Canberra Raiders rewarded with representative honours

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Cotric, Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin

Post by kiwi raider »

PigRickman wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:27 pm Kiwi, i might pick you before i'd pick Saifiti.
Though your eligibility might be questionable based on user name, but then, Jimmy Tamou is an Origin player.
Eligibility would be the least of my concerns, at 65kg I'm a little worried at squaring up against Josh Papalii but the positive is I'd likely only need to pay for a one way air fare, doing the maths and after studying the Jamie Buhrer hit, I reckon if I ended up on the end of one of Papalii's shots I'd at least make it back to Nz's west coast before coming back to earth
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Tommy T is the least of the concerns. He's talented enough that he should cope.
The pack is an out and out disaster though, when Papalii comes back on for his second stint, he's going to dominate imo
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:44 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:27 pm Kiwi, i might pick you before i'd pick Saifiti.
Though your eligibility might be questionable based on user name, but then, Jimmy Tamou is an Origin player.
Eligibility would be the least of my concerns, at 65kg I'm a little worried at squaring up against Josh Papalii but the positive is I'd likely only need to pay for a one way air fare, doing the maths and after studying the Jamie Buhrer hit, I reckon if I ended up on the end of one of Papalii's shots I'd at least make it back to Nz's west coast before coming back to earth
:roflmao
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

How much has Shannon Boyd fallen down in the pecking order when Saifiti is selected ahead of him. Can’t believe Boyd was a Kangaroo and one stage...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Brew wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:46 pm How much has Shannon Boyd fallen down in the pecking order when Saifiti is selected ahead of him. Can’t believe Boyd was a Kangaroo and one stage...

A well deserved Kangaroo's jersey too. He was a very destructive prop at the time. I think the game has moved beyond him now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:44 pm Tommy T is the least of the concerns. He's talented enough that he should cope.
Really? Morris and Latrell are both genuine centres, yet neither defended well in game one.

Latrell was instrumental in QLD winning with his horror reads, but he should’ve been given the chance to redeem himself for obvious reasons.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

RedRaider wrote:
raiderskater wrote: June 16, 2019, 3:23 pm Tamou is nearly as marshmallow a forward as Aaron Woods.

And no I don't know what the answer is, but not frickin' Tamou. Surely there's someone better than that.
You must have missed the 45 metre angled run he put on for a try against us in Wagga Wagga. Or the fact that of the middles available for NSW for post contact meters he is in the top 4. Klemmer is now out that makes top 3. Aiden Tolman and Finucane are the others. Yes even better than Jake Trbojevic on the post contact meter stats.
I'm not sure why you'd chose the Wagga try as a sample of how good he is..

That was a junk time try if there ever was one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: June 16, 2019, 9:21 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:44 pm Tommy T is the least of the concerns. He's talented enough that he should cope.
Really? Morris and Latrell are both genuine centres, yet neither defended well in game one.

Latrell was instrumental in QLD winning with his horror reads, but he should’ve been given the chance to redeem himself for obvious reasons.
Dont get me wrong, im not saying i would have dropped Mitchell. He and Tedesco would be the first two players i'd pick
Dropping him is insane imo. IM just saying Tommy T is a really good player and i dont see any reason to be worried about him as a centre in a vacuum. I wouldnt pick him at centre over Mitchell, not a **** chance, but he'll be ok, i think.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

1. Tedesco
2. Trbojevic
3. Mitchell
4. Morris/ Croker
5. Addo-Carr
6. Wighton
7. ?????
8. Vaughan
9. Cook
10. Tamou/ Paulo
11. Cordner
12. Frizell
13. Trbojevic

14. Walker
15. Murray
16. Sims
17. Finucane

Team freddie should have picked.
Cleary at halfback I guess... but only because Pearce and Reynolds are unavailable. Maybe Maloney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Northern Raider wrote: June 16, 2019, 9:18 pm
Brew wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:46 pm How much has Shannon Boyd fallen down in the pecking order when Saifiti is selected ahead of him. Can’t believe Boyd was a Kangaroo and one stage...

A well deserved Kangaroo's jersey too. He was a very destructive prop at the time. I think the game has moved beyond him now.
It really wasn’t well deserved.

It was the token pick a random player from that year’s finals surprise packet.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: June 16, 2019, 10:35 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 16, 2019, 9:18 pm

It really wasn’t well deserved.

It was the token pick a random player from that year’s finals surprise packet.
He wasn't even the best prop at the Raiders, let alone in Australia.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-TW- wrote: June 16, 2019, 9:23 pm
RedRaider wrote:
raiderskater wrote: June 16, 2019, 3:23 pm Tamou is nearly as marshmallow a forward as Aaron Woods.

And no I don't know what the answer is, but not frickin' Tamou. Surely there's someone better than that.
You must have missed the 45 metre angled run he put on for a try against us in Wagga Wagga. Or the fact that of the middles available for NSW for post contact meters he is in the top 4. Klemmer is now out that makes top 3. Aiden Tolman and Finucane are the others. Yes even better than Jake Trbojevic on the post contact meter stats.

TW - I don't know what the expression 'junk time try' means. Any time a prop runs 45 meters to score a try is news worthy imo. I'm sure Jack was one of the players he beat/outpaced in his run to the line.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: June 16, 2019, 8:44 pm
All they need to do is get you into space mate....
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Cotric, Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

RedRaider wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

TW - I don't know what the expression 'junk time try' means. Any time a prop runs 45 meters to score a try is news worthy imo. I'm sure Jack was one of the players he beat/outpaced in his run to the line.
Junk time try: A try that is scored where the player tricks the opposition by tucking the ball into his shorts. Made famous by Glebe Second Rower Billy Carlisle in the 20’s.

It’s also known as a Shirvo try.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

NSW dodged a bullet with Pearce being out. They have a much better chance with Maloney.

Some of the commentary around the side has surprised me. Other than the first 20 minutes, NSW were far, far off the pace in game one and the scoreline flattered them. There were 2 or 3 last ditch defensive efforts and luck that prevented the score from blowing out before a late consolation try brought them within a converted try. The whole "we only lost by 4 points and an intercept try" is misguided - NSW were dominated in every facet of the game.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 17, 2019, 12:32 pm
RedRaider wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Junk time try: A try that is scored where the player tricks the opposition by tucking the ball into his shorts. Made famous by Glebe Second Rower Billy Carlisle in the 20’s.

Thanks Fui :roflmao :roflmao I always wondered why he was 'signaling' to turn right when the track curved to the left. Balance perhaps.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin II

Post by greeneyed »

New snub cements Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker's title as unluckiest player in NSW Origin history

Of all the State of Origin snubs Canberra Raiders hero Jarrod Croker has endured, this must be especially bruising. Croker was just passed-over in favour of his Raiders teammate Jack Wighton, who will play left centre for NSW. Croker’s position.

"The poor bugger doesn't get the accolades he deserves,” Ricky Stuart said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jarrod-cro ... cyOhONZBNw
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin II

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

RedRaider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 17, 2019, 12:32 pm
RedRaider wrote:TW - I don't know what the expression 'junk time try' means. Any time a prop runs 45 meters to score a try is news worthy imo. I'm sure Jack was one of the players he beat/outpaced in his run to the line.

Thanks Fui :roflmao :roflmao I always wondered why he was 'signaling' to turn right when the track curved to the left. Balance perhaps.
Yeah I think it was for ballast and stability. His version of the winged keel
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Latrell deserved to be dropped.

Origin is 90% attitude, and his was nowhere to be found.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Agreed

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: June 16, 2019, 7:14 pm LemonMan and co will tell you it never happened, but last time Wighton clashed with Chambers in the centres, Wighton won the battle comfortably. But that was 2013.

Picking Tommy Turbo at centre and leaving Latrell out is just plain reckless.
Hahaha boy it's spicy being called out on this forum by the poster who has proven himself to have the LEAST clue about rugby league over the last decade.

That's quite an achievement!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 12:47 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 16, 2019, 7:14 pm LemonMan and co will tell you it never happened, but last time Wighton clashed with Chambers in the centres, Wighton won the battle comfortably. But that was 2013.

Hahaha boy it's spicy being called out on this forum by the poster who has proven himself to have the LEAST clue about rugby league over the last decade.

Or you can just go back and watch the tape, sober.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

Honestly, I'll just keep on with my process of going outside to check the sky colour everytime you tell me it's blue.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:11 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

Honestly, I'll just keep on with my process of going outside to check the sky colour everytime you tell me it's blue.
They let you go outside?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:13 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:10 pm Or you can just go back and watch the tape, sober.
They let you go outside?
Look, that's not important. The important thing here is that I'm capable of getting outside if I really need to.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Rickman wrote:
yeh raiders wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:10 pm Or you can just go back and watch the tape, sober.
They let you go outside?
Look, that's not important. The important thing here is that I'm capable of getting outside if I really need to.
slip slop slap
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:14 pm
They let you go outside?
Provided the ankle monitor is on
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Northern Raider wrote:
They let you go outside?
Is that a Penrith native requirement ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:11 pm Honestly, I'll just keep on with my process of going outside to check the sky colour everytime you tell me it's blue.
They let you go outside?
Is that a Penrith native requirement ?

Wow, that’s a massive swing and a miss haha
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

No swing no ding

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: 'Pretty confident we can do the job' - Canberra Raiders and Queensland Maroons forward Josh Papalii

Queensland Maroons enforcer Josh Papalii can't wait to run out onto Perth Stadium on Sunday after experiencing the excitement of Game I.

Video: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/06/19/ ... h-papalii/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Hear from Canberra Raiders and Queensland Maroons forward Josh Papalii, as he prepares for State of Origin II from Perth. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #QLDER

'First session not our best': https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... est!735784
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter Sterling says the future of Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton is in the centres

Peter Sterling says Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton could well make a permanent move to the centres in the future.

“I actually think that Jack Wighton’s best position is centre and that’s eventually where he will slot in down the track at the Canberra Raiders I would imagine unless he goes elsewhere. But I think ultimately that is going to be his best spot.

Read more and audio: https://www.sportsradio.com.au/sterlos- ... tf0iPQAm4U
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I mean let's completely disregard the fact he's now playing career-best football, he's now the major strike weapon AND focal point of the Canberra Raiders attack, yeah sure... his best position is centre.

So was Laurie Daley's.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Peter Sterling is pretty clueless these days. At one point I'm sure he had a good football IQ. But not anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk