20%
Panthers 13+
10%

Total votes: 10

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Ultima wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:08 pm I can't see entirely on the angles but we seem to be an age back in defence...
The ground not only has poor facilities for spectators, but also for the media. There is no structure at the ground that provides a decent vantage point for the cameras... that produces a decent television broadcast. It was pretty awful. They resorted a lot to the ground level cameras on the sidelines.

The atmosphere... if it was there at the ground, it wasn't coming through on TV. The Viking Clap... I don't think I've heard a worse one. Virtually no sound coming from the crowd.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:33 pm So how long does a fractured eye socket keep you out of the game?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
NRL Physio is saying 4-10 weeks, depending on if he needs surgery or not.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raiderskater wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:38 pm
gergreg wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:33 pm So how long does a fractured eye socket keep you out of the game?

But we have our own real resident doctor. That trumps a physio! What do you think Dr Zaius?!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:36 pm
Ultima wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:08 pm I can't see entirely on the angles but we seem to be an age back in defence...
The ground not only has poor facilities for spectators, but also for the media. There is no structure at the ground that provides a decent vantage point for the cameras... that produces a decent television broadcast. It was pretty awful. They resorted a lot to the ground level cameras on the sidelines.

The atmosphere... if it was there at the ground, it wasn't coming through on TV. The Viking Clap... I don't think I've heard a worse one. Virtually no sound coming from the crowd.
Youre a real dubby level sad sack about this
Dont delete this GE
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

Sid wrote: May 4, 2019, 6:29 pm Wasn’t there a pre-season thread about a handful of posters who were strongly backing Coach Ricky for this year and would re-asses after 8 rounds? Where are Rick’s disciples now, I’m keen to hear whether they’re going to extend the Rickventure or not.

shouldn’t they be here shoving it in all our faces ?!
I'm one of them but i don't need to shove it in anyone's face, all the people calling for his head can see they were wrong ;)
raider 4 life
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:38 pm 12 goals in a row for our captain who apparently can't kick :hmmm
It appears he's No. 2 on the top point scorer list in the NRL.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Can’t we just use the other Bateman for spare parts and swap out his eye socket?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:52 pm

Can’t we just use the other Bateman for spare parts and swap out his eye socket?
Or are sockets configured differently in the UK?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:42 pm How do they transport that dirty great big Viking horn up the highway?
It was actually constructed in the Riverina, so I guess the same way it got to Canberra. I was disturbed to hear it sounding off, today, even though David Barnhill wasn't blowing into it!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:
Well played Image
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 8:03 pm The number of teams who have lost to us by being “off their game” is starting to stack up
it's a long list now ha ha, raiders never get the credit, i keep hearing we haven't played a good team except melb, well we have played half the teams so there must not be many good teams in the comp ha ha
raider 4 life
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:52 pm Bateman is a massive loss but I’m not concerned. We have a squad with solid depth this year
I'm worried. If you saw the Roosters and Rabbitohs this weekend... and then look at the Raiders injury list... well that's why I'm worried, anyway.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Well, other Bateman himself is injured.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:08 pm

Well, other Bateman himself is injured.
We only need his eye socket
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Well played Image
Yep, leading quote of the year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Great win at wagga wagga. Has that dried your tears about the game being taken away ge? Seeing all that support cheersl you up a touch? You crack a smile hmm?
I am very happy with the Raiders' performance. It was gutsy. They had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and didn't concede a point. They have Joe Tapine and Jordan Rapana on the sidelines, lost Joey Leilua late, before this match, and then lost John Bateman, who has been the Raiders' best player all season. It was gutsy and tough. Fantastic performance.

I haven't changed my view about taking a home game away. The code should not be taking premium NRL games to grounds with much poorer facilities for spectators, members, sponsors and media, and a guaranteed smaller crowd. The Raiders would have got a bigger crowd at Canberra Stadium, given the way the team is performing, IMO. The last two home crowds were 16-17,000.

It the NRL ever decides that the official policy is for all clubs to take NRL games to such grounds, I might be more inclined "shrug my shoulders" - even though I wouldn't agree with such a policy and I don't think it is ambitous. But that would require them to tell the Brisbane Broncos they can only play 11 games at Lang Park. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I don't think the NRL should be pressuring the Raiders to lose a home game - another one team town already in the middle of the "bush" - when they aren't prepared to tell the Broncos they can't play 13 games a year at Lang Park. The reason the NRL is never going to tell the Broncos to do this is the same reason that I think it is the wrong policy. We should be aiming to stage NRL games at the best possible venues and attract the best possible crowds.

