Joey Leilua cleared to return to training

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Joey Leilua has successful surgery, but out for the season

Post by Johno »

Geez, if his attitude was right, BJ could do some serious damage coming off the bench!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

This is not something we need to face into for a while unfortunately. But assuming that cotric continues his form from the bunnies game you'd have to consider keeping him at centre. If BJ can reproduce his form from earlier in the year he also demands a starting centre role. I'd personally be inclined to move Croker to wing and shift cotric to left centre.
Last edited by FROG on May 21, 2019, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Oh oh. Croker to wing just sighted. We'll just have to see how BJ's neck goes and whether Cotric can outplay a Dally M centre of the year first.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Jarrod Croker is not a winger and it should never even be a suggestion to move arguably our most consistent player of the past 5 years anywhere but #3. Stop insulting the bloke.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Peter wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:02 pm Jarrod Croker is not a winger and it should never even be a suggestion to move arguably our most consistent player of the past 5 years anywhere but #3. Stop insulting the bloke.
Its not an insult in 2019. Catch up please. If youcant move forward and adapt you are wasting your time
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

How did a thread about Leilua being out for the season lead to a discussion about moving Croker to the wing? :lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

To allow for cotric to remain in centres if he kills it. Not a giant step
Dont delete this GE
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:19 pm
Peter wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:02 pm Jarrod Croker is not a winger and it should never even be a suggestion to move arguably our most consistent player of the past 5 years anywhere but #3. Stop insulting the bloke.
Its not an insult in 2019. Catch up please. If youcant move forward and adapt you are wasting your time
Move forward and adapt? Why does Croker need to adapt to being a winger when he is an out and out centre, and has been his entire career? Fair dinks, some of the things that get thrown up around here sometimes. Why don’t we move Wighton to second row, Whitehead to bench utility, Leilua to 5/8 to accomodate Cotric at centre? Can’t believe no one thought of that yet!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Peter wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:53 pm
Move forward and adapt? Why does Croker need to adapt to being a winger when he is an out and out centre, and has been his entire career? Fair dinks, some of the things that get thrown up around here sometimes. Why don’t we move Wighton to second row, Whitehead to bench utility, Leilua to 5/8 to accomodate Cotric at centre? Can’t believe no one thought of that yet!
That's just crazy enough to work. I like the cut of your jib.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Well i can tell you’re definitely worth discussing things with. Great insights....
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:23 pm To allow for cotric to remain in centres if he kills it. Not a giant step
There's nothing about Croker's game that would make him a decent winger.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:59 pm
Well i can tell you’re definitely worth discussing things with. Great insights....
If the conversation is about Croker moving to the wing, the discussion ended before it begun.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Peter wrote:
You know what kind of thinking that is? That's Premiership Thinking.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Send Joey to KFC and we have ourselves an impact prop.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

MrPosh wrote:Send Joey to KFC and we have ourselves an impact prop.
Just sign his brother. Slightly bigger but also with a good offload.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Let me start by saying I honestly believe BJ to be easily top 5 center in the game for years.
But if BJ is on the rumoured $800k as a strike centre, which is entirely possible, then some tough decisions need to be made over the next 12 months if Cotric kills it.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Beejay wrote: May 22, 2019, 10:00 am Let me start by saying I honestly believe BJ to be easily top 5 center in the game for years.
But if BJ is on the rumoured $800k as a strike centre, which is entirely possible, then some tough decisions need to be made over the next 12 months if Cotric kills it.
I havent read 800k anywhere??? Hes 650k tops which would be inline with croker and i think he is a better centre than crokes
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:19 am
simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:23 pm To allow for cotric to remain in centres if he kills it. Not a giant step
So now you want to drop our captain entirely if cotric shows hes a better centre than him? Youve lost the plot
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:21 pm How did a thread about Leilua being out for the season lead to a discussion about moving Croker to the wing? :lol:
They all end up there eventually.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm sorry Simo. I tried to entertain the scenario that was suggested. Clearly it's beyond some people to deal with hypotheticals. Fortunately (or unfortunately) this won't be something we'll need to face into in 2019. Hopefully Croker and cotric play so good for the remainder of the year that not even BJ could warrant either of the being moved...
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

FROG wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:10 pm I'm sorry Simo. I tried to entertain the scenario that was suggested. Clearly it's beyond some people to deal with hypotheticals. Fortunately (or unfortunately) this won't be something we'll need to face into in 2019. Hopefully Croker and cotric play so good for the remainder of the year that not even BJ could warrant either of the being moved...
Thank you for not having your opinion so deeply engrained in your mind that you see it as the only possible option.
I hope its something we need to deeply consider, either at the end of this year, or the start of next.
Last edited by simo on May 22, 2019, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Even if Cotric wins the Dally M from his current position we'll be 1-5 next year the same as this, assuming Rappa is re-signed. If Rappa ends up leaving and that gives Leilua cause to want out or to follow his mate we'll see Cotric move into the centres as the obvious replacement.
If Ricky was to shuffle things after discussing it with the players it won't be Leilua that is moved. Croker is so far above him as a winger it's not funny.
Then you've got Cotric at left centre and that whole Zoolander thing he's got going on with his passing. Still a lot of improvement there.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

zim wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:48 pm Even if Cotric wins the Dally M from his current position we'll be 1-5 next year the same as this, assuming Rappa is re-signed. If Rappa ends up leaving and that gives Leilua cause to want out or to follow his mate we'll see Cotric move into the centres as the obvious replacement.
If Ricky was to shuffle things after discussing it with the players it won't be Leilua that is moved. Croker is so far above him as a winger it's not funny.
Then you've got Cotric at left centre and that whole Zoolander thing he's got going on with his passing. Still a lot of improvement there.
Poor cotric wasnt born an ambi-passer.
I think it would be negligent of ricky not to havethat convo if cotric kills it
Dont delete this GE
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

MrPosh wrote: May 22, 2019, 7:14 am Send Joey to KFC and we have ourselves an impact prop.
:lol:

"We"? Are you finally officially on board, MrPosh?

:welcome:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: May 22, 2019, 11:00 am
Seiffert82 wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:19 am
So now you want to drop our captain entirely if cotric shows hes a better centre than him? Youve lost the plot
I haven't lost anything.

In this hypothetical situation for next season, my opinion is that I don't think Croker would be a very good NRL winger. What you might gain in Cotric being a better centre than Toots, you'd likely lose more in Toots being a worse winger than Cotric.

I just don't see Croker as a quality NRL winger in this day and age.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

EJ wrote: May 22, 2019, 11:01 pm
MrPosh wrote: May 22, 2019, 7:14 am Send Joey to KFC and we have ourselves an impact prop.
:lol:

"We"? Are you finally officially on board, MrPosh?

:welcome:
Pretty much.

In the extremely unlikely event of a WCC against Bradford, I'm always with the Bulls - but in the meantime, and as I've been following the comp more closely this year, it's good to have some skin in the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:The Greenhouse on Facebook

Could Joey Leilua make it back early?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1999117358
linky no worky
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Does for me. Go to The Greenhouse Facebook page or Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheGHRaiders ... 5335984128
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I went there myself, maybe I don't follow the page
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joey Leilua taking small steps towards Canberra Raiders return

It's another small step for Canberra Raiders star Joey Leilua as he continues his comeback from a serious neck injury. He's started neck strengthening exercises - but coach Ricky Stuart isn't worried about a timeframe for his return, with only focus on "getting his body right".

"He's in rehabilitation mode at the moment. The most important thing is our high-performance team is bringing him along slowly and trying to give him the best rehab possible in regards to his latest operation," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: July 6, 2019, 9:05 pm Joey Leilua taking small steps towards Canberra Raiders return

It's another small step for Canberra Raiders star Joey Leilua as he continues his comeback from a serious neck injury. He's started neck strengthening exercises - but coach Ricky Stuart isn't worried about a timeframe for his return, with only focus on "getting his body right".

"He's in rehabilitation mode at the moment. The most important thing is our high-performance team is bringing him along slowly and trying to give him the best rehab possible in regards to his latest operation," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
So..he'll be right for StGeorge..

Our medical staff are miracle workers.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

BJ given doctor's clearance to resume full training. NRL physio suggesting 2-3 weeks till return.

Canberra Raiders star Joey Leilua cleared to return to training following back surgery

Joey Leilua has been given medical clearance to resume training and will push to return this season just three months after undergoing spinal surgery.

“Joey met with the doctors today and the news is positive for both Joey and his family, but also the entire Raiders club,’’ Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said. “The specialists are happy with everything which will allow Joey to commence training.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a525b86ebf

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... bdt7c7algj

Canberra Raiders star Joey Leilua set to return this season

Canberra Raiders star Joey Leilua is set to play again this season after his specialist gave him the all clear to increase his training.

"BJ's had a very positive response from his specialist today, which is really good news for us to continue and upgrade his training," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... is-season/

@nrlphysio on Twitter

Joey Leilua is hopeful of a return this season after he received medical clearance to resume training today (via
@DaveRic1. Currently 12wks since he required surgery on a herniated and bulging disc in his neck. Usual return to play for these surgery types is from 12wks onwards
Dont delete this GE
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

First reaction: *excited gasp and big grin*

Second reaction: Oh no, don't rush it Joey, please don't rush it, take your time on this one...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Joey Leilua cleared to return to training

Post by GreenMachine »

Very good news. Great to hear Joey is well. Easy to fear the worst in those situations.
Added bonus if he plays this year.