Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs
Saturday 18 May 7:35pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 5:05pm
Under 18s Girls Goulburn V Yass: 5:20pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Morning fog and frost. Sunny. Areas of fog and frost in the morning clearing to a sunny day. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 0 Max 20

Round 9 2019. Sydney Roosters 30 - Canberra Raiders 24. It was Magic Round... and a magical start to the match for the ladder leading Roosters. The Roosters thrived on the fast, dry track in warm conditions and had built a very big 30-6 lead inside 45 minutes. The Sydney outfit came ready to play, while the Raiders almost seemed awe struck by the occasion. Maybe it was Lang Park, Magic Round, playing the ladder leaders... take your pick. But a critical factor was the absence of John Bateman. He has been a key part of Canberra's new found intensity and desperation in defence. And in a number of tries scored by the Roosters, it was all too obvious that he was missing. The Raiders came back, but no team can give the Roosters a 24 point lead and expect to win.

More on Round 9: As I saw it

In Round 10, the Canberra Raiders return home to face the second placed South Sydney Rabbitohs. Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has shifted Nick Cotric to centre, given the Raiders will likely be without Joey Leilua (bulging disc) for the rest of the season. Bailey Simonsson takes over Cotric's wing spot, while Michael Oldfield deputises for an injured Jordan Rapana (posterior cruciate ligament strain). Sebastian Kris has been named to make his first grade debut on the interchange bench.

South Sydney will be without fullback Alex Johnston (knee), with winger Corey Allen taking over the No. 1 jersey. Mawene Hiroti has been included on the wing in his second NRL game. George Burgess has been named to start - but he has regularly swapped late with bench player Junior Tatola.

Late changes: The Raiders cut Emre Guler and Jack Murchie from the 21-man squad on Friday evening, with Royce Hunt and Aidan Sezer remaining on the extended bench. The Rabbitohs omitted Bayley Sironen and Tom Amone.

History: Canberra has won 32 of 55 games against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. The Raiders have won five of the past 10 matches - and have also won four of the past five. The Raiders lost the first match between the clubs in 2018, comprehensively beaten 42-22 at Gosford in Round 7. But in the return clash in Round 24 at Canberra Stadium, the Raiders produced one of their best performances of the 2018 season, defeating the Rabbitohs 24-12. The Raiders have won nine of the 14 matches played between the clubs at Canberra Stadium.

2018 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

2018 Round 24 Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

Form: Raiders: WWLWL
Rabbitohs: WWWWW

The Rabbitohs are on a five game winning streak, winning 32-16 against the North Queensland Cowboys in Magic Round on Sunday. The only team that they have lost to so far is the Manly Sea Eagles, by a point, in Round 4.

Betting: The Rabbitohs are $1.70 favourites in the match, while the Radiers are paying $2.15. The Raiders have a 2.0 points start in the line betting. The Raiders' odds have shortened slightly over the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between second (Rabbitohs) and fourth (Raiders) on the ladder. Canberra has a six and three record to open the season, while the Rabbitohs are eight and one. Canberra has won four of five games played at home, while the Rabbitohs have won four of five games played away. The Raiders have won only one of four games played against top eight teams, while the Rabbitohs have won one of two games against top eight opposition.

Only the Roosters have a better attacking record than the Rabbitohs so far in 2019. They have averaged 26 points (4.3 tries) this season, compared with the 22 points (3.6 tries) for the Raiders. Canberra's attack now ranks fifth in the league. The Storm is the only team with a defensive record better than the Raiders - indeed, up until last week, the Raiders had the best defence in the competition. Canberra has conceded 14.7 points (2.6 points) per game this year - but that just shades South Sydney's record (15.2 points and 2.7 tries conceded on average).

The teams have a similar completion rate (Raiders 78 per cent, Rabbitohs 77 per cent) and both average 10 errors per game. The Raiders are now the most penalised team in the competition - conceding an average of eight penalties per game, compared with six for the Rabbitohs. The Rabbitohs have averaged 52 per cent share of possession, the Raiders 51 per cent.

The Rabbitohs rank first in the competition for runs, running metres and line breaks. They average 1675 metres from 187 runs, compared with 1519 metres from 168 metres for the Raiders - and make five line breaks per game, compared with under four for the Green Machine. Both teams average around 32 tackle breaks per game, while the Rabbitohs average more post contact metres (449-431). The Rabbitohs make slightly more offloads (nine per game, compared with eight for the Raiders). The Raiders rank first for dummy half runs (16.4 per game), the Rabbitohs second (14.1).

According to Fox Sports Lab, both teams are top four for running metres conceded (Rabbitohs third, at 1330 metres per game, Raiders fourth, at 1343 metres per game). The Raiders have missed an average of 31 tackles per game, the Rabbitohs 28 - but the Raiders have a slightly better tackle efficiency rate.

Our tip: The Raiders face another big test against one of the powerhouse teams of 2019 this week. The Raiders have, however, been struck by injury, right at the worst possible time - not that any time is a good time for that to happen. Canberra has lost their entire right edge, with Joe Tapine, John Bateman, Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana all on the injury list. The injuries have no doubt impacted the Raiders' defence - and that showed last week against the Roosters. It doesn't get any easier this week, corralling the Rabbitohs' potent attack.

It's a match that features some great clashes in the key play making positions. Josh Hodgson and Damien Cook are two of the top three hookers in the world, while Jack Wighton, now settling well into the role of five eighth, comes up against one of the form halves of the competition, Cody Walker. It'll also be a big clash of the Englishmen in the forwards - a battle of Britain - with Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton lining up against South Sydney's Burgess brothers.

Canberra can win, and I'm tipping that they'll do it. But they can't afford the slow start they put in against the Roosters. They'll need to be switched on as soon as the whistle blows, and they'll need to minimise their errors and the penalties conceded. The Raiders defence will need to be a lot more intense than last week. But I am expecting the Raiders will bounce back at home in front of a very big crowd. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Jarrod Croker on the need to start well against the Rabbitohs: "Another big team. We've got a lot to work on after that, we didn't start the game well [against the Roosters]. We copped a couple of calls early on and didn't respond the way we should have. We spoke all week about starting well and getting away on teams, and they did the exact same thing to us."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Michael Oldfield
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Sebastian Kris
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Aidan Sezer
20. Royce Hunt

South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. Corey Allan
2. Mawene Hiroti
3. Kyle Turner
4. Dane Gagai
5. Campbell Graham
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. Thomas Burgess
11. John Sutton
12. Sam Burgess (c)
13. Cameron Murray

14. Junior Tatola
15. Mark Nicholls
16. Ethan Lowe
17. Liam Knight

18. Jacob Gagan
20. Dean Britt

Officials

Referees: Ben Cummins, Chris Butler
Sideline Officials: Nick Morel, Liam Nicholls
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Beau Scott

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersRabbitohs

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: 2019 Rd 10 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Post by Dusty »

Alex Johnston is reportedly in doubt with a knee injury.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Dusty wrote: May 14, 2019, 3:10 pm Alex Johnston is reportedly in doubt with a knee injury.

If he misses out you'd think it'd be Corey Allan to fullback with someone like Gagan to cover the wing
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for squad announcements and officials: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1659573
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Dusty wrote: May 14, 2019, 3:10 pm Alex Johnston is reportedly in doubt with a knee injury.

Out for 4 weeks, had surgery.
WorkChoice
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I'm.happy with that team, we can do this, we have 4 teams nipping at our heals, we really need to win this one

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Video referee..Beau Scott.

Jobs for everyone at the NRL it seems.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This better be good, I'm missing the election coverage for this..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

56th min: TRY!!!! CANBERRA RAIDERS NIC COTRIC

RAIDERS 22
SOUTHS 12
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Don’t forget people we would have lost by 50 if the Roosters didn’t get those injuries.
Still fragile in attitude when pressure is on. Bateman and BJ were so tough in def and we have lost that. Also no Rappa either. If and if rumours are true and A Reyna is out plus Sutton has a rib injury then maybe we can stay with them.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How much would we have lost by without our injuries?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: May 17, 2019, 1:42 pm How much would we have lost by without our injuries?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Dang. I was sure it was 44.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Ben Cummins has never done us any favors. Looks like we’ll be playing against 14 men again. 😱
Still I believe we can win. Strong mental attitude is as important as anything else.
Go Raiders 💚💚💚
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Green thumbs wrote: May 17, 2019, 4:42 pm Ben Cummins has never done us any favors. Looks like we’ll be playing against 14 men again. 😱
Still I believe we can win. Strong mental attitude is as important as anything else.
Go Raiders 💚💚💚
Good **** grief... is there a referee we don't **** whinge about??

It's a home game in front of what should be a packed house... we're going to get the majority of the rub of the green with the refs! Let's not whinge about every little decision they get wrong!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter:

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Emre Guler and Jack Murchie cut from the Canberra Raiders squad to face South Sydney Rabbitohs tomorrow night: http://ow.ly/G9SF50ufQfz

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Preview updated for squads, weather, betting.
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

Don’t suppose any one knows a place in Barcelona I can watch the game?

Or PM me for any other methods to watch game
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Just enjoy Barcelona is my tip
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can watch on line via the NRL's international subscription service: https://www.nrl.com/watch-nrl/
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day!

Still plenty of time before the game. Gonna have some beers.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

1992 wrote: May 18, 2019, 2:00 am Game day!

Possibly going off too soon? Just a thought.... it's 17 hours away!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

luffraider wrote: May 17, 2019, 7:51 pm Don’t suppose any one knows a place in Barcelona I can watch the game?

Or PM me for any other methods to watch game Image
No I don't.
Hope this helps.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

14 hrs till kick off..

#bleedgreen.

*dont forget to vote
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

I was talking to a few blokes over a beer last night. All 3 (including 1 Souffs fan) thought the Raiders were a real chance tonight.

I dig a little deeper and ask why?

‘They’re playing well this year’
‘ It’s in Canberra, it’ll be cold’
‘It’s a good time to get Souths (and the Roosters) with all their injuries ‘

WHAT??

I explained our injuries predicament and then had to explain the level of player we’re missing.

I guess the point of the story is that the average RL punter has little clue about the Raiders and their players

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Lui_Bon wrote:
1992 wrote: May 18, 2019, 2:00 am Game day!

Possibly going off too soon? Just a thought.... it's 17 hours away!
Pfffft, late starter I say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dusty wrote: May 18, 2019, 7:38 am I was talking to a few blokes over a beer last night. All 3 (including 1 Souffs fan) thought the Raiders were a real chance tonight.

I dig a little deeper and ask why?

‘They’re playing well this year’
‘ It’s in Canberra, it’ll be cold’
‘It’s a good time to get Souths (and the Roosters) with all their injuries ‘

WHAT??

I explained our injuries predicament and then had to explain the level of player we’re missing.

I guess the point of the story is that the average RL punter has little clue about the Raiders and their players

To be expected. Unless you read Canberra Times or are glued to Fox NRL channel you would have no idea what was happening at the Raiders.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
james.fethers
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by james.fethers »

-PJ- wrote:
luffraider wrote: May 17, 2019, 7:51 pm Don’t suppose any one knows a place in Barcelona I can watch the game?

No I don't.
Hope this helps.
watchnrl.com. But you gotta pay

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It's gone 11-30, shed door is up.

Big session though, 7-30pm kick off !!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

james.fethers wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

No I don't.
Hope this helps.
watchnrl.com. But you gotta pay

Hey Jimmy, when I was over in South Africa and Mozambique recently I signed up to watchnrl.com for a free 14 day trial and watched both games for free before cancelling it when I got back home. Didn’t pay a cent.

I recommend that, mate. Hope you’re well too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:It's gone 11-30, shed door is up.

Big session though, 7-30pm kick off !!
Haha yeah, I usually go to the pub about 1pm on a Saturday and am usually home by about 7ish. Not sure what to do today...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Game day. Woohoo. I hooe the referees have decided its our turn to win a game am i right fellow rugby league team supporters?
Dont delete this GE
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Thinking of driving down for the game today. Will it be cold or what?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Nights are starting to get crisp, supposed to be 3 overnight

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

A lot to play for tonight.

I hope the boys have a real siege mentality tonight. Should be emotional around the stadium.