I'm keen to see clubs supporting footy in the country. But there are other more sensible ways of doing that, than transferring NRL competition games to poorer venues.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:42 pm How do they transport that dirty great big Viking horn up the highway?
It was actually constructed in the Riverina, so I guess the same way it got to Canberra. I was disturbed to hear it sounding off, today, even though David Barnhill wasn't blowing into it!
Everything was off, the presentation was very scrappy

John Bateman was announced as Luke Bateman in the intros

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

greeneyed wrote:
simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Great win at wagga wagga. Has that dried your tears about the game being taken away ge? Seeing all that support cheersl you up a touch? You crack a smile hmm?
I am very happy with the Raiders' performance. It was gutsy. They had a player in the bin for 10 minutes and didn't concede a point. They have Joe Tapine and Jordan Rapana on the sidelines, lost Joey Leilua late, before this match, and then lost John Bateman, who has been the Raiders' best player all season. It was gutsy and tough. Fantastic performance.

I haven't changed my view about taking a home game away. The code should not be taking premium NRL games to grounds with much poorer facilities for spectators, members, sponsors and media, and a guaranteed smaller crowd. The Raiders would have got a bigger crowd at Canberra Stadium, given the way the team is performing, IMO. The last two home crowds were 16-17,000.

It the NRL ever decides that the official policy is for all clubs to take NRL games to such grounds, I might be more inclined "shrug my shoulders" - even though I wouldn't agree with such a policy and I don't think it is ambitous. But that would require them to tell the Brisbane Broncos they can only play 11 games at Lang Park. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I don't think the NRL should be pressuring the Raiders to lose a home game - another one team town already in the middle of the "bush" - when they aren't prepared to tell the Broncos they can't play 13 games a year at Lang Park. The reason the NRL is never going to tell the Broncos to do this is the same reason that I think it is the wrong policy. We should be aiming to stage NRL games at the best possible venues and attract the best possible crowds.

I'm keen to see clubs supporting footy in the country. But there are other more sensible ways of doing that, than transferring NRL competition games to poorer venues.
To be fair GE 3 months ago or so when they announced this game, did you honestly believed we would be in this position?

If this game was last year the crowd would of been bigger in wagga then it would of been in canberra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Elcaptcroker The bottom line is, the potential to grow the sport, to grow the crowds... the answer is never going to be taking NRL matches to poorer quality venues with guaranteed smaller crowds. The ground at Wagga can't hold more than 10,000 people. I would reckon there are at least three Canberra Raiders Cup grounds that have better facilities all round. The people at Wagga produced a high quality surface today and have worked very hard to present the match. There's no doubt many great rugby league people who've done that, and they'll have no doubt had a great day. I do think that's great for the people of Wagga. But, in my view, it is a venue best suited to staging NRL trial matches. The Raiders hadn't been back there for over five years... and we easily could have staged more trials there than we have. Incidentally, the Raiders have also passed up opportunities to "grow their brand" when travelling to other clubs' games at NSW country venues in the past, doing no or little promotion in those towns. This year, the Raiders agreed to play a trial match in western Sydney!

I also don't think it is fair to take our home game away from the people of Canberra. We are the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders fans have to travel much more than the fans of most clubs to away games. There are only 12 rugby league games in Canberra for those people who can't afford to go to away games. Yet the club has decided that their home members/supporters should travel to another away game... six hours there and back. And that the cost of their memberships for 11 games should be the same as the 12 we had last year.

I might have been happier to travel if I had a chance of a grandstand seat at a reasonable price at Wagga. But you couldn't. A seat cost $220 and you could hardly describe it as a grandstand. I was treated much better by the Dragons and Panthers at Mudgee and Bathurst than I have been by my own club. Both of those clubs offered good grandstand seats at reasonable cost to away supporters. The Raiders didn't do that, even for their own members. I continue to be very disappointed with what the club has done on this and how they've gone about it.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hard to argue with any of the points you’ve made there GE
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:
It sounded off when he first blew the Viking horn, I’m pretty sure the second time was just the echo..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

gangrenous wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Well played Image
ImageImageImage
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

that was a good win, that panthers side should have beaten souths last week and we ground them into the ground.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:57 pm
greeneyed wrote:
It sounded off when he first blew the Viking horn, I’m pretty sure the second time was just the echo..
I've been at that ground before... it's in the middle of nowhere! No echoes!
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

He'll be gutted if he misses the Souths game - he came through the juniors with Tom and George and I believe they're all good mates.

