The Ricknaissance

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

The Ricknaissance

Post by Rickmando »

Well, Round 8 is in the books and we are an impressive 6-2... Rick has re-emerged as the coaching maestro we all thought he could be.

Defence fixed. Now a cornerstone of our game.

So folks, the big question now is - are you a nego, or are you a Rick-head??? Consider this the official thread for your take on the great man R. Stuart in 2019 and beyond (contract extension imminent I’m hearing).

And if you’re still a nego - what more does Rick need to do to convince you?
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Ricknaissance

Post by Manbush »

I’m impressed with this season so far but to be totally in praise of Ricky he’ll need to keep it up the remainder of the year and just as importantly next year, need to prove this isn’t going to be an anomaly.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Some of us saw this coming.
Some of us didn't.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

everything i said about ricky and getting rid of austin,boyd and paulo going a long way to fixing our issues have come true.

Happy days
raider 4 life
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Manbush wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:06 pm I’m impressed with this season so far but to be totally in praise of Ricky he’ll need to keep it up the remainder of the year and just as importantly next year, need to prove this isn’t going to be an anomaly.
Last couple of seasons much of the criticism for our results was levelled (rightfully) at the coach. That said it's reasonable to credit the coach with the current turnaround in fortunes.

Yes there is plenty more water to pass under the bridge but we can't comment on what hasn't happened yet. So it's full cudos to Stick.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Ill give you my answer after we play the 2 current best sides in the comp ie souths and roosters
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Great start to the year. Still pissed about the Manly result but 6-2 looks good. Worst case scenario in a fortnight we will be looking at 6-4 but overall the side has exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rick wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:54 pm Great start to the year. Still pissed about the Manly result but 6-2 looks good. Worst case scenario in a fortnight we will be looking at 6-4 but overall the side has exceeded my expectations.

But you're already all in with the username :roflmao

BadnRick or RIcknMean... I'm torn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:08 pm
Manbush wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:06 pm I’m impressed with this season so far but to be totally in praise of Ricky he’ll need to keep it up the remainder of the year and just as importantly next year, need to prove this isn’t going to be an anomaly.
Last couple of seasons much of the criticism for our results was levelled (rightfully) at the coach. That said it's reasonable to credit the coach with the current turnaround in fortunes.

Yes there is plenty more water to pass under the bridge but we can't comment on what hasn't happened yet. So it's full cudos to Stick.
Most definitely deserves credit for this season so far, curious what has happened and what’s being done differently for such a big turn around.

I just want to know this start isn’t going to be an anomaly before I’ll call him a coaching “maestro”, he’s had a good season before then we had a few atrocious years to follow.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Lucky wrote:Ill give you my answer after we play the 2 current best sides in the comp ie souths and roosters
We'll be well below strength for the roosters game

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Watching manly simply run around the Bulldogs gave me shudders. It’s no coincidence that they defend that way with Pay as coach.

I’ve always been a fan of Sticky but Cappy likely deserves some kudos too!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:Some of us saw this coming.
Some of us didn't.
Yup, some of us have been here from the start, despite being widely lambasted from the likes of dubby and Brew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
Rick wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:54 pm Great start to the year. Still pissed about the Manly result but 6-2 looks good. Worst case scenario in a fortnight we will be looking at 6-4 but overall the side has exceeded my expectations.

But you're already all in with the username :roflmao

BadnRick or RIcknMean... I'm torn.
Definitely RicknMean

Definitely

Or... RicknStick??

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:21 am
Some of us didn't.
Yup, some of us have been here from the start, despite being widely lambasted from the likes of dubby and Brew

You put the cannon back in the holster?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's the nature of sport. Team goes crap for a few years everyone wants the coach gone. When going well everyone wants to name their daughters Rick.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:21 am
Some of us didn't.

You put the cannon back in the holster?
To be fair, I had it in the holster before Round 1 even kicked off, and was quite open about it

Unlike some of these other bandwagoners, guys like myself, Pigrickman and Rickmando were on the Stick Train from the word go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I will always support Ricky and yeah it’s great where we are, unexpected. But I won’t buy in until the next fortnight to see where we are really at.
Every team we have beat bar Parra are struggling badly this season.

I’m really happy for Rick, I think Cappy has been a big player in all of this.
The players look committed and the attitude is spot on, it’s good to see for a change after all the articles we read every pre season!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Brew wrote: May 5, 2019, 11:24 am I will always support Ricky and yeah it’s great where we are, unexpected. But I won’t buy in until the next fortnight to see where we are really at.

The players look committed and the attitude is spot on, it’s good to see for a change after all the articles we read every pre season!

Roosters next week will be telling. No doubt we can beat them. It would need them to be off their game a little. Same with Bunnies after that.

I think what we're seeing is a very level comp outside the top 3 teams (Roosters, Storm, Bunnies). Picture all teams playing at their best and those 3 teams are well ahead of the pack. Then there is a bunch that will be battling it out for the remainder of the finals spots (sans Dogs and Titans).

What that all means is there's a top 4 spot up for grabs. A 6-2 start gives us a genuine shot at it.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Guys we just won a game 30-12 with a player in the bin for 10, losing one of our best during the game and missing our right backs. I think the measuring stick has been reached.
Losing to the roosters with 3 starters out won't affect my opinion.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

As long as we are competitive against the Roosters and Bunnies we are on track.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: May 5, 2019, 12:01 pm Guys we just won a game 30-12 with a player in the bin for 10, losing one of our best during the game and missing our right backs. I think the measuring stick has been reached.
Losing to the Roosters shouldn't devalue our current situation either. What the game will give us is a good indication of where we stand in relation to the top sides.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The coaching staff have done a great job this year. But more importantly, the new blood in our 17 have all reached or exceeded expectation.

I agree with the poster above saying a top 4 spot is up for grabs. We should be aiming to get to 16 wins after our fast start to the year. Meaning we need to go 10-6 from our remaining games. That will get us into the top 4 most likely (34 points with the bye included).
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Rick definitely seeing some of the results he has been pushing for a while now.
Don't underestimate Cappy's influence. I noticed in the sheds at halftime yesterday Cappy was front and centre...can't recall ever seeing Pay et al taking that role.
And this might be a tad controversial but from my perspective I can clearly see Ennis' fingerprints all over this squad tactics wise too. Especially Hodgo. Maybe he hasn't been as dynamic as previously but I have zero doubt he is our chief playmaker with the others complimenting his style and looks very Ennis-like these days
Good times !
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

a few faces have been shoved in so far
Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

The Ricknaissance

Post by Sid »

Is there any Ricknaissance merch available?
Who wouldn’t want a t shirt that reads ‘I had it shoved in my face 2019 rounds 1-8’
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Given the apparent gap between the top 3 and the rest would we be better off finishing 5th. I know you don't plan not to finish as high as possible but facing 8th place instead of 1st in the first week of the finals, and a win sees us up against a first round loser.
All that aside there is no reason we can't challenge the top 3 IMO. We won't be as affected by the Origin period as those top 3 sides.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd rather have the double chance than risk being eliminated week one if it does wrong

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

zim wrote: May 5, 2019, 12:01 pm Guys we just won a game 30-12 with a player in the bin for 10, losing one of our best during the game and missing our right backs. I think the measuring stick has been reached.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
raider 4 life
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: May 5, 2019, 6:52 pm Is there any Ricknaissance merch available?
Who wouldn’t want a t shirt that reads ‘I had it shoved in my face 2019 rounds 1-8’
"Stick it to 'em" tees are in production, but we have a wide range of "Sticky Situation" and "Nailed the off season" hoodies and caps. We're also talking to creative about some sort of "cowards" range, probably in both the hoodie and tee
Last edited by Botman on May 5, 2019, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Brew wrote: May 5, 2019, 11:24 am I will always support Ricky and yeah it’s great where we are, unexpected. But I won’t buy in until the next fortnight to see where we are really at.

Coward talk.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote:
"Stick it to 'em" tees are in production, but we have a wide range of "Sticky Situation" and "Nailed the off season" hoodies and caps. We're also talking to creative about some sort of "cowards" range, probably in both the hoodie and tee
We closed The GH Cafe Press store... but we could always open it up again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Manbush wrote: May 5, 2019, 6:55 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:08 pm

Most definitely deserves credit for this season so far, curious what has happened and what’s being done differently for such a big turn around.
No blobs - Boyd and Paulo - and no lunatic - Austin. Funny but we seem to have some energy at the end of games and not lose through idiots rushing out of the line in defence.

As a bonus, the players are noticeably going on about how much they all like each other.

Oh, and I predicted the fairytale ages ago. Remember that in October. The NRL have decided it's our turn.
Um, that last sentence was a joke.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

PigRickman wrote: May 5, 2019, 7:51 pm
Don’t forget our range of life-sized generic faces, perfect for shoving into
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:49 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 5, 2019, 7:51 pm
Don’t forget our range of life-sized generic faces, perfect for shoving into

:roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:32 pm No blobs - Boyd and Paulo - and no lunatic - Austin. Funny but we seem to have some energy at the end of games and not lose through idiots rushing out of the line in defence.
it's a really big part of it, replacing Boyd and Paulo with high motor guys has been huge. We're not being exposed in the middle, which allows proper spacing on the edges and help defenders. The best of them being JB.

It's tough to pin point JB's best quality but to me it's motor. He's such a willing an eager defender, he pushes the line speed up considerably, and his cover defence is really great. He just seems to pop up all over the park in scrabble. Just constantly working

God we're going to miss him