20%
Panthers 13+
10%

Total votes: 10

Peter
Jason Croker

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Peter »

Stuart saying in the presser that the bench will be the same from here on in and decided on form. No more rotating the young guys.

Murchie and Guler have really fallen down the pecking order. Not to mention Royce Hunt who probably won’t see a game all year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: May 5, 2019, 12:02 am
greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 11:48 pm I know that RedRaider. It is a two year deal and I'll be missing another "home" game next year, because I won't attend games where the club is selling matches to the highest bidder at the expense of their members. The more concerning thing is that the Raiders seem to want a "permanent" deal, of the sort the Panthers have at Bathurst.

Basically, the club has told me this year... I'm putting my hand in your pocket for something like $120 taking a game away. And if you want something like you had... spend another $220 to attend the game at Wagga at an inferior facility. So spend another $340 a year to get something sort of like what you had... but travel an extra six hours in a day... cost of a tank full of petrol... or maybe, at my rapidly advancing age... add a night's accomodation and the other expenses of an away game. $340, plus $100, plus maybe $150 (I don't know what a decent motel/hotel costs on that particular weekend). That's an extra $500 at least I reckon.

That's the way to thank your loyal members!
Hotel/Motel accommodation would have been high priced this weekend because they also had the Wagga Wagga Gold Cup horse racing carnival on. My mate, who lives in Wagga Wagga, told me the City was packed with visitors for the two events.
Thanks RedRaider, so you're confirming it'd cost me even more.

Not to mention that ACT taxpayers are paying something like $188,000 a game this year for the Canberra Raiders' appearances in Canberra (from memory)... except they reneged on their contract, took a game away, were penalised $150,000... reportedly have that penalty met by Wagga Council and so they still walk away with a profit from ACT taxpayers money for breaking the agreement... and the club was still complaining this week about the penalty! And ACT taxpayers still lose out!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I am a glass half full type of person GE. So look at the money you have saved by not going to Wagga Wagga. Laughing all the way to the bank.:)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Peter wrote: May 5, 2019, 12:09 am Stuart saying in the presser that the bench will be the same from here on in and decided on form. No more rotating the young guys.

Murchie and Guler have really fallen down the pecking order. Not to mention Royce Hunt who probably won’t see a game all year.
I'm glad form will be the main criteria from here on in Peter - touch wood there is little further injury. I think current season form should always be the main criteria. Given we have lost a back rower due to injury, I hope we replace like for like and pick another back rower to replace him. I see Sia as a middle forward these days so it would be Murchie into the 17.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

greeneyed wrote:@Elcaptcroker The bottom line is, the potential to grow the sport, to grow the crowds... the answer is never going to be taking NRL matches to poorer quality venues with guaranteed smaller crowds. The ground at Wagga can't hold more than 10,000 people. I would reckon there are at least three Canberra Raiders Cup grounds that have better facilities all round. The people at Wagga produced a high quality surface today and have worked very hard to present the match. There's no doubt many great rugby league people who've done that, and they'll have no doubt had a great day. I do think that's great for the people of Wagga. But, in my view, it is a venue best suited to staging NRL trial matches. The Raiders hadn't been back there for over five years... and we easily could have staged more trials there than we have. Incidentally, the Raiders have also passed up opportunities to "grow their brand" when travelling to other clubs' games at NSW country venues in the past, doing no or little promotion in those towns. This year, the Raiders agreed to play a trial match in western Sydney!

I also don't think it is fair to take our home game away from the people of Canberra. We are the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders fans have to travel much more than the fans of most clubs to away games. There are only 12 rugby league games in Canberra for those people who can't afford to go to away games. Yet the club has decided that their home members/supporters should travel to another away game... six hours there and back. And that the cost of their memberships for 11 games should be the same as the 12 we had last year.

I might have been happier to travel if I had a chance of a grandstand seat at a reasonable price at Wagga. But you couldn't. A seat cost $220 and you could hardly describe it as a grandstand. I was treated much better by the Dragons and Panthers at Mudgee and Bathurst than I have been by my own club. Both of those clubs offered good grandstand seats at reasonable cost to away supporters. The Raiders didn't do that, even for their own members. I continue to be very disappointed with what the club has done on this and how they've gone about it.
Im sorry GE but that just screams of entitlement, i know a lot of members from that region who travel to nearly every home game, and they loved having the game there and it didnt just help wagga but the entire riverina which has a very strong league roots.
Plus i couldnt imagine anything worse then sitting up in a grandstand away from the action get me down on the fence cheering with everyone else and get caught up in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Elcaptcroker Entitlement? I am someone who has traveled all over the country to follow the Raiders over a long time. I have slept in the street in Canberra winters to buy tickets to finals games. I'm someone who has paid for memberships when I didn't even live in the country and I couldn't even go to games... just to know I "have my seat", that I'm still supporting the club. I did that for four years. I have paid for multiple memberships in recent years when they couldn't be used... well I won't explain why I have done that. But in retrospect I was probably just stupid doing that. I have spent much of my own time (and over time, dollars) supporting the club... And you turn around and accuse me of being "entitled"? Why shouldn't I expect that Canberra's home games are played at home? That's what the Raiders promised the ACT Government and the Canberra community. They broke their promise. They broke the contract.

You might wish to be standing on the fence at Wagga (or maybe any ground)... but that's not what I personally want to do or have paid to when I go to watch the Raiders, an NRL game. I'm someone who wants a seat, protection from the elements... and that is what people will increasingly want. They will want Western Sydney Stadiums. And that is the way of the future, in my view. The days of small grounds with poor facilities... they're great for local comps... I attend them every week when I go the the Canberra Raiders Cup... but the NRL should not be aspiring to play at such venues IMO. They should be aspiring for much bigger crowds and much better venues. And that requires population centres that are much bigger than country towns can support. It is basic demographics. It is probably an unpopular thing to say, but there is no avoiding it.
Hairy
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Hairy »

Perhaps the Raiders playing a single home game in wagga is a way of solidifying the region as development area. Given the cutbacks in development funding, if the next Laurie Daley is inspired to play for the Raiders because he saw a live game in Wagga, I'm all for taking one game a year away from Canberra. I fully understand the objections from GE and anyone else that feels that the Wagga game was the wrong call, but as Shakespeare said "**** it, Mal Meninga came from some place too".

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hairy... support for players and the code in the bush doesn’t require a Raiders home NRL game to be transferred. Nor did the development of Mal Meninga. There are many other ways. The most obvious are playing trials and conducting promotions and visits when teams play in the country, which the Raiders have more than once not done.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:52 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:38 pm
gergreg wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:33 pm So how long does a fractured eye socket keep you out of the game?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
NRL Physio is saying 4-10 weeks, depending on if he needs surgery or not.
Can’t we just use the other Bateman for spare parts and swap out his eye socket?
post of the day - superb
Hairy
David Shillington

Post by Hairy »

Mal Meninga was a poor example (Shakespeare never saw him play live) however, I personally feel that the positive relationship that a single game each year in the Riverina can build outweigh the negatives. I may be wrong and I completely understand your point. I have more respect for your opinion than just about anyone on this forum but i disagree on this one. I think we can spare one game a year on building positive relationships given that we no longer put the same $$ into junior development that we used to.

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:57 pm Hard to argue with any of the points you’ve made there GE
agree. all of those points are true.

On the flip side: I happened to be in Wagga this weekend for a mates 40th. I went to watch my his kids play soccer this morning at one of local grounds (with 25 fields) - raiders jerseys everywhere. I took his 11 y.o. to the game as he's a raiders fan, even though his dad is a tigers fan. He had heaps of friends going in the same age bracket. Riverina appears to love the Raiders which can't be a bad thing.

Note i'm a non-ticketed member from the central coast, so my comments are not unbiased - the lucky clash gave me the opportunity to catch a game live, which I typically only get to do once every other year
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Boomercm wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:57 pm Hard to argue with any of the points you’ve made there GE

On the flip side: I happened to be in Wagga this weekend for a mates 40th. I went to watch my his kids play soccer this morning at one of local grounds (with 25 fields) - raiders jerseys everywhere. I took his 11 y.o. to the game as he's a raiders fan, even though his dad is a tigers fan. He had heaps of friends going in the same age bracket. Riverina appears to love the Raiders which can't be a bad thing.

Note i'm a non-ticketed member from the central coast, so my comments are not unbiased - the lucky clash gave me the opportunity to catch a game live, which I typically only get to do once every other year
Growing up in the riverina, it really is raiders league land, but so is the brumbies rugby area too, the difference is the pressence the raiders show out there compared to the brumbies

Hairy
David Shillington

Post by Hairy »

GE all the points that you raised are very relevant. If these were addressed and improved on (i.e. communication, direct contact with junior teams) would this make you feel more comfortable with the Raiders taking a home game to the bush? Or do the potential negatives outweigh the potential positives?

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

GE makes good solid points but, they lack vision.

Like other posters have said, there needs to be better communication internally. We need to look at short and long term. The team is doing well and we need to build off this. Have we all forgotten that we have been irrelevant for over 20 years?

Good times/bad times we always need to focus a part of our energy on the junior base.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 11:25 pm Interesting watching the replay. Andrew McFadden doing a lot of talking and really laying down the law at the half time break.
Yep, I’ve been very critical of Sticky, and have to admit that this year he has stepped it up. But I wonder how much of the change is that he is stepping ‘back’? With crappy and Ennis, I wonder if now that we finally have some competent assistants if that is the real difference in defence and attitude, and stick is taking more of a top line motivational role than a technical one. That has always been his forte.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Elcaptcroker wrote: May 5, 2019, 2:10 am
Boomercm wrote:

Growing up in the riverina, it really is raiders league land, but so is the brumbies rugby area too, the difference is the pressence the raiders show out there compared to the brumbies

I don’t think there is any argument that playing a game in Wagga is a great thing for Wagga and the Riverina ang GE isn’t arguing that. He feels dudded as a passionate Canberra based member that the raiders have broken a contract and taken a game away from people like him who bought memberships in good faith and without compensation. You could take 6 home games a year to regions and I’m sure it would be wonderful for every region you play at but they are the Canberra Raiders not the Capital region raiders.

I have to admit I’m not fussed about playing the odd game in regional areas, but when I read GE’s points I can’t argue with anything he says to the point I genuinely feel bad for him and can see how he feels the club has dudded him here.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Wait they are doing something because I am one of those QLD based fans and I haven't heard anything? You got any info GE

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I reckon our Raiders rock...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

it was another impressive win , Panthers could have easily won that game in the early stages of the 1st half , but we didnt allow them , we disrupted their game plan. We slogged it out for 80min.

Im really impressed with CNK , he is growing into a very good fullback. His positional play is brilliant. I think he is still playing on one leg , no way is he 100% and still puts in 100% effort.

With CNK going so well and owning the No1 it hasn't allowed any noise of a Wighton switch back , which no doubt would be happening if he we didn't have a capable fullback.

I never doubted Jacks move would work , he is a gun player.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Boomercm wrote: May 5, 2019, 1:46 am
Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:52 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:38 pm
gergreg wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:33 pm So how long does a fractured eye socket keep you out of the game?

NRL Physio is saying 4-10 weeks, depending on if he needs surgery or not.
Can’t we just use the other Bateman for spare parts and swap out his eye socket?
post of the day - superb
Pull his ribs out for Rapa while he is on the table
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

GE i am a QLD member and really looking forward to the meet and greet for us QLD members, im glad the club recognises QLD members, we have a really strong support base up here, tracing back to the 80s when Souths Logan fed the likes of Mal, Badge, Peter Jackson and so on, if the club coukd give us one afternoon a season on the Gold Coast or Brisbane for an open train day or captains run it would do a lot to attract more away QLD membership
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

thedevilingreen wrote: May 5, 2019, 6:56 am Wait they are doing something because I am one of those QLD based fans and I haven't heard anything? You got any info GE

There’s a function for members (only signed up members) on Friday... you should have received an email and need to register.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kryptonite wrote: May 5, 2019, 7:26 am GE i am a QLD member and really looking forward to the meet and greet for us QLD members, im glad the club recognises QLD members, we have a really strong support base up here, tracing back to the 80s when Souths Logan fed the likes of Mal, Badge, Peter Jackson and so on, if the club coukd give us one afternoon a season on the Gold Coast or Brisbane for an open train day or captains run it would do a lot to attract more away QLD membership
I agree the Raiders could have done much more than they have for members in Queensland, given there are three matches played there every year.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

greeneyed wrote:
thedevilingreen wrote: May 5, 2019, 6:56 am Wait they are doing something because I am one of those QLD based fans and I haven't heard anything? You got any info GE

There’s a function for members (only signed up members) on Friday... you should have received an email and need to register.
Missed the email and the event is now apparently sold out. So yeah there's that.

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Great win at wagga wagga. Has that dried your tears about the game being taken away ge? Seeing all that support cheersl you up a touch? You crack a smile hmm?
I am very happy with the Raiders' performance. It was gutsy. They had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and didn't concede a point. They have Joe Tapine and Jordan Rapana on the sidelines, lost Joey Leilua late, before this match, and then lost John Bateman, who has been the Raiders' best player all season. It was gutsy and tough. Fantastic performance.

I haven't changed my view about taking a home game away. The code should not be taking premium NRL games to grounds with much poorer facilities for spectators, members, sponsors and media, and a guaranteed smaller crowd. The Raiders would have got a bigger crowd at Canberra Stadium, given the way the team is performing, IMO. The last two home crowds were 16-17,000.

It the NRL ever decides that the official policy is for all clubs to take NRL games to such grounds, I might be more inclined "shrug my shoulders" - even though I wouldn't agree with such a policy and I don't think it is ambitous. But that would require them to tell the Brisbane Broncos they can only play 11 games at Lang Park. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I don't think the NRL should be pressuring the Raiders to lose a home game - another one team town already in the middle of the "bush" - when they aren't prepared to tell the Broncos they can't play 13 games a year at Lang Park. The reason the NRL is never going to tell the Broncos to do this is the same reason that I think it is the wrong policy. We should be aiming to stage NRL games at the best possible venues and attract the best possible crowds.

I'm keen to see clubs supporting footy in the country. But there are other more sensible ways of doing that, than transferring NRL competition games to poorer venues.
I agree. The club should have the foresight to only move games when we are having a **** year and sub 7000 turn up at Canberra stadium.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:52 pm
Schifty wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:38 pm 12 goals in a row for our captain who apparently can't kick :hmmm
It appears he's No. 2 on the top point scorer list in the NRL.
I think it's 15 consecutive goals
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

nemesis wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:58 pm
simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 8:03 pm The number of teams who have lost to us by being “off their game” is starting to stack up
it's a long list now ha ha, raiders never get the credit, i keep hearing we haven't played a good team except melb, well we have played half the teams so there must not be many good teams in the comp ha ha
I was actually thinking that most of the teams this year are pretty trash. If it wasn't for the Roosters and Storm (and maybe Bunnies) being so good, the premiership this year is ripe for the picking!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I just remembered something.

Another time when we'd won a lot of games but people kept saying it was because we were playing bad teams and that when we played the team in first and second - as we were doing on consecutive weeks, one home, one away - we would be shown for what we were.

We won both games convincingly and shut them up.

It was 2016...and we're defending even better this year.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Not confident with Oldfield at centre.

No Rapana, no BJ. There goes our X Factor. There goes our strike power. Lord knows our spine has zero power

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Aaaaaand, as usual you were wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I understand entirely where GE is coming from regarding his membership. The decision to play matches in Country areas though was part of the trade off by the NRL when City V Country was canned. I was always a supporter of City V Country and always will be despite its demise. In an effort to get more high quality matches in Country areas Clubs have been asked to take a home game to the Country. The NRL has to support the game in Country areas. This is their way to do it. I liked it when City v Country was part of the Rep round.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Maloney and Liam Martin charged for the dangerous throw and Maloney for the chicken wing:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/05/rou ... uspension/

Maloney might get a week in total for both offences.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

one week for 2 acts that can really hurt a person, the nrl only come down hard when there is an injury and that is why there will always be these incidents
raider 4 life
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As a Canberra based member I had no issue with travelling out. Went to the races on Friday, game on Saturday and checked out the pubs in between.

It's a great spot and was a great weekend, but the facilities at McDonald's Park are crap, and there's next to 0 public transport and the allotted parking was a debacle so I can see why some people are pissed.

People who parked on the side of Kooringal road got out straight away

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Yeah I’m a big fan of taking a couple of home games to the country area’s in our territory. I would propose 2 per year fixed on the calendar. One in Bega once they get the $10m upgraded facility and one in Wagga Wagga or a major town out that way.

This should remain fixed to grow the supporter base until we can consistently sell out Bruce Stadium for every home game.

The cowboys ran this strategy for years a while back with games in Cairns and Mackay, now supporters travel from those areas for most home games. 8 hour journeys to Townsville and back. I lived in cairns 10 years ago, it was I believe how many people I new who would travel to support.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

nemesis wrote:one week for 2 acts that can really hurt a person, the nrl only come down hard when there is an injury and that is why there will always be these incidents
How can he have no offense ( similar or not similar ) in the last 2 years? He had an offense 30min before the 2nd one?

1 week seems crazy, and that was at least a grade 2 chicken wing, he carried it on even after the tackle stopped!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated