Re: Joey Leilua cleared to return to training

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: July 26, 2019, 5:19 pm
Finchy wrote: July 26, 2019, 4:56 pm
Matt wrote: July 26, 2019, 4:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2019, 3:16 pm
Matt wrote: July 26, 2019, 12:52 pm

I wouldnt be surprised to see BJ on the pine next wk TBH
Would they bring him back via the bench? I would have thought he either starts or has a game or 2 at Mounties.
Last time he returned from a long injury Ricky used him as the fresh legs BR for a couple of wks.

It's more about being mentally ready than it is physical TBH.
When did he have a long injury last time? And what's BR?
Was a while ago. Early 16 maybe late 15.
BR, is backrow
I don't recall Joey missing more than 1 game for us over the years. He played the last 6 games of the year in 2015 for the Raiders after leaving the Knights. In 2016, 2017, 2018, he played 25, 24, and 24 games.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Pick that one from the back of the net Matty boy !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Matt wrote:
Dusty wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:38 pm My source was good then I guess. Great to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I wonder if we know the same person?!?
PM

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Matt wrote: July 26, 2019, 12:52 pm
Green Blogger wrote: July 26, 2019, 11:02 am Plan on Joey and Cotric both returning for Roosters game. Two big ins for our two biggest games heading into the finals.
I wouldnt be surprised to see BJ on the pine next wk TBH
Would they bring him back via the bench? I would have thought he either starts or has a game or 2 at Mounties.
Last time he returned from a long injury Ricky used him as the fresh legs BR for a couple of wks.

Bayerischer Rundfunk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: July 26, 2019, 5:30 pm
Matt wrote: July 26, 2019, 5:19 pm

Was a while ago. Early 16 maybe late 15.
BR, is backrow
I don't recall Joey missing more than 1 game for us over the years. He played the last 6 games of the year in 2015 for the Raiders after leaving the Knights. In 2016, 2017, 2018, he played 25, 24, and 24 games.
Hmmmm...
Maybe I dreamt it.
I'm sure BJ played BR off the bench at some point.

EDIT: He did, game 1 for us. That's it. So I dreamt it.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

He would have missed another game in 2016 if we had beaten Melbourne.

So would the other centre.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Bay53 wrote: July 27, 2019, 3:44 pm He would have missed another game in 2016 if we had beaten Melbourne.

My logic says yes but my emotion suspects that both Joey and Jarrod would have held the team physio to ransom until they were strapped to the nines and jabbed full of painkillers so they could play. I just cannot imagine either of those two missing the big dance if they could help it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

raiderskater wrote: July 27, 2019, 4:34 pm
Bay53 wrote: July 27, 2019, 3:44 pm He would have missed another game in 2016 if we had beaten Melbourne.

My logic says yes but my emotion suspects that both Joey and Jarrod would have held the team physio to ransom until they were strapped to the nines and jabbed full of painkillers so they could play. I just cannot imagine either of those two missing the big dance if they could help it.
Yeah i think they both would have played, and i think they both would gotten carved up playing 80%
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Has BJ been sighted since the injury? I can’t recall seeing him in the stands or around training or in the coaches box. It feels like he has vanished from the time he got injured till the time he’s recovered. Probably a good approach to have a total break from all things footy for a while and come back fresh in every way if that’s what’s he’s done? Has anyone seen him at functions or the Hall of Fame event?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: July 28, 2019, 10:45 am Has BJ been sighted since the injury? I can’t recall seeing him in the stands or around training or in the coaches box. It feels like he has vanished from the time he got injured till the time he’s recovered. Probably a good approach to have a total break from all things footy for a while and come back fresh in every way if that’s what’s he’s done? Has anyone seen him at functions or the Hall of Fame event?
I've seen him a couple of times in the stands. Followed Rapa up while he was injured too
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

how realistic is it that he can come back this season?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zilhouse wrote: July 28, 2019, 10:58 pm how realistic is it that he can come back this season?
50/50.

Bumped into some senior Raiders figures in Darwin a few times over that weekend. They weren't confident at all at that stage that he would play at all this season. Were concerned enough for his career/life that there was no way anyone was pushing for an "aggressive" recovery strategy in his case.

Considering how early other players have come back this year, I guess we have an idea of how that has been achieved with some "aggressive" treatment schedules whenever possible.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hearing he will go to Auckland. Some saying he might play Mounties next week.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2019, 12:56 am Hearing he will go to Auckland. Some saying he might play Mounties next week.
I think they'll want him to have about 2-3 games for mounties to make sure he's up to it fitness wise. If he comes through the second game alright, he'll be back in the side
But he could still be as much as a month away from FG.
Good news if he should be well rested and ready to explode in the final 6-8 weeks of the comp
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m torn on him in reserve grade. He’s the sort of player that could and would be targeted by some brain dead numpty there trying to prove a point.

I’d bring him back in via first grade with either Simonsson/Young/Kris/Oldfield taking Gulers spot.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: July 29, 2019, 8:12 am
greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2019, 12:56 am Hearing he will go to Auckland. Some saying he might play Mounties next week.
I think they'll want him to have about 2-3 games for mounties to make sure he's up to it fitness wise. If he comes through the second game alright, he'll be back in the side
But he could still be as much as a month away from FG.
Good news if he should be well rested and ready to explode in the final 6-8 weeks of the comp
I see both Ryan Sutton and Joey Leilua stayed back in Canberra yesterday. I know Ryan Sutton was hoping he'd only miss two weeks...

Maybe they're not as close as next week. Anyway, make of that what you will!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: July 29, 2019, 8:17 am I’m torn on him in reserve grade. He’s the sort of player that could and would be targeted by some brain dead numpty there trying to prove a point.

I’d bring him back in via first grade with either Simonsson/Young/Kris/Oldfield taking Gulers spot.
Nothing would shock me tbh
he could start next week, come off the bench or begin his return through mounties. I favour mounties just because Beej is the sort of guy i think you'd want to make sure if up to it cardio wise after such a long lay off.
And maybe that's unfair because it's about his reputation as a trainer, which has never been great and maybe that's different here. But thats how i see it as a fan, if the coaches are comfortable with his fitness levels to play 80 at a high level, then so be it
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Run him through Mounties for a week or 2 to get some fitness and beat up on some spuds then throw him back in full of confidence

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Scoring some tries in Mounties would do the world of good for confidence as well.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: July 29, 2019, 8:17 am I’m torn on him in reserve grade. He’s the sort of player that could and would be targeted by some brain dead numpty there trying to prove a point.

That's how I would do it too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'd bring him straight back into the NRL starting team, but he needs to be 100% ready to go, his neck needs to be absolutely ready.

If it's not 100%, no point playing him in Mounties.

It would be ideal if he got a game against the Warriors before our next two tough games, I'm sure the coaching staff agree.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: July 29, 2019, 10:39 am I'd bring him straight back into the NRL starting team, but he needs to be 100% ready to go, his neck needs to be absolutely ready.

If it's not 100%, no point playing him in Mounties.

It would be ideal if he got a game against the Warriors before our next two tough games, I'm sure the coaching staff agree.
Agree with this.
No point risking him with Mounties.
Get him physically and mentally ready (take a few weeks if needed) but straight into First Grade.
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

Awesome he'll be back so quick for what he had. Hes one of the most exciting players in the NRL when hes on
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Flog him on the training paddock to make sure he is fit enough.
BJ don't need no Mounties games
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Just did a quick wiki, 199 games which we knew but scored 30 tries in 54 games at Newcastle is impressive, 39 in 86 for us is excellent still. I suppose his assists for Rapa are probably enormous.
Other thing of interest is he's 186cm 106kg, Meninga wasn't any bigger.
Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Beejay wrote: July 29, 2019, 1:39 pm Flog him on the training paddock to make sure he is fit enough.
BJ don't need no Mounties games
Damn straight BJ dont need no mounties. Just like BJ dont need no NSW Blues extended squad. :roflmao
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

bonehead wrote:Just did a quick wiki, 199 games which we knew but scored 30 tries in 54 games at Newcastle is impressive, 39 in 86 for us is excellent still. I suppose his assists for Rapa are probably enormous.
Other thing of interest is he's 186cm 106kg, Meninga wasn't any bigger.
Surely they just didn't update Meninga's stats as he got bigger

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

After the Warriors, we've got the Roosters at home, followed by Storm in Melb and then Manly at home.

I'd wait until the Manly game before bringing him back. (We need fit players against Roosters and Storm). I'd have Oldfield on the bench against Manly just in case of an injury among the backs 'coz how many times has the side played like **** when they've had to cover for an injured centre during a game?

Manly at GIO at 4pm on a Sunday. Should be packed stands, great atmosphere and if the results go our way, maybe playing for 2nd spot on the ladder.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'd wait until the Manly game primarily because I don't trust Cam Smith as far as I could throw him.

He would. We know he would.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Lui_Bon wrote:How good is Jordan Rapana going to feel if he has Joey inside him at centre!

I expect his performances will get better...
Mate, this is a G rated forum...
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote: July 30, 2019, 7:02 pm I'd wait until the Manly game primarily because I don't trust Cam Smith as far as I could throw him.

He would. We know he would.
Good grief.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'My darkest day': Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua says family comes before NRL

Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua says the neck surgery that almost ended his career was one of his "darkest days".

"I just woke up with a sore neck. I couldn't sleep all night, I stayed awake until 9am when I saw the doctor," Leilua said. "I was trying to hold a tough face. Four days later we got the scan and realised something pretty bad was wrong with it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... efore-nrl/

AUDIO: Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua speaks about neck surgery: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07/31/new-page6/