Rabbitohs 13+
40%

Total votes: 10

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: 2019 Rd 10 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Post by Neeeegz »

Wiki Special wrote:At full strength which forward do we feel misses out? Obviously Papa, Hodgson, Sia, J. Bateman, Whitehead and Tapine are givens. Lui and Sutton have played great this year. Havili provides value in that he can play hooker. Young and Horsburgh have been outstanding as rookies.

Obviously all won't be fit every week but if so someone is going to be very unlucky. Or if we keep a back on the bench two players will be very unlucky.
Yep, the rookies have proven they are first grade players. The ceiling is up to them, they could be anything at this rate, superstars

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Coastalraider wrote:The biggest concern I have moving forward is that the style of play we are going wit this year is very very taxing - I’d like to look at a stat of how many teams have injuries after playing the raiders, and how many teams have a win after playing the raiders. From the little of other games I have seen this year, I’d say playing us is one of, if not the most physical match of the year. High pace, very high impact in collision.

It’s going to be hard to keep that intensity for another 20 weeks.
We have left a trail of destruction in our wake, raiders playing hard, like they used to. Great to see again

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Young feels undroppable to me at the moment. When a young player is on a roll like him you see how far it goes.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I definitely agree with that. Young, Lui and Horse all have worked hard and deserve their spots.

I don't think it would hurt Tapine to return through Mounties. If he starts ripping it up there then we can have this discussion.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: May 19, 2019, 8:38 pm Young feels undroppable to me at the moment. When a young player is on a roll like him you see how far it goes.
1000% agree. He seemingly gets better and better each week. This week he was... honestly incredible.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

If BJ is gone for the year and all others are available this is my best 17 at the moment

1. Nicoll - Klokstad
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Whitehead
12. Bateman
13. Tapine

14. Havili
15. Young
16. Soliola
17. Horsburgh

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

zim wrote:
Wiki Special wrote: May 19, 2019, 4:18 pm At full strength which forward do we feel misses out? Obviously Papa, Hodgson, Sia, J. Bateman, Whitehead and Tapine are givens. Lui and Sutton have played great this year. Havili provides value in that he can play hooker. Young and Horsburgh have been outstanding as rookies.

Obviously all won't be fit every week but if so someone is going to be very unlucky. Or if we keep a back on the bench two players will be very unlucky.
I doubt the back on the bench will keep up once we get Bateman or Tapine back. We'll be able to shift a second rower when a back goes down.
While the "Simonsson roving middle" tactic sounds like a great idea it doesn't seem like it's practically workable.

My Round 15 side would be:
1. CNK
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalli
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Whitehead
12. Bateman
13. Sutton

14. Havili
15. Horsburgh
16. Soliola
17. Tapine

I picked Oldfield over Simonsson for the bigger body. The talent is there but Simo looks like he needs another pre-season or at least in the short term needs to get to the ground quicker.

Tapine on the bench due to the lack of footy. He comes into the starting side after a few weeks and either Lui or Sutton drop to bench depending on form.

Horsburgh on the bench over Young as he provides more impact.

Young as first choice backup to any forward going down through injury or form.
Yep, I'll second this

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

raiderskater wrote:I definitely agree with that. Young, Lui and Horse all have worked hard and deserve their spots.

I don't think it would hurt Tapine to return through Mounties. If he starts ripping it up there then we can have this discussion.
I don't think he'll come back through Mounties but easing him in from the bench can't hurt after back to back injuries.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Time to vote for your favourite Canberra Raiders, #GreenNation!

Choose who should be in NRL Team of the Week: Round 10 - Vote now https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/19/cho ... -round-10/ via @NRL
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: May 19, 2019, 8:38 pm Young feels undroppable to me at the moment. When a young player is on a roll like him you see how far it goes.
Hmmm he was pulled back to Mounties once after some solid but 6/10 performances (fine for a bench rookie) but you're right he really showed something different vs Souths.

It may be better to leave Kris off the bench and keep Young in the mix- or start young and work Tapine off the bench (is he due back? I keep hearing different mail) than drop him right after he's just really getting started.

If it comes to it, I think Hors has shown more but Young looks the more solid of the 2- Hors could have gone either way with a couple of those ptb penalties and that's been in his game from day 1.

Do you feel he's shown more than Hors- in terms of hits, yards, attacking threat though?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think they are pretty close performance wise but playing different spots. Horsburgh got luck with one ptb but he hasn't had an error since the Titans game and only 2 penalties since the Storm when Ricky called him out on it. I think the worries on his discipline are a bit overstated.

As I mentioned I think Horsburgh is fighting Havilli for the 2nd middle spot and winning at the moment.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: May 19, 2019, 10:51 pm I think they are pretty close performance wise but playing different spots. Horsburgh got luck with one ptb but he hasn't had an error since the Titans game and only 2 penalties since the Storm when Ricky called him out on it. I think the worries on his discipline are a bit overstated.

As I mentioned I think Horsburgh is fighting Havilli for the 2nd middle spot and winning at the moment.
I am 99% sure Ricky isn't going to drop Havili who has been good all year, is the most experienced and versatile of the 3 and is a genuine hooker utility not edge/middle. Not to keep 2 rookies on the bench instead.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Neeeegz wrote: May 19, 2019, 8:34 pm
Wiki Special wrote:At full strength which forward do we feel misses out? Obviously Papa, Hodgson, Sia, J. Bateman, Whitehead and Tapine are givens. Lui and Sutton have played great this year. Havili provides value in that he can play hooker. Young and Horsburgh have been outstanding as rookies.

Yep, the rookies have proven they are first grade players. The ceiling is up to them, they could be anything at this rate, superstars

Horsburgh has been great but his temper gives away a few to many penalties in our half.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

BadnMean wrote:
edwahu wrote: May 19, 2019, 10:51 pm I think they are pretty close performance wise but playing different spots. Horsburgh got luck with one ptb but he hasn't had an error since the Titans game and only 2 penalties since the Storm when Ricky called him out on it. I think the worries on his discipline are a bit overstated.

I am 99% sure Ricky isn't going to drop Havili who has been good all year, is the most experienced and versatile of the 3 and is a genuine hooker utility not edge/middle. Not to keep 2 rookies on the bench instead.
Finally some sense. Havili is not being dropped nor should he be.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

KingDynamite wrote: May 20, 2019, 6:41 am
BadnMean wrote:

Havili stays for now, no way in hell you drop him and don't have a guy on the bench that can cover hooker and he'll be very unlucky to get dropped at all, but once Bateman returns he may miss out due to the fact that at a pinch Bateman can cover hooker in an emergency if Hodgson gets injured
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

kiwi raider wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

Havili stays for now, and he'll be very unlucky to get dropped but once Bateman returns he may miss out due to the fact that at a pinch Bateman can cover hooker in an emergency if Hodgson gets injured
What evidence do we have that Bateman can play hooker? It would also significantly weaken that edge to move Bateman. Havili stays on the bench, we need him to.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

KingDynamite wrote: May 20, 2019, 7:27 am
kiwi raider wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

Havili stays for now, and he'll be very unlucky to get dropped but once Bateman returns he may miss out due to the fact that at a pinch Bateman can cover hooker in an emergency if Hodgson gets injured
What evidence do we have that Bateman can play hooker? It would also significantly weaken that edge to move Bateman. Havili stays on the bench, we need him to.
Fairly certain he's played there for England(last part of the test against the kiwis in Denver) and possibly in Super league, the raiders website said as much when we first signed him, you'd only move him if there was an injury
Check out some of the highlights from our newest signing John Bateman. The England international can play in the second-row, in the Centres and has even spent time playing at Hooker!
https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... ighlights/
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'm going off the minutes. Since Horsburgh came back Havili has played 22, 23 and 15 vs 23, 38, 35 for Horsburgh. Clearly Havili is trending down and Horsburgh is preferred as the 2nd middle forward.

