Canberra Raiders rewarded with representative honours

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Nick Cotric and Jack Wighton selected for NSW Blues

Post by Hazza »

Yep. It's all sweet and rosy until we miss the 8 by 2 points and it's the dogs game that costs us.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well we also need these guys to be getting to the point where they can make the conscious decision to grab games by the scruff of the neck and drive the team home to a win. We sorely needed that on Saturday. Fingers crossed.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Fantastic for both of them - and always on the cards - Fittler has been talking about them both all year and the Sydney noise about people like Jesse Ramien has been just that, noise. Morris is also well deserved and makes complete sense inside Nick.

I believe the NSW bench is one backrower too full, but time will tell.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Morris was the safe pick at right centre. His form has been decent this year and you know he can handle Origin.

Cotric hasn't quite been up to his best lately however he's been picked on the back of quality player for the past couple of years and an eye for the future.

Wighton is an ideal bench player who can help cover an injury anywhere from 1-7. As with any player like that I'm not sure how they use him if there are no injuries. Potentially he could replace a half if one of them is struggling or they need a spark.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2019, 8:22 am Morris was the safe pick at right centre. His form has been decent this year and you know he can handle Origin.

Cotric hasn't quite been up to his best lately however he's been picked on the back of quality player for the past couple of years and an eye for the future.

Wighton is an ideal bench player who can help cover an injury anywhere from 1-7. As with any player like that I'm not sure how they use him if there are no injuries. Potentially he could replace a half if one of them is struggling or they need a spark.
I reckon if they don't need to spell a back, he probably comes on and plays as a ball-playing lock.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Timbo wrote: May 27, 2019, 8:42 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2019, 8:22 am Morris was the safe pick at right centre. His form has been decent this year and you know he can handle Origin.

I reckon if they don't need to spell a back, he probably comes on and plays as a ball-playing lock.
Theyve got jurbo starting and murray on the bench. Cant imagine there being any lovk minutes spare. Chrightons such a strange selection unless they intend on having him spend time at prop
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Josh Papalii selected for Queensland Maroons

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii selected for Queensland Maroons

Kevin Walters has today named three debutants in his Queensland Maroons team for Game I of the Holden State of Origin series at Suncorp Stadium.

The fresh injection of rising Maroons talent will see Moses Mbye, Joe Ofahengaue and David Fifita line up for Queensland in the highly-anticipated series opener on June 5.

Noosa Pirates junior Mbye will fill the important utility role for the Maroons, while Emerging Origin squad members Ofahengaue and Fifita are set to add further punch from the bench.

Walters will formally announce the 2019 captain at tonight’s Maroons Series Launch dinner in Brisbane.

The new leader will become the 15th Queensland Origin captain.

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Corey Oates
3. Michael Morgan
4. Will Chambers
5. Dane Gagai
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Jai Arrow
9. Ben Hunt
10. Josh Papalii
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire
14. Moses Mbye
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Dylan Napa
17. David Fifita
18. Tim Glasby

Queensland Maroons media release

Cherry-Evans, Fifita, Ofahengaue named for series opener: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/27/mar ... -origin-i/

Kevin Walters press conference LIVE from 9:55am: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/05/27/ ... nference-/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

2:1 Raiders reps at the Blues. Looks like I'm a NSW fan this year.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Cotric and Wighton selected for NSW, Papalii for Queensland

Post by gerg »

Was Arrow fronting the judiciary this week or am I thinking of another Titans player?

Edit. Apparently not. I thought he may have been put on report, and thinking not much of it. I note Joe Offeng.... is facing the judiciary but I didn't watch that game.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Reckon they got it right with QLD team. Granville would have been a disaster in Origin.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:2:1 Raiders reps at the Blues. Looks like I'm a NSW fan this year.
qft
Edrick The Entertainer
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2019, 10:05 am Reckon they got it right with QLD team. Granville would have been a disaster in Origin.
Gee Mbye is a bizarre 1 though.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gergreg wrote: May 27, 2019, 9:54 am Was Arrow fronting the judiciary this week or am I thinking of another Titans player?

Edit. Apparently not. I thought he may have been put on report, and thinking not much of it. I note Joe Offeng.... is facing the judiciary but I didn't watch that game.
He didn't even play this week, injured
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders five eighth and NSW Blues debutant Jack Wighton speaks about his motivation to turn things around

NSW Blues debutant Jack Wighton has revealed the motivation that has steered him towards a sky-blue jumper in 2019.

Video: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/05/2 ... gs-around/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hazza wrote: May 27, 2019, 10:40 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2019, 10:05 am Reckon they got it right with QLD team. Granville would have been a disaster in Origin.
Can play anywhere in the spine. Not really an impact player off the bench though. It was either him or Milford.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: May 27, 2019, 10:39 am
T_R wrote:2:1 Raiders reps at the Blues. Looks like I'm a NSW fan this year.
qft
For game 1 at least. Blues have a couple of ready made selection scapegoats if they lose.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2019, 12:03 pm
Hazza wrote: May 27, 2019, 10:40 am
Can play anywhere in the spine. Not really an impact player off the bench though. It was either him or Milford.
Good Noosa boy. Never let you down, those lads.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders trio set for an Origin showdown

Josh Papalii has backed his Canberra Raiders teammates to thrive in the State of Origin arena as the trio sit on the cusp of doing something the club hasn't seen in nine years.

"It's the same feeling of putting on that Maroons jersey again, it's always a privilege and an honour playing in the Maroons jersey," Papalii said. "Going up against my own teammates as well, it's something special and something the club should be happy about.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Cotric and Wighton selected for NSW, Papalii for Queensland

Post by Brew »

Don’t know wether to get 2.Cotric or 5.Cotric on the back of the NSW Jersey.
Seen so many different teams named with both.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: May 27, 2019, 3:31 pm Don’t know wether to get 2.Cotric or 5.Cotric on the back of the NSW Jersey.
Seen so many different teams named with both.

I think it's #5 Brew.

I heard he's playing outside Morris on the right..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I reckon Cotric will play on the right hand side, outside of Morris, but I can see merit either way.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I’ll wait to see a photo or Game Night !

In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton reveals his motivation in NSW Blues call-up

Jack Wighton had heard all the hype, but the Canberra Raiders five-eighth wasn't sure he had done enough to earn a State of Origin debut. Jack Wighton has had to own his previous mistake - a sizable one at that - and is refusing to shy away from it ahead of one of the biggest moments of his career.

"I've got two beautiful kids and the missus at home. I thought, when all that stuff went down last year, I've got to turn it all around for them," Wighton said.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: May 27, 2019, 5:53 pm Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton reveals his motivation in NSW Blues call-up

Jack Wighton had heard all the hype, but the Canberra Raiders five-eighth wasn't sure he had done enough to earn a State of Origin debut. Jack Wighton has had to own his previous mistake - a sizable one at that - and is refusing to shy away from it ahead of one of the biggest moments of his career.

"I've got two beautiful kids and the missus at home. I thought, when all that stuff went down last year, I've got to turn it all around for them," Wighton said.

We really should have seen this coming - the only things stopping the Sydney media pushing Jacks name for an origin berth was a good old fashioned redemption from criminal charges story.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

He looks great in that jersey though..

Again..congrats Jack !!

And Nick of course!!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: May 27, 2019, 6:04 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 27, 2019, 5:53 pm Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton reveals his motivation in NSW Blues call-up

We really should have seen this coming - the only things stopping the Sydney media pushing Jacks name for an origin berth was a good old fashioned redemption from criminal charges story.
Pretty sure he got one of those run early doors this season in the Daily Terror. He was a shoe in from then.

Cotric still a cleanskin though :thumbsup
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Coastalraider wrote:

Typical anti-Canberra bias. He saved a horse from a river in the off season. What more need a man do?? There are only so many old ladies with flat tyres to go around.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

Typical anti-Canberra bias. He saved a horse from a river in the off season. What more need a man do?? There are only so many old ladies with flat tyres to go around.
It’s obvious to me that they’ve picked three of our best players for Origin to stop the team doing so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: May 28, 2019, 11:16 am
T_R wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

It’s obvious to me that they’ve picked three of our best players for Origin to stop the team doing so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freddy could have selected 3 guys from Mounties..
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sutton reffing at Suncorp. What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:Sutton reffing. What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Fixed..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Congratulations to Jack - hope he kills it.

Without being picky I’d have preferred Jack decided to turn things around because he saw the error of his ways rather than feeling obliged to do so cause he has two daughters and a wife.

Anyway main thing is he seems in a good place and his footy has been outstanding.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's being a bit picky...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2019, 10:02 pm It's being a bit picky...
“I thought I’ve got to turn it around for them”... yeah or just turn it around because it wasn’t cool behaviour.

Anyway - I’m glad he’s on a good path and I hope he gets big minutes and calves it up!