Canberra Raiders rewarded with representative honours

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Croker for Blues right centre?

Post by Sid »

julian87 wrote: May 20, 2019, 2:05 pm I don’t think size is an issue really because he’d probably be marking Michael Morgan.
I think the biggest concern with defending that side of the field is that it'll be Munster and Ponga running that left side channel, but I suppose that moreso comes down to the centre's decision making than their size.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: May 20, 2019, 2:58 pm
julian87 wrote: May 20, 2019, 2:05 pm I don’t think size is an issue really because he’d probably be marking Michael Morgan.
I think the biggest concern with defending that side of the field is that it'll be Munster and Ponga running that left side channel, but I suppose that moreso comes down to the centre's decision making than their size.
That pair would give anyone nightmares. :lol:

In all seriousnes though, Munster and Ponga are going to be causing problems for the edge forward and half defending that side. The right centre needs to focus on his own mark.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: May 20, 2019, 3:05 pm
Sid wrote: May 20, 2019, 2:58 pm
That pair would give anyone nightmares. :lol:

In all seriousnes though, Munster and Ponga are going to be causing problems for the edge forward and half defending that side. The right centre needs to focus on his own mark.
True, the damage caused by that duo will probably be done before it gets that far across the field.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fittler won't pick a Raider.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Yeah fair point but will they know that for sure when at the selection table? Morgan being played out of position would even up the margin for Croker changing sides too.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'd switch Latrell and play Croker on the left, will chambers switched to avoid Latrell hasn't he?
Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I wouldn’t pick Croker - he isn’t near good enough to play SOO.

He seems a nice fella and all but I truly don’t rate him much as a footballer. To be fair I acknowledge he’s having a good season but he’s my biggest worry come finals time - Konrad Hurrell has showed he can’t stop a hard running big centre.

I predict his defence will cost us a big game this year but it won’t be his fault, it’s always others that should have shuffled or covered or something.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 20, 2019, 4:53 pm I wouldn’t pick Croker - he isn’t near good enough to play SOO.

He seems a nice fella and all but I truly don’t rate him much as a footballer. To be fair I acknowledge he’s having a good season but he’s my biggest worry come finals time - Konrad Hurrell has showed he can’t stop a hard running big centre.

I predict his defence will cost us a big game this year but it won’t be his fault, it’s always others that should have shuffled or covered or something.
Aaaaaand that's about the point I stopped reading
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote: May 20, 2019, 3:12 pm Fittler won't pick a Raider.
will he pick 2?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Whats going on here lately ?

Croker is all round crap now..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

You reckon?

I can feel the hate coming out of Brandy's every pore but I never picked up a big anti-Raider side from Freddy. He struck me as more pragmatic. If we'd beat Rooters and Souffs I have no doubt there'd be a Raider in his squad.

Mind you by losing the two big games vs top sides we haven't any right for players to be demanding selection for NSW. Our standouts have been Papa, CNK and Bateman. Others might have had good games or good years but nothing better than others in the comp are having my a huge margin.

Jack is the only one I see mounting a very strong case but that's also a tactical what kind of bench he wants.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: May 20, 2019, 5:16 pm
You reckon?

I can feel the hate coming out of Brandy's every pore but I never picked up a big anti-Raider side from Freddy. He struck me as more pragmatic. If we'd beat Rooters and Souffs I have no doubt there'd be a Raider in his squad.

Mind you by losing the two big games vs top sides we haven't any right for players to be demanding selection for NSW. Our standouts have been Papa, CNK and Bateman. Others might have had good games or good years but nothing better than others in the comp are having my a huge margin.

Jack is the only one I see mounting a very strong case but that's also a tactical what kind of bench he wants.
Haven't you been paying attention?? EVERYONE hates the Raiders.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The Rickman wrote: May 20, 2019, 5:02 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 20, 2019, 4:53 pm I wouldn’t pick Croker - he isn’t near good enough to play SOO.

X2

Wasn’t Croker matching up against a current QLD Origin centre as recently as Saturday? I’d argue Croker caused more defensive headaches for Gagai than the other way around.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

You should have as it gets better. It cited his problem being a player who is no longer in the NRL. I can't speak for everybody but once finals come around I don't see Konrad Hurrell posing much threat.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:Jebus..... Aubusson equal with Cotric....
More concerning the love for Roberts. It's like suggesting Greg Eastwood for a rep jersey.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: May 20, 2019, 5:31 pm

You should have as it gets better. It cited his problem being a player who is no longer in the NRL. I can't speak for everybody but once finals come around I don't see Konrad Hurrell posing much threat.
I don’t mean to offend you fellas who have a serious man-crush on Croker - it’s just I prefer a centre who is.... better.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There's a big difference between having a "man crush" and having no idea, m8.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: May 20, 2019, 5:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 20, 2019, 5:31 pm

I don’t mean to offend you fellas who have a serious man-crush on Croker - it’s just I prefer a centre who is.... better.
Croker is one of the top centres in the NRL. We've already got one guy who is considered the best centre by many experts in the game in Leilua... I think you may need some more realistic expectations if you prefer a centre better than Croker in our team. We're not the Roosters... it would be ridiculous for us to have two top 5 centres in the one team.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 20, 2019, 5:22 pm

X2

Wasn’t Croker matching up against a current QLD Origin centre as recently as Saturday? I’d argue Croker caused more defensive headaches for Gagai than the other way around.
Before I make this point, I should state I'm of the view that Croker is good enough for Origin. If Mitchell were injured then Croker would be my first left centre pick for NSW. Not so sure about right centre though.

But just off the back of your point re: headache causing - my impression watching the game was that our left edge and Bunnies' right edge were both giving up a considerable amount of metres in the middle of the field. It seemed like there was a lot less movement (re: field position) on the side of the field where the Bunnies left edge and our right edge were playing as compared to the other side (Croker's side). I don't know if one was causing the other more headaches.

Although all of this probably has less to do with individual defensive issues and more to do with the teams being better in attack down those respective sides of the field.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If you're keep Croker out of your origin team by comparing origin centres where does him giving Roberts a bath for his whole career fit in? He's done similar to Peachy and Walker.
I don't think he'll be picked but he'd do fine if he was.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You reckon?

It has nothing to do with hating the Raiders. I just listened carefully to what he said on The Sunday Footy Show... and in response to a question about Croker and Cotric... he ummed and ahhed a bit and then said he thinks the Raiders' defence is suspect on the edges. Will watch closely etc... but he's already decided, was my take.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

zim wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:10 pm If you're keep Croker out of your origin team by comparing origin centres where does him giving Roberts a bath for his whole career fit in? He's done similar to Peachy and Walker.
I don't think he'll be picked but he'd do fine if he was.
Who are you talking to?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

James Roberts making the Origin team last year to me is Fittler's worst Origin selection so far. The fact that he's polling in third place for that Origin team list on the NRL website shows how little the average NRL fan actually knows about the game (the majority of fans must only be watching their own teams play or something).

Not only has he been terribly out of form this year and can't even make a struggling Broncos side, but he should have never been picked in the first place. He was in hot form when he was selected but he has always been an incredibly one dimensional player with dodgy defence. His speed is his greatest asset by far and the rest of his skills are bog average compared to other players in his position. He's the type of player only great coaches like Bennett can coach to perform at a consistent level each week.

In what world is it acceptable for a guy in his shoes to retain his spot?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

And to add to that - how can Fitter not select one of our guys on the basis that we aren't good enough defensively on our edges while he has selected players like James Roberts on an edge in the past? He's full of **** if that's his reasoning... we are one of the best defensive teams in the league looking at the stats.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I don’t think Fittler hates the Raiders at all and I know I’m in a minority but I think he’s got more footy smarts than most pundits in the game but poor articulation. I think he’s less likely to pick a Raider because he’s one of the most Sydney centric people in the game. Imagine the volume of NSWRL people giving him advice on their favourites.

I will always love watching Origin and support NSW but from a purely selfish point of view I’m not fussed about Raiders players making it. I recognise the mis-justice of our players not being selected over worse players but while we are where we are I see Origin as an opportunity for the Raiders to pick up points and confidence and F&A against weakened teams. Those above us will be weakened significantly. Origin will be there every year but opportunities like this year for the Raiders won’t be.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Agree on James Roberts, Pat.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Woodgers wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:52 pm I don’t think Fittler hates the Raiders at all and I know I’m in a minority but I think he’s got more footy smarts than most pundits in the game but poor articulation. I think he’s less likely to pick a Raider because he’s one of the most Sydney centric people in the game. Imagine the volume of NSWRL people giving him advice on their favourites.

I will always love watching Origin and support NSW but from a purely selfish point of view I’m not fussed about Raiders players making it. I recognise the mis-justice of our players not being selected over worse players but while we are where we are I see Origin as an opportunity for the Raiders to pick up points and confidence and F&A against weakened teams. Those above us will be weakened significantly. Origin will be there every year but opportunities like this year for the Raiders won’t be.
Agree 100%
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:11 pm
It has nothing to do with hating the Raiders. I just listened carefully to what he said on The Sunday Footy Show... and in response to a question about Croker and Cotric... he ummed and ahhed a bit and then said he thinks the Raiders' defence is suspect on the edges. Will watch closely etc... but he's already decided, was my take.
fair enough.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

greeneyed wrote: May 19, 2019, 5:21 pm Listening to Brad Fittler on The Sunday Footy Show, no Raiders are being picked. Says the Raiders defence around the edges is suspect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good. We need them for rd 12.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:11 pm
You reckon?

I heard him on TripleM and when’s sked about Fargo he said ‘he played well wary on, his games after injury were OK, but he’s up against another guys I’ve coached in Cotric so...’ it sounded like whichever position he had in mind for Fergo,Cotric already had. Not sure if he was thinking centre or wing though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Sounds like we're reading tea leaves.

Freddy got the culture pretty right last time. If he decides Fergo is a better bet than Cotric to keep that going (when talent is on par and age favours Cotric) then Freddy is as dumb as he sounds (prepared to entertain the current argument that he is not dumb, just inarticulate on camera or on the spot).
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Fittler set to lock in Blues team before final auditions

Brad Fittler and his Blues brains trust are expected to lock in their first Origin team as early as Wednesday, meaning this weekend's final auditions become all but redundant. Canberra's Jack Wighton is firming but for a bench spot, not centre.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fittle ... 51p9s.html

Mentions Wighton firming for a bench spot. I think he is, by some margin, the best for for that position.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:06 pm

X2

Before I make this point, I should state I'm of the view that Croker is good enough for Origin. If Mitchell were injured then Croker would be my first left centre pick for NSW. Not so sure about right centre though.

But just off the back of your point re: headache causing - my impression watching the game was that our left edge and Bunnies' right edge were both giving up a considerable amount of metres in the middle of the field. It seemed like there was a lot less movement (re: field position) on the side of the field where the Bunnies left edge and our right edge were playing as compared to the other side (Croker's side). I don't know if one was causing the other more headaches.

Although all of this probably has less to do with individual defensive issues and more to do with the teams being better in attack down those respective sides of the field.
Yeah, I think both teams favoured that side. Hodgo almost went exclusively left in the clutch.

What I meant was that Croker played the exact guy he’d most likely line up against in Origin and was at worst equal to him.

I’ve always thought Toots’ problem was that a lot of the things he does best are hard to measure and, for some people, even notice. This means he doesn’t get accurate credit for how good he is, which is exacerbated because he’s not physically imposing.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 20, 2019, 8:53 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:06 pm

X2

Yeah, I think both teams favoured that side. Hodgo almost went exclusively left in the clutch.

What I meant was that Croker played the exact guy he’d most likely line up against in Origin and was at worst equal to him.

I’ve always thought Toots’ problem was that a lot of the things he does best are hard to measure and, for some people, even notice. This means he doesn’t get accurate credit for how good he is, which is exacerbated because he’s not physically imposing.
I agree - he isn’t physically imposing and it is hard to see what he does best. But beyond that I’m sure he is lovely guy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Gagai has snakes for shoulders. I dont think he's any better than Croker as a footballer.