2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
1
8%
Raiders 1-12
4
33%
Draw
0
No votes
Roosters 1-12
4
33%
Roosters 13+
3
25%
 
Total votes: 12

Goldcoast Raider
Gary Coyne
Posts: 112
Joined: January 14, 2019, 5:10 pm
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Goldcoast Raider » May 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

I don’t mind losing but losing fair

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30158
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by -TW- » May 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Goldcoast Raider wrote:I was at the game, but they were running towards me, was it a forward pass? They didn’t replay it at the ground
Only by about 3 metres

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


Goldcoast Raider
Gary Coyne
Posts: 112
Joined: January 14, 2019, 5:10 pm
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Goldcoast Raider » May 12, 2019, 5:05 pm

Sutton the ref was absolutely disgusting and I’m surprised Ricky didn’t run on a deck him with some of the calls that went against us were rubbish

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3673
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BJ » May 12, 2019, 5:05 pm

Good point on the effort after errors. We didn’t used to do that in previous seasons.

A few guys really hooked in on defence after they made errors and Lui had a bad drop, but got a one on one steal at his next opportunity.

User avatar
The Greenhouse
Don Furner
Posts: 3166
Joined: July 11, 2018, 6:57 am

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Greenhouse » May 12, 2019, 5:13 pm

MATCH REPORT: Jordan Rapana injured as Canberra Raiders fall to Sydney Roosters



The esteemed Brisbane venue's injury ward is overflowing and it may have claimed a major casualty in Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana. Recovery time for a PCL injury not requiring surgery is often about six to eight weeks, however a reconstruction would signal the end of Rapana's season.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 30 (Latrell Mitchell 2, Matt Ikuvalu, Cooper Cronk, James Tedesco tries; Latrell Mitchell 4, Siosiua Taukeiaho goals) bt CANBERRA RAIDERS 24 (Jarrod Croker Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jack Wighton, Michael Oldfield tries; Jarrod Croker 4 goals) at Suncorp Stadium.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239





Could Latrell Mitchell and Jarrod Croker link up for NSW Blues? https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Match Report: Mitchell scare as Roosters hold off Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/12/mit ... in-injury/

Stuart sure Canberra can cover Rapana if prognosis is negative: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/12/stu ... -negative/

Match Highlights: Roosters v Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/12/mat ... v-raiders/

Press Conference: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... onference/

Video: Raiders Josh Hodgson hopeful Rapana’s injury isn’t an ACL: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/12/rai ... nt-an-acl/
Last edited by The Greenhouse on May 12, 2019, 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 5:16 pm

Be interesting to see who tosses the coin next week given Sutton’s advice he will only talk to one Captain. Ricky will need to make a call who he wants as on field skipper....

User avatar
The Greenhouse
Don Furner
Posts: 3166
Joined: July 11, 2018, 6:57 am

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Greenhouse » May 12, 2019, 5:37 pm

34,564 was the total crowd today.
The Greenhouse score update service

User avatar
Raider47
David Furner
Posts: 3133
Joined: April 15, 2009, 10:38 am
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki
Location: Canberra

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Raider47 » May 12, 2019, 5:40 pm

Another injury. ****. :(
"It's always been Canberra, I love playing for the Raiders"- Jarrod Croker
"We’re all really excited about what’s going on here at the Raiders"- Blake Austin
"I’m very happy to have signed this extension and I love playing footy in Canberra"- Jack Wighton
"I’ve been in Canberra for a while now and it’s become a home for me"- Josh Papalii
"“The ultimate goal is to win a premiership and get Canberra back on the pedestal they belong."- Sia Soliola
"The club was eager for me to stay and I was eager to stay as well because I love it here in Canberra."- Josh Hodgson

Peter
Jason Croker
Posts: 4722
Joined: January 17, 2005, 3:26 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Peter » May 12, 2019, 5:41 pm

julian87 wrote:
May 12, 2019, 4:20 pm
I’d consider dropping Lui if we have the troops honestly.

Also gee Simonsson hasn’t done a thing wrong yet. I’m a bit excited by him tbh because he obviously has the flare when he gets the opportunity
Agree on Simonsson. I would have loved to have seen Charnze boot the ball down field off the quick tap and let Simonsson chase it down near the end of the gave. Doubt anyone would have come close to catching him.

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9635
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 12, 2019, 5:44 pm

PigRickman wrote: And I remember commenting at the time how ridiculous it was that no pen came
The reason? That tackle and these ones are almost always called

Beej was the exception, not the rule
Fascinating how often the Raiders are the exception not the rule...

User avatar
The Greenhouse
Don Furner
Posts: 3166
Joined: July 11, 2018, 6:57 am

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Greenhouse » May 12, 2019, 5:54 pm

134,677 is the official crowd in total for Magic Round.
The Greenhouse score update service

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25176
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by PigRickman » May 12, 2019, 6:00 pm

gangrenous wrote:
May 12, 2019, 5:44 pm
PigRickman wrote: And I remember commenting at the time how ridiculous it was that no pen came
The reason? That tackle and these ones are almost always called

Beej was the exception, not the rule
Fascinating how often the Raiders are the exception not the rule...
Lol no more than any other team, gangers
That’s kind the whole reason why I laugh at you
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9635
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 12, 2019, 6:16 pm

Laugh at me all you want piggles. We’ve been over how good your “independent” calls are before.

It’s very clear that the 50/50s, particularly the game deciding ones, go against certain teams more often than others. Easy to see how it happens when against certain teams they are crucified for their errors.

RedRaider
Steve Walters
Posts: 7357
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by RedRaider » May 12, 2019, 6:36 pm

Tough game. Very proud of the grit in the 2019 Raiders. We needed 50% possession and only had 41% in the first half. That's when the damage was done. The fight back was great to see and showed the guts and pride in the jersey that's in this side.

As expected, JB was a real loss to our attacking options on the right.

Onto South's next week. We are now a tough to beat side if given an even share of possession. I was proud of the squads effort in this match.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25176
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by PigRickman » May 12, 2019, 6:36 pm

gangrenous wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:16 pm
Laugh at me all you want piggles. We’ve been over how good your “independent” calls are before.

It’s very clear that the 50/50s, particularly the game deciding ones, go against certain teams more often than others. Easy to see how it happens when against certain teams they are crucified for their errors.
It’s clear to you, operating under amongst other things, confirmation bias

It’s not clear to anyone else outside this fan base. Which tells the story.

Also if it’s so clear I’m sure you’ll be able to provide some sort of reference that teams are being unfairly officiated
It’s clear after all so surely this data is accessible
Last edited by PigRickman on May 12, 2019, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 6:37 pm

I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

RedRaider wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:36 pm
Tough game. Very proud of the grit in the 2019 Raiders. We needed 50% possession and only had 41% in the first half. That's when the damage was done. The fight back was great to see and showed the guts and pride in the jersey that's in this side.

As expected, JB was a real loss to our attacking options on the right.

Onto South's next week. We are now a tough to beat side if given an even share of possession. I was proud of the squads effort in this match.
Good call Red - agree with you. I’d hoped for a little more from Horsburgh today. He was solid and no mistakes but at times he looked a touch off the pace.

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19362
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Dr Zaius » May 12, 2019, 6:42 pm

Billy Walker wrote:I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.
I think that the point to take from this is that Sutton is a ****
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6946
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gergreg » May 12, 2019, 6:46 pm

Pete Cash wrote:It was a bad decision by Cotric but i am not going to be slitting my wrists over it.

I think realistically we just didn't defend good enough. That is where the questions should be asked. We leaked tons of soft tries.

Still we are miles off the top teams imo
Agreed. After starting the season so well we have dropped our bundle in defence since the Broncos game.

Sutton is just the worst ref. We weren't good enough today but Sutton isn't a first grade referee. He clearly has a tip sheet on the Raiders but then watching other sides/players get away with offences week after week. Sam Burgess should be penalised 10 times a game for slowing down the ruck.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 6:46 pm

Dr Zaius wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
Billy Walker wrote:I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.
I think that the point to take from this is that Sutton is a ****
Surely it needs to be clarified though. If Sutton is wrong we deserve an apology and just keep running with co-capacity but if he is right Ricky needs to make a call one way or the other. We aren’t the only club with co-captains. Needs clarification

Pilz
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 563
Joined: June 29, 2011, 2:19 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Pilz » May 12, 2019, 6:47 pm

-GD- wrote:
May 12, 2019, 4:34 pm
Rick wrote:NRL have scheduled Scumcorp home game for the Broncos next week ImageImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
To be fair, Broncos were the away team this week :lol:
......and they get a full week turnaround vs the Roosters five days. Normal service has been resumed.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 6:50 pm

I’d like to see Cotric have a couple of games at centre to see what he can do there but as winger this year I don’t think he’s offered anything we wouldn’t get from Oldfield or Simmonsen

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18703
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by edwahu » May 12, 2019, 6:58 pm

Cotric came up with a couple of great tackles in the last 20 and is still a solid winger, but I'd agree that it's time for him to take on the challenge of center.

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9635
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 12, 2019, 7:00 pm

Billy Walker wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
Billy Walker wrote:I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.
I think that the point to take from this is that Sutton is a ****
Surely it needs to be clarified though. If Sutton is wrong we deserve an apology and just keep running with co-capacity but if he is right Ricky needs to make a call one way or the other. We aren’t the only club with co-captains. Needs clarification
Sutton is right, that’s the way that’s always been. If there are co-captains they need to nominate who is the dominant one when two are on the field.

Otherwise you just name all 17 captains and get in his ear all game Image

You don’t need to get rid of co-captains because of this. Hodgson wasn’t named co-captain just so guys like Sutton could tell two Raiders to go away every week.

