25%

Total votes: 12

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: May 16, 2019, 8:00 am
raiderskater wrote:Genuine question, PigRickman.

Late in the game - at a very crucial stage in the game - Cronk kicked on the last. The ball ricocheted off Croker's back, Roosters regathered, we tackled, and it was ruled six again because Croker was alleged to have played at it. (With his back.)

Are you suggesting that was the correct call? That the referee, being above reproach because they cannot make incorrect decisions against Canberra, got that one 100% right? That we should have been happy to end up getting the ball 10m out from our own line rather than 10m short of halfway, with only minutes on the clock?

How about the Roosters player flopping himself to the ground, getting up, and playing the ball without a hand laid on him? Are you suggesting that that was entirely acceptable because of course Sutton would never make a wrong call against the Raiders?
actually Croker turned as cronk kicked and the ball hit the side of his leg, it's a tuff 50/50
Yeah his leg actually sticks out a bit- like he was trying to block the grubber with his leg which he may have been doing or may just have been how his body turned. I had no problem with that one. Players turn away instinctively (to chase or not cop it in the face) but still stick a leg out to block as they do sometimes. That's one I have to say if it was us grubbering and we didn't get a played at I'd be upset.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: May 17, 2019, 10:27 am
gergreg wrote: May 16, 2019, 6:23 pm
greeneyed wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: May 16, 2019, 7:22 am
greeneyed wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:40 pm The Roosters player couldn't possibly have run 10 metres... I hope I'm thinking of the correct incident... because he took the ball close to his own line and got pushed into the in goal. I thought it was a wrong call at the ground, but looking at the replay, it was clearly correct.
does he have to run 10 metres? or do the players in front of the kicker just have to be more than 10 metres from him when he catches the ball? I thought it was the latter these days
They have to give him 10, the refs allow the offside players to get involved once the player with the ball has run 10 (as the offside players have retreated 10).
I'd love to see a fullback just hold his ground, particularly in the case where the kicker goes down and everybody is in front of him. I give it 5 seconds before the ref shrugs his shoulders and says play on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I'm not even entirely sure how that would work. I think (and I could be wrong here), that as soon as the fullback catches the ball, provided the off-side players have remained outside of 10m, they're then allowed to advance, aren't they? It's only when they're inside the 10m when he touches the ball that it's counted, right?
Not sure but waiting until they reset and organise their entire defensive line 10m out in a wall while you test the rule sounds like bad idea :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: May 17, 2019, 10:52 am

Late in the game - at a very crucial stage in the game - Cronk kicked on the last. The ball ricocheted off Croker's back, Roosters regathered, we tackled, and it was ruled six again because Croker was alleged to have played at it. (With his back.)

Are you suggesting that was the correct call? That the referee, being above reproach because they cannot make incorrect decisions against Canberra, got that one 100% right? That we should have been happy to end up getting the ball 10m out from our own line rather than 10m short of halfway, with only minutes on the clock?

How about the Roosters player flopping himself to the ground, getting up, and playing the ball without a hand laid on him? Are you suggesting that that was entirely acceptable because of course Sutton would never make a wrong call against the Raiders?
actually Croker turned as cronk kicked and the ball hit the side of his leg, it's a tuff 50/50
Yeah his leg actually sticks out a bit- like he was trying to block the grubber with his leg which he may have been doing or may just have been how his body turned. I had no problem with that one. Players turn away instinctively (to chase or not cop it in the face) but still stick a leg out to block as they do sometimes. That's one I have to say if it was us grubbering and we didn't get a played at I'd be upset.
Didn't cost us the game anyway... Cotric ran downfield shortly after and botched the pass to Croker, so the whole debate is moot.

I'm not blaming the loss on Cotric either, by the way, but to somehow lump the blame at the feet of the referees while ignoring the times we threw the game away ourselves (I keep going back to kicking for goal when down by 6, what the **** was that?!?) is utterly ridiculous behaviour.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Rickman wrote: May 17, 2019, 10:27 am
gergreg wrote: May 16, 2019, 6:23 pm
greeneyed wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: May 16, 2019, 7:22 am
greeneyed wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:40 pm The Roosters player couldn't possibly have run 10 metres... I hope I'm thinking of the correct incident... because he took the ball close to his own line and got pushed into the in goal. I thought it was a wrong call at the ground, but looking at the replay, it was clearly correct.
does he have to run 10 metres? or do the players in front of the kicker just have to be more than 10 metres from him when he catches the ball? I thought it was the latter these days
They have to give him 10, the refs allow the offside players to get involved once the player with the ball has run 10 (as the offside players have retreated 10).
I'd love to see a fullback just hold his ground, particularly in the case where the kicker goes down and everybody is in front of him. I give it 5 seconds before the ref shrugs his shoulders and says play on.

I'm not even entirely sure how that would work. I think (and I could be wrong here), that as soon as the fullback catches the ball, provided the off-side players have remained outside of 10m, they're then allowed to advance, aren't they? It's only when they're inside the 10m when he touches the ball that it's counted, right?
Yea i'm certain this is the way it is usually officiated, I'd be interested to see if the player(s) pinged in the early part of the roosters game were actually within 10 metres when tupou catches the ball, I didn't get a great look at it on replay but I thought they (Sutton/whitehead or Young?)may well have been 10metres away from Tupou
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I think the refs made some bad calls. I dont like sutton because of the way he refs and his general mannerisms while speaking.
While i didnt enjpy the way the game was reffed, it was the roosters who beat us. By 6 points. In rd 9. Not a tear was shed.
Dont delete this GE
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Rickman wrote: May 17, 2019, 10:55 am
BadnMean wrote: May 17, 2019, 10:52 am

Didn't cost us the game anyway... Cotric ran downfield shortly after and botched the pass to Croker, so the whole debate is moot.

I'm not blaming the loss on Cotric either, by the way, but to somehow lump the blame at the feet of the referees while ignoring the times we threw the game away ourselves (I keep going back to kicking for goal when down by 6, what the **** was that?!?) is utterly ridiculous behaviour.
I know some people have defended that decision but it was crazy imo, I don't usually mind taking the two to get/extend a lead or bring the scores level but early in a game when you are down by 6 and you are hot on there line is one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen, it was up there with Inglis taking a field goal attempt when Souths were down by 2
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kiwi raider wrote: May 17, 2019, 11:03 am
The Rickman wrote: May 17, 2019, 10:55 am Didn't cost us the game anyway... Cotric ran downfield shortly after and botched the pass to Croker, so the whole debate is moot.

I know some people have defended that decision but it was crazy imo, I don't usually mind taking the two to get/extend a lead or bring the scores level but early in a game when you are down by 6 and you are hot on there line is one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen, it was up there with Inglis taking a field goal attempt when Souths were down by 2
I don't remember ever seeing a team kick for goal when down by 6 in my life, yet the commentators talked it up like the most natural thing ever.

I'm serious, outside of teams doing it with ten seconds left on the clock before halftime, I don't recall a team EVER doing this! It's ridiculous!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: May 17, 2019, 11:01 am I think the refs made some bad calls. I dont like sutton because of the way he refs and his general mannerisms while speaking.
While i didnt enjpy the way the game was reffed, it was the roosters who beat us. By 6 points. In rd 9. Not a tear was shed.
I agree with everything you've said 100%. Sutton had a poor game and I generally don't like how he referees, but he didn't cost us the game.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the game and didn't walk away in the slightest bit upset. So imagine my surprise when I logged onto the "Bag out the players" forum and saw everybody bitching and complaining about everything.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

PigRickman wrote: May 16, 2019, 8:29 am
julian87 wrote: May 16, 2019, 8:03 am
PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:19 pm
Those sports whilst are team games, star calls happen in sports like the NBA because the natural inclination is that when Kevin Durrant misses a layup, it's probably because some lumbering goon in the paint fouled him. Same with baseball... these are VERY specific sports situations, the only like for like in RL is that you might find a player who is known to be always trying to mess with the ball in the ruck, getting penalised for drop balls on suspicion. But again, this goes both ways, it's not like it's only Elliott Whitehead who gets targeted like this, players on the opposition with the same tendency (and every team has at least 1 and probably 2-3-4 of them!) get it too!
I think this goes a bit further in rugby league imo. All the study refs do includes studying individual players for sure. There are certain players in the competition who have the decision in a lost ball or rake go against them every single time no matter the actual current play at the time. This isn’t really a subject I want to dip into but it has irked me for some time how much time the referees put into stuff like this. I still also think it is absolutely ridiculous that NRL referees are expected to know every single players first name. Surely that’s a waste of their time and completely unnecessary.
100% agree, but to what i've been saying... that's not unilaterally applied to the raiders and we benefit as much as we are penalised for it.
Yeah agree 100% I just reckon the big name player effect or whatever it’s being called goes a bit further in rugby league than you’ve suggested. I’m not suggesting it’s a Canberra thing at all. People here just have to realize you’re going to be hyper aware of our players in these situations more than opposing ones for glaringly obvious reason.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If bad referee calls are swings and roundabouts for all teams. When the referees boss comes out and formally admits to a mistake after the match, why aren’t the Raiders on the right side of the incorrect call 50% of the time?

The majority of NRL admitted errors are running 80/20 against the Raiders over the last 5 years.

That surely puts paid to the what comes around goes around claim.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: May 17, 2019, 12:51 pm If bad referee calls are swings and roundabouts for all teams. When the referees boss comes out and formally admits to a mistake after the match, why aren’t the Raiders on the right side of the incorrect call 50% of the time?

The majority of NRL admitted errors are running 80/20 against the Raiders over the last 5 years.

Where did you see this 80/20 stat?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Rickman wrote:
BJ wrote: May 17, 2019, 12:51 pm If bad referee calls are swings and roundabouts for all teams. When the referees boss comes out and formally admits to a mistake after the match, why aren’t the Raiders on the right side of the incorrect call 50% of the time?

The 80/20 is by actually counting them.

As I have noted previously on GH, I used to keep a notebook count of when a Commentator disagreed with the referees decision and whether it went for or against the Raiders. We were well and truly on the wrong side of this ledger as well.

However I did notice an increase in these when Belcher and Daley were calling our games. So that stat is not a great measure.

Daily Telegraph ran some analysis of Video Ref decisions a few years ago and we quite clearly had the most go against us of all teams in the NRL. After that story the refs started sending more of our clear definite try decisions up for confirmation. This evened out the statistic.

In relation to that. Croker and BJ often have their put downs reviewed by the video ref. (Although I don’t know if it’s because they both often do one handed put downs).
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

BJ wrote: May 17, 2019, 1:13 pm
The Rickman wrote:

As I have noted previously on GH, I used to keep a notebook count of when a Commentator disagreed with the referees decision and whether it went for or against the Raiders. We were well and truly on the wrong side of this ledger as well.
Thats one of the saddest things ive ever read
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

simo wrote: May 17, 2019, 11:01 am I think the refs made some bad calls. I dont like sutton because of the way he refs and his general mannerisms while speaking.
His ruck interpretation seems to be different from the other refs this year. Every game I've watched of his I've spent the first half wondering why such and such is being policed so much and then realizing that it's Sutton. The second half then makes a lot more sense. Next time he's our ref we need to be preparing for the more picky interpretations.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

simo wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

Yep unfortunate data nerd in both work and play. Don’t start me on cricket statistics.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

BJ wrote: May 17, 2019, 1:48 pm
simo wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

Yep unfortunate data nerd in both work and play. Don’t start me on cricket statistics.
I wont. Data collection is not my thing at all despite working in a surveying company
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Rickman wrote:

However I did notice an increase in these when Belcher and Daley were calling our games. So that stat is not a great measure.

Daily Telegraph ran some analysis of Video Ref decisions a few years ago and we quite clearly had the most go against us of all teams in the NRL. After that story the refs started sending more of our clear definite try decisions up for confirmation. This evened out the statistic.

