Is Jack Wighton finally ready for NSW Blues call up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Is Jack Wighton finally ready for NSW Blues call up?

Post by Botman »

**** Ramien is getting some serious smoke blown up his ****.... he's very talented, i wont deny that, but he's a LONG way off being in contention for this centre spot.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Timbo wrote: May 7, 2019, 2:26 pm Bird has butchered about four tries this season with the line open.

Leilua or Croker are the logical picks. I'd also cop Ramien, he's looked very very good when he's actually got some ball.
Croker is looking more like the player we saw prior to his injury in that final against Storm. That was the first of a series of knee injuries and he's not been the same since.

The last couple of weeks is really looking like the 2016 version again where he was on the verge of a post season Kangaroos jersey. If he continues that form then he's a genuine contender for that other centre spot. Of course this assumes James Roberts doesn't retain his position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

zim wrote: May 7, 2019, 12:00 pm I thought we'd be able to move past the Peachy is good talk this year. Ah well, round we go again. I think the play makers will be:
6. Keary
7. Cleary

As for the 14 it could be anyone of Victor Radley, Jack Bird or Wighton depending on what you want to cover and who else you have on your bench. Bird has been one of the better broncos players recently and always goes up a gear for big games but I'd be choosing either Radley or Wighton.

That right edge is going to be interesting. It's a real shame Mitchell isn't a right edge player or I think we'd be seeing Croker get in on the left.
Freddy could choose a Bird / Fergo right edge but I'd be hoping for a Leilua / Cotric combo. Surely guys like Roberts and Scott are out of the picture now they're in reserve grade.
If Radley plays 14 and a back gets injured what happens? Radley plays centre or five-eighth? That’d be a disaster imo.

Ditto Wighton and hooker. What happens? Wighton or a half that has never played hooker fills in there? Also a bit of a disaster imo.

Walker looks like the type of player who could fit in anywhere so I guess I could cop it.

Peachey’s Spot just should not be in danger though imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Is Jack Wighton finally ready for NSW Blues call up?

Post by Sid »

I feel like you could pick Victor to cover lock or Hooker plus a utility like Wighton in the same 17

I’m not sure what the 2nd rowers are like at covering centre, if any of them are good at that then alternatively to the above if there’s an injury to the backline or halves then a 2nd rower could move into left centre for Latrell to cover half/fullback/wing
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The second rowers are Cordner, Frizell and maybe Sims. None of them are capable at centre imo.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think the halves will be Cleary and Keary, however, ARey and Pearce will be in contention from an experience point of view. Origin isnt an open enough game for a Cody Walker to succeed IMO.

Centres will be Bird and Latrell. Like it or not, Bird is playing pretty well in an awful side, and has previous experience - though dropping 2 tries over the line looks bad. Not sure where the Raimen talk has come from, I havent been impressed with hims this year. BJ being inured wont help his cause, and I dont think Croker gets a look in unless goal kicking is in question. With Cleary and Latrell, it wont be.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

In relation to Bird, what is your definition of "playing well"?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The Rickman wrote: May 7, 2019, 10:20 am
Ruben Daley wrote: May 7, 2019, 6:22 am 6. Keary
7. Cleary

14. Walker

That's the logical form v incumbency selection, in my books. Also a combination that could work for a long time.

I think Wighton could handle Origin and adds a lot injury cover at 14 but not sure what his role would be if it's just as a sub. On the other hand, Walker could break the game open coming on when QLD is tired, which what Fittler will go for, I reckon.

Right centre will be tough. BJ is the form selection and who I'd choose but will have a big job shaking off his reputation as a loose cannon. Of the other options in that article, Roberts stinks, is injured and out of form; Jack Bird stinks and is out of form; Aitken isn't really good enough; and Croker is good enough but won't get a look in due to just not being the type of player that gets selected for Origin. So maybe Wighton is a chance there.
This is the best blend of form vs incumbency for mine too, although I still secretly hope NSW changes all three!

If Cleary is dropped after one winning series it just shows NSW have NFI how to build a winning squad over several seasons.
Yeah, that's my thinking too. Cleary hasn't looked good for quite some time but he's young and has all the skills, so you can't just axe him a year on from reclaiming the trophy. Maloney, on the other hand, has had a full rep career in which he performed well for a fair bit of it but he's now only barely up to NRL standard so can be taken out of the equation very easily without harming the culture.

I used to really like Peachey but I don't think he's produced for a fair while either. He's still got a lot of skills and is versatile but that's not enough for me to keep a guy without much of a rep history to fall back on and who's not in much form.

I also think Peachey is kind of a soft option. He can cover a lot of positions but picking a guy out of form because he'll be good if an injury strikes is pretty negative. The reason I'd go with Walker, who isn't as versatile, is that he's a game-breaker in unbelievable form and could prove the difference in a tight match. It also demonstrates confidence to the team.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I'd love to see Jack given a shot on the bench.

I can't see any logic to keeping the incumbent 6,7 and 14.
I think Keary and Cody Walker deserve to be named. Keary for his combination with Latrell and Tedesco and Cody with his combination with Cook. Maloney and Cleary simply aren't playing well enough to be selected. I think you pick on combinations moreso than form - kind of why Maloney and Cleary were selected together last year.
Not completely sold on Wighton but if it's him or Peachey I think Wighton offers more, but I've never rated Peachey.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I would be picking Wighton at Centre. Gives you an option to cover 1-6 and also 11-13 whilst not sacrificing a bench spot to cover injuries. I also think that aside he is the best centre available outside of Mitchell. Look who he would be up against, he would have a field day.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Bird playing well is a bit of a media driven myth atm imo. He’s rucking the ball up strongly but that’s about it.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: May 7, 2019, 6:23 pm
zim wrote: May 7, 2019, 12:00 pm I thought we'd be able to move past the Peachy is good talk this year. Ah well, round we go again. I think the play makers will be:
6. Keary
7. Cleary

As for the 14 it could be anyone of Victor Radley, Jack Bird or Wighton depending on what you want to cover and who else you have on your bench. Bird has been one of the better broncos players recently and always goes up a gear for big games but I'd be choosing either Radley or Wighton.

That right edge is going to be interesting. It's a real shame Mitchell isn't a right edge player or I think we'd be seeing Croker get in on the left.
Freddy could choose a Bird / Fergo right edge but I'd be hoping for a Leilua / Cotric combo. Surely guys like Roberts and Scott are out of the picture now they're in reserve grade.
If Radley plays 14 and a back gets injured what happens? Radley plays centre or five-eighth? That’d be a disaster imo.

Ditto Wighton and hooker. What happens? Wighton or a half that has never played hooker fills in there? Also a bit of a disaster imo.

Walker looks like the type of player who could fit in anywhere so I guess I could cop it.

Peachey’s Spot just should not be in danger though imo.
It's entirely dependent on the rest of your side as to how you shuffle. It's easy enough to move the side around if you have to cover one injury. As an example the Raiders do it all the time. Havili is not a back. You choose your most agile second rower and move him wider. Frizell has had to defend in the centres before.
If you have to you choose a play maker to feed the ball from hooker but still defend out wider. Keary has had to fill in at 9 before.

Peachey shouldn't have had a spot in the first place. He had no impact whatsoever. Being even worse this year shouldn't mean he's safe.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm sorry... when on earth would anyone select Peachey over Wighton, in any context?
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: May 7, 2019, 10:28 pm Bird playing well is a bit of a media driven myth atm imo. He’s rucking the ball up strongly but that’s about it.
Couldn't agree more. If he was playing for another club, he wouldn't rate a mention.

