Canberra Raiders rewarded with representative honours

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: Cotric, Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin I

Post by raiderskater »

Yeah I don't think we should play Cotric on Friday. Even if he thinks he's fine. Too much of a risk.

Jack was clearly not given a proper instruction and the fact that he was playing alongside some truly insipid halves almost certainly didn't help.

Papa was huge as always. Love him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Cotric was solid and did not put a foot wrong. Papa was Queensland’s best forward - in that second stint his defence was amazing.

Jack had some decent energy - obviously the intercept was horrible, he did well to get on the outside of Chambers, should have taken the tackle and got a quick play the ball. They had 12 men and needed to just wind down the clock. I don’t think he was used correctly - I said all week his job needs to be play it simple down the middle, run and tackle hard. I was surprised when he came on for Walker in the halves.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

TongueFTW wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:55 pm Cotric was solid and did not put a foot wrong. Papa was Queensland’s best forward - in that second stint his defence was amazing.

Jack had some decent energy - obviously the intercept was horrible, he did well to get on the outside of Chambers, should have taken the tackle and got a quick play the ball. They had 12 men and needed to just wind down the clock. I don’t think he was used correctly - I said all week his job needs to be play it simple down the middle, run and tackle hard. I was surprised when he came on for Walker in the halves.
DIsagree im one respect, last he night should have been played as a floating left edge defensive machine.I actually agree with you that he shouldn't have been play making though.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

not excusing the intercept but addo Carr certainly didn't help with his positioning- not sure between Latrell and JAC for worst performance of the night
Edrick The Entertainer
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Sid wrote:I hope you held off on getting that Blues Cotric jersey Brew!!
Haha got the jersey just not the number yet. Now I know!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

bonehead wrote: June 6, 2019, 5:14 am not excusing the intercept but addo Carr certainly didn't help with his positioning- not sure between Latrell and JAC for worst performance of the night
I've seen people mystifyingly trying to claim that Addo-Carr wasn't that bad. Have to wonder what they were watching.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Queensland deserved to win. They were clearly the better team, the second half especially. Klemmer and Vaughan were good, but having them both off at the same time did not help Cook. Haas is young and will be better for the run, but I really feel like NSW needed another prop on the bench, or used Frizell in the middle. Crichton - I just don’t see it. Am I missing something? I just see him as very ordinary. Makes me really appreciate our second row - Bateman and Whitehead are superior to all the second rowers on the pitch last night.

I thought Cook was overplaying his hand with last tackle options in the red zone. His left footed grubber wasted a few opportunities. In his defence, he probably didn’t trust the halves.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

raiderskater wrote: June 6, 2019, 7:46 am
bonehead wrote: June 6, 2019, 5:14 am not excusing the intercept but addo Carr certainly didn't help with his positioning- not sure between Latrell and JAC for worst performance of the night
I've seen people mystifyingly trying to claim that Addo-Carr wasn't that bad. Have to wonder what they were watching.
You can see how profile and one or two highlights in a game impacts people's ratings. Most journos are saying Addo-Carr played well because he saved a couple of tries, even though it was his edge that was destroyed all game.

Then you see Arrow getting 5.5s while Klemmer gets 8s, even though Arrow and Papalii turned the game to QLD.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jack will hold his spot for SOO2.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

TongueFTW wrote:Queensland deserved to win. They were clearly the better team, the second half especially. Klemmer and Vaughan were good, but having them both off at the same time did not help Cook. Haas is young and will be better for the run, but I really feel like NSW needed another prop on the bench, or used Frizell in the middle. Crichton - I just don’t see it. Am I missing something? I just see him as very ordinary. Makes me really appreciate our second row - Bateman and Whitehead are superior to all the second rowers on the pitch last night.

I thought Cook was overplaying his hand with last tackle options in the red zone. His left footed grubber wasted a few opportunities. In his defence, he probably didn’t trust the halves.
Yeah, good post. Queensland was clearly dominant, in the first half we bombed three tries to Gagai and we had another two disallowed by video refs which you could easily argue both should’ve been given... in the end it could’ve been Queensland by 30

If NSW had somehow pulled that one out of the bag it would’ve been one of the greatest Origin tragedies of all time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Brew wrote: June 6, 2019, 6:20 am
Sid wrote:I hope you held off on getting that Blues Cotric jersey Brew!!
Haha got the jersey just not the number yet. Now I know!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I wasn't sure if you were also going to have Čotrić/Cotric written on there as well!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

The Rickman wrote:
TongueFTW wrote:Queensland deserved to win. They were clearly the better team, the second half especially. Klemmer and Vaughan were good, but having them both off at the same time did not help Cook. Haas is young and will be better for the run, but I really feel like NSW needed another prop on the bench, or used Frizell in the middle. Crichton - I just don’t see it. Am I missing something? I just see him as very ordinary. Makes me really appreciate our second row - Bateman and Whitehead are superior to all the second rowers on the pitch last night.

Yeah, good post. Queensland was clearly dominant, in the first half we bombed three tries to Gagai and we had another two disallowed by video refs which you could easily argue both should’ve been given... in the end it could’ve been Queensland by 30

If NSW had somehow pulled that one out of the bag it would’ve been one of the greatest Origin tragedies of all time

Can't really argue that point.

NSW stood off Pongia way too much and he got easy metres before even having to try. They didn't contain Munster at all. And they let their forward pack be dominated early in the second half.

Thing I found interesting, the three players in the anthem debate all had quiet games. Mitchell, Walker and Chambers. Now I had no issues with the debate but just curious if it had any affect on them at all?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

raiderskater wrote: June 6, 2019, 7:46 am
Yeah, their argument is because he saved a couple of tries where his edge got owned he is good. It's makes no sense.

There are a lot of people who just judge players off the highlight reel.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

TongueFTW wrote: June 6, 2019, 8:04 am Queensland deserved to win. They were clearly the better team, the second half especially. Klemmer and Vaughan were good, but having them both off at the same time did not help Cook. Haas is young and will be better for the run, but I really feel like NSW needed another prop on the bench, or used Frizell in the middle. Crichton - I just don’t see it. Am I missing something? I just see him as very ordinary. Makes me really appreciate our second row - Bateman and Whitehead are superior to all the second rowers on the pitch last night.

Whilst I agree in general with your thoughts on Bateman and Whitehead, I have to say I thought Kaufusi was outstanding for Qld. Papalii not far behind him as Qld's next best forward IMO.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 8:19 am

You believe Oates didnt put his foot on the touchline twice?
I thought they would give the Napa one, and say lack over evidence to overturn, but I believe the correct call was made.

I thought Munster was lucky not to have been deemed to have had his pants pulled down
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote: June 6, 2019, 2:05 pm

I thought they would give the Napa one, and say lack over evidence to overturn, but I believe the correct call was made.

I thought Munster was lucky not to have been deemed to have had his pants pulled down
I don't think they got any Oates decisions wrong... he was out the first time and was perfectly fine the second one.

Wait, wait... did I just dubby?? Fairgoitall!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think people are overly critical of JACs defensive efforts. Mitchell, Walker and to a lesser extent Cordner played much bigger roles in that edge falling apart. Once it comes time for JAC to make a decision it's already a **** show and he and Teddy made some great efforts to stop those tries. We needed more from him coming out of trouble though.
I thought Cotric got left high and dry a couple of times by Morris coming in too when in the first half Morris was holding the line. He'll be better for the run.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 2:08 pm
Matt wrote: June 6, 2019, 2:05 pm

I don't think they got any Oates decisions wrong... he was out the first time and was perfectly fine the second one.

Wait, wait... did I just dubby?? Fairgoitall!
So, are you referring to the potential Penalty try? Coz they got that correct too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: June 6, 2019, 3:30 pm I think people are overly critical of JACs defensive efforts. Mitchell, Walker and to a lesser extent Cordner played much bigger roles in that edge falling apart. Once it comes time for JAC to make a decision it's already a **** show and he and Teddy made some great efforts to stop those tries. We needed more from him coming out of trouble though.
I thought Cotric got left high and dry a couple of times by Morris coming in too when in the first half Morris was holding the line. He'll be better for the run.
Latrell and Walker were awful. So Cordner and JAC were dragged down by that.

Morris and Cotric made good and bad decisions the other night. More good than bad though.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

How good was Cotric's try saver to hold up in goal!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm saying both decisions could arguably have gone the other way. Just because you think it wasn't a penalty try doesn't mean a lot of people don't think it should've been one. Same goes for the grounding where the video ref saw sufficient evidence to overturn the onfield ref, despite the fact half the people I was watching it with thought it was a try and half didn't.

At the end of the day, ref's decisions are ref's decisions, but if we get both those calls we win by a lot more. I'm not saying they were both wrong, I'm saying they both could've easily gone the other way.

Just like if Chambers passes to Gagai three times when he has the line open in front of him in the first half, we win by a lot more.

Anyway you slice and dice it, Queensland were dominant for 80 minutes, not just one half. The scoreline absolutely flattered NSW.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

QLDs middle worked harder then ours once Vaughn and Klemmer went off, did klemmer even come back on?

But lets be honest we went very close to stealing that game except for a jacky boi special, I have thrown a lot of intercepts in my life, but I would like to think I have balanced that out well and truly with a **** ton more good try assists.

Jacky boi needed to either draw and pass before contact or take them on and take the tackle. He did niether got punished and game over. Then despite all that we still almost won it at the end. lol at blaming the coaching, he plays 5/8 at club level, but we have all seen it a thousand times with him, all the his form had been superb heading into this match he has some absolute garbage in him at times.

We lost by four points but we have easily the most damaging two players on the field in Cook and Tedesco and if Latrell remembers who he is we will have the three most damaging players on the field.

Also midway through the second half, QLD got a line drop out for forcing someone back in goal whom had clearly stopped sideways before they put a second effort in to push him over, that was a penalty every day of the week and at that point in the game when we were playing gassed it really really hurt, I dont see QLD getting those calls again.

I agree with the commentary re Ado Carr and the left side defence, Ado Carr is a crap defender but a lot of those breaks came down to Mitchell / Walker and Cordner. Similar to Morris running out like a goose leaving cotric all alone. I would like to see cotric engage more in the match more, he seems to be deferring a bit when he should grab the match by the scruff of the neck he is good enough.

On that matter Cordner and Gillett are both over rated.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 4:18 pm I'm saying both decisions could arguably have gone the other way. Just because you think it wasn't a penalty try doesn't mean a lot of people don't think it should've been one. Same goes for the grounding where the video ref saw sufficient evidence to overturn the onfield ref, despite the fact half the people I was watching it with thought it was a try and half didn't.

At the end of the day, ref's decisions are ref's decisions, but if we get both those calls we win by a lot more. I'm not saying they were both wrong, I'm saying they both could've easily gone the other way.

Just like if Chambers passes to Gagai three times when he has the line open in front of him in the first half, we win by a lot more.

Anyway you slice and dice it, Queensland were dominant for 80 minutes, not just one half. The scoreline absolutely flattered NSW.
LOL this is just garbage.

NSW were easily the better team for the first half and not the second half. QLD put in way more effort in the second half and had small things go their way.

The Napa Try there was a clear bobble and loss of control on the put down, the only reason it took so long to make the decision, you were down 8-0 at the time and in QLD, if you were up or the game was at a neutral venue or nsw thats a no try. Very close but a no try, and lets be honest it was a shemozzle of a set and a shemozzle of a play (with a good kick) that had a **** of luck even to get it to the point of the no try.

As for the Penalty, you just had Napa knock on an easier one under no pressure. You got a sinbin on a guy for what was a proffessional foul but it was only because mitchells timing was off (he was off all game tbh), both the ref got the decision exactly right.

You are the same **** on here giving it to raiders fans when they blame the ref for robbing us in the dieing seconds of a match, but on here you are complaining about two referee decisions in the middle of the match which had ample time afterwards for different responses and momentum swings. The worst of it all the two ref decisions were correct you just know too little about rugby league to actually see it, your two head bias cant see past it. It was as much a try as NSW no try when QLD took an eternity to ground it and then only grounded with the side of his hand a split second before nsw almost scored, yes a **** video ref could have made a mistake and given nsw a try but they didnt and they got the result right. Same with the QLD one. You **** peanut.

Lets have a look at a few choice statistics, despite QLDs far superior line speed and seemingly more possession, dont have the stat on hand.
QLD penalties 5
NSW penalties 3 (started 2-0, thus from about 20 mins in it was 1-5)
QLD mistackles 49
NSW mistackles 30
QLD linebreaks 6
NSW Linebreaks 8

Thus despite more energy from the QLD forwards, a bit more luck and more love from the refs, QLD only won by 4 (a result I thought was fair due to the class of ponga (**** mistakes from morris) and effort of the QLD forwards) QLD missed more tackles and made less line breaks. Yet you think you dominated the whole game.

Good luck in the rest of the games matey.

In case I havent made it clear in my post earlier, you are a **** idiot.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha I'm absolutely not blaming the refs, papa! I said if a couple of questionable decisions that could've easily gone either way (and they honestly could have both gone either way) went the other way then Queensland wins by more! I'm not saying either of the decisions were wrong, just that the scoreline SERIOUSLY flattered NSW. And it absolutely did.

Go and take a cold shower, papa. Also, I'm not reading all of that garbage. Gee whiz. Struggling with the loss much??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Outside of the first 20 nsw were completely outplayed

My one gripe is, as it is every year.. either referee the NRL like origin, or origin like the NRL

There can't be two different sets of interpretations based on the status of the game

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: June 6, 2019, 6:16 pm Outside of the first 20 nsw were completely outplayed

My one gripe is, as it is every year.. either referee the NRL like origin, or origin like the NRL

There can't be two different sets of interpretations based on the status of the game

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I'd rather they got the NRL reffing consistent first.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Refereeing inconsistency is something we will lament forevermore.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I am absolutely not complaining about refereeing decisions, all I’m saying here is IF those two 50/50 video ref calls went Queensland’s way (and on another night they perfectly could have), then we win by a lot, lot more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:I am absolutely not complaining about refereeing decisions, all I’m saying here is IF those two 50/50 video ref calls went Queensland’s way (and on another night they perfectly could have), then we win by a lot, lot more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
50/50's? You've got some **** nerve having a dig at GE on his comments about refereeing and then claiming those two calls as 50/50. Don't worry about checking on papabear somebody needs to check on your welfare.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Cotric, Wighton, Papalii selected for Origin I

Post by The Nickman »

There’s a massive difference between me saying those calls could’ve gone either way and GE and gangrenous swearing every decision goes against the raiders because of refereeing bias, gerg

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Name a decision I complained about that was a fair decision.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Napa knocked it on clear as day. Sure, a few years ago GI was awarded the most ridiculous try after knocking the ball on and Slater has a history of scoring tries after also dropping the ball (not in SOO from memory) so I can understand QLDers not knowing what a knock on is, but just for the record you can't score a try by completely missing the ball with your hands and bouncing it off your arms. I doubt even GE would claim that as a try in his wildest dreams.

Sure the penalty try could have been awarded but the right decision was made, and the sinbin was arguably a better outcome for QLD anyway.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

penalty try for all money, the ball literally bounced off gillett's chest.
Napa 100% knock on.
Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I think Nickman and his mates must have been seeing triples by the time Napa scored - even then I think a try would be more 25/75.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:penalty try for all money, the ball literally bounced off gillett's chest.
Napa 100% knock on.
But if Napa was impeded we would be having the same discussion. All he had to do was put his hands down on the ball and he didn't. The video ref/bunker really should see the complete end of penalty tries, except in situations where the ball is already in the players hands and they're hit in a high tackle. There's been a massive amount of situations where a player only has to put the ball down and they fail to do so.