In relation to that. Croker and BJ often have their put downs reviewed by the video ref. (Although I don’t know if it’s because they both often do one handed put downs).
Yeah honestly, I really think a lot of this still comes down to your own interpretation, hey.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Curious to see if anyone has a link to this VR study
I have vague memories of it, and what I remember is that it was a loooong time ago (or maybe I’m just feeling the years more) it was a simple % of try calls being overruled to no try

It didn’t include no try to try and provided no indication if the over turn was deemed the correct decision.

Is that correct?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

https://www.thestatszone.com/the-use-of ... ees-in-nrl

Here's a few stats. That's all I could find.

I think the NRL only released stats on a percentage of all decisions been correct, not specific to VR.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote: May 17, 2019, 3:01 pm https://www.thestatszone.com/the-use-of ... ees-in-nrl

Here's a few stats. That's all I could find.

I think the NRL only released stats on a percentage of all decisions been correct, not specific to VR.
Well those stats don't tell me anything at all, Ed.

Are you happy now??
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Sutton was also the ref for the Manly game, where we were on the wrong end of a very lopsided penalty count - granted we were sloppy, but Manly were getting away with pretty much everything.

Sutton was also the ref for the infamous Cronulla game last year.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:
His ruck interpretation seems to be different from the other refs this year. Every game I've watched of his I've spent the first half wondering why such and such is being policed so much and then realizing that it's Sutton. The second half then makes a lot more sense. Next time he's our ref we need to be preparing for the more picky interpretations.
Agree with this. He is typically the ref that will ping a player for not touching the ball with his foot while playing the ball - completely against the run of play - despite every third play the ball being exactly the same. He loves those 'gotcha' type penalties and it drives me insane. He is also guilty of interpretation inconsistency within the same game.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: May 17, 2019, 5:21 pm Agree with this. He is typically the ref that will ping a player for not touching the ball with his foot while playing the ball - completely against the run of play - despite every third play the ball being exactly the same. He loves those 'gotcha' type penalties and it drives me insane. He is also guilty of interpretation inconsistency within the same game.

I've been guilty of being overly critical of NRL referees in the past, but I've definitely converted to the “no excuses, we need to be better” camp over the years, particularly as the NRL have made an effort to improve the quality of refereeing despite what some may think.

In saying that, I must say that I hate seeing Gerard Sutton officiating our games. He’s a **** referee. Although, judging by comments I’ve read online and heard from friends supporting other teams, he seems to be hated as a referee generally across the board. The fact that he is selected year after year for the Origin games is a joke – even Bill Harrigan has expressed similar views on this publicly in the media (twice)! I'd suggest that nepotism in the past has led to a lack of accountability for him as compared to other referees… I think he’s simply not a good referee and certain people like his brother have boosted his career significantly to be considered one of the most senior officials in the game today. The quality of his officiating has always been poor imo.

It would also bother me considerably less if his refereeing decisions were consistently crap and not lopsided (i.e. somebody like Ashley Klein)… but he’s inconsistently crap in his interpretations which gives me the ****. I’m not suggesting that it’s conscious prejudice, I just think that he’s nowhere near as aware of his unconscious bias as other refs might be.

The guy is constantly getting pulled up and having to explain refereeing blunders. He rarely (if ever) gets demoted despite making media headlines time and time again for controversial (to be polite) calls. The Cronulla game last year where the pocket ref and touchie got dropped instead of him, with his brother Bernie defending him in the media on all of his calls, was completely mindboggling! It’s clear that the NRL will never drop this guy so it’s pointless trying to push that, but they need to keep this man away from major season games, finals, Origin and major tests. It's so hard to enjoy watching a game whenever he's the referee.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Sutton did get "demoted" for the Cronulla one. Remember? they made him do the Warriors game the next week because it was "low profile". The Warriors and the other team were pissed and rightly so. IIRC, both were on the fringes of the top 8.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Was it the Titans? I think it was.

Yes another clear example of when the NRL actually announced the value of certain teams to them. Yet still pigman and Nickman fight it...
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Didnt know where to put this but it proves how much of a dog club the roosters are.
A family friend is going through some serious medical problems so my hometown is having a fundraiser for him, my brother knows a person who is involved with the raiders and also another who is involved with the roosters, so my brother tells his raiders contact about said family friends medical problem, asks if he can get a signed raiders jersey so it can be auctioned.....yes we'd love to help, of course the raiders will sign whatever you need to raise money.
Brother talks to the roosters contact (a big name ex player) said contact talks to the roosters people and is told "No sorry, when our club is frontrunning late in the season like this, we dont sign anything for free as our 2019 signed jerseys that we sell through the club are worth a lot of money so you will have to buy one through the club".
No wonder i hate the roosters
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

chris83 wrote: May 17, 2019, 7:39 pm Didnt know where to put this but it proves how much of a dog club the roosters are.
A family friend is going through some serious medical problems so my hometown is having a fundraiser for him, my brother knows a person who is involved with the raiders and also another who is involved with the roosters, so my brother tells his raiders contact about said family friends medical problem, asks if he can get a signed raiders jersey so it can be auctioned.....yes we'd love to help, of course the raiders will sign whatever you need to raise money.
Brother talks to the roosters contact (a big name ex player) said contact talks to the roosters people and is told "No sorry, when our club is frontrunning late in the season like this, we dont sign anything for free as our 2019 signed jerseys that we sell through the club are worth a lot of money so you will have to buy one through the club".
No wonder i hate the roosters
Pretty much sums up what the Roosters give to the game. Sorry to hear about your friend.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 17, 2019, 6:49 pm Was it the Titans? I think it was.

Yes another clear example of when the NRL actually announced the value of certain teams to them. Yet still pigman and Nickman fight it...
Hey dopey
You might want to do a simple search on the events before posting. Haha.
You can do so now and I accept your apology.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 17, 2019, 6:49 pm Was it the Titans? I think it was.

Hey dopey
You might want to do a simple search on the events before posting. Haha.
You can do so now and I accept your apology.

How awkward for you...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yes, Dopey. Fantastic job... now go and look at the posts on this site regarding this.
Pay particular attention to my thoughts on the matter. Christ.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:Yes, Dopey. Fantastic job... now go and look at the posts on this site regarding this.
Pay particular attention to my thoughts on the matter. Christ.
If you can’t see how the NRL favouring teams leads to unbalanced outcomes in refereeing then there’s no point continuing.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: No you're right, there is no point continuing. Because your conspiracy theories hold no weight, and you have no evidence or data to back your claims up, and the evidence you and GE have provided applies equally to our club too, and you're hopeless one eyed and overly fixated on calls that go against this club and have no consideration for your hypothesis about the other 15 clubs and the calls that do or dont go against them

So yes, finally you've stumbled into something as it accurate. There is no point continuing. You'll always believe this club is being held down by external forces until such time that we're successful and then all of sudden that'll go, just as it does week to week... when we win, you dont have a care in the world, when we lose, it's time to find excuses. Nothing will change that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Me no evidence? The cheek of the man...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

haha yeah mate, you no evidence.
If you've got some smoking gun that shows the Canberra Raiders have been adversely effected by incorrect officiating calls, vs the other 15 clubs, im here to read it.

And your word, with your wild interpretations aint going to **** cut it, pal. Haha.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There's some very selective examination of the evidence in relation to unrecognised bias. There is very clear evidence regarding the "star club/athlete" effect. This probably helped the Raiders (unfairly) maybe 20 years ago... but it hasn't since. Of course, the effect is just as relevant for other clubs who might not be considered "star" clubs or have "star" athletes.

In the rush and fervour to claim that there are absolutely no problems with the refereeing, let's not pretend that evidence does not exist - that unconscious or unrecognised bias in officiating costs some teams more than others.

Incidentally, and as I have pointed out before, for some time I have been consistently saying that the Raiders simply need to be better, deal with the officiating unrecognised biases or errors, not complain about them, or use them as an excuse. Because to do those things is counterproductive. And given the NRL referees show little sign of becoming self aware and educating themselves about unrecognised bias... the only solution in the control of the Raiders is to "become a good team".