Magic round

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8478
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Magic round

Post by simo » May 8, 2019, 1:49 pm

Imagine being upset that people within the game are trying something new in an effort to promote the game. Get behind something for once in your sad lives. I hope it works out for them and we see more of this kind of thing from people who run the game.
Dont delete this GE

Danaman137
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 561
Joined: February 29, 2016, 8:09 pm
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske
Location: Canberra

Re: Magic round

Post by Danaman137 » May 8, 2019, 1:54 pm

My issue with it is the ticket prices. I study in Brisbane and only get home to Canberra a few times a year so don’t get to see the raiders play live as often as I like. I’d love to go this weekend but at $110 for a student ticket to get a decent seat is ridiculous. I know I’m getting 2 games for that but I still find that overpriced. I only make $425 a week as a student and can’t justify spending that money. The alternative is paying a cheaper price to be chucked behind the goalposts or in a far corner. None of these options seem viable to me tbh.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18686
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by edwahu » May 8, 2019, 1:56 pm

Worth a try. I hope they try it in Sydney though and play it over 2 or max 3 days.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43045
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Magic round

Post by The Rickman » May 8, 2019, 2:28 pm

simo wrote:
May 8, 2019, 1:49 pm
Imagine being upset that people within the game are trying something new in an effort to promote the game. Get behind something for once in your sad lives. I hope it works out for them and we see more of this kind of thing from people who run the game.
Haha my thoughts exactly. I swear people just like to bitch and moan about everything.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Posts: 673
Joined: March 18, 2013, 3:35 pm
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Magic round

Post by jozzas » May 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

I'll be there with bells on. Are Raiders fans meeting anywhere in particular beforehand this time?

User avatar
Sid
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6947
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Magic round

Post by Sid » May 8, 2019, 2:36 pm

As an interstate fan I love the idea of Magic Round.

When the draw comes out I usually try to pair together 2 events/games that are close together (like an Origin + Raiders game if they're on in the same week close by) to justify travelling to go to a game, so the idea of Magic round and being able to see a number of games in a weekend appeals to me, that was the appeal of the Nines Games. Was nearly going to go to the one this year, something I'll look at again next year.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43045
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Magic round

Post by The Rickman » May 8, 2019, 2:43 pm

Sid wrote:
May 8, 2019, 2:36 pm
As an interstate fan I love the idea of Magic Round.

When the draw comes out I usually try to pair together 2 events/games that are close together (like an Origin + Raiders game if they're on in the same week close by) to justify travelling to go to a game, so the idea of Magic round and being able to see a number of games in a weekend appeals to me, that was the appeal of the Nines Games. Was nearly going to go to the one this year, something I'll look at again next year.
Yeah me too, as we're getting closer and closer to the event I'm really disappointed I'm not going.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21650
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Magic round

Post by Seiffert82 » May 8, 2019, 2:56 pm

Yeah, 'cause the game really needs to be promoted in Brisbane, by giving the Broncos a bonus home game and forcing 8 clubs to play one of their home games away from home. :lol:

Taking premiership games to regional areas has far more merit, but anyway...

The surface better bloody hold up by Sunday afternoon.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17599
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Magic round

Post by -PJ- » May 8, 2019, 2:57 pm

jozzas wrote:
May 8, 2019, 2:31 pm
I'll be there with bells on. Are Raiders fans meeting anywhere in particular beforehand this time?
I don't know.

Hope this helps.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22614
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Magic round

Post by Northern Raider » May 8, 2019, 3:10 pm

I like the concept. Hate the ticketing and prices (as mentioned in preview thread). $90 for the 'cheap seats' behind the goal posts. Daughter wants to go and her ticket is another $70. Total of $160 to take your kid to the footy is just insane. Thats not counting the cost of food/drinks at the game which will easily take it up to a $200 trip.

I understand the concept and appreciate its trying something different. I just wish it wasn't priced at a premium and was more in line with your normal club game ticket prices.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22614
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Magic round

Post by Northern Raider » May 8, 2019, 3:11 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:
May 8, 2019, 2:56 pm
Yeah, 'cause the game really needs to be promoted in Brisbane, by giving the Broncos a bonus home game and forcing 8 clubs to play one of their home games away from home. :lol:

Taking premiership games to regional areas has far more merit, but anyway...

The surface better bloody hold up by Sunday afternoon.
Dunno. A chopped up surface might bring Mitchell back to the pack a bit and give Oldy a chance of containing him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
thedevilingreen
Simon Woolford
Posts: 444
Joined: August 9, 2013, 8:38 am
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Brisbane

Re: Magic round

Post by thedevilingreen » May 8, 2019, 3:17 pm

Northern Raider wrote:I like the concept. Hate the ticketing and prices (as mentioned in preview thread). $90 for the 'cheap seats' behind the goal posts. Daughter wants to go and her ticket is another $70. Total of $160 to take your kid to the footy is just insane. Thats not counting the cost of food/drinks at the game which will easily take it up to a $200 trip.

I understand the concept and appreciate its trying something different. I just wish it wasn't priced at a premium and was more in line with your normal club game ticket prices.
Yeah I'm holding off till Friday to get my tickets in the hope that the NRL panic and drop prices but I'm not liking my chances of that happening. It's a shame it's a great concept but they have gone for a cash grab instead of trying to get the fans there to support it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22614
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Magic round

Post by Northern Raider » May 8, 2019, 3:25 pm

thedevilingreen wrote:
May 8, 2019, 3:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote:I like the concept. Hate the ticketing and prices (as mentioned in preview thread). $90 for the 'cheap seats' behind the goal posts. Daughter wants to go and her ticket is another $70. Total of $160 to take your kid to the footy is just insane. Thats not counting the cost of food/drinks at the game which will easily take it up to a $200 trip.

I understand the concept and appreciate its trying something different. I just wish it wasn't priced at a premium and was more in line with your normal club game ticket prices.
Yeah I'm holding off till Friday to get my tickets in the hope that the NRL panic and drop prices but I'm not liking my chances of that happening. It's a shame it's a great concept but they have gone for a cash grab instead of trying to get the fans there to support it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I know there's plenty of tickets floating around. My young blokes footy club was given a bunch of tickets for the Friday night games. I can't go unfortunately as there's a school function on that night. Just wish it was for Sunday.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126126
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 8, 2019, 3:34 pm

jozzas wrote:I'll be there with bells on. Are Raiders fans meeting anywhere in particular beforehand this time?
We haven’t organised a meet up, but The Lord Alfred would be my suggestion.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
PerthRaider86
Dean Lance
Posts: 889
Joined: May 23, 2014, 6:53 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Magic round

Post by PerthRaider86 » May 8, 2019, 4:14 pm

Id be happy with a Magic round over here in Perth..... Id love to have more than one game a year...............
Perth Based Raiders Fan

Cant wait for the Raiders to come back to WA !!!!!

Member of the 'Bad Supporters Club' :thumbsup

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22614
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Magic round

Post by Northern Raider » May 8, 2019, 4:26 pm

greeneyed wrote:
May 8, 2019, 3:34 pm
jozzas wrote:I'll be there with bells on. Are Raiders fans meeting anywhere in particular beforehand this time?
We haven’t organised a meet up, but The Lord Alfred would be my suggestion.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That place must have a Cognac and Cigar Lounge if GE is suggesting it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126126
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 8, 2019, 4:53 pm

It didn't last time I was there... but it has had a massive rennovation and its a really nice hotel.
Image

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30399
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by dubby » May 8, 2019, 5:35 pm

PerthRaider86 wrote:Id be happy with a Magic round over here in Perth..... Id love to have more than one game a year...............
I think they're trying it in Brisbane because it's a safe market.

If it works, they might be bold enough to try Perth, but that's a big If.

Perth stadium is used by AFL too? If so, they'd get narky about the playing surface etc.

Then there's the media pressure about no games on the east .....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126126
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 8, 2019, 5:44 pm

They'd never give a Magic Round to Canberra, even with a new stadium.
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43045
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Magic round

Post by The Rickman » May 8, 2019, 5:49 pm

greeneyed wrote:They'd never give a Magic Round to Canberra, even with a new stadium.
Nor should they. It should only be in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney. High population centres in the eastern timezone

Anything else makes no sense whatsoever


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17599
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Magic round

Post by -PJ- » May 8, 2019, 5:53 pm

Surely that new stadium in Sydney would under consideration.

Doesnt hold as many as Suncorp but would be a capacity you'd think..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6931
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by gergreg » May 8, 2019, 5:55 pm

I feel dirty but I'll be cheering for Manly this w/e.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17599
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Magic round

Post by -PJ- » May 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

gergreg wrote:
May 8, 2019, 5:55 pm
I feel dirty but I'll be cheering for Manly this w/e.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Well..don't feel too bad gerg.

We all support the Raiders..and whoevers playing Brisbane..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30399
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Magic round

Post by dubby » May 8, 2019, 6:51 pm

-PJ- wrote:Surely that new stadium in Sydney would under consideration.

Doesnt hold as many as Suncorp but would be a capacity you'd think..
Work mate went to the game last weekend. Rates Bankwest very highly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Image

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3104
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: Magic round

Post by raiderskater » May 8, 2019, 7:15 pm

The concept's fine.

I'm just utterly boggled that the NRL looked at the list of NRL grounds and chose the second-worst playing surface in the NRL to do it on.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21650
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Magic round

Post by Seiffert82 » May 8, 2019, 7:38 pm

I personally think it's madness not even having a single game in Sydney this weekend.

Ronny P
Noa Nadruku
Posts: 150
Joined: September 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by Ronny P » May 8, 2019, 7:51 pm

Cant wait. Great concept. Leave tomorrow morning.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6931
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by gergreg » May 8, 2019, 8:17 pm

raiderskater wrote:The concept's fine.

I'm just utterly boggled that the NRL looked at the list of NRL grounds and chose the second-worst playing surface in the NRL to do it on.
Nothing to do with playing on the best surface unfortunately. I think it had something to do with the NRL signing a long term deal to have the GF in Sydney and this was a trade off deal to appease the Qld spirit.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30119
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Magic round

Post by -TW- » May 8, 2019, 9:07 pm

Qld govt wanted a rugby league event, and seeing the NRL 9s was canned again the next best option was to lobby for this

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


Bay53
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5409
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by Bay53 » May 8, 2019, 9:35 pm

I think it is a great idea. Apparently the Auckland Nines was a great event but it was irrelevant from a rugby league point of view. These are real games.

I agree with your point about the ticket prices. I think they are ridiculous. When this was first mooted I thought the tickets would be pretty cheap especially as a package. The way this concept will work is if you have the fans going to all the games rather than only choosing what they can afford.

Playing it in Brisbane first up is a good idea. In England it has been successful in that the venue has been special because it is a place where rugby league is not normally played. They may take it around the country eventually but those venues will not be superior to what we already play on.

I didn’t think I would be able to go but it is looking like I am going to be able to get there for Saturday and Sunday now.

I do think the Thursday night game is unnecessary. Much better 2 Friday, 3 Saturday, 3 Sunday so that from start to finish is 48-50 hours.

Bay53
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5409
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by Bay53 » May 8, 2019, 9:36 pm

raiderskater wrote:
May 8, 2019, 7:15 pm
The concept's fine.

I'm just utterly boggled that the NRL looked at the list of NRL grounds and chose the second-worst playing surface in the NRL to do it on.
I have said before that I don’t reckon the surface has been any good since the ground got totally flooded. Having said that, it seems to be a surface that doesn’t get any worse with wear.

Bay53
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5409
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by Bay53 » May 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

In England clubs don’t lose a home game, it is an extra round. So in our case you would play 12 home, 12 away plus magic round. They already play each other twice so the magic round match ups can be big rivalries.

Bay53
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5409
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by Bay53 » May 8, 2019, 9:41 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:
May 8, 2019, 7:38 pm
I personally think it's madness not even having a single game in Sydney this weekend.
I think if it gets momentum from this it will be a success in Sydney. However, I guess most weeks you can go to multiple games in Sydney although most people don’t.

It will be interesting to see how many neutrals are at each game.

A few years ago they played a finals double header - Cronulla v Cowboys and then Roosters v Manly. I thought it was brilliant.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21650
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Magic round

Post by Seiffert82 » May 8, 2019, 10:16 pm

Bay53 wrote:
May 8, 2019, 9:41 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
May 8, 2019, 7:38 pm
I personally think it's madness not even having a single game in Sydney this weekend.
I think if it gets momentum from this it will be a success in Sydney. However, I guess most weeks you can go to multiple games in Sydney although most people don’t.

It will be interesting to see how many neutrals are at each game.

A few years ago they played a finals double header - Cronulla v Cowboys and then Roosters v Manly. I thought it was brilliant.
I guess I just don't understand how playing every game in one city over one weekend promotes the code. Does this get more fans through the gate? Does it increase TV ratings?

Why are we promoting the code to fans who can pay $600 for a ticket rather than getting more young kids through the gate as the next generation of supporters? Where is the "Super Round" where every kid under 16 gets in for free?

Is anyone seriously going to watch any more football this weekend just because every single match is in Brisbane?

It's **** weird if you ask me. Just another excuse to give the Broncos 13 home games this season.

I'm mildly ambivalent because it's an away game for us anyway. I'd be furious if we were giving up another home game for this circus.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126126
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed » May 8, 2019, 10:34 pm

It's a pretty silly idea really, in a country the size of Australia. English people aren't big travellers, but it is relatively easy to drive to whichever city they stage their Magic Round in... or catch a train. Not in Australia. Brisbane isn't really a destination everyone is dreaming of attending. Most rugby league fans prepared to travel and who want to experience Lang Park will have been there already. I can't see Brisbane people wanting to see any club that isn't a Brisbane team (and given there is only one at the moment...) Other club fans are not likely to want to attend on days their team makes no appearance. NRL fans are tribal. The idea is being completely mismanaged by the ticketing, as was the World Cup. The NRL can really be depended upon to mismanage an event. That's why the Auckland Nines were so good... they were run professionally and the NRL didn't have anything to do with the running of the event.

What they need is a unique and unusual venue, like Perth or Adelaide, even though those are awful stadiums for viewing rugby league. They'd at least have some novelty value.

As for getting behind an idea... people do that when they're sensible ideas. And worthwhile and interesting events. I got behind the Nines, and get behind international football... but other people didn't or don't see value in those events. Everyone has a right to their opinion.
Image

Post Reply