20%
Panthers 13+
10%

Total votes: 10

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Video: Kurt Longford addresses the team and autism: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... nd-autism/

Video: Canberra Raiders on the road: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... gga-wagga/

By the numbers: Raiders v Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -panthers/
I loved that video, that's why the raiders have improved their standing in Canberra since Ricky came on board

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Begbie wrote: May 6, 2019, 3:12 pm
Green thumbs wrote: May 6, 2019, 1:55 pm I think the Wagga game will do more for the club than the Magic round, which I think is a total waste of time. I’m annoyed it’s an ‘away’ game for the Broncos - seriously, how much help is that team given?
How is an away game? They're playing a Sydney team in their home ground.
That is exactly Green Thumbs point Begbie. The Bronco's game against Manly is listed in the NRL draw as a Manly home match. Instead it will be played at the Broncos home ground. It's why he put 'away' in inverted comma's. The NRL has given the Bronco's an extra 'home' game this year. The scheduling should have been for a Bronco's home game for the magic round. Once again the NRL looks after the Bronco's.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Green thumbs wrote: May 6, 2019, 1:55 pm I think the Wagga game will do more for the club than the Magic round, which I think is a total waste of time. I’m annoyed it’s an ‘away’ game for the Broncos - seriously, how much help is that team given?
Bruh

Have you watch them play this year? They arent being given enough help! This club needs every advantage it can get.

And im here for it all.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: May 6, 2019, 9:10 pm
That is exactly Green Thumbs point Begbie. The Bronco's game against Manly is listed in the NRL draw as a Manly home match. Instead it will be played at the Broncos home ground. It's why he put 'away' in inverted comma's. The NRL has given the Bronco's an extra 'home' game this year. The scheduling should have been for a Bronco's home game for the magic round. Once again the NRL looks after the Bronco's.
They've been getting an extra one for some time with the Storm taking a home game there (off the top of my head, maybe other clubs).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Begbie wrote:
So what, Brisbane have to play their game during a round specifically scheduled in Brisbane... elsewhere?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:
Begbie wrote:
So what, Brisbane have to play their game during a round specifically scheduled in Brisbane... elsewhere?

No it counts as an away game for them, so they have 13 home games while Manly get 11.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I very much doubt that Magic Round will last long, if it goes beyond this year. Rugby league fans are too tribal. To be honest, I don't have much interest in paying extra to see games between other clubs. I can already watch them on TV (and I'm paying for that already). I'm not even interested in staying for the Rabbitohs V Cowboys, on Sunday, to be honest. This sort of "festival" worked well for the Nines, but even that ran out of steam after a few years... and there, you were guaranteed of seeing your own club on each day.

I don't much like this option, but if the NRL is going to insist that clubs play at "bush" venues, then it'd be better to do that in one round instead of Magic Round and require every club to do it once every two years. We'd no doubt pretty quickly run out of decent quality venues in that case... but at least everyone would be a on a level playing field then. Instead of having a situation where the Broncos have 13 home games every year. And we'd only lose a home game every two years.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agreed. I think magic round is a truly **** idea
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 6, 2019, 9:24 pm
They've been getting an extra one for some time with the Storm taking a home game there (off the top of my head, maybe other clubs).
I take your point GE, but if the Storm make a decision to play away when they have the opportunity to play at home that is a decision for the Storm. In this case the NRL are taking the decision away from Manly and saying to them that they must play their scheduled home game in Brisbane. Again, I think if the 'magic round' was scheduled for a Bronco's home game it would not be such an issue.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd be on board for a regional round

Wagga, Bathurst, Mudgee, Orange, Tamworth, Cairns, Darwin and Gladstone

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: May 6, 2019, 9:46 pm I very much doubt that Magic Round will last long, if it goes beyond this year. Rugby league fans are too tribal. To be honest, I don't have much interest in paying extra to see games between other clubs. I can already watch them on TV (and I'm paying for that already). I'm not even interested in staying for the Rabbitohs V Cowboys, on Sunday, to be honest. This sort of "festival" worked well for the Nines, but even that ran out of steam after a few years... and there, you were guaranteed of seeing your own club on each day.

I don't much like this option, but if the NRL is going to insist that clubs play at "bush" venues, then it'd be better to do that in one round instead of Magic Round and require every club to do it once every two years. We'd no doubt pretty quickly run out of decent quality venues in that case... but at least everyone would be a on a level playing field then. Instead of having a situation where the Broncos have 13 home games every year. And we'd only lose a home game every two years.
Beyond this year?

I have doubts whether they'll complete the round.

8 matches in 4 days on that surface..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Great to see Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker make the NRL.com team of the week!

NRL Team of the Week: Round 8 results https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/05/cho ... k-round-8/ via @NRL

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Time to VOTE JOSH PAPALII Canberra Raiders fans!

NRL Tackle of the Week Round 8 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/06/cho ... r-round-9/ via @NRL
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

GOBSMACKED! Penrith Panthers James Maloney found not guilty of a "chicken wing" on Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman. What do you think Raiders fans? @NRL
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Even if Manly or Storm (in years gone by) agree, doesn't seem fair to other teams who get fewer home games. Home ground advantage is huge and gives an unfair advantage.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

PigRickman wrote:
hrundi89 wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:31 pm
Yep.

There are plenty of fans in the Riverina. We've had a strong history of signing players from the region.

Why shouldn't these fans get access to their regional club from time to time?

As a Sydney-based Raiders supporter, it just smacks of "Canberra-based Raiders supporters are the real Raiders supporters and they should be the ones who are looked after".

Young people from the region will likely move to Canberra or Sydney when they get older, so why not embed the Raiders with them? Turning your back on new markets is not good business.
Indeed, we dont give Riverina much, honestly we dont. But they provide so much to our club... we at least have to drip feed them or they'll starve and die (i.e find other teams since they'll lose the connection to this club)
this is a necessary sacrifice. The crowd seemed VERY pro Raiders. It was good to see.
In the 90s the raiders were THE team in the Riverina. They were huge.

They came to my home town, my high school, and were revered for it.

Rugby league and the raiders reigned supreme.

To deny the Riverina people is giving the game away to the AFL.

However.

If Wagga Wagga wants to host NRL games, they need to upgrade their facilities. Immediately.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: May 7, 2019, 7:34 pm @TheGHRaiders on Twitter

GOBSMACKED! Penrith Panthers James Maloney found not guilty of a "chicken wing" on Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman. What do you think Raiders fans? @NRL

so Toddy wants a successful and competitive magic round??? :? :o :shock:
Vaccinated
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote:Agreed. I think magic round is a truly **** idea ImageImage
Yep. It gets the first negative score on the gangers system-100 out of 1 gangers

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

dubby wrote: May 7, 2019, 7:57 pm
PigRickman wrote:
hrundi89 wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:31 pm
Yep.

There are plenty of fans in the Riverina. We've had a strong history of signing players from the region.

Why shouldn't these fans get access to their regional club from time to time?

As a Sydney-based Raiders supporter, it just smacks of "Canberra-based Raiders supporters are the real Raiders supporters and they should be the ones who are looked after".

Young people from the region will likely move to Canberra or Sydney when they get older, so why not embed the Raiders with them? Turning your back on new markets is not good business.
Indeed, we dont give Riverina much, honestly we dont. But they provide so much to our club... we at least have to drip feed them or they'll starve and die (i.e find other teams since they'll lose the connection to this club)
this is a necessary sacrifice. The crowd seemed VERY pro Raiders. It was good to see.
In the 90s the raiders were THE team in the Riverina. They were huge.

They came to my home town, my high school, and were revered for it.

Rugby league and the raiders reigned supreme.

To deny the Riverina people is giving the game away to the AFL.

However.

If Wagga Wagga wants to host NRL games, they need to upgrade their facilities. Immediately.

I spent a month in Narrandera in 2004 and AFL ruled supreme.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:

so Toddy wants a successful and competitive magic round??? :? :o :shock:
Yep, cause "toddy" chairs the judicary and all..

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's genuinely surprising. It was a shocker. The judiciary continues to be a total lottery
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Agreed. I think magic round is a truly **** idea ImageImage
Yep. It gets the first negative score on the gangers system-100 out of 1 gangers

That’s spot on score-wise, but not the first negative score. Other recent negative scores have been:
Phil Gould: -47 out of 62 gangers
Game of Thrones episode 3: -8 out of 12 gangers
Being bitten by an ant: -5 out of 0.32 gangers
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I haven't seen third episode of GoT, so you get -56 out of 12 gangers

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

HOW? He practically ripped his arm out!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Transcript shows the defendant argued the tackler was actually Arya Stark.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Begbie wrote: May 7, 2019, 7:45 pm
Even if Manly or Storm (in years gone by) agree, doesn't seem fair to other teams who get fewer home games. Home ground advantage is huge and gives an unfair advantage.
Correct. It just shouldn't be happening that ANY team gets more than 12 home games.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: May 7, 2019, 8:32 pm Transcript shows the defendant argued the tackler was actually Arya Stark.
And John Bateman was the Night King?