Canberra Raiders rewarded with representative honours

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Cotric, Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin I

Post by edwahu »

If you ever want to give a penalty try you have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise just dump the rule all together.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

if you don't give that a penalty try then you can never give another one
Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:if you don't give that a penalty try then you can never give another one
You can't be certain he would have scored that one. The presence of that other player took that benefit away from him

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:
bonehead wrote:if you don't give that a penalty try then you can never give another one
You can't be certain he would have scored that one. The presence of that other player took that benefit away from him

he's in the in goal in front and the ball hit his chest. it's a no-brainer
Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

dubby wrote: June 7, 2019, 7:53 am

Agree. A player was there to challenge the put down so you couldn't be certain - he needs to take control of the ball and even then we see players held up from all sort of situations.

IMO the wording of the rule should be changed so a penalty try can be awarded more liberally. Nothing annoys me more in the game than that type of play.

Edit: looks like it has already been changed to "in the referee's opinion a try would have been scored". In that case should have been a penalty try plus 10 in the bin.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
dubby wrote:

Every weekend a player will completely drop the ball with the tryline in front of him and nobody near him. Jack Bird has done it every second game he has played. Seriously no exaggeration it happens nearly every weekend.

In the very same game all Napa had to do was put some downward pressure on the ball and he couldn't. I say penalty tries should be almost scrapped and replaced with a 5 minute sinbin.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

gergreg wrote: June 7, 2019, 8:37 am
bonehead wrote:
dubby wrote:

Every weekend a player will completely drop the ball with the tryline in front of him and nobody near him. Jack Bird has done it every second game he has played. Seriously no exaggeration it happens nearly every weekend.

In the very same game all Napa had to do was put some downward pressure on the ball and he couldn't. I say penalty tries should be almost scrapped and replaced with a 5 minute sinbin.

You'd get players being taken out left right and centre when in try scoring positions if you changed the rule to that.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe, but a penalty and 10 minutes sinbin is a huge advantage

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

As it should be for someone spoiling the spectacle. Should be harsher.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

But you can take a team's best player out of the game in an act of foul play (in general play) in the first minute and the player is simply put on report, but a bloke is sinbin for doing the same in a try scoring situation, and as I'm trying to point out, regardless of how probable a try would be scored, there is no guarantee that it would have.

Edit, apologies to GE. That's a pretty **** sentence

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

-TW- wrote: June 6, 2019, 6:16 pm Outside of the first 20 nsw were completely outplayed

My one gripe is, as it is every year.. either referee the NRL like origin, or origin like the NRL

There can't be two different sets of interpretations based on the status of the game

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I actually thought the game was well reffed there was only two decisions I would have changed.

QLDs first penalty - You could smell it, NSW was on top the crowd was crying like a baby, QLD hadnt got a penalty and it was just a nothing call to satisfy the two heads, it was the sort of decision canberra cops every away game (x5 see brookvale)

The line drop out where a nsw player was taken back in goal after his momentum appeared stopped.

That was about it. There were a lot of other 50:50s that I thought were about evenly split, but I dont mind it.
Last edited by papabear on June 7, 2019, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 5:06 pm Haha I'm absolutely not blaming the refs, papa! I said if a couple of questionable decisions that could've easily gone either way (and they honestly could have both gone either way) went the other way then Queensland wins by more! I'm not saying either of the decisions were wrong, just that the scoreline SERIOUSLY flattered NSW. And it absolutely did.

Go and take a cold shower, papa. Also, I'm not reading all of that garbage. Gee whiz. Struggling with the loss much??
The scoreline flattered us from a possession and forward effort point of view.

It didn't flatter us from a result point of view.

It also didn't flatter us from a quality in attack point of view.

The game was like a reverse version of what origin was 5 years ago, where QLD looked more classy NSW just had to have more ball and try way harder.

NSW looked more classy/skilled, QLD just had more ball and tried hard and they managed to scrape home, good on them. However, dominant from one perspective imo does not equal dominant all over. IMO if Jack doesn't through that intercept NSW probably win, that is how close it was from an actual match perspective.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The fact that the penalty try has now morphed into a massive discussion proves my point entirely.

Thank you, everybody.
Last edited by The Nickman on June 7, 2019, 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: June 7, 2019, 9:28 am
The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 5:06 pm Haha I'm absolutely not blaming the refs, papa! I said if a couple of questionable decisions that could've easily gone either way (and they honestly could have both gone either way) went the other way then Queensland wins by more! I'm not saying either of the decisions were wrong, just that the scoreline SERIOUSLY flattered NSW. And it absolutely did.

Go and take a cold shower, papa. Also, I'm not reading all of that garbage. Gee whiz. Struggling with the loss much??
The scoreline flattered us from a possession and forward effort point of view.

It didn't flatter us from a result point of view.

It also didn't flatter us from a quality in attack point of view.

The game was like a reverse version of what origin was 5 years ago, where QLD looked more classy NSW just had to have more ball and try way harder.

NSW looked more classy/skilled, QLD just had more ball and tried hard and they managed to scrape home, good on them. However, dominant from one perspective imo does not equal dominant all over. IMO if Jack doesn't through that intercept NSW probably win, that is how close it was from an actual match perspective.
Well this post seems a lot more rational than your last one... you hit the cans early yesty, m8??
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Cotric and Wighton selected for NSW, Papalii for Queensland

Post by Johno »

The Rickman wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:31 am
edwahu wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:27 am
The Rickman wrote: June 5, 2019, 9:41 am
dubby wrote: June 4, 2019, 7:36 pm
julian87 wrote:Surely there’s not still a team chaplain in 2019?
Why not?

Because it's the 21st century?? What service does a team chaplain provide?
Provides ministry to the religious players in the squad. Pretty sensible given the amount of religious players in the game.
Okay... why doesn't my workplace employ one of those?
Geez, thats food for thought right there !
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

There are some whispers that Wighton might start for NSW game 2.

Fittler wants to sure up the defence on that side, and was apparently impressed at Wighton's running in his few carries.

Not sure how I feel about it - one the one hand, I think defensively he will be amazing for NSW. On the other, I fear the public backlash that will come if he makes a couple of mistakes when trying things. Again, I think if they keep his role as simple as possible, he will be good - just don't want him to be forced to be the attacking spark, he needs another year or so at NRL level being a dominant playmaker before that happens.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Ill back Fittler for one more game. I think alexander has no idea but what I like about Fittler is he doesn’t seem to listen to the media noise at all. Hence no Ferguson etc. in fact the only bloke he listens to is Gould I reckon.

Picking Wighton there would be a really Origin move. He’s not as good as Walker as an attacking five eighth. But he’d be picked for his toughness, defence, kick chase and overall enthusiasm. I’m not sure I’d agree with the pick either (in fact I think any five eighth is in for a tough time partnering anyone that’s not Keary) but if it’s what Fittler goes with I’ll support it.

NSW are very, very long odds of winning without Klemmer anyway imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

On the footy show yesterday they were talking about Prior and RCG as replacements for Klemmer. I would have thought Fifita would at least be discussed.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’d consider Saifiti now McLean is unavailable tbh.

There are just no good options atm it’s worrying.
Last edited by julian87 on June 10, 2019, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fifita has pledged allegiance with Tonga so he can't be picked

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

You’ve got RCG, Prior, Saifiti, Twal, Finucane, Sims, Lodge, Tolman and Tamou as pretty much the only seasoned NSW eligible middles left.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:Ill back Fittler for one more game. I think alexander has no idea but what I like about Fittler is he doesn’t seem to listen to the media noise at all. Hence no Ferguson etc. in fact the only bloke he listens to is Gould I reckon.

Picking Wighton there would be a really Origin move. He’s not as good as Walker as an attacking five eighth. But he’d be picked for his toughness, defence, kick chase and overall enthusiasm. I’m not sure I’d agree with the pick either (in fact I think any five eighth is in for a tough time partnering anyone that’s not Keary) but if it’s what Fittler goes with I’ll support it.

Gee, that’s a pretty hot take seeing as NSW are $1.75 favourites to win the match haha

Giving up already? I thought they were going to flog us in every game for the next ten years!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote: June 10, 2019, 11:48 am You’ve got RCG, Prior, Saifiti, Twal, Finucane, Sims, Lodge, Tolman and Tamou as pretty much the only seasoned NSW eligible middles left.
I’d dump Crichton and pickup Sims and Finucane.

I’ve never seen Finucane hurt, he’s like a Hilux.

Lodge is too much of a ****. Tolman’s never going to make metres against a rushing offside defensive line. Tamou gets gassed too easily.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think Sims is a bit out of form, or McGregor isn't using him properly. Either way he would lift for Origin.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd take Tamou or Finucane if I had to.

No to RCG.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Rickman wrote: June 10, 2019, 1:02 pm
julian87 wrote:Ill back Fittler for one more game. I think alexander has no idea but what I like about Fittler is he doesn’t seem to listen to the media noise at all. Hence no Ferguson etc. in fact the only bloke he listens to is Gould I reckon.

Gee, that’s a pretty hot take seeing as NSW are $1.75 favourites to win the match haha

Giving up already? I thought they were going to flog us in every game for the next ten years!
Should NSW be favorites though?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: June 10, 2019, 2:53 pm

I didn't think they should have been favourites for Game 1, but I was in a very VERY small minority on this forum.

Most people were saying NSW was going to flog Queensland.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I was with you then. I wasn’t confident heading into game 1 and I tipped Qld in my comps.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Cotric, Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton in the mix to be NSW Blues number six

The push to hand Jack Wighton a starting role for the NSW Blues is gaining momentum as the Canberra Raiders five-eighth prepares for one final audition.

"Just the confidence in his own game is the biggest thing he will take out of it. He now knows he is seen as one of the best players in the competition, and it's not just us telling him that," Sam Williams said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I feel sorry for Wighton if he has to partner Cleary in the halves... Keary would be a better option for 7 imo
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

julian87 wrote: June 10, 2019, 2:53 pm

The weird thing about the market is NSW are clear favourites for Game 2 yet QLD are clear favourites for the series. I understand that Game 1 winners have a 70 odd percent series winning record but if you legitimately thought NSW would win in Perth you'd have to back them to win the series too with the decider in Sydney.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

winning the last 2 games in a row and the last 11 of 13 series isn't going to stop qld from claiming some sort of underdog status
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 10, 2019, 8:52 pm I feel sorry for Wighton if he has to partner Cleary in the halves... Keary would be a better option for 7 imo
Keary is being rested as far as I'm aware..the Roosters have stood him down.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Nick Cotric wants to hold his New South Wales Blues spot

Nick Cotric's burning desire to finish what he started is fuelling his push to retain his sky blue jersey.

"It would mean a lot to me," Cotric said. "That would be a dream to do that, but I'm taking each day as it comes and I'm focused on doing the best I can this week against Cronulla and we'll see what happens.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders star Nick Cotric wants to hold his New South Wales Blues spot

Nick Cotric's burning desire to finish what he started is fuelling his push to retain his sky blue jersey.

"It would mean a lot to me," Cotric said. "That would be a dream to do that, but I'm taking each day as it comes and I'm focused on doing the best I can this week against Cronulla and we'll see what happens.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

I doubt any NSW player would be like “Yeah... nah I’m right. One go at it was enough. Let someone else have a turn.”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021