his 150 or so metres were quality.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote:Looking at the Queensland forwards, if Horsburgh puts in a good few months to end the season and start next season, he is in for a big chance to be selected as a bench forward for the first game next year. Their bench was horrendous. Can someone explain the "Glasby is such a good Origin defender" narrative? Is it a meme? I remember his debut game for Queensland he was caught out on two tries. Wallace is so far from being an Origin player, I wouldn't even take him in the Raiders starting 17.

Glad to be wrong about the NSW selections, though it shows the Game 1 selections were dubious to say the least (Walker, in particular). I was at the game and kept an eye on Jack - I am not sure what the stats are, but I swear he ran more than any other player other than Tommy T. Every single time the ball was back for kick return, Wighton would make an effort to provide an option for a pass. He got to his front almost every time he hit the ball up, his 150 or so metres were quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2019, 8:42 am
TongueFTW wrote:Looking at the Queensland forwards, if Horsburgh puts in a good few months to end the season and start next season, he is in for a big chance to be selected as a bench forward for the first game next year. Their bench was horrendous. Can someone explain the "Glasby is such a good Origin defender" narrative? Is it a meme? I remember his debut game for Queensland he was caught out on two tries. Wallace is so far from being an Origin player, I wouldn't even take him in the Raiders starting 17.

Thanks, GE - the stat I am after is "distance covered", he really did provide a lot of options off the ball, particularly on kick returns he was often the first NSW player back (other than the Wingers), ready for a shift in case it happened.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: June 25, 2019, 9:18 am

Thanks, GE - the stat I am after is "distance covered", he really did provide a lot of options off the ball, particularly on kick returns he was often the first NSW player back (other than the Wingers), ready for a shift in case it happened.
That is not in the stats suite, but they mentioned on one of the shows on Fox League last night that the "Tracker" showed Wighton topped that, in front of Tom Trbojevic.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2019, 9:23 am
TongueFTW wrote: June 25, 2019, 9:18 am

That is not in the stats suite, but they mentioned on one of the shows on Fox League last night that the "Tracker" showed Wighton topped that, in front of Tom Trbojevic.
Thanks - that concurs with my "eye test" at the ground - though I was not sure if my "Raiders bias" was kicking in!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The phenomenal Origin effort put in by Canberra Raiders back Jack Wighton

GPS statistics from NSW's big win in State of Origin II reveals the scoreboard was not the only area dominated by the Blues.

Jack Wighton's 7.8km covered was the best of all players, his intensity of 107 metres per minute was the best of any of the 80-minute players, his 34 high-speed efforts (number of sprints of over 20 km/hr) was also best on ground and his top speed of 32.7 km/hr trailed only flying wingers Josh Addo-Carr (34.2 km/hr) and Corey Oates (33.3).

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/26/tel ... ton-stars/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Where does Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton fit in the NSW Blues dilemma?

Jack Wighton is a contender for the NSW Blues' No. 6 jersey for the State of Origin decider but Canberra Raiders coach Stuart expects him to stay at left centre.

"I can't see Brad changing [Wade] Graham and [James] Maloney. I think he'll keep [Tom] Trbojevic and Jack in the centres."

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd keep him at 3 and bring in another proper playmaker. His best position for us is 6 but that role for origin is another step up for a guy that hasn't been there that long. If his form is still going next year, sure.
Graham to stay on the bench as you don't want an injury to Maloney forcing Wighton or Graham to 7.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Graham played one half there in a team leading 20-6 and well on top in every aspect. Seems pretty risky to keep him there and expect the same result to me.

At the least they would need to carry a bench back so Jack could move in to the halves if needed.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Thanks for the article above, GE. The GPS doesn't lie! Jack really was amazing in that game. I saw most outlets gave him a 7 or 7.5/10 but his effort was worth more than that in my opinion. 150+ metres from a centre in an Origin game without a line break to inflate the stats is a fantastic performance. Not to mention a try assist and, as I mentioned before, his work to provide an option for the other outside backs working out of trouble. He put a few decent hits on too.

His best position for us is undoubtedly at 6 where he gets more touches, and we can afford his 1 or 2 mistakes that come with it. I think by this time next year those mistakes will be out of his game (similar to his growth as a fullback) and he might be ready for a craft at 6 in Origin. For now leave him at 3 (or, 4 as the number he wore in the game) - NSW need his metres and workrate.

After what he went through last year, it really is incredible to see him playing so well at the highest level of the game. Credit to Stuart - we now have a team with 3 Origin players, and 6 Tier 1 internationals (Rapana, Tapine, Bateman, Hodgson, Whitehead and soon Sutton).
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Those stats for Jack are all about effort. That's why he will keep his position for Origin 3. The article in another thread about why Mitchell was dropped from Origin 2 showed a lack of effort. Jack has demonstrated he WANTS to be there. Good on him. I hope he carves up Parramatta tonight.

On the Saifiti selection, thanks for the Stats GE, he got 33 minutes at prop. Yes his run meters were fine, but the 3 missed tackles in 33 minutes playing time were not fine. I think NSW had a possession advantage during the time he was on the park as well. If Klemmer proves his fitness he will walk straight back into the side for Saifiti.

My impressions after the game were that Cook had run a lot of meters. I thought it would have been more than 91 shown by the stats.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Klemmer should replace Sims or Murray not Saifiti
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Direct prop for prop swop for me Julian, Klemmer in for Saifiti.

I would definitely select a regular halves player if Cleary can't play. QLD tried to take Maloneys head off at the end of Soo2 so I reckon that will be the starting tactic for game 3.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How to fit Klem in might be taken out of their hands anyway with Sims being suspended.