21%

Total votes: 14

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Ruben Daley »

julian87 wrote: April 30, 2019, 10:57 pm
With that in mind I’m really excited to watch Simonsson play on Saturday. I was very critical of his promotion and I’m a subscriber to wingers being as or more likely to cost you a game as win you one. But from the Mounties highlights he looks a really, really exciting prospect. So many outside back backups over the last few years (besides Cotric) have really looked absolute fill ins but this guys highlights are exciting and his debut was pretty bloody solid. He’s no Rapana YET but I won’t be on his case and I’m keen to see what he can do if he gets a bit of space because the kid can seriously motor.
I fixed your Simonsson assessment above. Not saying he will ever get to Rapana's level but it's not impossible. Rapa himself took some time to warm into first grade (with us). I think Simonsson has massive potential.

Agree with your 'bad feel' but I'm hoping this is the year we come out of these types of games with wins. I had a pretty ordinary feel about the Broncos game too and that went all right.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:11 pm
With that in mind I’m really excited to watch Simonsson play on Saturday. I was very critical of his promotion and I’m a subscriber to wingers being as or more likely to cost you a game as win you one. But from the Mounties highlights he looks a really, really exciting prospect. So many outside back backups over the last few years (besides Cotric) have really looked absolute fill ins but this guys highlights are exciting and his debut was pretty bloody solid. He’s no Rapana YET but I won’t be on his case and I’m keen to see what he can do if he gets a bit of space because the kid can seriously motor.
I fixed your Simonsson assessment above. Not saying he will ever get to Rapana's level but it's not impossible. Rapa himself took some time to warm into first grade (with us). I think Simonsson has massive potential.

Agree with your 'bad feel' but I'm hoping this is the year we come out of these types of games with wins. I had a pretty ordinary feel about the Broncos game too and that went all right.
I have a very bad feel right now.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:04 pm
julian87 wrote: April 30, 2019, 10:57 pm I’ve been genuinely trying to enjoy watching Canberra play this season. The last decade has been hard as a hardcore Canberra fan. Campese’s knees into Milford wanting out and then the last 2 seasons following 16’ has been real nightmare stuff for committed fans. The last 2 seasons genuinely had me not enjoying Canberra games. I’d watch it but dread the outcome rather than be excited by a possible great win or great play. This year is a bit different in I think there are more struggling clubs atm too.

With that in mind I’m really excited to watch Simonsson play on Saturday. I was very critical of his promotion and I’m a subscriber to wingers being as or more likely to cost you a game as win you one. But from the Mounties highlights he looks a really, really exciting prospect. So many outside back backups over the last few years (besides Cotric) have really looked absolute fill ins but this guys highlights are exciting and his debut was pretty bloody solid. He’s no Rapana but I won’t be on his case and I’m keen to see what he can do if he gets a bit of space because the kid can seriously motor.

This game has a bad feel about it. Penrith are absolutely stinging for a win and I thought they looked much better last week. We’ve taken a game to Wagga and that’s not good either but I’m keen to watch what the players bounce back with and will enjoy watching it.
I might be more excited if we were playing at home. This is a game we members have paid for but have been denied. We might be playing to build our our “fortress” in front of a big crowd ... but no. Instead, we’ve vacated the city to AFL and Union.

And guess where the Panthers would be preferring to play?

It’s very poor form from the Raiders. The Raiders have treated their own members very poorly.
I don’t disagree with you at all.

Im a North Coast fan and in the 3rd season with no Newcastle game so know how pissed off losing a game makes you.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:11 pm

If the game was at home I would feel a bit more confident. The Panthers are going ok.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Panthers ability to throw the ball around and 2nd phase play will cause us issues like last week if we don't defend better.

We have to wrap the attacker up and limit those chances.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I don't feel great about it either, but the Panthers have lost a bit of strike compared to last year. I don't rate Peachey much at all, but he always carved us up with his ad-lib style, drifting across the ground and offloading. Same with Corey Harawira-Naera. They are missing Whare too, and no Tyrone May off the bench.

Kikau is their biggest threat, but they are getting better at using him as a decoy too. Need to be very solid defensively on that side.

If both teams play to their potential, we should win.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by Green thumbs »

RedRaider wrote: April 30, 2019, 8:24 pm
Green thumbs wrote: April 30, 2019, 4:31 pm
Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2019, 3:53 pm
RedRaider wrote:Other than for injury or the bench I'm not expecting much change in the line up.
I want to wish Ricky and the boys all the best this Saturday in Wagga Wagga which is International Star Wars Day.
May the fourth be with us.
Any my son's birthday. Lucky kid

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
And our 45th wedding anniversary. We have watched a lot of games together over the years and we love the Raiders!
A win on Saturday would be icing on the cake for us. Go Raiders!! Back to your strong defence, razzle dazzle attack and winning ways. We have the team to do it!! :thumbsup
Congratulations on your 45th Wedding Anniversary Green Thumbs. Hopefully the Raiders can provide a sensational ANNIVERSARY gift for both of you. I feel like a Pup after that, We only have 41 years of marriage.
Thanks RedRaider! 41 years is not to be sneezed at! Lets hope for a great win, but I have learnt not to base my happiness in life on the Raiders winning.
May the Fourth be with us on Saturday :D :D
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think Joey and Cotric needs to put a lot of focus on ensuring they get back into position to take those tough early carries off the line early in the set. CNK loves the hard carry but with a lighter body struggles to bend the line at times. I worry Simmonsen is also a lighter frame. Would like to see BJ and Cotric take the lions share of those tough carries and hopefully the game will open up a bit to favour CKN and Simmonsen finding easy meters out of dummy half later in the game.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I agree with you there Billy. Cotric and BJ could have been a but more pro-active in making sure he got in their whichever side of the field it was and make sure they get those early carries. Take responsibility. CNK is a rookie with a bung knee. BJ and Cotric are key players with origin ambitions- should be searching for ways to get in and step up in those circumstances.

There's also a pack of forwards out there who aren't banned from those hit ups either. Jack Wighton is also usually effective at sliding between tacklers to steal 7-8 metres and find his front on a tough carry, instead of getting monstered.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Elliott Whitehead confident Green Machine can tame Penrith Panthers enforcer Kikau

He might play on the other side of the field from Penrith wrecking ball Viliame Kikau, but Raiders star Elliott Whitehead said he wouldn't back down from a clash with the Panthers enforcer this weekend in Wagga.

"He's a good player and I'm sure John (Bateman) will do a good job on him this weekend," Whitehead said. "He's somebody we have to watch out for, but I'm not bothered if he were against me."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/30/whi ... -enforcer/

VIDEO: Elliott Whitehead excited for match in Wagga Wagga

Canberra Raiders English second-rower Elliott Whitehead is looking forward to running out to a packed McDonalds Park on Saturday afternoon when the Raiders take on the Panthers. The England international is wary of the threat of the Panthers and is expecting them to come out firing on the weekend.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... gga-wagga/

VIDEO: Sam Williams full of praise for Panthers halves: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... rs-halves/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Bailey Simonsson and Gary Coyne: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... ry-coyne2/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Panthers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33357

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -panthers/
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Billy Walker wrote: May 1, 2019, 9:16 am I think Joey and Cotric needs to put a lot of focus on ensuring they get back into position to take those tough early carries off the line early in the set. CNK loves the hard carry but with a lighter body struggles to bend the line at times. I worry Simmonsen is also a lighter frame. Would like to see BJ and Cotric take the lions share of those tough carries and hopefully the game will open up a bit to favour CKN and Simmonsen finding easy meters out of dummy half later in the game.
I don’t think Simsonsson is that small. He’s listed at 188cm and 92kg, which is lighter than BJ and Cotric but basically the same as Wighton (189cm/93kg) who is rarely outmuscled. I suspect Simonsson will develop into quite a big winger.

Simonsson is also very fast which helps with metres but also power in the tackle.

But I do agree with your original point that the other two need to take leadership for early metres.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Billy Walker wrote: May 1, 2019, 9:16 am I think Joey and Cotric needs to put a lot of focus on ensuring they get back into position to take those tough early carries off the line early in the set. CNK loves the hard carry but with a lighter body struggles to bend the line at times. I worry Simmonsen is also a lighter frame. Would like to see BJ and Cotric take the lions share of those tough carries and hopefully the game will open up a bit to favour CKN and Simmonsen finding easy meters out of dummy half later in the game.
Agree on the lions share but hopefully someone has also had a quick word to CNK about his running style for those carries. He got caught too upright in the Manly game. It's just a small adjustment but with those carries there's generally many more defenders with you by yourself so the upright carry is less effective. On the other hand it's far better at keeping your speed up when hitting a broken line. I don't remember him being so upright in other games so doubt it'll continue to be an issue.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 1, 2019, 1:04 pm
I don’t think Simsonsson is that small. He’s listed at 188cm and 92kg, which is lighter than BJ and Cotric but basically the same as Wighton (189cm/93kg) who is rarely outmuscled. I suspect Simonsson will develop into quite a big winger.

Simonsson is also very fast which helps with metres but also power in the tackle.

But I do agree with your original point that the other two need to take leadership for early metres.
Those nsw cup highlights were great. Didn't realize he was that quick.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: April 30, 2019, 4:18 pm We are going to have to be at our vert very best to beat Penwiff

Not us..the players !!!
:lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 1, 2019, 5:11 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 30, 2019, 4:18 pm We are going to have to be at our vert very best to beat Penwiff

Not us..the players !!!
We can carry on swilling beer and eating doritos Seiff..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Phew. Lounge pants back on.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: May 1, 2019, 6:00 pm Phew. Lounge pants back on.
Not you zim.

We'll have you on the bench for when we hook Croker..he's rubbish.

No beer/No Doritos for you !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders have half a problem that's set to sort itself out

Sam Williams and Aidan Sezer are battling for the No. 7 jersey at present, but with the potential arrival of Wigan half George Williams in 2020 - what will the spine look like next season? Will Jack Wighton make a return to fullback? What of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, having break out season in the No. 1 jersey?

"It's round eight. I'm not even thinking about that and the attitude I always take is it will work itself out," he said on Wednesday. "It's the last thing on my mind at the moment in regards to next year. I'm worried about this year."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Video: Canberra Raiders host Penrith Panthers in Wagga Wagga on Saturday afternoon. Sam Squiers and Jamie Soward preview the match: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/01/rai ... --round-8/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Well answered Sticky. We are only 7 rounds into season 2019 and the Raiders are currently running 4th. The focus should clearly be on 2019 outcomes.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:Well answered Sticky. We are only 7 rounds into season 2019 and the Raiders are currently running 4th. The focus should clearly be on 2019 outcomes.
Spot on, Red. We should be doing everything in our power to wing the comp THIS SEASON.

People are already looking to next season and talking about offloading Sezer now are absolute **** idiots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: May 1, 2019, 8:22 pm
RedRaider wrote:Well answered Sticky. We are only 7 rounds into season 2019 and the Raiders are currently running 4th. The focus should clearly be on 2019 outcomes.
Spot on, Red. We should be doing everything in our power to wing the comp THIS SEASON.

People are already looking to next season and talking about offloading Sezer now are absolute **** idiots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed. Lets throw away our best start to a season in forever because **** sezer
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: May 1, 2019, 6:09 pm
zim wrote: May 1, 2019, 6:00 pm Phew. Lounge pants back on.
Not you zim.

We'll have you on the bench for when we hook Croker..he's rubbish.

No beer/No Doritos for you !!
Make me co-captain. I'll give you an emotional press conference at least.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: May 1, 2019, 5:44 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: May 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Not us..the players !!!
We can carry on swilling beer and eating doritos Seiff..
What makes you think I'll be swilling beer and eating doritos Peej?

