Panthers 13+
10%

Total votes: 10

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

Just out of curiosity has anyone watched the replay on the CNK sinbinning yet? I swear I heard the ref call out Josh and Paps was in in the tackle but maybe he was telling Josh Hodgo that CKN was going? By my look at it he pointed to and called out Paps but CKN ran off. Neither here nor there but just curious
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Billy Walker wrote:Just out of curiosity has anyone watched the replay on the CNK sinbinning yet? I swear I heard the ref call out Josh and Paps was in in the tackle but maybe he was telling Josh Hodgo that CKN was going? By my look at it he pointed to and called out Paps but CKN ran off. Neither here nor there but just curious
I mentioned this yesterday, was sure he said off ya go josh

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:21 pm
simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Great win at wagga wagga. Has that dried your tears about the game being taken away ge? Seeing all that support cheersl you up a touch? You crack a smile hmm?
I am very happy with the Raiders' performance. It was gutsy. They had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and didn't concede a point. They have Joe Tapine and Jordan Rapana on the sidelines, lost Joey Leilua late, before this match, and then lost John Bateman, who has been the Raiders' best player all season. It was gutsy and tough. Fantastic performance.

I haven't changed my view about taking a home game away. The code should not be taking premium NRL games to grounds with much poorer facilities for spectators, members, sponsors and media, and a guaranteed smaller crowd. The Raiders would have got a bigger crowd at Canberra Stadium, given the way the team is performing, IMO. The last two home crowds were 16-17,000.

It the NRL ever decides that the official policy is for all clubs to take NRL games to such grounds, I might be more inclined "shrug my shoulders" - even though I wouldn't agree with such a policy and I don't think it is ambitous. But that would require them to tell the Brisbane Broncos they can only play 11 games at Lang Park. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I don't think the NRL should be pressuring the Raiders to lose a home game - another one team town already in the middle of the "bush" - when they aren't prepared to tell the Broncos they can't play 13 games a year at Lang Park. The reason the NRL is never going to tell the Broncos to do this is the same reason that I think it is the wrong policy. We should be aiming to stage NRL games at the best possible venues and attract the best possible crowds.

I'm keen to see clubs supporting footy in the country. But there are other more sensible ways of doing that, than transferring NRL competition games to poorer venues.
Tl/dr
A simple, no im still being a cry baby would have been sufficient
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If the NRL really want to support rugby league in the bush, then play a game every Saturday at 3pm on Fox TV and also show it live on free to air into the regional areas only. That will do more for country rugby league than the odd game in the bush. We’re giving Saturday afternoon football to the AFL. Talk about a free kick.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

simo wrote: May 5, 2019, 3:44 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:21 pm
simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Great win at wagga wagga. Has that dried your tears about the game being taken away ge? Seeing all that support cheersl you up a touch? You crack a smile hmm?
I am very happy with the Raiders' performance. It was gutsy. They had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and didn't concede a point. They have Joe Tapine and Jordan Rapana on the sidelines, lost Joey Leilua late, before this match, and then lost John Bateman, who has been the Raiders' best player all season. It was gutsy and tough. Fantastic performance.

I haven't changed my view about taking a home game away. The code should not be taking premium NRL games to grounds with much poorer facilities for spectators, members, sponsors and media, and a guaranteed smaller crowd. The Raiders would have got a bigger crowd at Canberra Stadium, given the way the team is performing, IMO. The last two home crowds were 16-17,000.

It the NRL ever decides that the official policy is for all clubs to take NRL games to such grounds, I might be more inclined "shrug my shoulders" - even though I wouldn't agree with such a policy and I don't think it is ambitous. But that would require them to tell the Brisbane Broncos they can only play 11 games at Lang Park. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I don't think the NRL should be pressuring the Raiders to lose a home game - another one team town already in the middle of the "bush" - when they aren't prepared to tell the Broncos they can't play 13 games a year at Lang Park. The reason the NRL is never going to tell the Broncos to do this is the same reason that I think it is the wrong policy. We should be aiming to stage NRL games at the best possible venues and attract the best possible crowds.

I'm keen to see clubs supporting footy in the country. But there are other more sensible ways of doing that, than transferring NRL competition games to poorer venues.
Tl/dr
A simple, no im still being a cry baby would have been sufficient
Harsh
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Games in the bush I'm all good with.. Mmm maybe that came out wrong. Image But the should reduce membership cost by 1 game so u dont feel ripped off by it

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Memberships would have gone up this year if we played all games at GIO

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Elcaptcroker wrote: May 5, 2019, 12:25 am
greeneyed wrote:@Elcaptcroker The bottom line is, the potential to grow the sport, to grow the crowds... the answer is never going to be taking NRL matches to poorer quality venues with guaranteed smaller crowds. The ground at Wagga can't hold more than 10,000 people. I would reckon there are at least three Canberra Raiders Cup grounds that have better facilities all round. The people at Wagga produced a high quality surface today and have worked very hard to present the match. There's no doubt many great rugby league people who've done that, and they'll have no doubt had a great day. I do think that's great for the people of Wagga. But, in my view, it is a venue best suited to staging NRL trial matches. The Raiders hadn't been back there for over five years... and we easily could have staged more trials there than we have. Incidentally, the Raiders have also passed up opportunities to "grow their brand" when travelling to other clubs' games at NSW country venues in the past, doing no or little promotion in those towns. This year, the Raiders agreed to play a trial match in western Sydney!

I also don't think it is fair to take our home game away from the people of Canberra. We are the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders fans have to travel much more than the fans of most clubs to away games. There are only 12 rugby league games in Canberra for those people who can't afford to go to away games. Yet the club has decided that their home members/supporters should travel to another away game... six hours there and back. And that the cost of their memberships for 11 games should be the same as the 12 we had last year.

I might have been happier to travel if I had a chance of a grandstand seat at a reasonable price at Wagga. But you couldn't. A seat cost $220 and you could hardly describe it as a grandstand. I was treated much better by the Dragons and Panthers at Mudgee and Bathurst than I have been by my own club. Both of those clubs offered good grandstand seats at reasonable cost to away supporters. The Raiders didn't do that, even for their own members. I continue to be very disappointed with what the club has done on this and how they've gone about it.
Im sorry GE but that just screams of entitlement, i know a lot of members from that region who travel to nearly every home game, and they loved having the game there and it didnt just help wagga but the entire riverina which has a very strong league roots.
Plus i couldnt imagine anything worse then sitting up in a grandstand away from the action get me down on the fence cheering with everyone else and get caught up in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

There are plenty of fans in the Riverina. We've had a strong history of signing players from the region.

Why shouldn't these fans get access to their regional club from time to time?

As a Sydney-based Raiders supporter, it just smacks of "Canberra-based Raiders supporters are the real Raiders supporters and they should be the ones who are looked after".

Young people from the region will likely move to Canberra or Sydney when they get older, so why not embed the Raiders with them? Turning your back on new markets is not good business.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

hrundi89 wrote: May 5, 2019, 8:31 pm
Yep.

There are plenty of fans in the Riverina. We've had a strong history of signing players from the region.

As a Sydney-based Raiders supporter, it just smacks of "Canberra-based Raiders supporters are the real Raiders supporters and they should be the ones who are looked after".

Young people from the region will likely move to Canberra or Sydney when they get older, so why not embed the Raiders with them? Turning your back on new markets is not good business.
Indeed, we dont give Riverina much, honestly we dont. But they provide so much to our club... we at least have to drip feed them or they'll starve and die (i.e find other teams since they'll lose the connection to this club)
this is a necessary sacrifice. The crowd seemed VERY pro Raiders. It was good to see.
Splade
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Splade »

One takeaway from the game for me was extra forward support and ball movement this week. Sutton in particular looked to be working well in pairs and passes before the line quite a bit.

More of that please.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

hrundi89 wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: May 5, 2019, 12:25 am
greeneyed wrote:@Elcaptcroker The bottom line is, the potential to grow the sport, to grow the crowds... the answer is never going to be taking NRL matches to poorer quality venues with guaranteed smaller crowds. The ground at Wagga can't hold more than 10,000 people. I would reckon there are at least three Canberra Raiders Cup grounds that have better facilities all round. The people at Wagga produced a high quality surface today and have worked very hard to present the match. There's no doubt many great rugby league people who've done that, and they'll have no doubt had a great day. I do think that's great for the people of Wagga. But, in my view, it is a venue best suited to staging NRL trial matches. The Raiders hadn't been back there for over five years... and we easily could have staged more trials there than we have. Incidentally, the Raiders have also passed up opportunities to "grow their brand" when travelling to other clubs' games at NSW country venues in the past, doing no or little promotion in those towns. This year, the Raiders agreed to play a trial match in western Sydney!

I also don't think it is fair to take our home game away from the people of Canberra. We are the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders fans have to travel much more than the fans of most clubs to away games. There are only 12 rugby league games in Canberra for those people who can't afford to go to away games. Yet the club has decided that their home members/supporters should travel to another away game... six hours there and back. And that the cost of their memberships for 11 games should be the same as the 12 we had last year.

I might have been happier to travel if I had a chance of a grandstand seat at a reasonable price at Wagga. But you couldn't. A seat cost $220 and you could hardly describe it as a grandstand. I was treated much better by the Dragons and Panthers at Mudgee and Bathurst than I have been by my own club. Both of those clubs offered good grandstand seats at reasonable cost to away supporters. The Raiders didn't do that, even for their own members. I continue to be very disappointed with what the club has done on this and how they've gone about it.
Im sorry GE but that just screams of entitlement, i know a lot of members from that region who travel to nearly every home game, and they loved having the game there and it didnt just help wagga but the entire riverina which has a very strong league roots.
Plus i couldnt imagine anything worse then sitting up in a grandstand away from the action get me down on the fence cheering with everyone else and get caught up in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

Another facet of that is the majority of the Riverina is now AFL dominated

If the raiders don't do anything, in 5-10 years all the good kids that come into HM and SG Ball are gone to AFL

Trials aren't NRL games, if you can offer people the real deal it's 50x more beneficial to what you're trying to achieve. There would have been people there who had never been to a premiership game in their life, that are more likely now to travel over for a game than they were before.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GE is complaining about losing his franking credit refund here.

Is he clearly affected, his experience and value have been diminished - absolutely. Does he still have a pretty sweet deal in general and this solution is the greater net benefit to clubs and fans - I think so.

It was great to see so many Raiders jerseys in the crowd wasn’t it?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m no doubt going to start repeating myself. I don’t believe that you grow your code and club by taking your premium games to poorer quality venues, with guaranteed smaller crowds. I don’t see how it makes sense to push clubs already underserved for rugby league, in regional one team towns, to play at smaller venues with much smaller population bases. There are other things you can do to promote and support footy in regional areas. I note the Raiders have often chosen not to do those, probably much easier, things in the past (eg promotional activity having been taken to country venues by other teams, choosing to play trials in country towns).

It might make more sense to encourage teams from areas that are over served for rugby league to do it, yet there are Sydney teams who don’t do it at all... or if they’re transferring games, it’s to games in other cities (with high quality venues).

If the NRL decides, for some reason, to make it mandatory to play one NRL game a year in a small country town... and tell the Broncos they can’t play 13 games a year at Lang Park... I guess I’ll shrug my shoulders and say... at least there’s a level playing field. (They won’t ever ask the Broncos to do that, BTW, because it fundamentally doesn’t make long term commercial sense or as a way of growing your code ie there are not net benefits.)

I’ve been to footy games in plenty of country towns. But I expect to be able to get a grandstand seat at a reasonable price. Other clubs have offered me that as an away supporter. But that’s not something the club I’m a member of has offered me in this instance.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‪@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Lots of Canberra Raiders to vote for this week, #GreenNation!

Choose who should be in NRL Team of the Week: Round 8 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/05/cho ... k-round-8/ via @NRL‬

VIDEO: Roaming reporter Elliott Whitehead caught up with Michael Oldfield, Hudson Young, and Jack Wighton after their Round 8 win over the Penrith Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... the-sheds/

Gallery: Raiders triumph over Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... gga-wagga/

Round 8 2019 Team Song v Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -panthers/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How many people fall in love with the Raiders because they play a twelfth match in Canberra?

How many of the Wagga crowd became full-time Raiders fans after watching that game on the weekend?

I’ll tell you which number I think is bigger.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 6, 2019, 6:45 am I’m no doubt going to start repeating myself. I don’t believe that you grow your code and club by taking your premium games to poorer quality venues, with guaranteed smaller crowds. I don’t see how it makes sense to push clubs already underserved for rugby league, in regional one team towns, to play at smaller venues with much smaller population bases. There are other things you can do to promote and support footy in regional areas. I note the Raiders have often chosen not to do those, probably much easier, things in the past (eg promotional activity having been taken to country venues by other teams, choosing to play trials in country towns).

It might make more sense to encourage teams from areas that are over served for rugby league to do it, yet there are Sydney teams who don’t do it at all... or if they’re transferring games, it’s to games in other cities (with high quality venues).

If the NRL decides, for some reason, to make it mandatory to play one NRL game a year in a small country town... and tell the Broncos they can’t play 13 games a year at Lang Park... I guess I’ll shrug my shoulders and say... at least there’s a level playing field. (They won’t ever ask the Broncos to do that, BTW, because it fundamentally doesn’t make long term commercial sense or as a way of growing your code ie there are not net benefits.)

I’ve been to footy games in plenty of country towns. But I expect to be able to get a grandstand seat at a reasonable price. Other clubs have offered me that as an away supporter. But that’s not something the club I’m a member of has offered me in this instance.
ahh... La Reveal Magnifico
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

PigRickman wrote: May 6, 2019, 8:16 am
greeneyed wrote: May 6, 2019, 6:45 am I’m no doubt going to start repeating myself. I don’t believe that you grow your code and club by taking your premium games to poorer quality venues, with guaranteed smaller crowds. I don’t see how it makes sense to push clubs already underserved for rugby league, in regional one team towns, to play at smaller venues with much smaller population bases. There are other things you can do to promote and support footy in regional areas. I note the Raiders have often chosen not to do those, probably much easier, things in the past (eg promotional activity having been taken to country venues by other teams, choosing to play trials in country towns).

ahh... La Reveal Magnifico
Yeah it's blah blah blah I WAS PERSONALLY AFFECTED.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

gangrenous wrote: May 6, 2019, 7:49 am How many people fall in love with the Raiders because they play a twelfth match in Canberra?

How many of the Wagga crowd became full-time Raiders fans after watching that game on the weekend?

I’ll tell you which number I think is bigger.
100%
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nothing I’ve said in my last post should surprise anyone. I’ve said it all before. Of course I’m an unhappy customer (member). I’ve repeatedly made the point I’ve been treated better by other clubs at country venues than I have at my own. I’ve also long held the view that you don’t grow your code and crowd by taking games to inferior venues, particularly ones that guarantee a smaller crowd. I wrote about that prior to the Mudgee game last year, prior to Bathurst in 2017. I’ve written about it in relation to small, old Sydney suburban grounds. It’s not visionary to down size your stadiums. You don’t get more supporters by giving them poorer facilities. And on the weekend, I chose to vote with my feet. The value proposition was so poor, I chose not to attend.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

10,079 other people were happy to attend, a lot from Canberra

Think that will speak louder to the club tbh

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The thing is... they would have got a lot more people at Canberra Stadium, IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders.com.au Vote man of the match competition: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Raiders have always unofficially been the regional team for Southern NSW and we need to support that. They are Raiders fans too.

We can't bleat about the NRL doing nothing for regions/juniors compared to what AFL do and then complain when something gets done. Let's be leaders in that and speak from a place of moral and practical authority at least when we do make our case. When I lived in Oz I was a PE teacher and I can tell you AFL eats NRL alive in what resources and support they offer to get AFL into PE or school teams and even the free jerseys and stuff or camps etc they give to kids outside of school. Meanwhile your NRL Jersey is what- $90?

Things like fair dinkum games in country- not just trials- just let people know they aren't forgotten and they ARE part of the NRL/Raiders family. Maybe in return they'll make a trek into Canberra to take the kids to a GIO game once a year too... It's not a zero sum game, it's a pie we can grow and benefit from.

But how much were tickets? Someone said $200 :shock: :?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I was under the impression that the Raiders only moved the game for political reasons? If that's the case any argument that it was the right thing to do for Country footy seems specious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:The thing is... they would have got a lot more people at Canberra Stadium, IMO.
But for how many attendees would that have been a one off game that gave them a chance to experience NRL and want more in future? Not many, and virtually none that couldn’t have had that experience 11 other weekends this year.

In Wagga you might have had a shot at winning the hearts of thousands.

So the Raiders may have had 9000 less attend one game. But they may have had 1000 people go on to become members and attend, watch, buy merchandise at many points in the future.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BadnMean wrote:The Raiders have always unofficially been the regional team for Southern NSW and we need to support that. They are Raiders fans too.

We can't bleat about the NRL doing nothing for regions/juniors compared to what AFL do and then complain when something gets done. Let's be leaders in that and speak from a place of moral and practical authority at least when we do make our case. When I lived in Oz I was a PE teacher and I can tell you AFL eats NRL alive in what resources and support they offer to get AFL into PE or school teams and even the free jerseys and stuff or camps etc they give to kids outside of school. Meanwhile your NRL Jersey is what- $90?

Things like fair dinkum games in country- not just trials- just let people know they aren't forgotten and they ARE part of the NRL/Raiders family. Maybe in return they'll make a trek into Canberra to take the kids to a GIO game once a year too... It's not a zero sum game, it's a pie we can grow and benefit from.

For Wagga? max $35 per ticket

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: May 6, 2019, 1:09 pm
BadnMean wrote:The Raiders have always unofficially been the regional team for Southern NSW and we need to support that. They are Raiders fans too.

For Wagga? max $35 per ticket

Ah ok, I think they were factoring in hotels or travel too then. Carry on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The $200 figure was the price they were selling seats in the concourse/stand for ($220, which basically included access to the corporate facility... essentially what I now pay $125 for per game in Canberra). So I lost a game worth $115 and to get something similar at Wagga, it cost an extra $220. I would have essentially been out of pocket $335, simply because of the transfer of the game from Canberra to Wagga. That's abstracting from the cost of transport and any accommodation etc. $35 got you a GA ticket, no seating.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: May 6, 2019, 12:29 pm
greeneyed wrote:The thing is... they would have got a lot more people at Canberra Stadium, IMO.
But for how many attendees would that have been a one off game that gave them a chance to experience NRL and want more in future? Not many, and virtually none that couldn’t have had that experience 11 other weekends this year.

In Wagga you might have had a shot at winning the hearts of thousands.

So the Raiders may have had 9000 less attend one game. But they may have had 1000 people go on to become members and attend, watch, buy merchandise at many points in the future.
You could argue that you would get a similar outcome if you moved another home game to PNG, and then another to the south coast. I dare say you would likely get a good role out for a game in Perth, Adelaide and Darwin as well with new fans buying green stuff.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: May 6, 2019, 1:36 pm The $200 figure was the price they were selling seats in the concourse/stand for ($220, which basically included access to the corporate facility... essentially what I now pay $125 for per game in Canberra). So I lost a game worth $115 and to get something similar at Wagga, it cost an extra $220. I would have essentially been out of pocket $335, simply because of the transfer of the game from Canberra to Wagga. That's abstracting from the cost of transport and any accommodation etc. $35 got you a GA ticket, no seating.
Diddums
Dont delete this GE
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson

Post by Green thumbs »

I think the Wagga game will do more for the club than the Magic round, which I think is a total waste of time. I’m annoyed it’s an ‘away’ game for the Broncos - seriously, how much help is that team given?
In terms of games in the country, I think it would be fair if every club was required to play one home game each year in the country. That would at least show they were trying for a level playing field.
Having said that, Im so pleased the Raiders won convincingly. It’s a good lead into the big games coming up and will have built up lot of confidence.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Green thumbs wrote: May 6, 2019, 1:55 pm I think the Wagga game will do more for the club than the Magic round, which I think is a total waste of time. I’m annoyed it’s an ‘away’ game for the Broncos - seriously, how much help is that team given?
How is an away game? They're playing a Sydney team in their home ground.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Maloney is challenging the chicken wing charge!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Video: Kurt Longford addresses the team and autism: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... nd-autism/

Video: Canberra Raiders on the road: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... gga-wagga/

By the numbers: Raiders v Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -panthers/
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

When I was a little kid, my family spent some time living in Wagga Wagga. I remember that the junior footy kids were given free tickets to the Raiders with their memberships. My brother only availed of it twice; once when he went up on a bus with his team to play, and once when he went with my father. We couldn't afford to go any more often than that, and that was fairly representative of most families who followed NRL.

So I'm quite happy to give up one home game a year so that the bush kids can see the Raiders carve up. Country towns aren't full of wealthy people, especially when there's a drought hitting hard. They're certainly not full of people who can buy corporate boxes or grandstand seats or multiple memberships. Nothing wrong with giving a little back, especially if it reinforces club loyalty in a traditional area.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)