Canberra Raiders looking to re-sign Jordan Rapana

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Peter
Jason Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders looking to re-sign Jordan Rapana

Post by Peter »

I would not swap either of our wingers for anyone else in the comp. Give him 2 years with an option in the clubs favour for a 3rd. Don’t forget he re-started his career relatively late after his debut with the Titans. The core of this squad surely want to win a premiership together. There’ll be a huge changing of the guard in the next 3-5 years but for now we need to keep everyone except a halfback.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think he will get some really big offers. Wingers are over the 500k mark now and I could see a side like the Titans offering him a lot.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

It is a must to re-sign Rapana.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Such a hard cap management issue when we also have Cotric (who should be on far less, given his achievements but who might also get big offers), SImmonsen look more likely each game and it's just silly to have all your cam wrapped up in wingers.

Given Rapana's attitude and leadership- the guy literally chases down 1000:1 backward bounces on 1000:1 skewed miss field goals in the final seconds to win games; plays on with fractured skulls; rehabs so professionally he's back months early AND is arguably the best winger in the game at his best -which he is still at for another year or two then surely he's a keeper. He's tp drawer in every single department of winger play AND he's a guy you'd want in the trenches alongside you.

He influences games on the regular from the wing. None of his injuries seem chronic or repeated or part of a pattern of declining games per season. Make him a very good offer, not insane and I think he will stay.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

money and years will need to be carefully considered imo.
I've said my piece about this in other threads, i think it's worth discussing from a roster building perspective if we should be paying top dollar for a winger... but he's a fan favourite, he's a great club man and still an elite player at his position, so i understand why the club and most of the forum feel this is a no brainer.

Edit: and if we nut out a deal, i'll certainly be fine and happy about it. I love Raps, and i love cheering for him. He's the sort of dude you love watching play. My views on this aren't anti Rapana, but more just feeling like the long term roster construction of this team merits a deeper conversation on a 30 year old winger, even one as wildly awesome as Raps.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:37 pm money and years will need to be carefully considered imo.
I've said my piece about this in other threads, i think it's worth discussing from a roster building perspective if we should be paying top dollar for a winger... but he's a fan favourite, he's a great club man and still an elite player at his position, so i understand why the club and most of the forum feel this is a no brainer.

Edit: and if we nut out a deal, i'll certainly be fine and happy about it. I love Raps, and i love cheering for him. He's the sort of dude you love watching play. My views on this aren't anti Rapana, but more just feeling like the long term roster construction of this team merits a deeper conversation on a 30 year old winger, even one as wildly awesome as Raps.
Certainly valid. That's why it's hard when we have good young wingers too. But if we are in our "window" this year and more likely next... He could be crucial.

So what is the going rate for a top winger at 30 years? 2 years at 400k? 1 year at 500k and he can take his chances on renegotiating again if he ha a blinder? I'm just guessing. Anyone have other players as a guide?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah it's a good question and one i considered when posting that
Blake Ferguson reportedly signed a 3 for 1.5m deal, he's a year younger, a little more durable but has other concerns that Raps doesnt have... i think 2 years, 900k would be a deal i'd table, and yet i feel that's weirdly disrespectful for a player and clubman like Raps.
500k a year in a 10mil cap, over 30 players is probably ok.

I would cap it at 2 years though. I wouldnt be willing to bet on an outside back being a stud at 32 going on 33.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fair enough that the concern is his value towards the end of the contract given he's in the later years of his career. Why not structure a deal that reflects it? E.g. $1.5m over 3 years paid as $650k yr 1, $500k yr 2 and $350k yr 3.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I know we need to manage the cap but Rapa is a must.

Got a little bit of knowledge about this and my impression is he really wants to stay. Not saying he'll sign for unders, just that he's not going to play hardball to squeeze every dollar out of the club.

Confident this can work for both parties.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I really haven't a clue on our cap situation given our recruiting. Unless we are somehow short of money we should be keeping him and on a good deal.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Excellent player who gives his all for the club. Priority re-signing.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m with Piggy on this one - we need to tread carefully here and make a smart call.

Yes there is much love for Raps but as a bit of context there is also fast growing affection for CNK and J Bateman. Neither of these lads have even turned out 10 games in green. My point is if we pay overs for Raps we will never know what we might of missed in terms of unearthing the next CNK or Bateman.

If the price is right lock him in but if he’s asking overs make a tough call with head over heart.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

It's easy to say re-sign him but the question is value. 500k if Fergo is on 500k= get it done.

But 750k? Hmm that's tough. Someone else might come in and say Jordy, be our FB for 750k and it wouldn't shock me if some clubs did offer that. Should we match it? Maybe not.

The scaled deal NR talks about that equates to 500k per year sounds like it might please all concerned- its pretty long term, will be deflated a bit by a bigger cap + leave us room to move in later years. Or just 500k for 2 with a 3rd year option in clubs favour at 500k?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

As players get older they get injured more.

That’s the biggest thing for me is whether we are just putting our cap into the sideline.

The other thing for me is someone mentioned a player option. Imo no player option if you can avoid it.

It just kicks you around completely unnecessarily.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

papabear wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:34 am As players get older they get injured more.

That’s the biggest thing for me is whether we are just putting our cap into the sideline.

The other thing for me is someone mentioned a player option. Imo no player option if you can avoid it.

It just kicks you around completely unnecessarily.
Don't see that happening. Player options are usually there to try an lure a player to your club. They generally don't come into play for veterans looking to re-sign.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: May 15, 2019, 3:49 am It's easy to say re-sign him but the question is value. 500k if Fergo is on 500k= get it done.

But 750k? Hmm that's tough. Someone else might come in and say Jordy, be our FB for 750k and it wouldn't shock me if some clubs did offer that. Should we match it? Maybe not.

The scaled deal NR talks about that equates to 500k per year sounds like it might please all concerned- its pretty long term, will be deflated a bit by a bigger cap + leave us room to move in later years. Or just 500k for 2 with a 3rd year option in clubs favour at 500k?
There's no way he'll be re-signed at 750k. I reckon his deal will be about 500k a season for two years and I reckon that'll be spot on. Make it happen, everybody.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I dont think we should be paying rapana the same amount parramatta have had to pay fergo to leave a premiership winning sode to go to them
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: May 15, 2019, 11:21 am I dont think we should be paying rapana the same amount parramatta have had to pay fergo to leave a premiership winning sode to go to them
500k is what we should be paying him.

500k.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:00 pm Yeah it's a good question and one i considered when posting that
Blake Ferguson reportedly signed a 3 for 1.5m deal, he's a year younger, a little more durable but has other concerns that Raps doesnt have... i think 2 years, 900k would be a deal i'd table, and yet i feel that's weirdly disrespectful for a player and clubman like Raps.
500k a year in a 10mil cap, over 30 players is probably ok.

I would cap it at 2 years though. I wouldnt be willing to bet on an outside back being a stud at 32 going on 33.
Ferg has played 79 games in the last 3 and a bit seasons vs 78 for Rapana. Roosters have played a few more finals games in that period so durability is a wash IMO.

I think 600k is the ticket for Rapana. We've all seen how the Warriors attempt to become a cut throat high performing organisation by chopping one of their best performers has backfired on them. Rapana is one of our best performers week in and week out, he brings an excellent attitude every game day.

Besides, we should have some cap space free'd up by moving Sezer on shortly :hmmm
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

would happily pay 500k for Rapana, I think it'd cost more than that to get a similar level player to move to Canberra, significantly more probably
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kiwi raider wrote: May 15, 2019, 1:13 pm would happily pay 500k for Rapana, I think it'd cost more than that to get a similar level player to move to Canberra, significantly more probably
Fair point. Rapana is one of the best wingers in the game. Think about who would be an adequate replacement then figure how much it would cost to bring that player to the Raiders. Sure wouldn't get much change from the numbers being floated.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think we'd be giving Simonsson and Oldfield the spot if Rapana went. Get another backup winger and the cap moves elsewhere. Likely for someone to partner Papalii.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

We look pretty good in the middle for the first time in a while, nice mix of sizes and pay cheque’s and ages
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Maybe on paper. We've been beaten up the middle in the first 20mins by the top teams. If Souths also do it we'll have a trifecta of examples that there's a definite hole in our roster, or a problem with how the 17 is organized for those top teams.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Some talk Oates will get 700k. Seems crazy but if he got that Rapa must be worth a million.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:08 pm I think we'd be giving Simonsson and Oldfield the spot if Rapana went. Get another backup winger and the cap moves elsewhere. Likely for someone to partner Papalii.
Yep - I’m with you here Zim. Could use another quality front rower or a new 7. Not smart locking up big dollars in a winger.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He isn't just a winger. He is the best winger.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

NRL 360 saying Corey Oats is going to be offered $750k a season from another club. Now this will be his manager talking it up to push a deal with the Broncos. I think $1.5 million over 3 years is a fair deal.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Oates is Brisbane’s best player.

I would have Oates up there as one of the top wingers in our game with raps right behind vunavalu.

Oates is also younger and not injured compared to raps.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Both Oates and Rapa are also happy to take a slight discount from top dollar to stay at their respective clubs. Oates I think would end up around 1.4 for 2 years. Rapa may want a 3 year deal.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Billy Walker wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:33 pm
zim wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:08 pm I think we'd be giving Simonsson and Oldfield the spot if Rapana went. Get another backup winger and the cap moves elsewhere. Likely for someone to partner Papalii.
Yep - I’m with you here Zim. Could use another quality front rower or a new 7. Not smart locking up big dollars in a winger.
I think you've misread me there. I want Rapana to stay. That's my first choice. I expect us to give him a competitive offer. Not 700k. That's just silly and paying that for a winger is not where any team should be putting their cap. I also expect him to be more motivated to stay here.
If Rapana does move on then we look at plan B and moving the cap space elsewhere in the team.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

kona_dream wrote: May 15, 2019, 10:44 pm Both Oates and Rapa are also happy to take a slight discount from top dollar to stay at their respective clubs. Oates I think would end up around 1.4 for 2 years. Rapa may want a 3 year deal.
Are they?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:No doubt Raps is a great player and has a couple of good years left in him but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to keep him. Make him a good fair offer and see where it lands. I wouldn’t go more than 2 years.
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:33 pm
I think you've misread me there. I want Rapana to stay. That's my first choice. I expect us to give him a competitive offer. Not 700k. That's just silly and paying that for a winger is not where any team should be putting their cap. I also expect him to be more motivated to stay here.
If Rapana does move on then we look at plan B and moving the cap space elsewhere in the team.
Yep - I’m on the same page. The guy is great and it would be a great result to keep him but the price has to be right. It head over heart stuff. Make a reasonable offer and be prepared to let him go if he’s asking the sort of money that should otherwise be reserved for spine players, an elite forward, or apparently Cory Oates?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

This discipline should be applied to all signings not just rapa. That said, rapa is one of very few players that turn up every week. He is exactly the type of player we want at this club and there should be absolutely no reason why we'd need to offer him stupid money to keep him.