10%
Rabbitohs 13+
40%

Total votes: 10

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 10 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Post by RedRaider »

We have had a chance to win both of our last two games. The fact some errors have been made in May of this competition, simply gives us something else to work on. The improvement is clear and hopefully will continue. The lessons learned will come in handy August/September/October.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Tough loss. As almost everyone has indicated, our forward pack really turned up last night, without Bateman and Tapine. I'd have loved to see JB ripping in that game. Oh well.

The turning point was William's terrible chip bomb in the second half, which was easily diffused in their in-goal. Souths went the length of the field in their 7 tackle set and took the lead. They then took the lead again after the winger lost control of the ball in scoring the try.

We created quite a few opportunities in attack and largely defended well, although they did make huge inroads attacking our left hand side defence in particular. It sucks that both our edges have been shot to pieces through injuries on that right hand side.

Great game. Tough loss. We really need to bounce back next weekend.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

-PJ- wrote: May 19, 2019, 6:32 am
scotchberry wrote: May 18, 2019, 9:26 pm What a loser club we are
You can go away, you won't be missed...
I’ll check in everyday just to say hi to you :hi :hi
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: May 18, 2019, 10:10 pm
dubby wrote:
KingDynamite wrote:By the way how good was Lui’s first stint tonight? In attack he did the tough stuff and continually found his belly. He was also really solid in defence.
He was really good

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
He’s always been good. Has been for three years now

People that want Lui out of the team are deadset idiots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I swear a lot of people just like to memorise bad games by players years ago and sweat on the opportunity to rip in any time one of their chosen scapegoat makes a mistake or two.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 18, 2019, 9:29 pm Just lacking a bit of firepower at the moment
Yeah, Leilua, Rapa and Bateman out hurts, but I still think we created more opportunities to score than Souths did.

They are a tough defensive team, probably the best in the comp in that regard. With a bit of luck we could have scored a few times there, especially Papa and Croker.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: May 19, 2019, 6:35 am I was very proud of the performance of the Raiders against Souths. Both sides down on players but what a tough, tenacious effort from both teams. The Raiders are now a 'hard to beat' side. I've been waiting years for such a squad to be developed. Things didn't go our way at a couple of crucial times. One was near the end of the game when JC was stripped of the ball. That's footy.

The other is something I will have a rant about. Papa is going for the line after a 'Hulk' run at the line only to be stopped by the goal posts from scoring a certain try. Since the time we have abolished touching the corner post as being out, it has always amazed me that we didn't remove the goal posts from the field of play. There is no other place on the field where the players don't get to decide the outcome of matches. Goal posts are a target for field goals and penalties and conversions. Imo they should not be determining whether tries are scored or not. We have tactical kickers aiming for them to hinder the defence. We have goal posts acting as immovable defenders. Why isn't the skill level of the players enough to decide matches? Why do we need fixed objects affecting a fluid game? Get them beyond the dead ball line and allow the players to determine the outcome of matches. Rant over.

The test for the Raiders is to be up for next week. Even more than the last two weeks, how we back up will determine our seasons' future imo. Replicate the form of the past 120 minutes of footy and we will go well. The good news is we have another home match and a full 7 day turn around before we face the Cowboys.
I'd like goal post bashing to become the new ref bashing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: May 19, 2019, 9:04 am
exrefhollywood wrote: May 19, 2019, 8:51 am Good game of football, but the difference between us and the good teams above us is that when the opportunity presents itself, they take it. Two weeks in a row we have not been able to nail the clutch play when we need to. :hmmm
I’m not sure you go from a bog average team to a genuine contender with the flick of a switch. Think of what we were serving up last year and consider how we are building this year. Agree we still seem a touch of Storm, Rooters and Bunnies but it’s a bee’s pecker and we are coming hard. Week on week seeing huge improvements across the park. A lot has been said about the pack but I thought Oldfield was great last night. Simmonsen was good Cotric showed great potential at centre and CKN continues to get better. Williams had a great game against quality halves and Jack hasn’t had a clanger in 3 weeks. There is a lot of room for growth in the team - continue like this and we are looking very good come September
That's what I'm seeing. Oldfield was good because he's a vey solid FG winger and a fairly poor FG centre.

You can sense the team know they are onto something are excited to be part of it. The improvement we get when Bateman comes back and Rapana might just give us the edge. If we have a threatening right side (Bateman/Rapana) in that game then imo we find one more try over the course of that game and win it.

Simonsen looks likely and by the time Rapana is due back we might know whether he's too good to leave out or Oldfield is the best option for the remainder.

On this Tapine debate... Ricky has set Havilii up for the impact forward role all off season + he is a good hooker cover. He hits hard in defence and adds spark to attack. Yes he dropped one. But the Hors and Young have a drop in them too. His form would have to dip considering his versatility and overall good play for him to miss out.

Sutton has been part of our improved middle defence. I think he stays.

Lui has been playing above what we thought he was capable of and that was his best game of the year. He's a year back from an ACL from memory so maybe this is him at his best, fully charged.

Bateman goes back to the right edge for me. He's brilliant there.

Tapine comes onto the bench in place of Young, simply because Young is an edge and we have two 80 minute edge studs. Tapine is in the middle rotation + edge cover. Sia, Havilii, Tapine, Hors is a bench with some serious oomph. One old warhorse in Sia, one young charger in Hors and two guys at their prime.

If he plays at his best then yes, Lui and Sutton will need to be at their absolute peak to keep him out but Tapine will also need to show he can maintain the defensive awareness those two have shown this season- more to middle defence tan just hitting, got to stay switched and get across to cover behind the ruck and pick the right runners.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves- the way seasons and injuries go the decision might never gave to be made.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

A couple of things:

Both teams had plenty of quality out of the game and will continue to miss players at crucial stages. That is where a certain amount of luck comes into the comp. hopefully we will be fine at the business end of the season.

Wighton has spent the past few seasons working on his sweep play to the left and continues to create doubt in defenders minds but we needed him to identify The mismatch between Cotric and Lowe earlier in the game.

In hindsight After such a physical encounter an extra middle would have benefited the team in that last ten minutes. As a few have said I don’t understand Kris’ selection Whitehead covers a centre injury.

A couple of posts have identified our lack of clutch play I would argue that it isn’t the case:

Crocker should have scored.
Wighton’s repeat set was first class.
Allan actually plucked the ball out of Young’s hands on that last play.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: May 19, 2019, 10:10 am

I agree and it's the point I've been making. There are some real whingers around here, but I get it - years of mediocrity makes it hard to be hopeful. But I feel pretty upbeat, given that even compared to the Storm game in round 2 you can see the improvement, and it's a young team with a way to go. The Roosters themselves were playing pretty average beginning of last season, and then came good later in the year. Things take a bit of time to gel.
:lol: I'm still scarred from previous seasons. I keep waiting for a dip in intensity or us to be exposed. But so far even if we lose, the standard of play is still high. Most teams playing #1 in the comp without their entire right edge would be picked apart. We were not and took it right to them.

We don't need to be beating these teams in the first 10 rounds given the significant positional and style changes we made over the off season (3 out of 4 new spine positions boys, ignore the other injuries because every club gets them). But in now that we've identified our top squad and best fill ins + got some games into them, developed a "character" and style of play and settled our combinations somewhat- by the last 2 months of the season we need to be winning those games or a good proportion of them to be real contenders.

Right now we are not in the very top bracket of teams. But in our favour are 3 quality international players to return; ever improving combinations in the rejigged line up/spine; key players like Jack and Charnze still on a personal upward curve individually and hopefully a resolve that continues to strengthen over the season as it gets into these guys hearts and heads that we ARE that good and now is the year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I finally see the reason for the hype around Horsburgh, he was very VERY good last night

I might be late to the party, but I show up eventually and drink everyone’s beers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 19, 2019, 12:39 am
KingDynamite wrote: May 18, 2019, 9:53 pm By the way how good was Lui’s first stint tonight? In attack he did the tough stuff and continually found his belly. He was also really solid in defence.
on a mission
Yep, we've now seen exceptional performances from all 3 of our current starting middles. Lui should take a lot of confidence out of that. Particularly from the consistently high level of defence.
Until this game he'd been solid but a step below the top packs.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Lui also seems to have developed that out the back pass. Good to have a couple of forwards who can pass before the line.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Did Hiroti have control of the ball when scoring that try ?

Did he ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

scotchberry wrote: May 19, 2019, 11:55 am
-PJ- wrote: May 19, 2019, 6:32 am
scotchberry wrote: May 18, 2019, 9:26 pm What a loser club we are
You can go away, you won't be missed...
I’ll check in everyday just to say hi to you :hi :hi
Ok. Look forward to it...
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

BVRaider wrote: May 19, 2019, 7:51 am The reality is that we've only won one game over the past month and it was against the worst side in the competition. We might be missing some important players but so were Manly, Roosters and now Souths and they all managed to beat us. We've reverted back to our old habit of losing close games but because of our decent start to the season it's getting overlooked, we are not that good and can still easily miss the finals if we don't turn it around quickly.
Do you know much about the game, apart from the final score?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Cranky Old Man wrote: May 19, 2019, 2:53 pm
BVRaider wrote: May 19, 2019, 7:51 am The reality is that we've only won one game over the past month and it was against the worst side in the competition. We might be missing some important players but so were Manly, Roosters and now Souths and they all managed to beat us. We've reverted back to our old habit of losing close games but because of our decent start to the season it's getting overlooked, we are not that good and can still easily miss the finals if we don't turn it around quickly.
Do you know much about the game, apart from the final score?
Fair dink BVR, other than Manly we have conquered all teams we've played who are not coming 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

We know we're we are at. Not at those 3 sides level but in it up to our necks. We still haven't played Cronulla and a couple of other contenders but geez mate relax and enjoy our team.

There's 8 losers every week..you can play well and lose. Would you rather we get lapped every week ?

Today we are 6/4. It could be a whole lot worse..we could be Penwiff !!!!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

There's no need to shout down someone because they have a different opinion.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Watched the game again. Hard not to be impressed by that effort. Souths are comfortably top 4 material and we easily kept it up with them, despite three of our best five out.

I'd say we're short of a middle of the range quality halfback and CNK improving his ball playing ability to become real contenders (aside from the injuries we have).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Our 4 losses this season have come against teams sitting 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th with Raiders taking 4th spot. 3 of those 4 losses were within 6 points. Shows we're up there with the best teams. Pretty happy with how things are going.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: May 19, 2019, 3:42 pm Our 4 losses this season have come against teams sitting 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th with Raiders taking 4th spot. 3 of those 4 losses were within 6 points. Shows we're up there with the best teams. Pretty happy with how things are going.
Absolutely...

Opposing teams will be doing their homework leading into playing us..

We will be ok !!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:There's no need to shout down someone because they have a different opinion.

WHO’S SHOUTING?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

At full strength which forward do we feel misses out? Obviously Papa, Hodgson, Sia, J. Bateman, Whitehead and Tapine are givens. Lui and Sutton have played great this year. Havili provides value in that he can play hooker. Young and Horsburgh have been outstanding as rookies.

Obviously all won't be fit every week but if so someone is going to be very unlucky. Or if we keep a back on the bench two players will be very unlucky.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The biggest concern I have moving forward is that the style of play we are going wit this year is very very taxing - I’d like to look at a stat of how many teams have injuries after playing the raiders, and how many teams have a win after playing the raiders. From the little of other games I have seen this year, I’d say playing us is one of, if not the most physical match of the year. High pace, very high impact in collision.

It’s going to be hard to keep that intensity for another 20 weeks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Wiki Special wrote: May 19, 2019, 4:18 pm At full strength which forward do we feel misses out? Obviously Papa, Hodgson, Sia, J. Bateman, Whitehead and Tapine are givens. Lui and Sutton have played great this year. Havili provides value in that he can play hooker. Young and Horsburgh have been outstanding as rookies.

Obviously all won't be fit every week but if so someone is going to be very unlucky. Or if we keep a back on the bench two players will be very unlucky.
Prior to this week I would have said Lui and Young. But both played their best games I've seen them play. Still, I'd have to say them.

By the time we are worrying about that question though either Lui will have kept up this excellent form or if he reverts to solid and serviceable then I just have to put Tapine in ahead of him because he is a potential game breaker. Mind you he'll also have to be maintaining a high standard.

The other one to miss out for me is Young. Doesn't offer the yards or offloads that Hors does and while both appear very good defenders Hors hits hard and has real mongrel. So I like Young but he'd miss out. Having Tapine in there means we have edge backrower cover anyway. Havilii also seems mobile enough to cover back row in a pinch.

Given how few minutes Havilii got, I think Ricky might stick with his back on the bench idea as the 4th forward will be wasted.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

The next two games are huge.

At 6-2 coming into a four game spell that included the Roosters and Souths, I think anyone would have taken 8-4.

It's going to be tough to replicate the effort from this game in the next two that will, presumably, have a lower intensity level.

If we miss that, it could easily be 6-6 and right back in the pack. If we don't - and I don't think we will - it'll be 8-4, which will soon turn to 10-4 and beyond.

This competition has three outstanding teams. Right now, the Raiders are showing to be the best of the rest and, with a bit of composure and no little luck, could beat anyone come finals time.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 19, 2019, 3:35 pm Watched the game again. Hard not to be impressed by that effort. Souths are comfortably top 4 material and we easily kept it up with them, despite three of our best five out.

I'd say we're short of a middle of the range quality halfback and CNK improving his ball playing ability to become real contenders (aside from the injuries we have).
100% agree. That decent NRL level halfback and whether George is the answer, and CNK developing a his ball playing are going to be major factors in our near future.
Not_Easy_Being_Green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Not_Easy_Being_Green »

Wont be this year, wont be next year but horsburgh has origin written all over him. He's a real goer and qld love that type of player.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Wiki Special wrote: May 19, 2019, 4:18 pm At full strength which forward do we feel misses out? Obviously Papa, Hodgson, Sia, J. Bateman, Whitehead and Tapine are givens. Lui and Sutton have played great this year. Havili provides value in that he can play hooker. Young and Horsburgh have been outstanding as rookies.

Given Hodgo plays 80 mins I’d be happy running without Havilli as a backup dummy half as I think Hors and Young offer more off the bench.

I also wouldn’t be calling Taps a lock in selection. In form, high quality Taps yeah but the injury prone, mixed form Taps with poor discipline not so much
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I doubt the back on the bench will keep up once we get Bateman or Tapine back. We'll be able to shift a second rower when a back goes down.
While the "Simonsson roving middle" tactic sounds like a great idea it doesn't seem like it's practically workable.

My Round 15 side would be:
1. CNK
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Cotric
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalli
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Whitehead
12. Bateman
13. Sutton

14. Havili
15. Horsburgh
16. Soliola
17. Tapine

I picked Oldfield over Simonsson for the bigger body. The talent is there but Simo looks like he needs another pre-season or at least in the short term needs to get to the ground quicker.

Tapine on the bench due to the lack of footy. He comes into the starting side after a few weeks and either Lui or Sutton drop to bench depending on form.

Horsburgh on the bench over Young as he provides more impact.

Young as first choice backup to any forward going down through injury or form.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think Simonsson stays on the bench when Rapana is back. Sure Havilli gives hooker coverage and can play middle but with 3 fit and mobile bench forwards I think the utility of Simonsson provides a lot more coverage and will at least justify the experiment.

It's very harsh on Havilli but he only got 15 minutes last night and I think he drops out if we are full strength with the last spot between Horse and Young.

It's a hypothetical anyway as there must be very few games a side is ever at full strength.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: May 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

Given Hodgo plays 80 mins I’d be happy running without Havilli as a backup dummy half as I think Hors and Young offer more off the bench.

I also wouldn’t be calling Taps a lock in selection. In form, high quality Taps yeah but the injury prone, mixed form Taps with poor discipline not so much
In my assessment of Taps I've assumed he will lift to near his best in response to the way the rest of the pack has. Hasn't played much footy this year though so might take him a couple of weeks to hit stride.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:The biggest concern I have moving forward is that the style of play we are going wit this year is very very taxing - I’d like to look at a stat of how many teams have injuries after playing the raiders, and how many teams have a win after playing the raiders. From the little of other games I have seen this year, I’d say playing us is one of, if not the most physical match of the year. High pace, very high impact in collision.

It’s going to be hard to keep that intensity for another 20 weeks.
Teams are 4 wins, 5 losses after playing us. Probably not a useful stat until the end of year and taken in comparison to all other sides.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Plenty to like. Papalli and Lui were in beast mode. Hudson young is a gun in the making. Horse is going to become a club legend. Bailey goes hard, Charnze is one guy I do have a man crush on.. when we get Bateman, rapana and Tapine back look out... I doubt we will see bj again this season ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

To answer my own question - I have to go with the kids (Horsburgh and Young) in my 17. After last night, it would be their spots to lose. The unlucky one for me would be Havili. No slight on him as a player, just a 'business' decision in favour of the youngsters really.

To be honest, I like the back on the bench idea. But how do we leave out another of the mentioned forwards? Good position to be in for our coaching staff.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

BadnMean wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: May 19, 2019, 9:04 am
exrefhollywood wrote: May 19, 2019, 8:51 am Good game of football, but the difference between us and the good teams above us is that when the opportunity presents itself, they take it. Two weeks in a row we have not been able to nail the clutch play when we need to. :hmmm
I’m not sure you go from a bog average team to a genuine contender with the flick of a switch. Think of what we were serving up last year and consider how we are building this year. Agree we still seem a touch of Storm, Rooters and Bunnies but it’s a bee’s pecker and we are coming hard. Week on week seeing huge improvements across the park. A lot has been said about the pack but I thought Oldfield was great last night. Simmonsen was good Cotric showed great potential at centre and CKN continues to get better. Williams had a great game against quality halves and Jack hasn’t had a clanger in 3 weeks. There is a lot of room for growth in the team - continue like this and we are looking very good come September
That's what I'm seeing. Oldfield was good because he's a vey solid FG winger and a fairly poor FG centre.

You can sense the team know they are onto something are excited to be part of it. The improvement we get when Bateman comes back and Rapana might just give us the edge. If we have a threatening right side (Bateman/Rapana) in that game then imo we find one more try over the course of that game and win it.

Simonsen looks likely and by the time Rapana is due back we might know whether he's too good to leave out or Oldfield is the best option for the remainder.

On this Tapine debate... Ricky has set Havilii up for the impact forward role all off season + he is a good hooker cover. He hits hard in defence and adds spark to attack. Yes he dropped one. But the Hors and Young have a drop in them too. His form would have to dip considering his versatility and overall good play for him to miss out.

Sutton has been part of our improved middle defence. I think he stays.

Lui has been playing above what we thought he was capable of and that was his best game of the year. He's a year back from an ACL from memory so maybe this is him at his best, fully charged.

Bateman goes back to the right edge for me. He's brilliant there.

Tapine comes onto the bench in place of Young, simply because Young is an edge and we have two 80 minute edge studs. Tapine is in the middle rotation + edge cover. Sia, Havilii, Tapine, Hors is a bench with some serious oomph. One old warhorse in Sia, one young charger in Hors and two guys at their prime.

If he plays at his best then yes, Lui and Sutton will need to be at their absolute peak to keep him out but Tapine will also need to show he can maintain the defensive awareness those two have shown this season- more to middle defence tan just hitting, got to stay switched and get across to cover behind the ruck and pick the right runners.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves- the way seasons and injuries go the decision might never gave to be made.
Yep, agree with that fully.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk