Post by zim »

BadnMean wrote: May 5, 2019, 4:34 pm
zim wrote: May 5, 2019, 12:56 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:44 am
zim wrote: May 4, 2019, 6:24 pm 1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield (looked comfortable and switched out the back fine)
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Lui (would love to change this up but too many injuries)
11. Young
12. Whitehead (on the right next to sam)
13. Sutton

14. Havili
15. Murchie (rotate with young)
16. Soliola
17. Horsburgh

So much quality out: Tapine, Bateman, Rapana.
Why? Lui was sensational yesterday in his first stint and has been great in every game this season. He couldn’t possible fulfil his role any better.
He wasn't sensational. But yes he can't fulfill his role any better. He's improved a lot and is playing well but there's still a gap between what he can bring and other starting packs when we go up against the top sides.
It leads to the same kind of worry I had against Melbourne where we are down 12-0 before our 2nd best prop came on. We're not going to win or lose the game based solely on where Lui lines up but I'd like us to be able to go in all guns blazing against the top sides.
No way to juggle that with all the injuries.
Lui is playing very well. Gets our sets off to a good start and has the fastest play the ball in the team. Effort like that makes it easiest and more yards for the next bloke and are exactly what you need from your role players like Lui to let the rest shine.
Except against Melbourne or when the panthers were on top of us early (as 2 examples). He's either getting dominated or not making an impact. He's great at pushing an advantage like when he's got a bit of space to move. Not great at creating one against better packs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

I reckon if we have all players fit, Lui misses out on a starting position, with Sutton starting at prop. No question about it for me. But with Bateman and Tapine both out, that's not going to happen for a while.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

True test coming for high-flying Canberra Raiders as Roosters, Rabbits await

FOR two years they've played off-Broadway, now the Canberra Raiders are keen to test themselves as the main act. Canberra is in third spot with a 6-2 record, and clears the way for consecutive blockbusters against the Roosters (first) in Brisbane this Sunday, followed by the Rabbitohs (second) in Canberra.

"We've got two big weeks coming up that will really test us. It should be a great weekend up there for Magic Round 30 or 40,000 will be there and we're looking forward to it," Jarrod Croker said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They're Magic Round's centres of attention - Joey Leilua and Latrell Mitchell

Joey Leilua against Latrell Mitchell. Two of the most exciting centres in the NRL. Head to head. Hopefully. If Leilua gets over the sore neck that forced him to miss what would've been his 200th NRL game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Really excited to see how Papa will play.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
11. Young
13. Sutton

14. Havili
16. Soliola
17. Horsburgh

Why? Lui was sensational yesterday in his first stint and has been great in every game this season. He couldn’t possible fulfil his role any better.
He wasn't sensational. But yes he can't fulfill his role any better. He's improved a lot and is playing well but there's still a gap between what he can bring and other starting packs when we go up against the top sides.
It leads to the same kind of worry I had against Melbourne where we are down 12-0 before our 2nd best prop came on. We're not going to win or lose the game based solely on where Lui lines up but I'd like us to be able to go in all guns blazing against the top sides.
Fair call. I just reckon he’s doing a fair bit of stuff that’s hard to notice if you’re not looking for it but is really valuable. But ‘sensational’ might have been the post-victory excitement talking.

* Conveniently ignores @matt’s stats *

I can’t wait for the day when Horsburgh comes steaming off the back fence to open the match.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:00 am Interesting to note Ricky answering in the presser quite forcefully that there would be no more forward rotation now?

Looked almost like it had been someone else’s idea, and he’d been very upset with the bench last week and he was overruling now.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into it. I think it would be a shame though, thought the rotation was a really good strategy for keeping them fresh. Still a long way to go.
Oh yeah, i picked up on that big time.

Either wasnt his idea, OR, he thinks thats why there has been some slip off in our game
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ugh... if that was someone elses idea, he should keep it, it was a good one
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:20 pm
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
11. Young
13. Sutton

14. Havili
16. Soliola
17. Horsburgh

Fair call. I just reckon he’s doing a fair bit of stuff that’s hard to notice if you’re not looking for it but is really valuable. But ‘sensational’ might have been the post-victory excitement talking.

* Conveniently ignores @matt’s stats *

I can’t wait for the day when Horsburgh comes steaming off the back fence to open the match.
Yeah hopefully we hear some re-signing news soon. If we're unlucky enough to get another injury in the forwards he might be spending a 15-20min stint starting for a game or 2 this year.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Woodgers wrote: May 5, 2019, 9:07 am I would be aiming for the least disruption possible. We want the same middle rotations that have been winning us games to give us the best chance against the benchmark. Sia leads that energy at the first interchange, I wouldn’t want to mess with that.

Agree with Whitehead on the right so the best option for me is Murchie on the left as he’s the next best 2nd row option with familiarity of edge defence. We just need him to do a defensive job on Crichton, we don’t need a whale of a game from him.

I’d go Oldfield on the right wing. Nothing against BS but I think we’ll need the size and height against Mitchell and Tupou (particularly for the cross kicks).

I’ve watched a fair bit of the Roosters lately and they are definitely the benchmark but they’re not outside our capabilities. In fairness they should have been beaten on Anzac Day and even though Tigers was a blowout, the Roosters didn’t get away from them until about 60 minutes and much of the play before that to get points was Latrell (or Keary) individual brilliance rather than them turning it on. I think they’re currently vulnerable if we turn up hungry. I guess what I’m saying in a roundabout way is they’re the best side in the comp but the past fortnight haven’t been near their peak performance so we’re a reasonable shot on Sunday.
RedRaider wrote: May 5, 2019, 3:13 pm I agree with those who say 'replace like for like'. A backrow forward is out and so we use a backrow forward as a replacement. Murchie for me. It will be interesting to see how the side does back up. The good news is that, like the Roosters, we get an 8 day turn around. While they are missing their hooker, we are missing 3 Internationals, two backrowers and a winger.

Hopefully BJ will be ready to go next Sunday.
I really like these 2 posts guys. I agree.

@Brew, glad to hear Tapine is a chance.

@Canberra Milk, thats fantastic news about Rapa.

Ill be honest, i liked the rotation policy. However, giving players 1wk seems odd. The 3-4wks seemed right to me.

As for the team....

The Whitehead shuffle to defend against the Panthers best backrower was a good move. Tougher call this wk, as Cordner and Crichton are both studs. However, given the Chooks left side is better than their right, I think Whitehead defends on the right this wk.

As for filling Bateos shoes, if Tapine is fit, and it needs to be 110% with his injury history of late, then thats a massive plus. He should not be named if he isnt 110%. Otherwise, its Young. He has earnt it. Going by Stuarts comments in the presser, thats the way he will go. It also means Murchie to the bench as the last standing backrower. How'd have thought our backrow stocks would be tested this yr?

Sia and Papa are middles now, their lateral movements are not good enough AND more importantly, we are too light on in the middle to lose them to an edge.

I hope we have Leipana back this wk. I worry about Oldie and Simmonsons ability to withstand what the Chooks left edge will throw at them. IMO, id go Oldie if BJ is out, but stick with Simmonson if Rapa is.

I made the call a couple of wks ago, but i think we stop the Chooks in magic round.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

What are your thoughts on Simonsson over Oldie?
I thought Oldie looked really comfortable. Simonsson's definitely got that x-factor but I thought looked a little green still.
Last edited by zim on May 5, 2019, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by BadnMean »

On the end of rotation comments:

It was a good idea for the first 2 months of the season- he got a bit of a look and a couple of games into everyone. Those who performed best, got more games. It's 2 months in and everyone should be match fit by now

Now he's had a look, he selects players who showed the most- he didn't say no-one else can force their way in, just that he will be picking those who perform. Now he needs to get those players who he thinks most likely to help our club win games in the finals well and truly hardened as he can for that level of footy. That means getting into a groove in your role, being accountable for your form, building combinations. Hardening up to top grade week in, week out. whole season is tough for some young players but it's 1/3 they've been nursed through now.

There will be some natural rotation through origin, injury and suspension among forwards and perhaps dips in form too. But it should be made clear for all players sake who the top team is. Gain confidence from that or "close but not quite, go work on XYZ young man". This isn't a soup kitchen.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: May 5, 2019, 9:31 pm What are your thoughts on Simonsson over Oldie?
I thought Oldie looked really comfortable. Simonsson's definitely got that x-factor but I thought looked a little green still.
Both were very effective fill ins. Surprised and impressed me with their defensive solidity.

Oldie is a big body, good pace and has done admirably as a fill in for us many times. It's not like he's a numpty with no x factor himself- he's scored hat tricks and has great speed if he hasn't lost any coming back from injury.

Simmonsen worked really hard to get himself involved and take tough carries, really looking to contribute. Looks exciting if he gets some space.

I think Oldie usually also has an error or two in his game though so I'm not sure he'd be any safer than Simmonsen. I'm tempted to give Simmonsen a go to reward his sparkling mounties form and see what he can do.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Good points. We're in a position where both replacements offer something.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders don't care about silencing doubters

Powerhouse Canberra forward Josh Papalii said silencing the pre-season critics played no part in the Raiders' superb start to 2019.

"I was very confident we could defend that, we trained in the off-season to be able to defend with nine men, so we really pushed for each other and worked hard for each other," Papalii said. "But we haven't done anything yet so there's no need to get carried away and Rick would say 'three losses in a row and everybody would forget about us and how our start was'."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/05/rai ... -doubters/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Had a look at ticket prices for the game. $90 for a seat behind the goal posts. :woot:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

We need to live on our right edge this game. You take latrell out of the game by keeping him in it.
Dont delete this GE
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Can I just say how truly thrilled I am that we are the seventh game to be played in four days on a pitch that has historically not held up well.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: May 6, 2019, 8:36 am Had a look at ticket prices for the game. $90 for a seat behind the goal posts. :woot:
They’re outrageous prices. I’ll be buying the cheapest possible.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

zim wrote: May 5, 2019, 9:31 pm What are your thoughts on Simonsson over Oldie?
I’d back whoever Stuart decides honestly. Oldfield is a tremendous back up but Simonsson hasn’t put a foot wrong either. Oldfield seems to be a bit heavier than he was 2/3 years ago and has not played a whole lot of wing the past 2 seasons where BS looks a genuine winger.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Northern Raider wrote: May 6, 2019, 8:36 am Had a look at ticket prices for the game. $90 for a seat behind the goal posts. :woot:
And $70 for a four year old! The prices are offensive, tbh. But I’m a sucker, so we’ll be taking my nephew to his first Raiders game - we need to take all the opportunities we can lest the in-laws turn him into a Broncos supporter.

And on the bright side, Sunday has turned out to be the best day of matches imo, in terms of being able to see three of the top four teams in action.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Smurfette wrote: May 6, 2019, 10:08 am
And $70 for a four year old! The prices are offensive, tbh. But I’m a sucker, so we’ll be taking my nephew to his first Raiders game - we need to take all the opportunities we can lest the in-laws turn him into a Broncos supporter.

And on the bright side, Sunday has turned out to be the best day of matches imo, in terms of being able to see three of the top four teams in action.
Cowboys vs Bunnies will attract a lot of people to so expect a big crowd.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lots of tickets left, I just checked.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Reckon they’ve overestimated how many Queenslanders will watch teams that aren’t the Broncos?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: May 6, 2019, 12:35 pm Reckon they’ve overestimated how many Queenslanders will watch teams that aren’t the Broncos?
They probably overestimated how many Queenslanders will watch the current Broncos as well.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I had a play on Ticketek on the weekend.

$10 for Thursday night- going to charity

Then $150 for average seats

$90 for okish seats.

Friday/Sunday you get 2 games at that price but Saturday you get 3 for the same price.....

Only sections to have sold out or are limited is the booze free seats

Rest plenty available, i am predicting either a rent-o-crowd or many empty seats

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Wow, what a rip off! They clearly don’t want to encourage the plebs to attend their games. I would have thought cheaper tickets and bigger crowds was the way to go. Im not a fan of the magic round (what’s magic about it?) and this hasn’t done anything to change my mind. :nooo
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

It's been mentioned before but the Bundesliga model of super low priced tickets, leading to packed houses, more fans, a game accessible to all, transfers great to TV and high junior participation/community engagement has done wonders for German football. In a crowded market like ours I think that is a far better model than trying to price like a Premier League match.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Premier league matches have tiered pricing depending on who you play. Ie it costs more if you play one of the top teams.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

A couple of the players have mentioned Tapine coming back - maybe not this week, but soon. Have I missed something or has there been good news regarding his injury?
Crocodile
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Crocodile »

Yay got my tickets. Sitting near the Raiders supporters bay. Can’t wait. I’m looking forward to attending a Raiders match in QLD playing against someone other than Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

wow that is crazy, i brought the whole weekend package in gold for like $310, not including Thursdays game
raider 4 life
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

nemesis wrote:wow that is crazy, i brought the whole weekend package in gold for like $310, not including Thursdays game
What doea that get you? Seats where?
Just curious

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: May 6, 2019, 3:04 pm A couple of the players have mentioned Tapine coming back - maybe not this week, but soon. Have I missed something or has there been good news regarding his injury?
He was spotted jogging without strapping by one of the stalkers...er... posters here last week...

Whether that means he's near playing or whether that means a strengthening /rehab build up of week of light jogging; followed by a week of straight line running; followed by a week of full on running with direction changes etc etc who knows.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

greeneyed wrote:Lots of tickets left, I just checked.
Yeah well you aren't going to get much action on tickets when they want $150 for a grandstand ticket or $90 to sit in the supporter section.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman