Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget ABC Radio Canberra Grandstand with Brett McKay Saturday after 11am Saturday. You can listen live: http://www.abc.net.au/canberra

You can SMS the program with Raiders comments and questions on 0467 922 666.

Or you can call on 1300 681 666 (at the cost of a local call).

Or send him a tweet @BMcSport on twitter.

Ricky Stuart will be on the program, an interview he recorded earlier before this morning's captains' run.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker interview on 100 games as captain:

Wasn't really aware of that, something I'm really proud of. When made captain, I was only 24, still pretty young then. I've changed a lot, matured a lot. That was Ricky's first year as coach. I feel I've played my best footy under Stick.

Ricky Stuart interview:

Jarrod Croker. It's going to be very interesting to see where he gets to with all his numbers. He's one of our great players, Jarrod is going to be around Canberra and Goulburn for many, many years. We can't talk too much about the future, but he'll create the sort of numbers anyone would be very proud of.

When I made him captain, I saw the future. It was a very big decision, to have the trust in him. But I knew the integrity of the guy. It was a big decision, as I knew he'd be a captain for a long time. With the co-captaincy, it's helped us. I felt Jarrod wasn't getting enough assistance, but its a good strategy, working for us on field. It's helping to free him up, so he can focus more on his own game. It's difficult being captain on the edge, and we're fortunate to have a player who may captain of England in the middle.

Manly on Sunday. What is it about Manly at Brookvale that produces a "grind". It's probably the style of football they need when they play us. The uglier it is, the better for them. We have to be prepared to play ugly too. I'm not just talking about the ruck, but also the short 10. The better we stay composed, then there's a chance of it opening up later. But we haven't been practising for it to open up this week. We've been practising the grind.

Every week is a test. There is no easy game. Every week in the NRL is a different style, every week we need the compettion points. There's a test every week, and there are huge hours to prepare the players mentally, physically and strategically.

Playing away? We've probably had more success away than we have at home. I've spoken about making our home game a fortress.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Didn't ask the obvious question about the fitness of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad... will the team be 1-17...

But The Canberra Times did have a story yesterday suggesting CNK is will play.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'd like to know what nickname the boys use for Charnze..

Get back to us GE.

I'll wait !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Along with the roster changes and focus on defence the adjustment to co-captains in the off season has been a positive for the side. The blend of captaincy styles in Sticky's words is "working for us on field". That's the place that matters.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:I'd like to know what nickname the boys use for Charnze..

Get back to us GE.

I'll wait !!
I hope this helps. Oh, wait...
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think he's right about the grind. I suspect Manly will try to make it a pretty gritty game. They will probably want to keep it tight in the middle.

I do hope we chance our hand with the ball though. We totally have them on the edges. All things being equal, our second row and three-quarters crap all over theirs.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

One could argue that the best way to make our home ground a fortress is to play home games there.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Bay53 wrote:One could argue that the best way to make our home ground a fortress is to play home games there.
Don't forget emptying the tank.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.