Canberra Raiders rewarded with representative honours

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Croker for Blues right centre?

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: May 20, 2019, 9:41 pm Gagai has snakes for shoulders. I dont think he's any better than Croker as a footballer.
He seems to lift a bit for Origin but his best games have been on a wing with some seriously good players making him look good. He struggled last series and wouldn’t be striking much fear in the Blues camp this year I wouldn’t think.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

People keep bringing up Konrad Hurrell but the big thing for me about that was that even with the size and strength difference Croker kept putting his body on the line and putting himself in Hurrell's way. He never shied away from the contest, even when he must have known he'd lose. And that puts him miles above many players who freak out and run and hide. Soward was like that, Darius Boyd is like that...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:08 pm People keep bringing up Konrad Hurrell but the big thing for me about that was that even with the size and strength difference Croker kept putting his body on the line and putting himself in Hurrell's way. He never shied away from the contest, even when he must have known he'd lose. And that puts him miles above many players who freak out and run and hide. Soward was like that, Darius Boyd is like that...
Really? You’re saying even Croker knew he wasn’t up to the contest but the main thing is he was very brave and did his best. Maybe I’m crazy but I’d rather have a winner than a courageous loser out there.

Ok I’m being harsh - in fairness he’s having a good season but this post proves to me a lot of people seem to have an odd affection for the bloke that cuts him a lot of slack.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:46 pm Really? You’re saying even Croker knew he wasn’t up to the contest but the main thing is he was very brave and did his best. Maybe I’m crazy but I’d rather have a winner than a courageous loser out there.

Ok I’m being harsh - in fairness he’s having a good season but this post proves to me a lot of people seem to have an odd affection for the bloke that cuts him a lot of slack.
Courageous loser is an overly critical label imo. I think it's hard to argue that he's not amongst the top centres in the game. I'd be interested to hear you name 5 centres who are better. He's definitely top 10, possibly top 5 for me.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:46 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:08 pm People keep bringing up Konrad Hurrell but the big thing for me about that was that even with the size and strength difference Croker kept putting his body on the line and putting himself in Hurrell's way. He never shied away from the contest, even when he must have known he'd lose. And that puts him miles above many players who freak out and run and hide. Soward was like that, Darius Boyd is like that...
Really? You’re saying even Croker knew he wasn’t up to the contest but the main thing is he was very brave and did his best. Maybe I’m crazy but I’d rather have a winner than a courageous loser out there.

Interesting angle considering the career trajectory of both players since that time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Billy Walker, I’m not saying he’s the next Meninga. The point is he’s been consistently good at NRL level for a long time. He scores, sets up tries, leads and is now a good defender. He can also kick goals if needed.

I understand if Fittler chooses Cotric or someone for youth but, in a time when the first few choices are dead, he should be right in the mix. No question.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

The point is that he still goes in for the tackle regardless. Maybe he's not always successful in those situations, but his actions give the rest of the team time to get there and help.

And as someone else pointed out, where the heck is Konrad Hurrell now? Haven't heard of him in months. But Croker is a player we will be hearing about for decades to come.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:35 am

The point is that he still goes in for the tackle regardless. Maybe he's not always successful in those situations, but his actions give the rest of the team time to get there and help.

And as someone else pointed out, where the heck is Konrad Hurrell now? Haven't heard of him in months. But Croker is a player we will be hearing about for decades to come.
When it comes to picking origin teams or successful teams in general the selectors tend to choose players that can make tackles rather than those that don’t - no matter how bravely they try.

I think you have clearly made the case why Croker will never play State of Origin. I’m concerned the very same reasons you have highlighted will cost the raiders in a big game. He has flaws in his game that many like to gloss over because he is courageous, he is a nice fella, he generally kicks well and he has been a great ambassador for the club. There are lots of factors that rightfully endear him to the raiders fans, but you can’t gloss over the flaws. Filter, Daley and everyone else who has overlooked him for NSW honours don’t have some bent against the raiders - they are purely picking the best teams and Croker isn’t part of that conversation beyond the GH.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

on current trend Croker needs to play another 100 to 105 games to pass Cameron Smith as highest all time pointscorer. Based on Smith playing till end 2020 season.
Currently Smith averaging 6.3pts per match. Croker 8.5pts per match.
Will the body make 4 more seasons in the NRL?
Really needs to play some semi's
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:09 am

When it comes to picking origin teams or successful teams in general the selectors tend to choose players that can make tackles rather than those that don’t - no matter how bravely they try.

I think you have clearly made the case why Croker will never play State of Origin. I’m concerned the very same reasons you have highlighted will cost the raiders in a big game. He has flaws in his game that many like to gloss over because he is courageous, he is a nice fella, he generally kicks well and he has been a great ambassador for the club. There are lots of factors that rightfully endear him to the raiders fans, but you can’t gloss over the flaws. Filter, Daley and everyone else who has overlooked him for NSW honours don’t have some bent against the raiders - they are purely picking the best teams and Croker isn’t part of that conversation beyond the GH.
I'm confident that Croker struggling to contain Konrad Hurrell close to the line will not cost us a big game in future but I'm happy to play your game. Any suggestions who we should look to replace him with that doesn't pose such a risk?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: May 20, 2019, 8:43 pm Sounds like we're reading tea leaves.

Freddy got the culture pretty right last time. If he decides Fergo is a better bet than Cotric to keep that going (when talent is on par and age favours Cotric) then Freddy is as dumb as he sounds (prepared to entertain the current argument that he is not dumb, just inarticulate on camera or on the spot).
I have to say from a Queensland point of view I'd absolutely LOVE to see guys like Dugan and Ferguson back in the team.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 11:09 am

I'm confident that Croker struggling to contain Konrad Hurrell close to the line will not cost us a big game in future but I'm happy to play your game. Any suggestions who we should look to replace him with that doesn't pose such a risk?
A bigger bodied centre who can stop hard running centres and back rowers...keep up here NR.

I’m not calling for his dropping this week but I definitely don’t think it’s in the raiders interests to gloss over his shortfalls in the hope he can achieve some personal point scoring records.

We aren’t a premiership side yet but geez we are on the way up. I’m loving the forward pack, the halves are coming together but do need to improve. There is depth and quality in the back three. We don’t have the worst centres in the game but you’re kidding yourself if you think we have the best. If an opportunity comes up to recruit or develop a high quality centre it needs to be a decision made with head not heart.

The undying support given to anyone who has worn green or performed in green is genuinely nice to see but I want to see success and sadly that involves hard calls on good people and great club men. The fact that people are attacking my criticism of Croker by saying even if he can’t stop hard running centres he tries really hard tells me there isn’t a lot of objectivity being demonstrated.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Everyone on another Hurrell. Anyone want to talk about how Crokes has absolutely schooled James Roberts almost every time he's come up against him? Goes back to his titans days. I remember Jarrod giving him many a bath.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I've always had Croker above Roberts as a centre. His longevity and improvement over time plus consistency in form is levels above imo. I'd also trust his defence over Roberts any day.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 11:27 am

Freddy got the culture pretty right last time. If he decides Fergo is a better bet than Cotric to keep that going (when talent is on par and age favours Cotric) then Freddy is as dumb as he sounds (prepared to entertain the current argument that he is not dumb, just inarticulate on camera or on the spot).
I have to say from a Queensland point of view I'd absolutely LOVE to see guys like Dugan and Ferguson back in the team.
I'm a Blues fan and even though Fergo's card should've been marked for poor behaviour, you'd have a tough case finding a better right winger in the comp to start the season. He copped his setback against us but overall he's been really good and NSW don't have a massive amount of options. If I was Freddy he'd be playing as he gives you the best chance of winning, but he'd be on stern warning that he shouldn't even be getting a final reprieve. You could potentially play Cotric on the left and shift JAC to the right but you'd be shifting a player to the opposite side to their club footy and potentially having him mark Oates which is a horrible match up when you can just play Fergo there. I know there is a lot of hate towards the guy amongst the green faithful, he's NSW best right wing option IMO.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:35 pm I've always had Croker above Roberts as a centre. His longevity and improvement over time plus consistency in form is levels above imo. I'd also trust his defence over Roberts any day.
Rd 9 2015 v the titans. Crokes absolutely destroyed him in our 56-16 win. And that's just 1 example. If James Roberts is good enough there's absolutely zero doubt Crokes is good enough. Not an ounce of bias in that statement, just a fact. Although as I said, for purely selfish reasons I hope none of our blokes get picked. Papa is a no brainer, him being out will be hard enough to cover.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Woodgers wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:45 pm

I'm a Blues fan and even though Fergo's card should've been marked for poor behaviour, you'd have a tough case finding a better right winger in the comp to start the season. He copped his setback against us but overall he's been really good and NSW don't have a massive amount of options. If I was Freddy he'd be playing as he gives you the best chance of winning, but he'd be on stern warning that he shouldn't even be getting a final reprieve. You could potentially play Cotric on the left and shift JAC to the right but you'd be shifting a player to the opposite side to their club footy and potentially having him mark Oates which is a horrible match up when you can just play Fergo there. I know there is a lot of hate towards the guy amongst the green faithful, he's NSW best right wing option IMO.
Of course he is. He should be the 1st winger picked, he's a better all round winger then JAC imo.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Agreed. That comment Freddy made about rather going with a player he's coached in Cotric got me thinking there might be a chance of Cotric at right centre and Fergo and right wing, which I wouldn't mind as a combo. That would be two big bodies hard to contain and it would also give Cotric somebody with a fair bit of experience outside of him. I think Croker is good enough but I think he's suited to the left centre position.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:52 pm

Agreed. That comment Freddy made about rather going with a player he's coached in Cotric got me thinking there might be a chance of Cotric at right centre and Fergo and right wing, which I wouldn't mind as a combo. That would be two big bodies hard to contain and it would also give Cotric somebody with a fair bit of experience outside of him. I think Croker is good enough but I think he's suited to the left centre position.
I'd mind it. Who plays right centre for us v the dogs if Cotric gets picked?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hazza wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:48 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:35 pm I've always had Croker above Roberts as a centre. His longevity and improvement over time plus consistency in form is levels above imo. I'd also trust his defence over Roberts any day.
Rd 9 2015 v the titans. Crokes absolutely destroyed him in our 56-16 win. And that's just 1 example. If James Roberts is good enough there's absolutely zero doubt Crokes is good enough. Not an ounce of bias in that statement, just a fact. Although as I said, for purely selfish reasons I hope none of our blokes get picked. Papa is a no brainer, him being out will be hard enough to cover.
Wighton out would be the most annoying with us having to put up with a Williams/Sezer combo... I will be happy for him if he does though
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 11:09 am

A bigger bodied centre who can stop hard running centres and back rowers...keep up here NR.

I’m not calling for his dropping this week but I definitely don’t think it’s in the raiders interests to gloss over his shortfalls in the hope he can achieve some personal point scoring records.

We aren’t a premiership side yet but geez we are on the way up. I’m loving the forward pack, the halves are coming together but do need to improve. There is depth and quality in the back three. We don’t have the worst centres in the game but you’re kidding yourself if you think we have the best. If an opportunity comes up to recruit or develop a high quality centre it needs to be a decision made with head not heart.

The undying support given to anyone who has worn green or performed in green is genuinely nice to see but I want to see success and sadly that involves hard calls on good people and great club men. The fact that people are attacking my criticism of Croker by saying even if he can’t stop hard running centres he tries really hard tells me there isn’t a lot of objectivity being demonstrated.
It was a simple question. Have you got a name for us? I'll give you a kick start. Seb Kris fits your criteria. Do you believe he's a better option and lowers the risk of losing a big game?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hazza wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:54 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:52 pm

I'd mind it. Who plays right centre for us v the dogs if Cotric gets picked?
Kris or Oldfield
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:54 pm
Wighton out would be the most annoying with us having to put up with a Williams/Sezer combo... I will be happy for him if he does though
I reckon we could get by for 1 game with Sezer/Williams. Sezer hasn't played FG in a while, surely he'd be keen. If he's ever gonna have a good game... we're verrrrry thin out wide as it is atm though, can't really afford to lose Cotric. Even against the dogs.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hazza wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:58 pm
I reckon we could get by for 1 game with Sezer/Williams. Sezer hasn't played FG in a while, surely he'd be keen. If he's ever gonna have a good game... we're verrrrry thin out wide as it is atm though, can't really afford to lose Cotric. Even against the dogs.
We've got enough between Kris, Oldfield and Simonsson
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:00 pm
Hazza wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:58 pm
We've got enough between Kris, Oldfield and Simonsson
Rapana will be back by then. He has a 6 week injury so by Jordy's standards thats only 2 weeks out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders Origin chances

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii ready to squash the NSW Blues like pancakes

Canberra prop Josh Papalii was once capable of wreaking havoc after eating pancakes for breakfast, but Dave Shillington says his old teammate is even more devastating after learning to eat cleaner.

"I had to grow up pretty quick and now I know why guys like Shillo were so hard on me when I started at Canberra. He was so professional in his approach and helped me a with a lot of things off the field,” Papalii said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/21/pap ... -pancakes/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

#pillowtalk
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Don’t worry about Papa’s diet, whatever he is eating is clearly working for him. Just need to teach the big fella to stay clear of the goal posts!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

i don't think i'd pick Croker but he's a better option than a few names that are being thrown about, I mean if your picking Josh Morris ahead of him because of his defense you should probably have a look at his effort on Brendan Elliotts try this last weekend, Yes he made Brendan fricken Elliott look good, Josh Morris has been the definition of average for 5/6 years now, if not his entire career
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

kiwi raider wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:40 pm i don't think i'd pick Croker but he's a better option than a few names that are being thrown about, I mean if your picking Josh Morris ahead of him because of his defense you should probably have a look at his effort on Brendan Elliotts try this last weekend, Yes he made Brendan fricken Elliott look good, Josh Morris has been the definition of average for 5/6 years now, if not his entire career
I cannot believe that there are people out there who think an old busted hack like Morris is genuinely a better option.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:34 pm
zim wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:10 pm If you're keep Croker out of your origin team by comparing origin centres where does him giving Roberts a bath for his whole career fit in? He's done similar to Peachy and Walker.
I don't think he'll be picked but he'd do fine if he was.
Who are you talking to?
The posters not choosing Croker for origin by comparing him to guys like Gagai. Obviously not you.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:16 am on current trend Croker needs to play another 100 to 105 games to pass Cameron Smith as highest all time pointscorer. Based on Smith playing till end 2020 season.
Currently Smith averaging 6.3pts per match. Croker 8.5pts per match.
Will the body make 4 more seasons in the NRL?
Really needs to play some semi's
Croker to Roosters...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii says the Canberra Raiders come first as Origin talk ramps up

State of Origin ambitions will be put on the backburner until the Canberra Raiders can find the winning spark needed to stay in the NRL's top four, prop Josh Papalii says.

"We've lost two on the trot now and we don't want to make it three," said Papalii. "I'm not really focused on [Origin], I'm trying to put my best foot forward for the Raiders and hopefully we play well because we need the win.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Josh Hodgson backs Canberra Raiders team mate Jack Wighton for Origin utility role

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson says Jack Wighton should come into heavy consideration for a State of Origin utility role for New South Wales.

“I don’t really know if you want an Englishmen saying which Origin team should be picked,” Hodgson said. “But Jack Wighton has certainly been one of our best players this year."

Read more and audio interview: https://www.sportsradio.com.au/josh-hod ... lity-role/
Pilz
David Grant
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Pilz »

Billy Walker wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:09 am When it comes to picking origin teams or successful teams in general the selectors tend to choose players that can make tackles rather than those that don’t - no matter how bravely they try.

I think you have clearly made the case why Croker will never play State of Origin........

........Filter, Daley and everyone else who has overlooked him for NSW honours don’t have some bent against the raiders - they are purely picking the best teams and Croker isn’t part of that conversation beyond the GH.
Hmmm. I'd contend that neither Roberts or Mitchell are good at making tackles, nor do they bravely try to. Nevertheless they were the centres selected in last year's successful Origin team.