RIP Canberra Raider No. 81, Alfie Walker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders wore black armbands to commemorate the life of one of their own, Alfie Walker. Walker died of a heart attack on Anzac Day. Raider No.81 played four games for the Green Machine across two season in 1986-87, all off the bench.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: RIP Canberra Raider No. 81, Alfie Walker

Post by Bay53 »

RIP Alfie.

Looking at the very good site rugbyleagueproject.org, he played 3 games in 1986 and 1 in 1987.

He played in a Round 15 1986 loss to Balmain, Round 20 win over Eastern Suburbs and Round 21 loss to North Sydney.

In 1987 his only appearance was the Round 23 loss at Manly - perhaps it was appropriate that we wore black armbands yesterday.

One thing that struck me when looking at those games was the crowd numbers. If you believe some rugby league people, you would think every ground was packed in the late 80s and early 90s.

The crowds for those games at Balmain - 5455, at Sieffert v Easts - 6497, at North Sydney - 3638. Then the game at Manly, remembering that these two sides played in the Grand Final only a month later - 9114.

Suddenly league's golden era doesn't sound as golden.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m pretty sure I was one of the 5455 in the crowd at Seiffert that day as I recall watching him as a youngster. May he Rest In Peace.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders player Alfie Walker passes away

Before league and union star Andrew Walker burst on the footy scene, Walker's older brother, the late Alfie who passed away suddenly last week aged 54, made a name for himself with the Canberra Raiders.

"As a player, Alfie was one of the best tacklers you'd ever meet - if he chopped you, you felt it for days. He was also so clever with the ball, which saw him eventually move in form a winger into half," friend John Pender said.

Read more: https://www.southcoastregister.com.au/s ... y/?cs=7713
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders player, the late Alfie Walker commemorated

Tributes have flowed thick and fast for the late Alfie Walker (senior), who passed away on ANZAC Day of a sudden heart attack.

Walker "was always a very happy-go-lucky sort of a guy and loved a good time," Raiders Hall of Famer Ashley Gilbert said. "He always had a smile on his face. That's what I remember about him. He was always a very genial bloke, too. He'd never pass you by without saying g'day and having a yarn with you."

Read more: https://www.crookwellgazette.com.au/sto ... -greatest/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I always wondered if Alfie was related to Andrew! There you go.

Condolences to their family.