Magic round

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13410
Joined: February 26, 2010, 6:01 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Canberra :(

Re: Magic round

Post by Green eyed Mick » May 11, 2019, 3:25 pm

edwahu wrote:
May 10, 2019, 8:16 pm
The field is looking pretty rough already.
Plenty of divots all over the field. It's going to be a paddock by the time the weekend is over.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126194
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 11, 2019, 3:34 pm

It is certainly in awful condition already.
Image

cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10922
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by cat » May 11, 2019, 4:10 pm

Triple m saying 25 thousand in the crowd for dogs/knights game

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


Danaman137
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 573
Joined: February 29, 2016, 8:09 pm
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske
Location: Canberra

Re: Magic round

Post by Danaman137 » May 11, 2019, 4:16 pm

cat wrote:Triple m saying 25 thousand in the crowd for dogs/knights game

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Not a chance


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10922
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by cat » May 11, 2019, 4:40 pm

Danaman137 wrote:
cat wrote:Triple m saying 25 thousand in the crowd for dogs/knights game

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Not a chance


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe they are all out the back at the bar.....

Triple m saying its a great success " let's do it every week"

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


Timbo
David Furner
Posts: 3129
Joined: January 6, 2005, 9:42 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Here

Re: Magic round

Post by Timbo » May 11, 2019, 4:55 pm

If this was being played in a region that wasn’t league heartland like Melbourne or Perth I could see the value. I’m pretty certain that’s what they do in the Super League.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30432
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by dubby » May 11, 2019, 7:28 pm

Yeah it is a bust.

Queenslanders only care about QUEENSLANDER.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6946
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by gergreg » May 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

dubby wrote:Yeah it is a bust.

Queenslanders only care about QUEENSLANDER.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
They hold it at Homebush they probably get double the crowd.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4625
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Magic round

Post by Dusty » May 11, 2019, 8:00 pm

For sure


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Oldfield (Rapana) 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Lui

User avatar
yurithe1
David Furner
Posts: 3160
Joined: March 16, 2008, 10:27 am
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Hodgson
Location: Canberra

Re: Magic round

Post by yurithe1 » May 12, 2019, 10:31 am

Dusty wrote:
May 11, 2019, 8:00 pm
For sure


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Commentators keep saying that Sydney crowds don't like to travel. That's why people there keep agitating for suburban ground games.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).

Danaman137
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 573
Joined: February 29, 2016, 8:09 pm
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske
Location: Canberra

Re: Magic round

Post by Danaman137 » May 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

Image

That’s a dodgy looking pitch. Looks worse irl. Gonna be tough getting tackled in the middle of the field.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6946
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by gergreg » May 12, 2019, 1:38 pm

Danaman137 wrote:Image

That’s a dodgy looking pitch. Looks worse irl. Gonna be tough getting tackled in the middle of the field.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like the old Capital golf course, just chuck a bucket of sand into the divets.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15147
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by yeh raiders » May 12, 2019, 4:28 pm

Never again please.

A double header will do, that’s enough magic there.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21651
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Magic round

Post by Seiffert82 » May 12, 2019, 5:34 pm

Great surface.

Kind regards,

Jordan Rapana

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5772
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Magic round

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » May 12, 2019, 6:34 pm

One interesting thing about Magic Round is we can finally compare NRL attendance to V8 Supercars. When V8s announce their official crowds as being the highest in Aus sport, it’s usually met with claims the numbers are skewed because they run all weekend.

So with that said, total attendance of Magic Round was 134,677.

V8 Supercars weekend attendances in 2017 (First article I could Google admittedly)
Melbourne GP: 272,000
Adelaide: 272,000
Bathurst: 204,512
Newcastle: 192,242
Gold Coast: 186,259
Townsville: 142,478
Average that year was 116,000 per event.

So their claim has legs


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19362
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Magic round

Post by Dr Zaius » May 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:One interesting thing about Magic Round is we can finally compare NRL attendance to V8 Supercars. When V8s announce their official crowds as being the highest in Aus sport, it’s usually met with claims the numbers are skewed because they run all weekend.

So with that said, total attendance of Magic Round was 134,677.

V8 Supercars weekend attendances in 2017 (First article I could Google admittedly)
Melbourne GP: 272,000
Adelaide: 272,000
Bathurst: 204,512
Newcastle: 192,242
Gold Coast: 186,259
Townsville: 142,478
Average that year was 116,000 per event.

So their claim has legs


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That's a lot of bogans in one spot.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43051
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Magic round

Post by The Rickman » May 12, 2019, 8:43 pm

God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Danaman137
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 573
Joined: February 29, 2016, 8:09 pm
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske
Location: Canberra

Re: Magic round

Post by Danaman137 » May 12, 2019, 8:46 pm

The Rickman wrote:God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went. Didn’t like it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Brew
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6706
Joined: June 4, 2005, 11:35 am
Favourite Player: Blake Austin
Location: Bondi Junction

Re: Magic round

Post by Brew » May 12, 2019, 9:02 pm

The Rickman wrote:God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heard Fox say it was locked to Suncorp for the next 2 years, someone might confirm?

I like the concept, just not a fan on playing on that surface after 6 games. It’s looked like a good carnival atmosphere.
I’m spewing I knocked back free flights and tickets up for all 4 days through work, it looked like a good atmosphere


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19362
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Magic round

Post by Dr Zaius » May 12, 2019, 9:05 pm

I'm all for it, so long as we can play in the first couple of days
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126194
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 12, 2019, 9:26 pm

The Rickman wrote:God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126194
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 12, 2019, 9:27 pm

Brew wrote:
The Rickman wrote:God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heard Fox say it was locked to Suncorp for the next 2 years, someone might confirm?

I like the concept, just not a fan on playing on that surface after 6 games. It’s looked like a good carnival atmosphere.
I’m spewing I knocked back free flights and tickets up for all 4 days through work, it looked like a good atmosphere


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Locked next year. Queensland Government has an option for the following two. It would be a huge mistake to stage it for four years in Brisbane. Must move around if it is to survive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43051
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Magic round

Post by The Rickman » May 12, 2019, 9:39 pm

greeneyed wrote:
Brew wrote:
The Rickman wrote:God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heard Fox say it was locked to Suncorp for the next 2 years, someone might confirm?

I like the concept, just not a fan on playing on that surface after 6 games. It’s looked like a good carnival atmosphere.
I’m spewing I knocked back free flights and tickets up for all 4 days through work, it looked like a good atmosphere


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Locked next year. Queensland Government has an option for the following two. It would be a huge mistake to stage it for four years in Brisbane. Must move around if it is to survive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have no problem with it being played in Sydney, Melbourne or maybe even Auckland, but no **** WAY should it ever be played in Canberra


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3118
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: Magic round

Post by raiderskater » May 12, 2019, 9:39 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 12, 2019, 8:43 pm
God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You seem to be missing the point that most of us aren't opposed to the concept, just deeply opposed to the second-worst playing surface in the NRL being chosen to host it, and with good reason.

I also don't think the NRL organised it particularly well.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43051
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Magic round

Post by The Rickman » May 12, 2019, 9:50 pm

I think my point is that most of you just whinge about everything you possibly can... the broncos, the nrl, the referees, basically everything gets **** on

I DO agree with the turf problem though, it looked poor today. The NRL needs to sort that out next time for sure


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9635
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by gangrenous » May 12, 2019, 10:26 pm

The Rickman wrote:I think my point is that most of you just whinge about everything you possibly can... the broncos, the nrl, the referees, basically everything gets **** on
This was a good point until you listed three things absolutely worth whinging about Image

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2674
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Magic round

Post by BadnMean » May 12, 2019, 11:37 pm

Mothers day was a bad choice.

The turf looked bad.

A poster raised a good point about SL Magic Round which works and it may be very important... They hold it away from RL strongholds in England- NOT in RL heartland. So it's a fun road trip for any hardcore fans who want to go watch and then get value for travelling with extra games and RL fans OUTSIDE the heartland turn up because they get a chance to finally watch some top level games live in their own city so might happily watch more than 1 because it doesn't happen every week.

Surely that makes a difference. Magic Round in Perth, Melbourne, Country NSW?, Darwin? NZ?

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126194
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 13, 2019, 2:38 am

The Rickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Brew wrote:
The Rickman wrote:God, you’re all just a pack of **** whingers.

Everyone I know who went to Magic Round **** LOVED it, and I was spewing I didn’t go. If it’s on again next year I’m definitely going

Raiders fans really are the worst in the league


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heard Fox say it was locked to Suncorp for the next 2 years, someone might confirm?

I like the concept, just not a fan on playing on that surface after 6 games. It’s looked like a good carnival atmosphere.
I’m spewing I knocked back free flights and tickets up for all 4 days through work, it looked like a good atmosphere


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Locked next year. Queensland Government has an option for the following two. It would be a huge mistake to stage it for four years in Brisbane. Must move around if it is to survive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have no problem with it being played in Sydney, Melbourne or maybe even Auckland, but no **** WAY should it ever be played in Canberra


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You seem to think I’m arguing for it to be held in Canberra. I have never done that. I’ve just pointed out it will never be played in Canberra. Never, ever would the NRL do that. Yet we keep getting articles suggesting it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14279
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: Magic round

Post by reptar » May 13, 2019, 4:56 am

greeneyed wrote:But it is an NRL endorsed event. The Raiders seem to be referring to the NSW Cup as Canterbury Cup these days despite the fact they are sponsored by ISC. If NRMA Insurance has "stopped" the Broncos from appearing, it is pretty silly behaviour from NRMA Insurance. They just should have photo bombed Youi with their sponsor logos.
If that's the reason, why do the NRMA Broncos play at Suncorp (AAMI, etc) at all?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8100
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Magic round

Post by Roger Kenworthy » May 13, 2019, 5:25 am

That pitch looked really bad today, it was halfway between a pitch and the beach for our game. Given Suncorp has had surface issues for 15 years it's unrealistic to think it will be any different next time.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5772
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Magic round

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » May 13, 2019, 7:50 am

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:One interesting thing about Magic Round is we can finally compare NRL attendance to V8 Supercars. When V8s announce their official crowds as being the highest in Aus sport, it’s usually met with claims the numbers are skewed because they run all weekend.

So with that said, total attendance of Magic Round was 134,677.

V8 Supercars weekend attendances in 2017 (First article I could Google admittedly)
Melbourne GP: 272,000
Adelaide: 272,000
Bathurst: 204,512
Newcastle: 192,242
Gold Coast: 186,259
Townsville: 142,478
Average that year was 116,000 per event.

So their claim has legs


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That's a lot of bogans in one spot.
It’s what happens when you throw 134k of NRL supporters in Qld
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
thedevilingreen
Simon Woolford
Posts: 444
Joined: August 9, 2013, 8:38 am
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Brisbane

Re: Magic round

Post by thedevilingreen » May 13, 2019, 8:47 am

The thing that annoys me there was next to no promotion for the event. I mean fox put the Hindy and fletch in a bloody bubble at the ground. The nrl did one event at the start of week and then nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman

User avatar
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1258
Joined: January 25, 2007, 10:33 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by hrundi89 » May 13, 2019, 10:57 am

Dr Zaius wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:40 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:One interesting thing about Magic Round is we can finally compare NRL attendance to V8 Supercars. When V8s announce their official crowds as being the highest in Aus sport, it’s usually met with claims the numbers are skewed because they run all weekend.

So with that said, total attendance of Magic Round was 134,677.

V8 Supercars weekend attendances in 2017 (First article I could Google admittedly)
Melbourne GP: 272,000
Adelaide: 272,000
Bathurst: 204,512
Newcastle: 192,242
Gold Coast: 186,259
Townsville: 142,478
Average that year was 116,000 per event.

So their claim has legs


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That's a lot of bogans in one spot.
I thought League fans were bogans...?

Turn it up.

It's a bit unfair counting the GP attendance as a V8 crowd, is it not?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.

User avatar
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1258
Joined: January 25, 2007, 10:33 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by hrundi89 » May 13, 2019, 10:58 am

thedevilingreen wrote:
May 13, 2019, 8:47 am
The thing that annoys me there was next to no promotion for the event. I mean fox put the Hindy and fletch in a bloody bubble at the ground. The nrl did one event at the start of week and then nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
There was heaps of promotion...?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.

User avatar
pickles
Jason Croker
Posts: 4702
Joined: November 18, 2007, 2:04 pm
Location: Callala Bay

Re: Magic round

Post by pickles » May 13, 2019, 11:15 am

I don't have a problem with the concept, I think it has legs but it also needs to be executed properly.

Away from a rugby league heartland, it annoyed a lot of people that the Donkeys got an extra home game out of this and rightly so.

All games over 3 days. It was clear that having Thursday night as a stand alone was a dismal failure and creates better value for other days.

They need to review pricing, it is people on seats that will make it a spectacle and the ticket prices would have kept a lot of people away.

Good idea, typical NRL chook raffle level execution.

Post Reply