10%

Total votes: 10

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:53 pm
Timbo wrote:I was only able to listen to that on the wireless so haven’t seen any footage - sounded like our discipline was poor? We gave away quite a few penalties
I thought there was a lot of scrappiness in the ruck from both teams. Tough game to referee with so much niggle.
Yeah that sums it up nicely I think
That game was VERY chippy, felt like it could bubble over at any time... the **** was a bit of a mess as a result
Probably suited us tbh
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

-PJ- wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Are we happy ?

You betcha..

My shed is open late..
Damn and i`m in Wollongong :cry:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Green Taipan wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:39 am Today we get to see how much Ricky has progressed as a coach. Given it took him 5 yrs to address the defence issues I have grave concerns about his capacity to fix the many deficiencies (defence, discipline, patience, ball control, line speed, set-plays, selfish plays etc) laid bare in last week's loss. The four point deficit was not a true reflection on how badly the Raiders played. It still amazes me that after such a long tenure Ricky has still not developed a suite of set plays. The Raider's attack last week in the red-zone was piss-poor as it usually is. If we win today, it's going to be on the back of some individual brilliance. After today, the going get really tough so a win here is crucial!
Seemed to do pretty well today.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

2nd place on the ladder (for now) and best defense in the comp. Looking good. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

PigRickman wrote: May 4, 2019, 4:50 pm Boom
Hit the bricks panthers, you dirty ****

Huge credit to Sam Williams today, he defended his **** off in a game many including me thought he would be exposed
Wot
WorkChoice
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Begbie wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:54 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:40 pm I hope Ricky lets them get on the grog after that effort
Except for Wighton, let him drive the bus.
Certainly won’t be letting Papa drive haha
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Sid »

Wasn’t there a pre-season thread about a handful of posters who were strongly backing Coach Ricky for this year and would re-asses after 8 rounds? Where are Rick’s disciples now, I’m keen to hear whether they’re going to extend the Rickventure or not.

shouldn’t they be here shoving it in all our faces ?!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Give some kids a chance and they will repay the faith.

Some huge kudos to Ricky.
WorkChoice
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Very good win

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

PigRickman wrote:
BJ wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:53 pm
Timbo wrote:I was only able to listen to that on the wireless so haven’t seen any footage - sounded like our discipline was poor? We gave away quite a few penalties
I thought there was a lot of scrappiness in the ruck from both teams. Tough game to referee with so much niggle.
Yeah that sums it up nicely I think
That game was VERY chippy, felt like it could bubble over at any time... the **** was a bit of a mess as a result
Probably suited us tbh
We gave away some dumb penalties in the first half. But I thought the refs were a bit inconsistent with the ruck in the first half. But then Panthers out-dumbed us in the second. That penalty to Hodgson when he did the 1-on-1 strip and then just handed it back to the Panthers to play, was rough I thought. Get them up and give the ball back to Hodgson. It didn't deserve a penalty. I thought there were also a few knock ons and strips that could've gone either way.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

LP Raider wrote: May 4, 2019, 6:31 pm Give some kids a chance and they will repay the faith.

Some huge kudos to Ricky.
Yeah - I can’t fault any of the younger players given a shot this year. I can’t reall Simmonsen or Oldfield making a mistake today. Neither were outstanding but both were more than serviceable. I wouldn’t be concerned about either stepping up when needed.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

I'll be interested to see who takes Batemans spot.... I don't think Young did enough to get the start. Papa played some big minutes today.... Maybe Sia gets the start with a reshuffle.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

boydy80 wrote: May 4, 2019, 7:02 pm I'll be interested to see who takes Batemans spot.... I don't think Young did enough to get the start. Papa played some big minutes today.... Maybe Sia gets the start with a reshuffle.
There is pretty solid cover right through the squad. Injuries are never great but if the replacements continue to step up and we get through to finals with the majority of the squad available these injuries may be a blessing in disguise. It wasn’t great losing BJ today but the fact Oldfield stood up did a job, got the experience and we got 2 points is probably a great outcome in the scheme of things.

Be terrible if we go on a losing streak with Bateman out but if we hold solid and blood a new player or two and have Bateman coming back into a side with momentum in 4 - 10 weeks time I’m happy!
Danster
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Danster »

Trying mentally to not get too carried away Roosters next week will be a class above most teams we have met besides Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honourable Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Proudly representing the Croker Electorate since 2007
Winner of the Greenhouse Tipping Comp 2007
Greeneyed Member #6260
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I thought Young was pretty good. He seems to have improved a little each game which would make for a happy coach.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders dominate Penrith Panthers

The Penrith curse is broken, but Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says his team will have to stand up with star John Bateman sent for scans on his eye socket.

"It was a really tough win and there the ones that count at the end of the year. Those real tough ones like that are really valuable," Stuart said. "[Bateman's] not going to be there every game through his time here so we've got to stand up like they did today.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 30 (Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Hudson Young tries; Jarrod Croker 7 goals) defeated PENRITH PANTHERS 12 (Nathan Cleary, James Tamou tries; Cleary, James Maloney goals) at Wagga Wagga. Referees: Grant Atkins, Dave Munro. Crowd: 10,079.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Is Jack Wighton jumping into a case of the NSW Origin Blues?

Jack Wighton's switch to Canberra Raiders has been so stunning, could he playing his way into the State of Origin mix?

He certainly was head and shoulders above the NSW Blues' incumbent halves James Maloney and Nathan Cleary in Wagga Wagga and he has a bit of utility value about him as well.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders thrash Panthers as injuries take their toll: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/04/rai ... heir-toll/

Papa: Don't preach about weight loss, I'm same size: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/04/pap ... same-size/

Raiders victory over Panthers comes at a cost: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/04/rai ... at-a-cost/

Panthers left devastated by horrendous injury toll: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/04/pan ... jury-toll/

Raiders thrash Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -panthers/

Match Highlights: Raiders v Panthers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/04/mat ... -panthers/
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Good tough niggily win against a team that had there backs against the wall.
We were playing without both Leipana, tarps and Bateman ( I understand they also had injuries during the game ).

One thing I didn’t understand ( had no volume at the pub ) why was a penalty given for the inside ball to CNK which sent him straight through and the resulting set of six gave them there first try ??
Either way great win and bring on the top 2 !!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Danster wrote: May 4, 2019, 7:11 pm Trying mentally to not get too carried away Image Roosters next week will be a class above most teams we have met besides Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beyond Souths, Melbourne and Rooters who worries you? No doubt sharks, dragons and tigers have their moments but I’d hope if we turn up we have their measure. I think we should genuinely be a top 4 team this year and the next 2 weeks will shed a bit of light around where in that 4 we stand.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Westsydneyraider wrote:Good tough niggily win against a team that had there backs against the wall.
We were playing without both Leipana, tarps and Bateman ( I understand they also had injuries during the game ).

One thing I didn’t understand ( had no volume at the pub ) why was a penalty given for the inside ball to CNK which sent him straight through and the resulting set of six gave them there first try ??
Soliola was in front of the play the ball, and never retired to an on side position.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Westsydneyraider wrote: May 4, 2019, 7:17 pm Good tough niggily win against a team that had there backs against the wall.

I think it was Sia or Havili that gave the offload to CKN that was in front of the play the ball and never back onside. The Panthers were pinged for the same thing on the last try they had disallowed
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Couple points:

- If we keep this up for another 2-3 games, I'll be convinced we're contenders. From memory if Sticky's sides are good, they're generally great throughout the entire season. If they're keep, we see it nice and early

- Both Ivan and Nathan Cleary are criminally overrated. Particularly Ivan, consindering he's been coaching for so long and there are plenty of people who STILL rate him highly
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

That was comfortably the best performance from the Raiders since 2016.

Missing three internationals and losing another early doors, the players completely controlled the game - slowing it down when needed and speeding up when there was an opportunity.

The defence was brutal and the attack more fluid than at any other time this season.

All of the players that came in stood up and the experienced guys gave the younger players something to rally around.

The Panthers started well, but their failures were as a result of Raiders pressure. I know they're doing it tough at the moment, but we made the Panthers look like a park side.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

MrPosh wrote: May 4, 2019, 7:41 pm That was comfortably the best performance from the Raiders since 2016.

Missing three internationals and losing another early doors, the players completely controlled the game - slowing it down when needed and speeding up when there was an opportunity.

The defence was brutal and the attack more fluid than at any other time this season.

All of the players that came in stood up and the experienced guys gave the younger players something to rally around.

The Panthers started well, but their failures were as a result of Raiders pressure. I know they're doing it tough at the moment, but we made the Panthers look like a park side.
Well said Mr Posh 100% agree. Many are saying Penrith were poor but I thought they started well and we made a good side look poor
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The number of teams who have lost to us by being “off their game” is starting to stack up
Dont delete this GE
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

simo wrote: May 4, 2019, 8:03 pm The number of teams who have lost to us by being “off their game” is starting to stack up
Haha very true
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:Geez, on paper that Panthers team should beat us by a lot. Their halves alone are way above ours

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
This is why sport isn't played on paper

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

boydy80 wrote: May 4, 2019, 7:02 pm I'll be interested to see who takes Batemans spot.... I don't think Young did enough to get the start. Papa played some big minutes today.... Maybe Sia gets the start with a reshuffle.
Should be Young!

But Rick has run a “seniorocracy” in the past, always reluctant to give young promising players a run.

He’s shown some signs of learning this year though... will he continue this #Ricknaissance???
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Rickmando wrote: May 4, 2019, 8:39 pm
Should be Young!

But Rick has run a “seniorocracy” in the past, always reluctant to give young promising players a run.

He’s shown some signs of learning this year though... will he continue this #Ricknaissance???
I dont think its really all Stuart at all regarding the willingness to rotate the young forwards, i think its more the influence of McFadden
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-TW- wrote: May 4, 2019, 8:11 pm
dubby wrote:Geez, on paper that Panthers team should beat us by a lot. Their halves alone are way above ours

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
This is why sport isn't played on paper

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This is true. If it was, we would have beat Manly last week.

As soon as I found out BJ was out, I thought we were no chance. To win and win well with no BJ, no Raps, no Tarps, no Bateman for most of the game, coupled with the fact it was against our bogey side the Panthers (who have managed to run us down in the past 4 games), and also playing at a country venue (we typically perform poorly), I thought it was a really gritty win. The boys should be proud of their efforts.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fears over John Bateman eye socket in Raiders win over Panthers in Wagga

SOME gloss has been taken off the Canberra Raiders' triumphant Wagga christening with fears John Bateman may have fractured his eye socket in Saturday's 30-12 win over Penrith.

"They've taken him to hospital to get an eye socket scanned. Hopefully it's not too many weeks if it is long term," Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said. "He's not going to be there every game through his time here, so other have to stand up like they did today and take some responsibility.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Confident Jack Wighton ready to take over games for Canberra Raiders in successful halves switch

JACK Wighton is channelling Taylor Swift - when he makes a blue, he shakes it off.

"You've just got to stay confident. It's going to go wrong at some point but you just bounce back, get back on board and go again. The best in the game make mistakes week-in, week-out, it's what you do after it. Obviously you want to minimise mistakes but when they happen, moving on is the key point.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Wighton was absolutely blinding today, I was very impressed and am fully prepared to stand up and admit that I was wrong when I had such misgivings about this.

Even better, CNK just gets better all the time, which also eliminates my other misgiving about it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Most of the major points are covered but just a few other short ones.

That was easily Whitehead's best game of the year on both sides of the ball. I was really impressed with his game. Keep him on the right next week against Cordner and Mitchell I reckon and find a replacement at left edge.

I think that bench is our best at the moment. I love what Hudson Young is bringing in energy, effort and workrate. I also liked the use of Horsburgh, holding him back to the last 20 for some real punch.

Jack's kicking is improving out of sight, his boot in the first half into the breeze was a big contributor to why we won and why we went in at halftime with confidence.

Sutton is playing so far beyond what I thought we would get from him this season and is impressing me more and more.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So how long does a fractured eye socket keep you out of the game?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

gergreg wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:33 pm So how long does a fractured eye socket keep you out of the game?

Bateman? Probably 1-2.
Days
Dont delete this GE