:lol: Who the **** am I kidding? I'll be doing that and meat pies.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looking at the the draw this really is a huge game. We have a tough run the rest of the year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Great story on Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman in today’s Daily Telegraph! #wearecbr #bleedgreen #nrl  #weareraiders  #rugbyleague #canberraraiders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Gotta say Im happy for the team to be 5 and 2 after 7 rounds. Puts us in a much better position than previous years.
After reading about our disadvantages re: the short turnarounds, I have even greater admiration for them. I Expect the turnaround situation to even itself out through the season. It will be interesting to see if it does.

For reference: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders cop short end of NRL scheduling stick

The Raiders' clash against the Panthers at Wagga will be the fifth time this season they've had a shorter preparation than their opponents, but Ricky Stuart is proud his team hasn't used this as an excuse.

"I'm really proud of how we haven't whinged about it, we just get on with it ... the way we've handled it, the way we've started is a great credit to the players. But we're used to copping the short end of the stick with scheduling. We're very good at handling the adversity."

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders have high hopes of long term deal with Wagga

CANBERRA Raiders coach Ricky Stuart and captain Jarrod Croker have urged the NRL to make it compulsory for clubs to move games to the country, adamant the club is "fair dinkum" about being in Wagga for the long haul.

Asked if the NRL should take the decision out of the club's hands and make it compulsory to play games each year in the country, Stuart said: "If we're serious about promoting the game in the country, 100 per cent.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I see Tuxy has moved to the Daily Advertiser... which seems to be part of Fairfax.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: May 2, 2019, 6:08 pm Canberra Raiders cop short end of NRL scheduling stick

The Raiders' clash against the Panthers at Wagga will be the fifth time this season they've had a shorter preparation than their opponents, but Ricky Stuart is proud his team hasn't used this as an excuse.

"I'm really proud of how we haven't whinged about it, we just get on with it ... the way we've handled it, the way we've started is a great credit to the players. But we're used to copping the short end of the stick with scheduling. We're very good at handling the adversity."

So we're not whinging about it but we will mention it, to make sure everyone knows....

Nice one coach..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lighter Canberra Raiders packing bigger punch in defence before Wagga clash with Penrith

CANBERRA Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson says the team's transformation into the 'bad and lean, Green Machine' has helped spark their defensive turnaround this season.

"One of the biggest things is the personnel, for us we've got a smaller team so when we're under the pump we have a bit more leg speed for a little bit longer. It's really helped us in a lot of games this year," Hodgson said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: May 2, 2019, 6:38 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 2, 2019, 6:08 pm Canberra Raiders cop short end of NRL scheduling stick

So we're not whinging about it but we will mention it, to make sure everyone knows....

Nice one coach..
If only he had stopped at the full stop before 'But'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart banking on high-energy performance against Penrith Panthers

Coach Ricky Stuart admits the Raiders were flat heading into their last-start loss to Manly but expects them to atone against a desperate Panthers outfit in Wagga on Saturday.

"The boys were all really disappointed with our performance last week, which is a good sign," Stuart said. "The Brisbane game took a lot out of us going into the Manly game. I had to modify a lot of our work last week in terms of the (training) loads because of that Brisbane game.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/02/stu ... -panthers/

VIDEO: Coach's Comment: Stuart previews Panthers clash: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... ers-clash/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Little English fella in 11th heaven

The little English fella goes alright. Alright? OK, a bit better than alright. He's one of the best in the game. It's safe to say Dean Lance likes John Bateman.

""He's a good player that Kikau ... but I tell you what, the little English fella goes alright too. He's a terrific player ... he's proving now to be one of the best. To say once he gets used to the speed of the game, but I think he's already got that sorted.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: May 2, 2019, 6:57 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 2, 2019, 6:38 pm

Nice one coach..
If only he had stopped at the full stop before 'But'
Also, time will tell if we're "very good at handling the adversity", as recent history suggests the complete opposite.