I think if you simplify Jack's game, give him 20 or so minutes off the bench, he would do a good job. High energy, hits hard, runs hard. Origin is less about playing structures and block plays, he wouldn't have to think too much.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

We're less than 1 month away now so here goes.
Players in bold weren't in the 17 for Game III last year

1 James Tedesco
2 Jack Wighton
3 Latrell Mitchell
4 Blake Ferguson
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Luke Keary
7 Nathan Cleary
8 David Klemmer
9 Damien Cook
10 Paul Vaughan
11 Boyd Cordner (c)
12 Tyson Frizell
13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange:
14 Jordan McLean
15 Tariq Sims
16 Victor Radley
17 Cody Walker

18. Angus Crichton
19. Nick Cotric
20. Tevita Pangai Jnr

- There are some players I haven’t been watching too closely, Angus Crichton could be in for Frizell, Sims or McLean
- Game 2: Turbo to Wing, either Walker or Wighton to drop out, the other to start from the bench

1 Kalyn Ponga
2 Dane Gagai
3 Michael Morgan
4 Will Chambers
5 Corey Oates
6 Cameron Munster
7 Ben Hunt
8 Jai Arrow
9 Cameron Smith ©
10 Josh Papalii
11 Gavin Cooper
12 Felise Kaufusi
13 Josh McGuire

Interchange:
14 Anthony Milford
15 Jarrod Wallace
16 Coen Hess
17 Tim Glasby

18 David Fifita
19 Edrick Lee

- Game 2: DCE to 7, Hunt to the bench for Milford
Last edited by Sid on May 8, 2019, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Ferguson is a winger only these days imo
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That pack but with Murray for Radley at lock with Trbo on the bench is what I think will be picked.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

julian87 wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:55 am Ferguson is a winger only these days imo
I was tossing up between switching Wighton and Ferguson there.
My main reason for having it this way was based on how I think the side will look when T. Trbojevic comes back, but T.T. could play centre too.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 8, 2019, 12:54 am I'm sorry... when on earth would anyone select Peachey over Wighton, in any context?
That's what I said further up. Wighton is twice the footballer Peachy is in all departments and the difference in an origin context is even more stark.

Peachy makes more errors per possession than Wighton so the "Jack makes too many errors" argument goes out the window.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's not that Jack just made errors in the past, it's the types of errors he made and the way tended to make a lot in a row.

I really don't think its so night and day between Peachey and Wighton, especially if you are talking about as a bench utility. You would have to go with Jack on form but Peachey has played a lot of very good football over the years. .
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

edwahu wrote: May 8, 2019, 10:40 am It's not that Jack just made errors in the past, it's the types of errors he made and the way tended to make a lot in a row.

I really don't think its so night and day between Peachey and Wighton, you would have to go with Jack on form but Peachey has played a lot of very good football over the years. Especially if you are talking about as a bench utility.
Radley or murray will be the 14. Jack has a shot at 4 or 5.
Dont delete this GE
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Sid wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:45 am We're less than 1 month away now so here goes.

1 James Tedesco
2 Jack Wighton
3 Latrell Mitchell
4 Blake Ferguson
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Luke Keary
7 Nathan Cleary
8 David Klemmer
9 Damien Cook
10 Paul Vaughan
11 Boyd Cordner (c)
12 Tyson Frizell
13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange:
14 Jordan McLean
15 Tariq Sims
16 Victor Radley
17 Cody Walker

18. Angus Crichton
19. Nick Cotric
20. Tevita Pangai Jnr

- There are some players I haven’t been watching too closely, Angus Crichton could be in for Frizell, Sims or McLean
- Game 2: Turbo to Wing, either Walker or Wighton to drop out, the other to start from the bench

1 Kalyn Ponga
2 Dane Gagai
3 Michael Morgan
4 Will Chambers
5 Corey Oates
6 Cameron Munster
7 Ben Hunt
8 Jai Arrow
9 Cameron Smith ©
10 Josh Papalii
11 Gavin Cooper
12 Felise Kaufusi
13 Josh McGuire

Interchange:
14 Anthony Milford
15 Jarrod Wallace
16 Coen Hess
17 Tim Glasby

18 David Fifita
19 Edrick Lee

- Game 2: DCE to 7, Hunt to the bench for Milford
Fitness and availability (Smith) pending, I think the below will be the sides picked.

NSW
Tedesco
Ferguson
Mitchell
Bird
Addo-Carr
Keary
Cleary
Klemmer
Cook
McLean
Cordner (c)
Frizzell
Trbojevic

Murray
Vaughan
Sims
Crichton

Walker
Radley
Cotric

QLD
Ponga
Oates
Chambers
Morgan
Gagai
Munster
Cherry-Evans
Scott
Smith (c)
Papalii
Kaufusi
Gillett
McGuire

Hunt
Arrow
Welch
Fifita

Milford
Hess
Ofahengaue
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

1 James Tedesco
2 Jack Wighton
3 Latrell Mitchell
4 Blake Ferguson
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Luke Keary
7 Nathan Cleary
8 David Klemmer
9 Damien Cook
10 Paul Vaughan
11 Boyd Cordner (c)
12 Tyson Frizell
13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange:
14 Jordan McLean
15 Tariq Sims
16 Victor Radley
17 Cody Walker
So you completely reshuffle your 3/4 line and select players out of position. That's totally ridiculous....which is also means it's what they will do.

Reckon you could qualify as a NSW selector. :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Articles on Facebook throwing out names as a replacement for Roberts in centres. In the comments there are a stack of people saying J Crocker. Who does he play for?
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:03 pm

1 James Tedesco
2 Jack Wighton
3 Latrell Mitchell
4 Blake Ferguson
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Luke Keary
7 Nathan Cleary
8 David Klemmer
9 Damien Cook
10 Paul Vaughan
11 Boyd Cordner (c)
12 Tyson Frizell
13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange:
14 Jordan McLean
15 Tariq Sims
16 Victor Radley
17 Cody Walker
So you completely reshuffle your 3/4 line and select players out of position. That's totally ridiculous....which is also means it's what they will do.

I haven't selected enough fullbacks to qualify for NSW selector, plus Josh Jackson and Mitchell Pearce aren't there!

I originally had Wighton and Ferguson switched. Like I said I guess Trbojevic could play centre when he comes back.
Also Fergo seems to be better on the right side of the field and Wighton on the left.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Wighton would be a good option at #14. He's a much better option than Peachey. Walker is probably his biggest competition assuming Walker misses out on a halves spot.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:22 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:03 pm

1 James Tedesco
2 Jack Wighton
3 Latrell Mitchell
4 Blake Ferguson
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Luke Keary
7 Nathan Cleary
8 David Klemmer
9 Damien Cook
10 Paul Vaughan
11 Boyd Cordner (c)
12 Tyson Frizell
13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange:
14 Jordan McLean
15 Tariq Sims
16 Victor Radley
17 Cody Walker

I haven't selected enough fullbacks to qualify for NSW selector, plus Josh Jackson and Mitchell Pearce aren't there!

I originally had Wighton and Ferguson switched. Like I said I guess Trbojevic could play centre when he comes back.
Also Fergo seems to be better on the right side of the field and Wighton on the left.
Needs more Dugan
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The more I think about this, the more I think Jack should be a red-hot chance for centre. As a few of you have pointed out, his defence is excellent, he makes great metres and he can cover the entire backline.

He also does everything Bird can do but better - and has more strings in his bow. No way Bird should be ahead of him.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The only thing against Wighton is he plays primarily on the left.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

He got huge wraps on the Gus Gould podcast today. Gus seemed very keen for him to get a spot on the bench, talked up his versatility and the fact that he is built like an Origin player. Given how close Gould is to Fittler, might happen.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

edwahu wrote: May 8, 2019, 4:50 pm The only thing against Wighton is he plays primarily on the left.
....and he doesn't play centre.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

TongueFTW wrote: May 8, 2019, 5:41 pm He got huge wraps on the Gus Gould podcast today. Gus seemed very keen for him to get a spot on the bench, talked up his versatility and the fact that he is built like an Origin player. Given how close Gould is to Fittler, might happen.
God I hate the "built like an origin player" line.