Yes Havili provides cover for hooker, but that's injury cover only with Hodgo playing 80. I think it's not that important, especially if Simonsson is on the bench. I am sure he could go to dummy half in an emergency with Bateman defending in the middle.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Havili is also the injury cover for the halves as we would see hodgo shuffle out. Havili is a diferebt body shape middle who gives us plenty of options. Hes the lock in 14 every week
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

simo wrote: May 20, 2019, 8:11 am Havili is also the injury cover for the halves as we would see hodgo shuffle out. Havili is a diferebt body shape middle who gives us plenty of options. Hes the lock in 14 every week
At full strength and fitness who misses out then? If the back on the bench persists, Havili is a must and Tapine starts then only one of Sutton, Horsburgh, Young can make it.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Dont persist with a back on the bench, sutton moves into prop rotation, bench havili, sia, lui and young/horse depending on form/fitness
Dont delete this GE
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: May 20, 2019, 7:42 am I'm going off the minutes. Since Horsburgh came back Havili has played 22, 23 and 15 vs 23, 38, 35 for Horsburgh. Clearly Havili is trending down and Horsburgh is preferred as the 2nd middle forward.

Yes Havili provides cover for hooker, but that's injury cover only with Hodgo playing 80. I think it's not that important, especially if Simonsson is on the bench. I am sure he could go to dummy half in an emergency with Bateman defending in the middle.
I agree with this. With everyone on deck Havilli gets squeezed out for mine.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Soliola can also play in the centres, and scored a try last time he did, if I remember correctly.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Full strength, my forward rotation is;

Hodgson - hooker
Papalii, Lui, Tapine - middles
J. Bateman, Whitehead - edge
Soliola, Sutton, Young, Horsburgh - bench
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

My full strength pack is thus:

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Lui
16. Soliola
17. Horsburgh
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I honestly have no idea how people have Tarps in the middle and Bateman on the edge. Bateman has proven he plays just as well up the guts and Tapine is CLEARLY an edge player.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders.com.au competition for Man of the Match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/

Round 10 Moment of the week: Sam Williams try: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -the-week/
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

The Rickman wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:09 am I honestly have no idea how people have Tarps in the middle and Bateman on the edge. Bateman has proven he plays just as well up the guts and Tapine is CLEARLY an edge player.
I disagree. Tapine has played well on an edge, no doubt. But I feel Bateman has been better in attack and defence on an edge. For mine Tapine isn't as quick laterally so I prefer him defending in the middle. Just a personal preference, respect your opinion too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wiki Special wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:14 am
The Rickman wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:09 am I honestly have no idea how people have Tarps in the middle and Bateman on the edge. Bateman has proven he plays just as well up the guts and Tapine is CLEARLY an edge player.
I disagree. Tapine has played well on an edge, no doubt. But I feel Bateman has been better in attack and defence on an edge. For mine Tapine isn't as quick laterally so I prefer him defending in the middle. Just a personal preference, respect your opinion too.
I disagree
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I'm with Rickman on this one...Tapine would be waisted in the middle. He has always been an edge player
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

I like tapine running at an edge but would prefer bateman defending on the edge. Is there scope for this?
Dont delete this GE
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

The Rickman wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:35 am
Wiki Special wrote: May 20, 2019, 10:14 am
I disagree
Which is fine.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I reckon Batemans form was slightly better on the edge compared to the middle though he's a gun wherever he plays, but I reckon we looked a better team overall with some more size in the middle when Sutton moved to lock so i'd really like to see us have a look at Tapine in that middle role with Bateman on the edge
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

For me Bateman is simply a better defender than Tapine out wide. Tarps has played fine in the middle whenever required to do so. I'm happier with Sammy and our right edge holding together more than I am with the extra attack having Tapine out wide would add.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Some very odd posts in this thread.

- Havili is an absolute locked down player in this team unless he absolutely falls to bits. I think once our injured forwards come back his role can and hopefully will be decreased.

But Jesus Christ guys imagine leaving him out for a 4th forward and Hodgson getting sent or failing an HIA in the 5th minute. Seriously think about it guys.

- also talk of carrying a back on the bench when Bateman (specifically) and Tapine are back is absurd imo. That’s the only reason we’re carrying one now. Stuart doesn’t want to use Hunt, Guler, Collins or Bateman if he can help it by the looks and Murchie is injured too.

- I don’t think Sutton is fighting it out with Horsburgh or Young either I think he’s picked well before them. I’d say if our pack gets back to full strength Young and Horsburgh fight it out for the 4th bench spot.

On Tapine. We really could use him for round 12 without Papalii.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.