And I'll be gutted not seeing five Bradford juniors in one game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'll be gutted if Bateman misses any game. He was all primed to take on Kikau, and it was David and Goliath like... and he was unlucky in the battle. You've just gotta love him.

Don't care a zot about South Sydney players!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting watching the replay. Andrew McFadden doing a lot of talking and really laying down the law at the half time break.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

No more premiership games in Wagga or other regional areas please. Wish the NRL could step in and ban this type of ****.

You can't become a world class sporting competition playing in grounds capable of holding only 10,000 people. Further to that, it dilutes the culture you are building (or should be building) in a fan base and cheapens a club.

Can you imagine some of the big EPL clubs trying to pull this stuff off?. Their fans would **** riot.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 10:21 pm

I don't mean to upset you GE, but I watched the game with the bloke who ran Rugby League in Wagga Wagga up until a couple of years ago. He told me that the Raiders have agreed to be back in Wagga Wagga again next year.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Sorry if I've missed it anywhere, but does anyone know how exactly Bateman damaged his face? On tv it looked like it might have been a random and stray elbow or hip from Kikau. In which case, karma etc...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I know that RedRaider. It is a two year deal and I'll be missing another "home" game next year, because I won't attend games where the club is selling matches to the highest bidder at the expense of their members. The more concerning thing is that the Raiders seem to want a "permanent" deal, of the sort the Panthers have at Bathurst.

Basically, the club has told me this year... I'm putting my hand in your pocket for something like $120 taking a game away. And if you want something like you had... spend another $220 to attend the game at Wagga at an inferior facility. So spend another $340 a year to get something sort of like what you had... but travel an extra six hours in a day... cost of a tank full of petrol... or maybe, at my rapidly advancing age... add a night's accomodation and the other expenses of an away game. $340, plus $100, plus maybe $150 (I don't know what a decent motel/hotel costs on that particular weekend). That's an extra $500 at least I reckon.

That's the way to thank your loyal members!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 4, 2019, 11:48 pm Sorry if I've missed it anywhere, but does anyone know how exactly Bateman damaged his face? On tv it looked like it might have been a random and stray elbow or hip from Kikau. In which case, karma etc...
Looked like a head clash with Kikau.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 11:49 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: May 4, 2019, 11:48 pm Sorry if I've missed it anywhere, but does anyone know how exactly Bateman damaged his face? On tv it looked like it might have been a random and stray elbow or hip from Kikau. In which case, karma etc...
Looked like a head clash with Kikau.
I guess that would do it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

A very happy day for Green Thumbs 45th wedding anniversary and Neeeegz son's birthday - both received the gift of two Raiders competition points. A very Fourth-ful display by the Raiders. We have now moved to third on the competition table after 8 rounds.

Having been at the ground, I can tell those who were questioning our ability to take short drop outs that the ball was coming straight out of the sun at that time of the afternoon in the second half. I was on the hill in front of the big screen and even for us it was difficult to see the ball due to the glare from the sun. At ground level it would have been near impossible to get any focus on the football.

I didn't see the John Bateman injury incident. I was hoping we had come through the match unscathed but unfortunately that was not the case. The side needed to lift defensively after the 'effort' against Manly last week and they did. A special word for Young and HorsPower. They really had a crack. You could see how eager they were with every touch of the footy. On the game itself the only really poor effort came with the Tamou try. How no one could tackle him during such a long run was just rubbish. No one wanted to get to him. It was the Raiders of 2018 or 2017. Hopefully it proves to be a one off lapse.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2019, 11:48 pm I know that RedRaider. It is a two year deal and I'll be missing another "home" game next year, because I won't attend games where the club is selling matches to the highest bidder at the expense of their members. The more concerning thing is that the Raiders seem to want a "permanent" deal, of the sort the Panthers have at Bathurst.

Basically, the club has told me this year... I'm putting my hand in your pocket for something like $120 taking a game away. And if you want something like you had... spend another $220 to attend the game at Wagga at an inferior facility. So spend another $340 a year to get something sort of like what you had... but travel an extra six hours in a day... cost of a tank full of petrol... or maybe, at my rapidly advancing age... add a night's accomodation and the other expenses of an away game. $340, plus $100, plus maybe $150 (I don't know what a decent motel/hotel costs on that particular weekend). That's an extra $500 at least I reckon.

That's the way to thank your loyal members!
Hotel/Motel accommodation would have been high priced this weekend because they also had the Wagga Wagga Gold Cup horse racing carnival on. My mate, who lives in Wagga Wagga, told me the City was packed with visitors for the two events.