Canberra Raiders looking to re-sign Jordan Rapana

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders looking to re-sign Jordan Rapana

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:32 am How do you think Rapana would look in red?

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Gold Coast Suns. Its all starting to make sense now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:44 am
T_R wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:32 am How do you think Rapana would look in red?

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Gold Coast Suns. Its all starting to make sense now.
It's the only move that makes sense.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Man Utd are getting a bit desperate.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rapana to communism?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: July 9, 2019, 7:58 am
Ruben Daley wrote: July 8, 2019, 8:50 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 8, 2019, 7:54 pm
Sydney_Raider wrote: July 8, 2019, 1:08 pm Remember when he has some of the worst hands in the NRL. He certainly turned that around (he needed to). Sad if he moves elsewhere but I can understand the reasoning. Simmonson has been a pleasant surprise although I saw signs against Parra he may be getting a little over confident. We also have guys like Niko and Satini at Mounties.
He's just finding his range between keeping it tight so as not to let anyone down but also being able to display and use the skill set he has- which coming from rugby 7s is probably broader than just - ruck out, tackle.

One of the gorgeously refreshing things about Jordy Raps was his "rugby mindset" where he knew when advantage was being played and would take a risk-free punt on an outrageous play. Plus his ability to kick creatively at full pace, throw great passes etc etc. He had more strings to his bow than the run of the mill NRL winger. I think Simonsen has more than he's shown us but like Rapana it might take a season or so to dial it in.
Already using past tense for Rapa, BnM?
Good catch. I'd love him to stay but I think there might be clubs who get nearer to his asking price than we can. And it's his last big contract. So I'd love him to stay but not confident. Preparing for him to go mentally.

It'll be a nice surprise for me if he and Joey go around for us again next year.
I love those two and think they've got more to offer. But I can also see the business side of things and, like you, have slowly started to mentally prepare for Rapa to go.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Lurker reporting Rapana is highly likely to Warriors

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dusty wrote: July 11, 2019, 10:34 pm Lurker reporting Rapana is highly likely to Warriors

So you can rule out the Warriors then
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: July 7, 2019, 5:00 pm “Rapana at her best”?

Jesus Seiff, that’s pretty harsh and a little bit sexist!
If the dress fits...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fox Sports reporting close to re-signing Rapana. Offers made to Williams and Hingano (?)

Canberra Raiders move closer to locking in off-contract star Jordan Rapana on a new deal

Canberra is hopeful of re-signing winger Jordan Rapana on an extended two-year deal. The Raiders are in discussions with the player’s representatives and have tabled an offer to retain the services of the New Zealand international. The 29-year-old is off contract this year but is said to be keen on remaining in the ACT.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d97ad09603

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I guess that suggests Sezer will be moving on. The better he plays the better offers he’ll get so that’s fine. Move some dollar off the cap and Williams on backup money. If I was a real hardnut ceo I’d offer both my backup halves 150k at the same time and keep the first one to accept the offer. 4th half spot goes to the next junior prospect.

Good news if we can retain Jordy. It’ll be a real good squad.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Agree bnm. All positive moves by the club.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I love the Rapa, at his best still a game changer
Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Feels like overkill to keep both Hingano and Williams.
I'd like to get away from Williams, a lot the fan base has a weird fettish for him. The moment George has a bad game or if he doesnt start off as well as we'd hope, those cowards will be calling for Sam to get his 857th crack at FG.
We need to move on from him IMO and replace him with Hingano or some other decent back up.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

PigRickman wrote: July 22, 2019, 8:07 pm Feels like overkill to keep both Hingano and Williams.
I'd like to get away from Williams, a lot the fan base has a weird fettish for him. The moment George has a bad game or if he doesnt start off as well as we'd hope, those cowards will be calling for Sam to get his 857th crack at FG.
We need to move on from him IMO and replace him with Hingano or some other decent back up.
has hingano been better then williams.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote: July 22, 2019, 8:23 pm
PigRickman wrote: July 22, 2019, 8:07 pm Feels like overkill to keep both Hingano and Williams.
No idea. Don't really watch Mounties. But that's irrelevant to me. Sam Williams cant cut it as a regular FG half. We need to move on, the fan base needs to move on. Take a punt on some kid, or find some other back up half who's as capable as a spot starter as Sam Williams (of which there are many btw) and just get away from this.

Whoever that is. I dont want Sam Williams OR Aiden Sezer here next year. I want this job to be George's and i really dont want to be coming to the GH if George starts off slowly and going through another Sam Williams fiasco.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Great to hear about Rapana :thumbsup

I’m ok with Sam Williams sticking around. As a stop gap when injury/rep duty strikes, he’ll be fine. He has been around our system for a long time, he knows his role is as a backup and doesn’t overplay his hand.

He will likely never feature in finals footy, so I’m not too concerned.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No he hasn't. He seems like a great young bloke, as is Sam. But Sam has been much better on the field, and Ata has been injury prone.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I take it Ohagan must be moving on?

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: July 22, 2019, 8:29 pm
No idea. Don't really watch Mounties. But that's irrelevant to me. Sam Williams cant cut it as a regular FG half. We need to move on, the fan base needs to move on. Take a punt on some kid, or find some other back up half who's as capable as a spot starter as Sam Williams (of which there are many btw) and just get away from this.

Whoever that is. I dont want Sam Williams OR Aiden Sezer here next year. I want this job to be George's and i really dont want to be coming to the GH if George starts off slowly and going through another Sam Williams fiasco.
Completely agree with this. There are definitely other halves out there with brighter prospects who could be signed on similar coin... time to move on for sure
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Some quality paranoia from ol' Piggles above :lol:

Considering it's the second starting halfback Sticky has bought whilst Sam has been here, George is going to have to be VERY bad for Sam to come in and replace him. Sticky has to get this one right after the failure of Sezer and the club has worked months to get this deal over the line. I'll keep my expectations of him low for now, but if he can come in with a quality short kicking and support the play well he'll be a good portion of the way there.

In terms of who stays, I would really have liked to see Hingano get a run in the halves for first grade but it now doesn't seem likely. I'm not keen on taking chances on an unknown quantity being our main backup. Sam's not going to set the world on fire but he'll be cheap, professional, and comes with experience. You don't make these signing with the view of them playing every week - it's for emergency. And if we're in a tense dogfight of semi-final with the match going down to the wire, I sure as hell have more faith in Sam right now than Ata.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I've said before. I'd like a decent utility on the roster. Somebody who could fill in a spine position or even play no14 if justified. A Wighton Lite if you want to think of it that way. None of Sezer, Hingano or SWilliams fits that category. Doesn't have to be a potential superstar. Just somebody who can fill in when needed.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

So basically the halves capable version of Siliva Havili.

Off contract we have:

Ben Hampton
Ryley Jacks
Te Maire Martin (currently has health problems)
Brad Takairangi

That may potentially be suitable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:39 pm So basically the halves capable version of Siliva Havili.

Off contract we have:

Ben Hampton
Ryley Jacks
Brad Takairangi

Hampton would be useful. Can play anywhere in the backline plus hooker. Injuries have hindered him.
Jacks maybe.
Te Maire Martin I don't rate.
Takairangi is more an edge player. Has played 5/8 before and been ordinary.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd let Sam Williams walk and take Ryley Jacks on the same coin every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Otherwise i dont need a utility to upgrade Havilii, i've come to really like what he gives us as a change of pace hooker who can play good minutes as a middle
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:So basically the halves capable version of Siliva Havili.

Off contract we have:

Ben Hampton
Ryley Jacks
Brad Takairangi

I'd only be remotely interested in Jacks out of that bunch

Takairangi sucks as a half, he sucks as a centre and he doesn't seem like he'd fit the culture

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I cant see any changes other than Sezer and probably Ohagan moving on. Sam and Hingano will be the back up’s for G Williams and Jack because both would be on pittance! They more than likely would replace Ohagan with one of our 20’s.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Baptiste was huge for us in 2016. I like that type of impact dummy half off the bench. In the absence of that, Havili does an excellent job IMO and can readily cover the back row positions.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Scrap williams and hingano, give jacks sams money and bring young matterson in on atas
Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Riley Jacks is an absolute spud I’m glad we dodged that bullet. Was the typical well he played some solid first grade for Melbourne he must be good.

I’d be ok with retaining Williams and Hingano but they’d need to be on really, really low coin. And I doubt either would be getting offers from anyone so maybe that happens. For me it’d be a matter of offering them near minimum wage contracts and they either accept or walk. As I’ve said on numerous occasions there’s prbably the biggest dearth of NRL halves atm so the back ups are just about the worst I’ve ever seen them as well.

You could run with the idea of promoting a junior there but if you don’t have one you can’t promote one.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:13 pm I'd let Sam Williams walk and take Ryley Jacks on the same coin every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Otherwise i dont need a utility to upgrade Havilii, i've come to really like what he gives us as a change of pace hooker who can play good minutes as a middle
Didn't Ryley Jacks knock us back last year when he would have likely been offered a starting spot? He won't be coming.

It took two years of insipid performances from Sezer for people to want to see Williams get a run, so Gdub has a lot of rope.

Williams and Hingano much of a muchness to me. I'd be happy if we retained Hingano, rep period this year shows how important defence is during this years as most outfits struggle to bludge their way to more than 20 points. Hingano the superior defender from what I have seen.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'd absolutely keep Sam Williams.
I love him as a player. He has some really excellent points about his organising and attacking game, that just do it for me.
He is the absolute king of NRL 'pinch hitting'. His ability as a player grows the longer he is out of First grade and then drops dramatically the longer he plays NRL.
Give him 2-3 games a year and he is the greatest halfback in the NRL !!

The Paul Osborne of halfbacks if you will.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:13 pm I'd let Sam Williams walk and take Ryley Jacks on the same coin every day of the week and twice on sunday.

I'm not talking about upgrading or replacing Havili. He's a great no14 because he can play middle and relieve at hooker if needed. I just think we could do with a utility back playing at the Mounties. Preferably one that can play half. Always useful to have somebody like that in the roster.

Also helps free up cap space the more positions they can fill on the depth chart. Means you can have more payers near the minimum in your extended squad.

Edit: maybe Hingano is that guy. He has played wing and hooker in 1st grade. :D
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:47 am

Didn't Ryley Jacks knock us back last year when he would have likely been offered a starting spot? He won't be coming.
Yeah maybe not. He might not have a ton of other offers though
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Beejay wrote: July 24, 2019, 9:44 am I'd absolutely keep Sam Williams.
I love him as a player. He has some really excellent points about his organising and attacking game, that just do it for me.
He is the absolute king of NRL 'pinch hitting'. His ability as a player grows the longer he is out of First grade and then drops dramatically the longer he plays NRL.
Give him 2-3 games a year and he is the greatest halfback in the NRL !!

The Paul Osborne of halfbacks if you will.
:shock:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: July 22, 2019, 8:29 pm

I don’t disagree with you here Piggy, but I will point out this sensible approach you have spelt out here is 100% the opposite of what you are saying on the Croker thread where you insist we can’t even question JC unless we can identify a better ready made replacement. I know your position on JC and let’s not go over old ground on this thread - just saying I prefer the approach you’ve proposed here.