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 7:02 pm

edwahu wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:58 pm
Cotric came up with a couple of great tackles in the last 20 and is still a solid winger, but I'd agree that it's time for him to take on the challenge of center.
That tackle was a cracker and he had a good carry in the next set that ended in the CKN try but beyond that I really didn’t notice him much at all. No doubt someone will pull a stat to show he had a blinder but I’m not seeing it. If we signed Tedesco tomorrow I’d have CKN on the wing ahead of Cotric

Green Machine 2011
Peter Jackson
Posts: 275
Joined: March 25, 2011, 11:50 am

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Green Machine 2011 » May 12, 2019, 7:03 pm

I want to give a shout out to the Horse and Young. My stats say 10 runs for 145 metres by the Horse, awesome stuff. No errors and (I think) no penalties. Young played 80 from what I saw. Good on the young lads

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 7:04 pm

gangrenous wrote:
May 12, 2019, 7:00 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
Billy Walker wrote:I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.
I think that the point to take from this is that Sutton is a ****
Surely it needs to be clarified though. If Sutton is wrong we deserve an apology and just keep running with co-capacity but if he is right Ricky needs to make a call one way or the other. We aren’t the only club with co-captains. Needs clarification
Sutton is right, that’s the way that’s always been. If there are co-captains they need to nominate who is the dominant one when two are on the field.

Otherwise you just name all 17 captains and get in his ear all game Image

You don’t need to get rid of co-captains because of this. Hodgson wasn’t named co-captain just so guys like Sutton could tell two Raiders to go away every week.
So I can’t see too many scenarios where both Hodgo and Croker aren’t on the field at the same time - surely one has to be declared the real captain. What is the point of co-captains?

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 7:06 pm

Green Machine 2011 wrote:
May 12, 2019, 7:03 pm
I want to give a shout out to the Horse and Young. My stats say 10 runs for 145 metres by the Horse, awesome stuff. No errors and (I think) no penalties. Young played 80 from what I saw. Good on the young lads
Yeah that’s solid. I thought the Horse looked a bit off the pace late in the game but no doubt because he’s put in his biggest effort to date

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18703
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by edwahu » May 12, 2019, 7:07 pm

No way he made 145 meters that game. He played ok but that will get corrected in the review.

Green Machine 2011
Peter Jackson
Posts: 275
Joined: March 25, 2011, 11:50 am

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Green Machine 2011 » May 12, 2019, 7:12 pm

edwahu wrote:
May 12, 2019, 7:07 pm
No way he made 145 meters that game. He played ok but that will get corrected in the review.
Yeah I was surprised to see the stats too based on the ‘eye test’ but with a few of our middles out and what seemed like more minutes, I see him developing.

I love CNK and agree with what’s being said about Bailey, just wanted to give some kudos to two young lads with less than 10 games against the benchmark (ps this paragraph isn’t meant to be narky if it comes across like that)

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 7:14 pm

Green Machine 2011 wrote:
May 12, 2019, 7:12 pm
edwahu wrote:
May 12, 2019, 7:07 pm
No way he made 145 meters that game. He played ok but that will get corrected in the review.
Yeah I was surprised to see the stats too based on the ‘eye test’ but with a few of our middles out and what seemed like more minutes, I see him developing.

I love CNK and agree with what’s being said about Bailey, just wanted to give some kudos to two young lads with less than 10 games against the benchmark (ps this paragraph isn’t meant to be narky if it comes across like that)
They stood tall - Sutton was off his game today and Whitehead was quieter than he has been recently

Boomercm
Noa Nadruku
Posts: 163
Joined: June 21, 2009, 7:18 pm
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Boomercm » May 12, 2019, 7:36 pm

edwahu wrote:
May 12, 2019, 7:07 pm
No way he made 145 meters that game. He played ok but that will get corrected in the review.
Aren't these the 'official' stats? (bizarre given they are not the NRL website or app stats). They indicate 101m, which seems about right

https://mc.championdata.com/nrl/?fbclid ... oFmAoY46zg

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19362
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Dr Zaius » May 12, 2019, 7:51 pm

Billy Walker wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
May 12, 2019, 7:00 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
May 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
Billy Walker wrote:I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.
I think that the point to take from this is that Sutton is a ****
Surely it needs to be clarified though. If Sutton is wrong we deserve an apology and just keep running with co-capacity but if he is right Ricky needs to make a call one way or the other. We aren’t the only club with co-captains. Needs clarification
Sutton is right, that’s the way that’s always been. If there are co-captains they need to nominate who is the dominant one when two are on the field.

Otherwise you just name all 17 captains and get in his ear all game Image

You don’t need to get rid of co-captains because of this. Hodgson wasn’t named co-captain just so guys like Sutton could tell two Raiders to go away every week.
So I can’t see too many scenarios where both Hodgo and Croker aren’t on the field at the same time - surely one has to be declared the real captain. What is the point of co-captains?
I think that Hodgo was speaking, and Croker was translating
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1384
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider » May 12, 2019, 8:05 pm

The referees didn’t lose us this game. We lost it ourselves in the first 25 minutes of the game


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

Billy Walker
John Ferguson
Posts: 2400
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker » May 12, 2019, 8:09 pm

LastRaider wrote:
May 12, 2019, 8:05 pm
The referees didn’t lose us this game. We lost it ourselves in the first 25 minutes of the game


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yep - first 5 after halftime not overly helpful either

Post Reply