All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky's perfect raid

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Recruit Rater: Every club’s 2019 buys assessed, graded after eight rounds

RAIDERS

Notable recruits: John Bateman, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Ryan Sutton, Ata Hingano

Rating: A+

Analysis: Ricky Stuart wanted to change the way his side played in 2019, he knew the cattle he needed and he went after them. John Bateman has arguably been the buy of the season and it’s a crying shame we might not see him for the next two months as he recovers from a broken cheek bone.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Ricky's perfect raid

Post by simo »

Good new signing that hingano...
Dont delete this GE
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

We probably have 2 of the top 6 best signings of the year. Great recruitment work by Ricky and Peter M
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

simo wrote: May 7, 2019, 10:50 am Good new signing that hingano...
Hope he's better than the one we signed last year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Turt wrote: May 7, 2019, 11:24 am We probably have 2 of the top 6 best signings of the year. Great recruitment work by Ricky and Peter M
Sutton has been just as good as the other 2....I'd say 3 of the top 6.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sutton started slowly, but has really come on strong since he moved into the starting side

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: May 7, 2019, 1:59 pm Sutton started slowly, but has really come on strong since he moved into the starting side

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I remember Whitehead struggling his first few weeks as well. Once he became accustomed to the pace of the game and conditions he became a gun. Sutton has had a similar start, although he not quite the same level of player. He's more your middle 3rd grunt than dangerous edge forward.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

My question is, has John Bateman been incredibly quick to adjust to the speed of the NRL? Or is he still adjusting, meaning more improvement to come? Really, I can't see how.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Begbie wrote: May 7, 2019, 3:27 pm My question is, has John Bateman been incredibly quick to adjust to the speed of the NRL? Or is he still adjusting, meaning more improvement to come? Really, I can't see how.
I think the NRL is struggling to adjust to the speed of John Bateman.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 7, 2019, 3:31 pm
Begbie wrote: May 7, 2019, 3:27 pm My question is, has John Bateman been incredibly quick to adjust to the speed of the NRL? Or is he still adjusting, meaning more improvement to come? Really, I can't see how.
Fair assessment.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

:lol:
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We've hit pay dirt with recruitment. And not just those blokes named above.

Right know we have 4-5 very young, enthusiastic forwards who have all had a taste of FG.

With our spiritual leader Sia, beast Papalii and Whitehead we have a great core of players.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Full credit to Mulholland and Stick. I gave them a lot of flak last year but they look like they have nailed it by staying out of the arms race for NRL players.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Full credit to Mulholland and Stick. I gave them a lot of flak last year but they look like they have nailed it by staying out of the arms race for NRL players.
Yep full credit. As much for the recruitment as who we let go.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

simo wrote:Good new signing that hingano...
Laughed when i read that earlier on the nrl app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John bateman

Post by Dogman7 »

Bateman will definitely learn from attempted tackle, he got caught out by some classy footwork, then got smashed in eye, John was slightly to eager,
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: May 7, 2019, 5:27 pm Full credit to Mulholland and Stick. I gave them a lot of flak last year but they look like they have nailed it by staying out of the arms race for NRL players.
I think most of us thought we'd had a C+ recruitment over the off season.

There were a few who quietly thought Bateman might be the goods but plenty of questions over his size, what position he even played, whether he could transition. Sutton hadn't played for England so wasn't really setting pulsing races with the promise of quality. No-one predicted CNK would be delivering quality week in week out.

They have all paid off- even Simmonsen now looks like a guy who really needs a chance somewhere. There was a bit of doom and gloom around here over the off season. General consensus was that we were one quality middle and a halfback short.

We've got the quality middle in Sutton and Batemans awesomeness means Tapine can also be counted in there eventually. Jack is improving as a half. I doubt he'll be the absolute gamebreakinig show runner he was vs Penrith every week, I think he'll still have half a season of ups and downs while he learns but the signs are that he might end up very, very good as a half.

Best yet, as you say I think they should all have been available on a decent price, not overs. It was one of the biggest gambles of Ricky's coaching career, given the situation at the club. But it wasn't reckless- our other Poms all worked out better than expected and could give us the inside word on what guys were like. Cappy had had a close look at CNK and knew he had something worth seeing in FG. In my opinion the union and 7s converts are usually a big risk but as a squad filler, why not?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'm interested to see what happens next. We know they are going to grab Williams but will they also try and get a big NRL name like TPJ? I believe we would have a decent amount of money in the cap for next year based on Mulhollands comments last year and the rumored deal for Williams.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I was really nervous about our depth in the middle, but Sutton has been fantastic. To be honest, we've been pretty lucky with injuries there though. It's mainly in our second row that our depth has been tested.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Seiffert82 wrote:I was really nervous about our depth in the middle, but Sutton has been fantastic. To be honest, we've been pretty lucky with injuries there though. It's mainly in our second row that our depth has been tested.
Me too. I thought teams were going to just barge right through us all year. Very happy to be wrong.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 8, 2019, 11:33 am I was really nervous about our depth in the middle, but Sutton has been fantastic. To be honest, we've been pretty lucky with injuries there though. It's mainly in our second row that our depth has been tested.
And fortunately Bateman's ability to offer value anywhere means we can use him in there if we want a mobile middle replaced or Tapine there if we need a bigger body in there.

Worst case scenario now we are still bringing in guys with good potential like Guler or who can hold their own for a week or two without looking out of place like JJ or Hunt.

I think Ricky promoting guys with a bit of sting in their defence has been a factor- Hors hits hard, young can tackle, Havilii gets up and under guys a bit like Baptiste used to. So even if you're not running at Sia or Papa there are guys who can cut you down quick.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm frikken loving the Horsburger. Right up there with Bateman for mine, as far as attitude goes.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Raiders are definately the talk of the town.

I've got work mates hitting me up all the time.."how good are they going ?"

They are travelling so well I've got mates avoiding me..

Nothing to say I spose..they've been very quick to rip in the past few years.

But it's like they've all disappeared..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: